RavenNinja

The Ultimate Convention Sing-Along/Dance-Along Playlist Vol. 3: Take This, Guardians of the Galaxy!

After two years of fun and success in Baltimore, it's time once again to plan how to fill our new halls of Otakon goodness with music, dance and good times! The mission stays the same: I want to build the best, crowd-sourced nerdy music playlist to keep as many people as possible singing, dancing and having the best time through the convention we love so much and this year, we're going even bigger! Gone are the days of the tiny cube Bluetooth speaker... say hello to the new music machine that'll be pumping out the tunes this year! 470 watts of power with built-in lighting effects. I'm also pondering investing in a computer-based DJ controller for some added fun, but that's still up in the air. Anyway, enough with the technical side of things, let's get to honing this playlist down some more. Here's the current version I used from last year's event.

Ultimate Convention Sing/Dance Playlist (Otakon '16 Edition):

I'll Make A Man Out Of You - Mulan soundtrack
Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
Let It Go - Idina Menzel
Don't Stop Believing - Journey
Uptown Funk - Mark Ronson ft. Bruno Mars
Never Gonna Give You Up - Rick Astley
Gangnam Style - PSY
Pokemon Theme
Sailor Moon Theme (dub)
Chip 'N Dale Rescue Rangers Theme
What Is Love - Haddaway
Turn Down For What - Lil Jon/DJ Snake
What's Up - 4 Non-Blondes (He-Man Version)
Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger - Daft Punk
One More Time - Daft Punk
Sweet Caroline - Neil Diamond
Build Me Up Buttercup - The Foundations
I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) - The Proclaimers
Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes
Hooked On A Feeling - Blue Swede
Carry On Wayward Son - Kansas
Mahna Mahna - The Muppets
The Final Countdown - Europe
Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego Theme
Ducktales Theme
Day Man - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Seasons of Love - Cast of RENT
Still Alive - Jonathan Coulton
Livin' On A Prayer - Bon Jovi
Come and Get Your Love - Redbone
Code Monkey -  Jonathan Coulton
Ikea - Jonathan Coulton
Skullcrusher Mountain - Jonathan Coulton
Space Unicorn - Parry Gripp
Raining Tacos - Parry Gripp
Try Everything - Shakira (Gazelle)
Busy Earnin' - Jungle
Chains of Love - Erasure
Hero (One Punch Man Theme) - Jonathan Young
City Escape (Sonic Adventure 2) - Jonathan Young
Danger Zone - Kenny Loggins
Stand Out (from A Goofy Movie) - Tevin Campbell
I-2-I (from A Goofy Movie) - Tevin Campbell
Don't Stop Me Now - Queen
Cruel Angel's Thesis - NGE Theme
Shoop - Salt-N-Pepa
Pokemon Season 2 Theme (We All Live In A Pokemon World)
White and Nerdy - Weird Al Yankovic 
Sandstorm - Darude
Bobby Roode Entrance Theme  (GLORIOUS)
New Day Entrance theme 
Everybody Wants To Rule The World - Ninja Sex Party

So that's where we stand right now. I already know that the first couple songs I want to add are from a more recent personal musical obsession, Heathers the Musical. I'm easily going to add Candy Store and Freeze Your Brain from that cast recording; the former because I think it's the best song from the musical overall and even though it may have some slight language in it, it's too catchy to leave out and the prospect of shouting out "SHUT UP, HEATHER" is too good, and the latter because I can actually sing that song comfortably, going on the previously established precedent of the Jonathan Coulton songs on the playlist. I also need to pour through the Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 soundtrack for quality tracks, since the original's soundtrack was good for some choice musical cuts. Of course, this is just my part of the contributions, the biggest part is coming from all of you out there, the faithful Otakon attendee! As I did the past two years, I'm taking suggestions on what to add to this list and could not fully make this idea what it is without the help of everyone, as my overall musical tastes skew oddly and i want to make sure I don't miss anything really catchy.

Please note, that like in past years, this is a fully independent project, done through my own love of sharing music and singing for everyone. Even though I personally am a staff member of this convention, this is not an officially sponsored activity and I fully accept any responsibility if this is against any of our show's policies. In short, this is all me, if I'm doing something wrong, tell me and I'll cut it out.

Also, since we're in a completely new space in DC starting this year, I'm not quite sure where I'm going to attempt to set up this time around. I'm going to try and do at least one scouting trip of the WEWCC, hopefully if I can attend AwesomeCon, to figure out what will work. Locations may be touch and go for a while, but I'm confident with the new equipment, we can fill up whatever space I can find with the extra power of that new speaker.

So there you have it, Otakon faithful, hall singalong is definitely coming back, even better than before! Get cracking on those suggestions and if anyone has any existing insight on a space that would be a good spot for our little bit of fun that's highly appreciated too!

(P.S. I'm bringing back my Kevin Owens cosplay from last year and improving on it with multiple variations. It got a positive reception like nothing I've done before, so why mess with a good thing?)

• Like 1

I might have one -- how about Onya no Ko☆girl, by Walkure?

On 5/14/2017 at 3:07 PM, onsenmark said:

I might have one -- how about Onya no Ko☆girl, by Walkure?

I can't seem to find a good version of this song without it cutting away to more of the anime it's featured in. Kind of hard for me to judge something without a version i could actually play as part of this. If you can link me to it, I'll give it a listen, but as of now, I can't really do much with that suggestion. Don't let that discourage you, though, keep up the suggestions! That goes for everyone, don't be shy! We have a long way to go, so suggest things (and link a good version of them if you can!)

Anyway, as I mentioned in the first post, I'm currently pouring through the Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 soundtrack and as i thought, I knew there'd be a lot of contenders for this playlist from the outset. After digging deeper I can at least decide on a preliminary batch. Mr. Blue Sky by Electric Light Orchestra, The Chain by Fleetwood Mac, Come A Little Bit Closer by Jay and The Americans and Wham Bam Shang-A-Lang by Silver are all strong here. Maybe even Flashlight by Parliament if I'm feeling funky enough. They all evoke major scenes from the movie, bring a nice variety of musical styles to the party and I can even sing a nice majority of them, so an even bigger plus. Not saying every single one makes the final list, but all of these tracks seem worth considering.

How about something from new nerdy Broadway favorite Hamilton? I'm not sure which song would work best for this playlist, but "My Shot" was used as the music for the AMV which won the Action category last year in the AMV contest.

47 minutes ago, Krabstarr said:

How about something from new nerdy Broadway favorite Hamilton? I'm not sure which song would work best for this playlist, but "My Shot" was used as the music for the AMV which won the Action category last year in the AMV contest.

I second this. Maybe even have the song "The Room Where It Happens". It fast paced, beat-y and catchy.

Ah yes, Hamilton, I've been meaning to check that out. Well I can tell you from the first listen of it, I'm definitely taking that suggestion of My Shot and putting it right on the list. That is an excellent choice on multiple grounds. With this and the previously mentioned additions to the playlist, it looks a little something like this:

Ultimate Convention Sing/Dance Playlist (Otakon '17 Edition, Version 1):

Let It Go - Idina Menzel
Gangnam Style - PSY
Pokemon Theme
Sailor Moon Theme (dub)
What Is Love - Haddaway
Ducktales Theme
Ikea - Jonathan Coulton
Busy Earnin' - Jungle
Chains of Love - Erasure
Shoop - Salt-N-Pepa
Sandstorm - Darude
New Day Entrance Theme
Everybody Wants to Rule The World - Ninja Sex Party
My Shot - Hamilton
Candy Store - Heathers
Freeze your Brain - Heathers
Mr. Blue Sky - ELO
Wham Bam Shang-a-Lang - Silver
Come A Little Bit Closer - Jay & The Americans
Flashlight - Parliament
Edited by RavenNinja
Became Hit-Enter-Too-Soon Man.

3 minutes ago, mellow-osity said:

I love that Day Man in on this. :lol:

Thanks, that one actually came from an outside suggestion from the first year I did this project back in 2015. it took forever to find a good long version of the Day Man song but it was worth it.

A copule-few(tm) suggestions . . .

• Yellow Submarine - The Beatles
  • Speed Racer - Danny Davis and the Nashville Brass
  • Spider-Man - original 60's cartoon version
  • Rappers Delight - Sugar Hill Gang
  • Sweet Child of Mine - Guns & Roses
  • I Will Survive - Gloria Gaynor
  • Heart of Sword - T.M. Revolution

#OldHead

Hope I catch some of the songs RavenNinja -- haven't heard some of those in ages!

And just a few suggestions:

Portal's "Still Alive" (not sure of a link, but you can catch it at Youtube, search:  portal still alive hd)

Pretty Woman by Roy Orbison

Someone in the Crowd (from the movie La La Land)

Another Day of Sun (from the movie La La Land (in fact, ANY song from La La Land's soundtrack))

Edited by EdKitten

Well, between these fresh new suggestions and a brainstorming session I had during a slow work day today, I have a lot to consider adding to the list now! (EdKitten, i actually have Still Alive on the list already, just wanted point that out.)

Outside of those above, the other songs I'm contemplating adding are as follows:

Particle Man and/or Istanbul not Constantinople by They Might Be Giants (I got reminded of an old episode of Tiny Toon Adventures where they did music videos to these and a bunch of other old songs and these were my favorites.)

Ghostbusters by Ray Parker Jr. (Another one of those no-brainers that somehow took forever for me to think of; Such a classic theme song needs to be with others of its kind.)

Axel F by Harold Faltermeyer (Also known as the iconic theme to Beverly Hills Cop, this tune is synonymous with the 1980s. Don't worry, the Crazy Frog version won't be anywhere near this.)

The Touch by Stan Bush (If you know Transformers, you know this song.)

15 hours ago, RavenNinja said:

The Touch is an excellent choice, though it will be lost on the younger attendees who haven't seen the now over 30 year old Transformers: The Movie.

2 minutes ago, Krabstarr said:

The Touch is an excellent choice, though it will be lost on the younger attendees who haven't seen the now over 30 year old Transformers: The Movie.

Yeah I may lose the younger demo, but I guarantee if I play that, someone in the older age range will hear it and jam right along to it. That potential reaction far outweighs the lack of reaction from the younger set and that's the kind of thing the whole project is all about, outside of giving myself stuff to sing in front of everyone. I want that moment when someone thinks "OMG it's (insert song here)! That's my jam!" when they hear a good chunk of this music. Plus it's just an amazing '80s hype song even if you remove the Transformers context.

On May 18, 2017 at 9:59 PM, RavenNinja said:

Well, between these fresh new suggestions and a brainstorming session I had during a slow work day today, I have a lot to consider adding to the list now! (EdKitten, i actually have Still Alive on the list already, just wanted point that out.)

Outside of those above, the other songs I'm contemplating adding are as follows:

Particle Man and/or Istanbul not Constantinople by They Might Be Giants (I got reminded of an old episode of Tiny Toon Adventures where they did music videos to these and a bunch of other old songs and these were my favorites.)

Ghostbusters by Ray Parker Jr. (Another one of those no-brainers that somehow took forever for me to think of; Such a classic theme song needs to be with others of its kind.)

Axel F by Harold Faltermeyer (Also known as the iconic theme to Beverly Hills Cop, this tune is synonymous with the 1980s. Don't worry, the Crazy Frog version won't be anywhere near this.)

Sorry about not seeing "Still Alive" already on the list.  Guess I need stronger glasses.  :blink:

Just another suggestion:  The Power of Love (from the movie Back To The Future).  Thanks too for listing the older songs -- especially "Hooked on a Feeling" and "Mahna Mahna" -- love those!  I suppose The Witch Doctor (from Alvin and the Chipmunks) is too er, young or silly, for Otakon, but thought I'd still suggest it.  

Edited by EdKitten

Would be fun to sing on the metro if there are a bunch of cosplayers on a single car.

So a couple of songs that I didn't see on there that I can recommend off the top of my head.

Ghost Down DJs - My Boo 

Spongebob Squarepants theme song

Danny Phantom theme song 

Samurai Jack theme song

Jimmy Eat World - The Middle

Also I'm upset OP that you're cosplaying as Kevin Owens yet don't have his theme playing nor AJ Styles, for shame. 

4 hours ago, Lum1n3s said:

Also I'm upset OP that you're cosplaying as Kevin Owens yet don't have his theme playing nor AJ Styles, for shame. 

I actually do have KO's theme, but I don't want to put it on this list necessarily, since it's really just a looping instrumental track. The other WWE themes I added to this list have words, so they get a pass. I'll save it from when I'm actually in costume and walking around. I even recently bought a pair of Bluetooth headphones with an external speaker feature so I can play it easier while traveling the convention halls.

Edited by RavenNinja

Hey everyone, it's time for a playlist update, so let's get down to brass tacks here. I added all the songs I was contemplating from my post on 5/18, as well as adding Rapper's Delight by The Sugarhill GangGimme Chocolate!! by BABYMETAL and something I just rediscovered, a nice little Five Night's at Freddy's song sung by famous Internetainers Rhett and Link, featuring Markiplier. Overall, a nice blend of sounds being added, from more nerdy singable songs, to a touch of old school rap, metal and electronic.

Anyway, I'm still considering other songs, both from suggestions and things on my own, so just because I haven't pulled anything from existing ideas here in this thread doesn't mean they're out of the running! I'm having so much fun pouring through all this music to make this playlist fresh and enjoyable for everyone who passes by at the con. In the end, I just want to make people happy and help them have a good time through the power of music.

I'ma add a couple "roll your windows down and scream" songs and some others

JAM Project - SOULTAKER

JAM Project - Believe in my existence

Michael Giacchino - Speed Racer (you laugh but this is real good)

Funkadelic - (Not Just) Knee Deep

Tsu Shi Ma Mi Re - Airkon no Rimokon

Peelander-Z - Ninja High School

Hyper Potions - Chao Dance Mix

Hyper Potions - Gotta Go Fast

Nitro Fun & Hyper Potions - Checkpoint

Hideki Naganuma/Richard Jacques - Graffiti City medley (from Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed)

Richard Jacques - Super Sonic Racing (Cash Cash vs. Jun Senoue RMX)

Naofumi Hataya - vs. Metal Sonic (Stardust Speedway Bad Future)

Rustie - Ultra Thizz

Polysics - Electric Surfin' Go Go

Polysics - Rocket

Polysics - Making Sense

The Who - You Better You Bet

Edited by Aresef

49 minutes ago, TnAdct1 said:

Because has to suggest it:

Lazytown - We Are Number One!

Okay, that's going on here for sure, but now I'm going down a whole big online rabbit hole of musical based memes. Because of that, it made me think of two pretty iconic online meme songs, from the same source and artist even: Running in the '90s and Speedy Speed Boy from Initial D and Maurizio De Jorio (or whatever alias you want to use for him, he has so many!) 

I thought of another set of suggestions. Three weeks ago, PSY released music videos for 2 music videos on YouTube for songs from his new album 4X2=8, also released 5/10/2017.  They are:

PSY - New Face

PSY - I LUV IT

They both have over 20 million views so far. Personally, I like New Face better, but I'll let you use your discretion on which, if any, are worthy of the playlist.

Edited by Krabstarr

Hmm, very interesting. Seems PSY isn't going to be a one-hit wonder thing if those view counts on YouTube have anything to say about it. After listening to both songs, I do agree that New Face is better, so if I'm going to consider one of those to add, that would be the one. I think it may depend on how popular it really gets overall. If I see more buzz around it, I'll likely add it, but I'm not ready to pull the trigger on it just yet. Either way, the man certainly seems to have narrowed down that his success is going to ride on having a dance attached to one of these songs catch on, since he seems to have one key set of moves attached to each of those songs.

14 hours ago, RavenNinja said:

Seems PSY isn't going to be a one-hit wonder thing if those view counts on YouTube have anything to say about it.

His follow-up single to Gangnam Style released in 2013, Gentleman, has over 1 billion views currently and, according to Wikipedia (with sources), it has set YouTube records for most views in its first 24 hours, most views in any 24 hours, fastest music video to reach 100 million views, fastest overall video to reach 200 million views and 300 million views. So it could be argued that he's already moved past being a one-hit wonder.

6 hours ago, Krabstarr said:

His follow-up single to Gangnam Style released in 2013, Gentleman, has over 1 billion views currently and, according to Wikipedia (with sources), it has set YouTube records for most views in its first 24 hours, most views in any 24 hours, fastest music video to reach 100 million views, fastest overall video to reach 200 million views and 300 million views. So it could be argued that he's already moved past being a one-hit wonder.

Fair enough, shows what I know on the subject. I take back what I said. 

Sexy Anime Boys definitely needs to be played this year, song needs to get some respekk on its name.

Hey there everyone! Just wanted to do a nice check-in for the thread to give a full updated list of songs, but first, I'll be doing a little extra location scouting this weekend while I attend AwesomeCon. Obviously enjoying myself and another area con is tops on the list, but my eyes are still on the big prize less than 2 months away! With that said, here's the current list of songs in the playlist! Remember, keep suggesting! It's not going to be fully set in stone until Otakon actually rolls around.

Ultimate Convention Sing/Dance Playlist (Otakon '17 Edition, Version 2.0):

Let It Go - Idina Menzel
Gangnam Style - PSY
Pokemon Theme
Sailor Moon Theme (dub)
What Is Love - Haddaway
Ducktales Theme
Ikea - Jonathan Coulton
Busy Earnin' - Jungle
Chains of Love - Erasure
Shoop - Salt-N-Pepa
Sandstorm - Darude
New Day Entrance Theme
Everybody Wants to Rule The World - Ninja Sex Party
My Shot - Hamilton
Candy Store - Heathers
Freeze Your Brain - Heathers
Mr. Blue Sky - ELO
Wham Bam Shang-a-Lang - Silver
Come A Little Bit Closer - Jay & The Americans
Flashlight - Parliament
Rapper's Delight - The Sugarhill Gang
Gimme Chocolate!! - BABYMETAL
The Five Night At Freddy's Song - Rhett and Link (ft. Markiplier)
Particle Man - They Might Be Giants
Istanbul (Not Constantinople) - They Might Be Giants
Ghostbusters - Ray Parker Jr.
The Touch - Stan Bush (Transformers: The Movie)
Axel F - Harold Faltermeyer
We Are Number One - Lazy Town
Running in the 90s - Maurizio De Jorio (Initial D)
Speedy Speed Boy - Maurizio De Jorio (Initial D)

Edited by RavenNinja

On 6/16/2017 at 1:19 AM, RavenNinja said:

Sailor Moon Theme (dub)

Ew why? lmao I was just gonna post and say that if it was me I'd add some of the Japanese Sailor Moon tracks as well.

7 hours ago, GasparAKAShiggitay said:

Ew why? lmao I was just gonna post and say that if it was me I'd add some of the Japanese Sailor Moon tracks as well.

It's mostly out of cheesy nostalgia and my personal love of Sailor Moon. The thought of adding Moonlight Densetsu on here had crossed my mind, though, especially because the song file of the old DiC theme song I have has really low volume on it.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, RavenNinja said:

It's mostly out of cheesy nostalgia and my personal love of Sailor Moon. The thought of adding Moonlight Densetsu on here had crossed my mind, though, especially because the song file of the old DiC theme song I have has really low volume on it.

Totally understandable! I just cringe at the DiC Sailor Moon theme because it's NOTHING like Moonlight Densetsu... like AT ALL. I did start with the DiC version of the anime itself, but I quickly noticed its flaws and converted myself immediately. lol.

Hey everyone, small update time! Just saw another amazing, music-driven movie last night in Edgar Wright's Baby Driver. The soundtrack is jam-packed with amazing tunes (30 tracks!) and I'll be pouring through to see if I can find something to add to the playlist. Either way, I'm getting more and more ready for the fun! I have a better idea of where I can set up in the convention center after making a visit back in June, but it all depends on where major things are located for Ota. Really excited to do this again this year and I hope all of you join in!

P.S., Go see Baby Driver, if you're able to, of course. It's an amazing film.

Two weeks until the con and time for a nice little bump and update! Turns out that while a lot of the music from Baby Driver is a great listen, nothing really jumped out to me as something I'd want to sing as part of this fun time we have brewing. However! This does not stop me from adding a few more things just to cap this version of the playlist off for the year, barring anything on-the-fly revelations. I want to add two more songs that should be pretty classic to everyone: Yellow Submarine by The Beatles (Credit goes to Revengel for that suggestion a while back) and Thriller by Michael Jackson.

Also on the docket is a better assessment of locations, now that we have the official maps for the convention available. Considering where I will be staffing and major events in relation to said space, I'm considering one of two spots for holding or little musical shindig. I'm either considering somewhere near the Video Gaming Hall (Level 2) or somewhere on Level 1 in one of the big hallways that connects down to the sales halls. I'd prefer to do the former, for ease of transport and possibly catching people already in the mood to have fun and dance (The hall for the rave/dance is on the same level next to the game hall) and the more participating people, the better!

One final note: I do intend to do this both Friday and Saturday night, but Friday will likely be a late night jam session as there's an event I want to attend that won't be over until 10:30 PM. (For the record, the event is Super Art Fight, which i encourage you all to check out, they're always amazing.) That singalong session will tentatively have to be around 11 PM to accommodate that in my schedule. Saturday night looks a lot more open to starting at a more prime time, but I want to pour over the schedule just a bit more before I finalize a time there. I'll keep you all posted here.

Anyway, i'm getting super hyped for this year overall and most of all sharing this excellent fun time with everyone! If you have any more suggestions, continue to post and share your ideas! Hope to see everyone in DC real soon!