Krabstarr

2017 Cosplay Predictions

23 posts in this topic

As we get closer to Otakon 2017, what are your predictions on what will be the HOT cosplays for 2017? What new characters will be filling the halls? What old favorites will be making a comeback? Or conversely, what previously popular cosplay will be going out of vogue? Make your predictions here for glory and fame! Or for shame if you are proven wrong come August!

Old favorites:

• Love Live
  • Attack on Titan
  • Marvel/DC (especially Wonder Woman and Guardians of the Galaxy)
  • Splatoon/Zelda

New titles:

• Kemono Friends
  • Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid (expect at least one cosplay from that show)
  • ARMS
1 person likes this

Attack on Titan and Spla2n will be big again

New titles, Kemono Friends, Arms, and this is the first post Yuri on Ice Otakon, so even with it being the middle of summer, I expect to see a lost of ice skaters.

1 person likes this

Good calls on Attack on Titan having a resurgence. I am personally expecting Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid and Kemono Friends. I didn't even think of Yuri, but that's a good call as well.

What I want to see is someone cosplaying as Grape-kun the penguin carrying around a cardboard cutout of Hululu from Kemono Friends.

All good points so far; I doubly agree with the mentions of Yuri on Ice. Considering how huge it seemed to have gotten (not a huge fan of it myself), I'm absolutely expecting a saturation of Yuri's and Victors lol. I think Mob Psycho 100 had only just started airing last year, so I wouldn't be surprised if there were a lot of cosplays this time now that the season is complete.

There also might be an upsurge of Zelda cosplayers, since BOTW was pretty big. I'd expect a fair amount of Links and humanized Sidons.

1 person likes this

Kinda completely forgot about Yuri on Ice.

I do agree that that's going to be some cosplay representation, given how it's one of the bigger anime titles in the past year.

1 person likes this

I'm sure somebody will be cosplaying something from a Macross series.

Also, there will be Kamen Rider or Super Sentai/PR cosplay of some sort.

1 person likes this

I seriously thought persona 5 since the theme was spies.

you know...cuz they're theives?

surprised it wasn't mentioned...

1 person likes this

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 4:21 PM, Ikano said:

I seriously thought persona 5 since the theme was spies.

you know...cuz they're theives?

surprised it wasn't mentioned...

I'm calling it now -- SOMEONE is going to do Totally Spies! or Kim Possible cosplay.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I'm really feeling like My Hero Academia will be up there with Attack on Titan making a nice comeback due to Season 2 being out. Berserk might get some here and there. Oh and yeah Miss Kobayashi's Dragon will surely pop around the place. I also feel like we can expect more surprising cosplay of brand name mascots and things of that nature.

Edited by Lum1n3s

Given the success of the Wonder Woman movie, I wouldn't be too terribly surprised to the titular superheroine getting cosplayed.

On 6/7/2017 at 2:14 PM, onsenmark said:

I'm calling it now -- SOMEONE is going to do Totally Spies! or Kim Possible cosplay.

I've seen the one-off KP cosplay at the past couple years' cons, but an uptick in them or seeing a good Totally Spies cosplay would be amazing. Makes me want to go back and watch some of the adventures of Sam, Clover and Alex again.

I doubt I'll see it, but I'd be amused to see a group of Cheer Boys!! cosplay in their Breakers uniforms performing a cheering routine. Outfits are about $40 - $50 on eBay, if anyone wants to make my dream come true.

I'd bet there'll be at least one Wendy girl cosplay and possibly the colonel and Ronald.

On 5/23/2017 at 10:18 PM, TnAdct1 said:

Old favorites:

• Love Live
  • Attack on Titan
  • Marvel/DC (especially Wonder Woman and Guardians of the Galaxy)
  • Splatoon/Zelda

New titles:

• Kemono Friends
  • Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid (expect at least one cosplay from that show)
  • ARMS

Hahah. At Anime Central this year I saw a metric CRAPTON of Dragon Maid cosplays.. everyone from Fafnir, to Lucoa to Kanna to Tohru... I think I saw a Kobayashi herself as well. ACen was FLOODED with that show this year. It's a good slice of life show, with the dragon twist of course. I would NOT be surprised if we see some if not a lot of it at OtaDC year 1.

On 6/10/2017 at 11:43 AM, RavenNinja said:

I've seen the one-off KP cosplay at the past couple years' cons, but an uptick in them or seeing a good Totally Spies cosplay would be amazing. Makes me want to go back and watch some of the adventures of Sam, Clover and Alex again.

One of my friends is doing Totally Spies, I think she said Clover...

I see there being a ton of Metal Gear cosplay, since the theme is spies. 

Tactical Espionage Action

Edited by boatkun
1 person likes this

Totally Spies is barely anime, though I know we get non-anime cosplays all the time... but Totally Spies? really? lol

4 hours ago, GasparAKAShiggitay said:

Totally Spies is barely anime, though I know we get non-anime cosplays all the time... but Totally Spies? really? lol

Well -- it fits the theme. ^^;

Also, I'm going to guess someone's going to do an updated Kiki and Tombo from that noodle ad that's been making the rounds on facebook the past day or so...

1 person likes this

On 6/7/2017 at 2:14 PM, onsenmark said:

I did see a Kim Possible cosplayer at AwesomeCon last week 

I think we'll see a few Samurai Jack cosplays, particularly Ashi cosplays. 

Skull Grunts.

Based on the last two cons I was able to go to this year, Skull Grunts will absolutely take over.

My group's bringing at least another 3.

:>

6 hours ago, Scorch said:

Skull Grunts.

Based on the last two cons I was able to go to this year, Skull Grunts will absolutely take over.

My group's bringing at least another 3.

:>

Suddenly, I want to do a Shocker Combatman cosplay, and tell y'all that you're doing it wrong, lol. ;)

(also, EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! XD)