Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

F00LY

Otakon Maps for Walter E. Washington Convention Center are Up!

Hey all! Just sharing the news that the maps for the con are up! Some really interesting features to discuss here, especially for those of us who haven't been to WEWCC yet.

WEWCC is 4 floors + a Basement level. This is 5 floors.  
Marquis Mariott space is also being utilized across 4 floors.

The Marquis Ballroom looks gigantic for a panel space.  PLEASE let this be utilized for After Dark, Beyond the Tentacle, and other massive 18+ panels.  ESPECIALLY if the Queue room is a room specifically designated for lining up. @danielb @kimmibeans Can you confirm any of this?  Also please, if someone is designated to watching these (presumed) line rooms, make sure there is a policy in place so if someone who has been in line for hours leaves to get drink or use the restroom, they aren't barred from re-entry like in previous years <_<

The Marquis Mariott connects via tunnel to the basement right outside of Artist Alley.
The Marquis Mariott also connects via Tunnel on the 2nd Floor of the Marquiss Side.  Unclear where this connects on Otakon's side.

Panel 7 also looks massive and has a queue room very near by.

The AMV theatere doesn't look as big as I expected! No idea how the thumbprint compares size-wise to the BCC's, though.

Coffee in the main lobby! Always good.

These numbers are unverified by me but come from a large Facebook post.

NOW                   vs        PREVIOUS          Increase
Dealer's Room              322k SqFt                        123k SqFt             2.62x Larger
Artist Alley                     151k SqFt                         62k  SqFt             2.44x Larger
Videogame Room         110k SqFt                          55k SqFt              2.00x Larger

"Keep in mind, the ENTIRE Exhibit hall floor space at the BCC was 300k Square Feet"

Food maps : https://cdn1.otakon.com/media/filer_public/3c/02/3c02b660-6d9d-44f3-ab4c-9a3e64370387/restaurantmap_2014.pdf
All maps     : https://www.otakon.com/info/location/

Yes, I imagine this year will be the "testing" phase of the layout for sure.  That said I definitely do hope that those are what the rooms are for.  18+ panels having access to queue rooms would be a dream come true.  Except when the inevitable nightmare of not allowing people into a queue room more than an hour before the panel happens and we're back to square one, haha.

Also keep in mind this layout may be different next year for the silver anniversary Otakon, but yeah some of the halls are significantly larger than before.  Like in Baltimore, I expect there's going to be some moving around.  Actually, the Lolita Garden might need to be in a bigger room if my suspicion is correct.

Another item, the two queue rooms.  Are they only going to be used before panels that specifically require a room clear, or between all panels?

My thoughts:

• I wonder what the deal is with the Dealer's Room and Dance not taking up their entire halls. Are there just going to be big empty areas blocked off in those rooms?
  • Combining the art area and autograph area into one hall is interesting, but it makes sense with how big the exhibit halls are in DC.
  • It doesn't look like there are any video rooms anywhere near as big as the old Video 1 room. I know that room almost never filled up, but I wonder how this will affect things like the AMV Contest that did fill most of the seats.
  • Ooh, there's 8 panel rooms now?  (Plus the Marquis Ballroom?) That's nice, and there aren't any really small rooms.
  • Queue rooms seem like they'll be helpful. Hopefully it'll be clear where all the lines are.
  • Floor M3 of the Marriott is weirdly empty. I get that it's because the rooms there are too small to do much with, but it still looks weird on the map.

1 hour ago, Guy With A Username said:

My thoughts:

• I wonder what the deal is with the Dealer's Room and Dance not taking up their entire halls. Are there just going to be big empty areas blocked off in those rooms?
  • Combining the art area and autograph area into one hall is interesting, but it makes sense with how big the exhibit halls are in DC.
  • It doesn't look like there are any video rooms anywhere near as big as the old Video 1 room. I know that room almost never filled up, but I wonder how this will affect things like the AMV Contest that did fill most of the seats.
  • Ooh, there's 8 panel rooms now?  (Plus the Marquis Ballroom?) That's nice, and there aren't any really small rooms.
  • Queue rooms seem like they'll be helpful. Hopefully it'll be clear where all the lines are.
  • Floor M3 of the Marriott is weirdly empty. I get that it's because the rooms there are too small to do much with, but it still looks weird on the map.

Maybe because--and this is weird to say--they don't need it yet. Look at how much bigger these halls are than the BCC spaces. It's possible that using square footage beyond what they are costs a bit of coin. The good news is Otakon has room to grow, something it hasn't had...man, since they started using the Chicken Box, really. the unused space will probably be marked off with black curtains or something.

It's interesting. They have to have it figured out from a crowd control/VIP movement standpoint, or they never woulda done it.

How do you know the video rooms are small? Video 1, 2 and 4 seem like they might be sizable. And keep in mind the things like premieres and what have you, there's nothing stopping them from using, oh, the ballroom or a panel space--that's been done before.

I agree, the queue rooms are gonna be big.

I think that probably comes down to them simply not needing the space yet, or maybe they're using it and it's ops. I remember the first year they had the Hilton, I was press, and the room where Press Ops was, it seemed like there was nothing on that floor.

2 hours ago, Guy With A Username said:

My thoughts:

Yeah I wonder too how packed that space is gonna get for the AMV Theater.  I just compared and this year its 4850 Square Feet, previous years it was Hall C of BCC which was 25,000 Sqft...

I did a little quick analysis and came up with the following unofficial sizes.  Might have a few things wrong, but it's probably pretty close.  

I'm guessing that the Marquis Ballroom is going to serve the function of what used to be in Video 1 (AMV Contest, big premiers) and also be the largest Panel room.  Otherwise, the three largest panel rooms in the new location are actually slightly smaller than the three largest panel rooms in the old location (albeit not by much).  Same goes for video rooms. 

Room Old Size New Size
Artist Alley 62,000 151,000
Dealers Room 123,000 322,000
Video Games 55,000 111,000
Main Events 30,000 52,000
Panel 1 4,720 8,100
Panel 2 9,448 8,100
Panel 3 2,800 3,500
Panel 4 2,850 5,300
Panel 5 9,187 5,300
Panel 6 5,607 2,100
Panel 7 13,784 12,500
Panel 8   2,988
AMV Theater 3,276 4,800
Video 1 30,000 5,600
Video 2 6,804 5,600
Video 3 18,336 1,500
Video 4 5,760 5,427
Video 5 5,603 2,415
Workshop 1 1,650 4,800
Workshop 2 2,800 1,944
Workshop 3 8,888 2,673
Marquis Ballroom   24,072
Maid Café 1,287 2,720
Otakafe 3,485 3,042

This is super cool, fantastic work.
Did a little re-frameworking, since Panel # is pretty arbitrary

Panel Sizes

Panel  13,784 12,500
Panel  9,448 8,100
Panel  9,187 8,100
Panel  5,607 5,300
Panel  4,720 5,300
Panel  2,850 3,500
Panel  2,800 2,988
Panel    2,100

Video Sizes

AMV Theater 3,276 4,800
Video 1 30,000 5,600
Video 2 18,336 5,600
Video 3 6,804 5,427
Video 4 5,760 2,415
Video 5 5,603 1,500

Other Sizes

Artist Alley 62,000 151,000
Dealers Room 123,000 322,000
Video Games 55,000 111,000
Main Events   30,000 52,000

Workshop / Cafes / Ballroom

Workshop  8,800 4,800
Workshop 2,800 2,673
Workshop  1,650 1,944
Marquis Ballroom   24,072
Maid Café 1,287 2,720
Otakafe 3,485 3,042

This allows for a comparison of scale comparing biggest to biggest, smallest to smallest. All credit to above poster for kindly pulling these numbers!    

On 7/23/2017 at 4:14 PM, Guy With A Username said:

My thoughts:

Dealer's Room and Dance: While I'm sure we don't need all that room for the dance, what's to say that Otakon is not using all of Hall B and C for the Dealers Room (as the combined space is 322k that being's touted on Facebook).

AMV Contest: Unless it's being played in the Main Events (which I doubt, as that area will likely be used for concerts and the masquerade), I do agree that the Marquis Ballroom will likely be the spot of the AMV Contest screenings (although the tricky part will be simulcasting the contest between two separate buildings). While finding a seat will not be a problem for me (as an editor who submitted something to the contest), I would still like to have an idea of where the "bigger" screening room will be before the con.

Just some notes for tonight, more tomorrow.

Marquis M3 is mostly empty because there are barely any rooms on that level. It's center is actually the upper part of the M4 ballrooms.

The same with M1 and the Marquis Ballroom on M2.

The Marquis Ballroom is not solely a panel room. It will host a number if major events, both live and on film, fan and industry.

We are not using all of the exhibit halls, because they are huge. Tomorrow I can post an overlay showing how much bigger, but yes, we are leaving room to grow.

Same for dance.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, TnAdct1 said:

(although the tricky part will be simulcasting the contest between two separate buildings).

While I don't have any actual knowledge of how Otakon handles to AMV contest, they don't have to have a true simulcast between the two rooms as it's not a live event with a broadcast feed being sent to the second location. They just need 2 copies of the program (video) being played and have them played separately in the 2 different locations.

So there was no real net gain in panels and programming space....mostly what we gained was adequate space to line up, and a few slightly less compressed locations. We may switch it up a bit next year depending on how things flow this year, but one of the things that we are aware of is the lost of Hall A for giant video stuff -- but in fact, Hall A was only ever really filled during that and a few other premiere screenings. Much of the time it sat half empty (as did most video rooms, if I'm honest). I have faith that Programming will be offering some options for the AMV and other big video needs. 

Oh, and a HUGE ballroom that we're using this year for the concerts and masquerade, which roughly replaces the Arena and Hall D. We'll see how it works out.

It's all trade-offs, of course. Gotta try stuff.

Alabaster we've missed you *_* 

Thanks for the info guys.  Seeing the schedule and all this combined, I'm fairly happy with how things are shaping up!

Voice Actors After Dark - Thank you for putting this in the biggest panel room! Much love for that. Queue room nearby for lines too. My heart can't take this.

Beyond the Tentacle - Panel 7 - Thank you! BUUUUT, I notice there is no room clear before this, and a panel that runs with a break between end and begin.  Are you guys planning adding any more room clears, or are us hardcore +2Comedy lovers destined to seat fill (though the panel before it looks funny, too!) to ensure we get in.  Beyond the Tentacle ALWAYS fills up and I just want to plan accordingly!