CocoFaerie

Washington Area Traffic Advisory

8 posts in this topic

This thread will contain any important route changes or diversions, as well as important info for those moving around the D.C. Convention Center.

To start, those in & around Penn Quarter & Chinatown should note that parking meters there have changed to the performance-based model, as per a pilot program which a few other areas of D.C. are using as well.  Those rates are in the rinku below.

Report from WTOP Radio

More to come.

Edited by CocoFaerie

they go on sale in 2 days I thought

I will probably take Amtrak instead of driving to Washington DC for this year's Otakon.

From WTOP:

Some interesting developments regarding TOLL roads on VA Interstates.

Developing:  D.C. Metro should be voting on a new budget on March 23.  If approved, this will increase rail & bus fares, and reduce/eliminate some service!

Details from WTOP Radio

Latest developments

Please be aware that those planning to use metro may berry well be affected by this plan, and not in a good way.

I had a chuckle about the WEWCC description on the Otakon.com website: "and a first-rate subway system, Metro."

Given the current controversy surrounding Metro's safety and its oversight, calling it "first-rate" sounds like an alternate fact made up by the person currently sitting in the White house.

That said, I plan on taking Metro in from the Vienna station every day and going home at night.

Whelp hons, the fare increase & service cuts have been approved by the metro board, with more possible in 2018!

WTOP article

These changes are active from July 1.

Posted (edited)

NEWS 4's Jackie Bensen has a report on new parking meters going up around the National Mall!

The long story short is these meters will be enforced daily beginning June 12, and will cost $2/hr, MAX 3 hrs...oh, and they're going to be the ONLY year-round meters in the District, for now.

Edited by CocoFaerie