Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TomDent

Easy slow cooker ideas for con

I thought I saw a discussion like this in a thread last year but i can't find it. Anyway, I'm thinking of bringing a slow cooker (or crockpot) to Otakon this year to cut down on food costs. Any easy meal ideas out there for con weekend? I've got some ideas but I know someone out there has experience with this and can give some recipes and tips.

Obviously, a stew would be pretty good. Chili, too... although you might want to crack a window open or something -- 4-6 people in a hotel room after a meal of chili? Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeah... ^^;;;

Also, it seems you can do rice in a slow cooker(yay Google!), although I don't know if it's something you'd want to leave in there for hours on end. I dunno.

Thanks for the response! I've been thinking of different things I'd like to try. I know there's basic stuff you can fix like roast and potatoes, beef stew, etc. I'm kind of looking for not-so-common ideas to experiment with. A lot of the recipe websites I've looked through are annoying to navigate (too many ads, not enough pics or details, you don't know exactly what to click on...things like that). Also, I will definitely keep in mind to stay away from chili, lol.

We do slow cooker meals every year. Some of the things we make are Stuffed Peppers, Chicken and Dumplings, Roast and Potatoes, hell we even did stuffed shells and lasagna one year. You can do pretty much anything you want. Easiest method is to prep everything at home. Wash, peel, cut, dice, stuff - do all of that at home. Then literally all you have to do is assemble it in the crock pot and turn it on. Also - slow cooker liners are a god-send. No clean up. Just throw the liner away. Another tip - spend the $15 and invest in a silcone heat proof/fire retardant kitchen mat to set under the slow cooker just in case.

If you want some recipes, let me know. i'd be happy to share : )

also - you can even do breakfast in the slow cooker too. Quiche, Breakfast casserole, and baked oatmeal all work really well in the slow cooker. Even cinnamon rolls and baked things can be made fairly easily too.

9 hours ago, Irvette232 said:

We do slow cooker meals every year. Some of the things we make are Stuffed Peppers, Chicken and Dumplings, Roast and Potatoes, hell we even did stuffed shells and lasagna one year. You can do pretty much anything you want. Easiest method is to prep everything at home. Wash, peel, cut, dice, stuff - do all of that at home. Then literally all you have to do is assemble it in the crock pot and turn it on. Also - slow cooker liners are a god-send. No clean up. Just throw the liner away. Another tip - spend the $15 and invest in a silcone heat proof/fire retardant kitchen mat to set under the slow cooker just in case.

If you want some recipes, let me know. i'd be happy to share : )

That's awesome, thanks! I love stuffed peppers, but never thought of doing them in a slow cooker. That'd be great if you could share some recipes with me. It'd be a big help. The hotel we got has free breakfast, so we don't have to worry about that and we usually go somewhere nice two or three times over the weekend for dinner, but I'm tired of running to Subway or McDonalds for lunch and dinner every day. I figured this way might be a bit cheaper, healthier, and tastier.

On 5/27/2017 at 9:46 AM, TomDent said:

That's awesome, thanks! I love stuffed peppers, but never thought of doing them in a slow cooker. That'd be great if you could share some recipes with me. It'd be a big help. The hotel we got has free breakfast, so we don't have to worry about that and we usually go somewhere nice two or three times over the weekend for dinner, but I'm tired of running to Subway or McDonalds for lunch and dinner every day. I figured this way might be a bit cheaper, healthier, and tastier.

Recipes incoming shortly. I came to the realization that i kind of eye ball everything so i have to consult with the family members who actually have it written down lol I will be seeing them this week, so i'll be sure to grab it from them and inbox you :)

12 hours ago, Irvette232 said:

Recipes incoming shortly. I came to the realization that i kind of eye ball everything so i have to consult with the family members who actually have it written down lol I will be seeing them this week, so i'll be sure to grab it from them and inbox you :)

Thanks so much!