Fadamor

Leave the Quadcopters at Home

This will be a bit from out of left field, but I think it's something some people may not think about until they're facing law enforcement. External drone videos of Otakon or the Matsuri with your small drone system seem like a great idea at first, but please be aware:

Small Unmanned Aerial Systems, Remotely Piloted vehicles, Drones, Quadcopters, whatever you want to call them... they are illegal to fly in Washington DC without express written permission from the FAA. Unlike most of the U.S., the size of the drone or whether you are using it as a hobbyist does not matter. The Flight Restriction Zone (FRZ) is the inner portion of the Special Flight Rules Area (SFRA) and extends in a 15 mile radius from Reagan International Airport that prohibits any drone activity (unless you get FAA authorization, and you can imagine how many agencies are going to be looking closely at you and your drone before that happens.)  From the FAA's website:

DC No Drone Zone

The National Capital Region is governed by a Special Flight Rules Area (SFRA) within a 30-mile radius of Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport, which restricts all flights in the greater DC area.

The SFRA is divided into a 15-mile radius inner ring and a 30-mile radius outer ring.

• Flying an unmanned aircraft within the 15-mile radius inner ring is prohibited without specific FAA authorization.
Edited by Fadamor

I would also like to say that if you are able to get that written permission from the FAA you should also register your drone/RC plane due to a new ruling by the FAA.

• The penalty for not registering it is a hefty one with a criminal fine of $250,000 and/or imprisonment for up to 3 years and additional civil penalties of $27,500.
  • You will also need proof of the certificate to which you must carry with you no matter what.

I think it costs about $50 to register a drone and good for three years to which you need to renew it.

Not sure where you got that link, but it's not the correct one. A government registration site is never going to have a .com domain. The correct one is: https://registermyuas.faa.gov/ and the registration fee is $5.

Small Unmanned Aerial Systems (sUAS) between .55 pounds and 55 pounds have to be registered with the FAA. Basically, if your drone weighs less than a half pound you do not need to register the drone. If you only will be flying the drone indoors (usually only those drones that fit in the palm of your hand), then you do not need to register the drone with the FAA.

If your UAS weighs more than 55 pounds, then it is not "small" and must be registered under the FAA's procedures for manned aircraft. This will give it an "N" number like you see on the tail of manned aircraft.

If registered, the drone has to have the registration number somewhere on the aircraft that doesn't require tools to view. Some operators put the registration number inside the battery compartment. Mine is on a weatherproof label on the top of the sUAS. Additionally, you will need the registration certificate (sent to you via email as soon as you register) available for presentation on demand from law enforcement. I keep mine in the carry case for the drone.

By the way, the odds of getting FAA permission to fly inside the FRZ are pretty much non-existent unless you are flying for a news organization, a movie shoot, or the Feds. Also, permission will never be given to non-registered devices.

Edited by Fadamor
  • Like 2

DC is a no fly zone they dont play at all, and I will register my flying toys when I have to register my lego's.  Ignore stupid laws, RC flying toys, up to 55lbs have a long history of safely operating in our NAS.

None of my planes, helis, ornithopters, or quadrotors are, or will ever be registered. 

Edited by Trenoxx

On that note, although it's not an official policy yet and we'll have to check the convention center's rulebook, assume that it will be frowned upon by many if you are flying small RC aircraft inside the WEWCC. 

As previously stated in another thread, drones and RC aircraft are NOT permitted at Otakon.

Edited by kimmibeans

Aww, and I was hoping to see someone take one out with a thrown spear IRL. ;)

(j/k.)

Since registration was brought up in here, and its a pet peeve of mine, sorry : https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2890686-Federal-Appeals-Court-The-FAA-s-Registration-Rule-Violates-Section-336

Like I said don't bother with wasting your money

But do NOT bring anything RC into DC, you are only asking for problems.  Even if it were to be legal, you would be spending your convention time at the station explaining how it was legal instead of just having fun.  Leave the RC toys at home and go have fun in DC

• Like 1

On 5/16/2017 at 7:18 PM, Trenoxx said:

Ignore stupid laws, RC flying toys, up to 55lbs have a long history of safely operating in our NAS.

A quick search on YouTube using the search term "drone fails" will rapidly give lie to your claim of a "long history of safely operating". Count the number of people struck by out of control drones in those videos and get back to me on that "long history", OK?

25 minutes ago, Fadamor said:

A quick search on YouTube using the search term "drone fails" will rapidly give lie to your claim of a "long history of safely operating". Count the number of people struck by out of control drones in those videos and get back to me on that "long history", OK?

Well the FAA's study seems to indicate otherwise.  Here is fortune's report on it http://fortune.com/2017/04/29/drone-faa-head-crash-study/

Last fatality with a RC toy was in 2013, and it was the operator who was killed. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/07/nyregion/flying-model-aircraft-comes-under-scrutiny-after-fatal-accident-in-brooklyn-park.html

All of these hobbies has a far greater death risk :

• Bungee Jumping.
  • Scuba/Deep Sea Diving. ...
  • Skydiving. ...
  • Ski Jumping. ...
  • Heli-Skiing. ...
  • Cliff Diving/Base Jumping. ...
  • Boxing. ...
  • Summit/Rock Climbing.

Last fatality for a car? 1 second ago.  Hammers have more kills on record, so do butter knives.http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/baseballbats.asp

A quick search on youtube of "hold my beer" turns up items that are far more likely to cause harm to you or someone else.

I can pull up thousands of car crash videos involving unknowing pedestrians, its an unsafe world.

I know its easier to fear the unknown, but flying toys aren't the issue. All more laws will do is make more criminals, the "problem" wont be solved.  Plenty of laws on the books already no need for more on this.

• Like 1

On 08/09/2017 at 0:04 PM, Trenoxx said:

I know its easier to fear the unknown, but flying toys aren't the issue. All more laws will do is make more criminals, the "problem" wont be solved.  Plenty of laws on the books already no need for more on this.

The problem  is though that this long history you speak of is from the days before the drone craze. Now you can walk into Walmart and buy you kid some cheap drone which they will then crash in seconds. More often than not I find drone videos of people blatantly violating the AMA  Safety Code let alone FAA rules.

On 8/9/2017 at 0:04 PM, Trenoxx said:

I can pull up thousands of car crash videos involving unknowing pedestrians, its an unsafe world.

Are we to infer from your example that you think there's some "number of deaths threshold" that must be reached before people should obey laws regarding registering human-operated vehicles that can cause bodily injury or property damage?

There are numerous cases where people piloted drones that were using GPS positioning while flying near tall buildings and suddenly losing control of the drone. This is caused by lazy people not understanding how GPS works and the limitations inherent with GPS. When the receiver (the drone) is located near large objects that can bounce the GPS signals, the multi-path routes the signals take to get to the receiver cause the calculated position to jump all over the place. The drone tries to correct its commanded position based on the erroneous GPS data and moves - usually into the side of a structure. The damaged drone then falls to the street or sidewalk below, endangering pedestrians. Of course, the ignorant pilot then blames the "defective" drone for going out of control when it was the pilot who put the drone into a situation guaranteed to cause a crash.

Question: What is the percentage of people - who don't register their drone as required by law - coming forward and accepting responsibility for any property damage or bodily injury caused by their drone?

Answer: 0% They've already broken the law in order to prevent their drone from being legally connected to them in any manner, so these "fine examples of humanity" will stay silent about their culpability for as long as they possibly can.

Edited by Fadamor

So when black people in the early part of the 1900 used "white only" water fountains, and broke the sacred gospel of the law,........................................  Yea stupid laws are to be ignored

5 hours ago, Trenoxx said:

So when black people in the early part of the 1900 used "white only" water fountains, and broke the sacred gospel of the law,........................................  Yea stupid laws are to be ignored

You're comparing apples to oranges here. There's no comparison between someone drinking out of a fountain and a flying chunk of plastic and metal with a vulnerable lithium battery strapped to it. There have already been incidents where bystanders have been hit by drones because someone decided to fly over a crowed. 

• Like 1

Its a stupid law that should be ignored, apples to apples in my view.

I fly out front of my house, over the road almost every day.  Have been doing so for well over 15 years now. I have taken countless numbers of kids and parents from the neighborhood on rides around the area. I will NEVER register my flying toys, and will keep playing with them.  You punish morons for doing dumb things, not punish everyone for a moron doing dumb things.

We had a moron drive his car into a crowd this weekend, if all cars had speed / acceleration governors interlocked to local laws this could have been avoided..........  If every citizen was required to wear an impact resistant bubble suit this could have been avoided ............  If all cars were self driving, and government controlled soo many lives could be saved.......    Life has risk

There is nothing you can say that will make me stop playing with my toys or register them with some government agency.

I'm sure that your noble stand will long be remembered.  <_<

Meanwhile, they are not allowed inside Otakon and generally not allowed inside DC.

On 8/16/2017 at 3:42 PM, alabaster said:

Meanwhile, they are not allowed inside Otakon and generally not allowed inside DC.

Yeah, while it's not IMPOSSIBLE that you might see a drone in flight within DC's Flight Restriction Zone, it won't be legally there without express written permission from the FAA. It's going to be a Fed drone, a news crew's drone, or part of a movie shoot. The rest of us won't get permission.