CocoFaerie

Washington Area Traffic Advisory

This thread will contain any important route changes or diversions, as well as important info for those moving around the D.C. Convention Center.

To start, those in & around Penn Quarter & Chinatown should note that parking meters there have changed to the performance-based model, as per a pilot program which a few other areas of D.C. are using as well.  Those rates are in the rinku below.

Report from WTOP Radio

More to come.

Edited by CocoFaerie

From WTOP:

Some interesting developments regarding TOLL roads on VA Interstates.

Developing:  D.C. Metro should be voting on a new budget on March 23.  If approved, this will increase rail & bus fares, and reduce/eliminate some service!

Details from WTOP Radio

Latest developments

Please be aware that those planning to use metro may berry well be affected by this plan, and not in a good way.

I had a chuckle about the WEWCC description on the Otakon.com website: "and a first-rate subway system, Metro."

Given the current controversy surrounding Metro's safety and its oversight, calling it "first-rate" sounds like an alternate fact made up by the person currently sitting in the White house.

That said, I plan on taking Metro in from the Vienna station every day and going home at night.

• Like 1

Whelp hons, the fare increase & service cuts have been approved by the metro board, with more possible in 2018!

WTOP article

These changes are active from July 1.

NEWS 4's Jackie Bensen has a report on new parking meters going up around the National Mall!

The long story short is these meters will be enforced daily beginning June 12, and will cost $2/hr, MAX 3 hrs...oh, and they're going to be the ONLY year-round meters in the District, for now.

Edited by CocoFaerie

The latest from the trainwreck that is Metro:  NEW waterproofing is expected to be tested in the tunnels of the western half of the RED line.  However, this means that portion of the line will be CLOSED on weekends from July 10 thru Aug 11!  A bus bridge will be provided during those times.  More detail from this FOX 5 News Report

If you are coming to or from the con from this end, please make preparations for some serious delays!

Edited by CocoFaerie

3 hours ago, CocoFaerie said:

The latest from the trainwreck that is Metro:  NEW waterproofing is expected to be tested in the tunnels of the western half of the RED line.  However, this means that portion of the line will be CLOSED on weekends from July 10 thru Aug 11!  A bus bridge will be provided during those times.  More detail from this FOX 5 News Report

If you are coming to or from the con from this end, please make preparations for some serious delays!

Good Grief!!!  Basically a whole month.  But Aug 11 does interfere with Otakon.  I was at the Twinbrook subway last week (or so?) when they had buses taking people to Rockville and Shady Grove -- it was bedlam!  Masses of people lining up for the buses.

I'm hoping someone from the Otakon staff can negotiate with wmata (though it'd probably be a really hard thing to do), and ask them to start a day or two early, so Friday Aug 11 won't be affected.  It'll be such a major hassle for people using that part of the red line.

An alternative, though really expensive and a lot of effort, might be to find a hotel for Friday.  If the Otakon hotels are all full, there are LOTS of hotels near (or right next to) different subway stops.  I'm partial to the Crystal Gateway Marriott in Arlington, Virginia -- at the Crystal City subway stop.  You don't even have to go above ground to get to the hotel and there's an underground mall (with a Rite Aid for supplies) right there too.  And once you're on the train at Crystal City, it's only about 10-15 minutes to the WEWCC.  Though this hotel might have been mentioned before (sorry if it's duplicate info).

Sorry to ramble.  I was afraid the metro would have delays.  At least it won't be the entire weekend.

Fadamor, that's funny about the first-rate subway system!  Hopefully, the Vienna station should be hassle-free for you!

Edited by EdKitten

On 3/20/2017 at 10:59 AM, Fadamor said:

I had a chuckle about the WEWCC description on the Otakon.com website: "and a first-rate subway system, Metro."

Given the current controversy surrounding Metro's safety and its oversight, calling it "first-rate" sounds like an alternate fact made up by the person currently sitting in the White house.

That said, I plan on taking Metro in from the Vienna station every day and going home at night.

The scary thing is the DC metro is ranked as best in the country. If that's not a sad statement on US infrastructure, I don't know what is - https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/tripping/wp/2016/02/24/d-c-s-metro-is-the-no-1-transit-system-in-the-nation-yes-you-read-that-right/?utm_term=.b8be4b8d9104

So at the moment it doesn't look like Otakon weekend will be affected directly:

On weeknights from July 10 through Aug. 11, Red Line trains will single-track between Friendship Heights and Medical Center.

The weekend shutdowns between Grosvenor and Friendship Heights will be:

Saturday, July 15 and Sunday, July 16

Saturday, July 22 and Sunday, July 23

Saturday, July 29 and Sunday, July 30

Saturday, Aug. 5 and Sunday, Aug. 6

http://wtop.com/tracking-metro-24-7/2017/06/multiple-red-line-weekend-shutdowns-water-seal-work/

Edited by windseeker

Yes it will be.. scheduled single tracking redline downtown aug 12 and 13 

Here's another advice concerning those using Metro.  The Suitland & Branch Ave. stations on the GREEN line will be CLOSED Aug. 5-20 for major improvements.  Similar to the Light Rail work up the Parkway in Baltimore, a bus bridge is being implemented.  This may affect train frequencies so you may want to pack a few extra mins if you are using Metro.

I am going on tuesday to Dc using metro via sliver springs. Just to get feel for it before Otakon. there any tips anyone can offer and what to lookout for?

Park in the NOAA building next to the Metro station. Its free on weekends

Sent from my YP-G70 using Tapatalk 2

Those commuting to/from the Baltimore Area (where the BronyCon will be this wknd) will be happy to know Light RailLink service is back to full operations this morn!!  All stops between Camden Yards & North Avenue are repoened.

• Like 1

The red line was single-tracked yesterday - at least between Metro Center and Gallery Place. My route into the convention center was Orange line/Red line/Green (or yellow) line. :(

I DID get to ride on the new "7000 series" cars, though. It was a nice improvement over the (MUCH older) 5000 series that has the structural flaws that resulted in deaths. You can tell the difference by the serial number of the car or - more obviously - the color motif of the car (orange for the 5000 series, blue for the 7000 series).

Does anyone know what happened on Thursday at around 3 PM near the Smithsonian? I took the Green line down but when I wanted to go back to the hotel, there were cops, barricades, and police tape. I heard someone ask a cop 'Are we going to have to evacuate the building?', but nothing showed up on the news that night.

I ended up walking back to the hotel. Thankfully it wasn't super hot and humid, or I might not have made it.

21 hours ago, Fadamor said:

The red line was single-tracked yesterday - at least between Metro Center and Gallery Place. My route into the convention center was Orange line/Red line/Green (or yellow) line. :(

I DID get to ride on the new "7000 series" cars, though. It was a nice improvement over the (MUCH older) 5000 series that has the structural flaws that resulted in deaths. You can tell the difference by the serial number of the car or - more obviously - the color motif of the car (orange for the 5000 series, blue for the 7000 series).

I did notice that on my way out of the Otakon Saturday (was heading to Union Station for Bojangles & Mary the MARC Train).  It must have been a broken down train er something because the storm hadn't hit yet.

Edited by CocoFaerie

34 minutes ago, CocoFaerie said:

I did notice that on my way out of the Otakon Saturday (was heading to Union Station for Bojangles & Mary the MARC Train).  It must have been a broken down train er something because the storm hadn't hit yet.

The Red Line was single-tracked all weekend for track maintenance. Given that Metro has been criticized for delaying maintenance for too long, I'll put up with single-tracking if it makes Metrorail safer.

Edited by Fadamor