Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aresef

Loudness cancels US tour after unexpected immigration trouble

6 posts in this topic

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/2017/04/20/music/veteran-heavy-metal-band-loudness-cancels-u-s-tour-barred-immigration/#.WPkT6fnyuUl

"Katana Music said the performers it handles are usually cleared to enter the U.S. if they have proper invitation letters but that immigration officials requested visas this time."

If I recall, the requirement for musicians to have performance visas is something that has been around for several years now. So it sounds like someone didn't do their job with respect to clearing the act's travel. 

2 hours ago, MattTheMinion said:

If I recall, the requirement for musicians to have performance visas is something that has been around for several years now. So it sounds like someone didn't do their job with respect to clearing the act's travel. 

So what you're implying is we don't have to worry too much about Otakon being affected, that Otakon, Lantis etc. do do their jobs.

We are aware of the various regulations and requirements, and do our best to ensure the folks we bring over meet them. Of course we cannot submit a visa application for someone who is not part of our organization.

In the article's case I think it was someone basically thinking that nothing had changed or "we didn't do this before, why should we have to now?" 

On 4/21/2017 at 1:35 PM, MattTheMinion said:

We are aware of the various regulations and requirements, and do our best to ensure the folks we bring over meet them. Of course we cannot submit a visa application for someone who is not part of our organization.

In the article's case I think it was someone basically thinking that nothing had changed or "we didn't do this before, why should we have to now?" 

Phew.

Given what it costs to process those sorts of applications, and the stricter enforcement, I fear you'll see fewer new-to-the-US Japanese acts without serious money behind them.