Revan

Schedule's up!

Revan    9

https://hiroko.otakon.com/events_schedule.asp - direct link to it.

Interesting, I don't see the traditional fan parodies, though 'Uncle Yo's Magical Girl Bootcamp' does sound like fun to watch.

It looks like there's a little relaxation in the 'Asian culture' line: I saw a Disney cosplay panel and a [url=https://hiroko.otakon.com/events_schedule_detail.asp?eventID=28&id=49931]couple[/url] that were more generic fantasy or other fandoms.

I'll have to go over this more thoroughly, but I wanted to start the discussion.

Edited by Revan
  • Like 1

F00LY    20

It looks good!  I always look out for the Big 18+ panels as they are my favourite to attend.

They gave the biggest room to the most popular ones, so thats always a promising sign.  No room clear before "Beyond the Tentacle" seems fine - looking for confirmation that that is true.  The panel before it looks good, too, and was on my "go to" list potentially, but I'd MUCH rather see Beyond the Tentacle.  Would hate to be in a room for a panel expecting it to not clear, and then get cleared, when I could have been in line.

TnAdct1    17

Rant time!!!:angry:

Okay, I could understand trying to schedule things to allow people to attend both that and the Anisong Concerts, but seriously scheduling the Friday showing of the AMV Contest at 1:00 PM? There's a lot of problems that I have with that.

Right off the bat, as someone whose early Friday afternoon plan is the Dealers' Room (with me lining up for it as soon as the convention center opens to ensure that I get a T-shirt that's my size), a 1:00 Contest showing, even if I do have a pass that allows me to skip the line thanks to me sending an entry to it, will likely throw a huge monkey wrench in my plans.

Other issues at hand:

1. People who may want to check out the contest may not have gotten their badges by the time the contest starts;
  2. Back when Otakon did do early Friday afternoon AMV Contest showings, they would also have a showing later in the day to ensure that people can do something else at that time and still attend the contest. Not here.

Along with the lack of a fan parodies show, it feels like this year that fan-created videos are getting the short end of the stick this year.

CocoFaerie    26

So elated the first draft SCHEDULE came this soon before the con.

My first impression leads me to be real optimistic about the panels & shows I really wanted to attend upon their announces.  OTOH, the Sentai Filmworks panel isn't on there I don't think, but I see if they are having one, there's a 10am Saturday slot it could be plugged into.  Hmmm...  Looks like I can also plug in a small handful of guest panels into my agenda after all with the way the Industry panels are set.  The only concern now is what times to go eat.  BTW, what are the hours for the Dealers Room & Artist Alley?  Those haven't gone up yet.  What stands out to me most is the 2017 Otakon AMV Contest is 1pm Friday & 11am Saturday.  Those are some times to run that given what else is in store.  Personally, I hope those times turn out to be successful for the con.

Another thing I see is there are more ROOM CLEARS scheduled than in recent Otakons.  I wonder if this is a conservative strategy, or they're truly anticipating big turnouts at those panels.  We'll all find out.

Those are my initial thoughts.

Aresef    43

Doesn't seem like there's much in the way of live action programming.

And I guess I'm camping the TMR panel to see JAM's.

I'm a VIP for the JAM concert, but it's a bummer for other fans that there aren't any official Ota autograph opportunities for the AWM acts.

Edited by Aresef
  • Like 1

Felexis12    1

I agree.

So then there is no separate autograph schedule for the AWM artists? Will they have any other fan meet ups beisdes the concert and/or Q&A?

F00LY    20
21 minutes ago, CocoFaerie said:

The only concern now is what times to go eat.  BTW, what are the hours for the Dealers Room & Artist Alley?  Those haven't gone up yet. 

I can't speak for this year, but in general its 

Friday 12:00-8:00
  Saturday 10:00-6:00
  Sunday 9:00-3:00

Hoping we see the lame 8-hour limit go away this year, though.

• Like 1

Aresef    43
2 minutes ago, Felexis12 said:

I agree.

So then there is no separate autograph schedule for the AWM artists? Will they have any other fan meet ups beisdes the concert and/or Q&A?

There's the VIP post-show thing.

Felexis12    1
8 minutes ago, Aresef said:

There's the VIP post-show thing.

Anything besides that? FLOW was part of AWM last year at AX and they did have an autograph session. No Q&A though. I was just wondering if theres a different schedule for all that. 

TnAdct1    17
1 hour ago, F00LY said:

I can't speak for this year, but in general its 

Friday 12:00-8:00
  Saturday 10:00-6:00
  Sunday 9:00-3:00

Hoping we see the lame 8-hour limit go away this year, though.

You're not alone here. Between AX opening its dealers room at 11:00 this year on Day 1 and the whole idea of having the Friday AMV Contest at 1:00PM, I really wish that the Dealers' Room would open earlier this year on Friday.

1 hour ago, TnAdct1 said:

Rant time!!!:angry:

Okay, I could understand trying to schedule things to allow people to attend both that and the Anisong Concerts, but seriously scheduling the Friday showing of the AMV Contest at 1:00 PM? There's a lot of problems that I have with that.

Right off the bat, as someone whose early Friday afternoon plan is the Dealers' Room (with me lining up for it as soon as the convention center opens to ensure that I get a T-shirt that's my size), a 1:00 Contest showing, even if I do have a pass that allows me to skip the line thanks to me sending an entry to it, will likely throw a huge monkey wrench in my plans.

Other issues at hand:

1. People who may want to check out the contest may not have gotten their badges by the time the contest starts;
  2. Back when Otakon did do early Friday afternoon AMV Contest showings, they would also have a showing later in the day to ensure that people can do something else at that time and still attend the contest. Not here.

Along with the lack of a fan parodies show, it feels like this year that fan-created videos are getting the short end of the stick this year.

Regarding the AMV contest at 1pm on Friday, there's usually a Saturday showing as well... as they can't expect all 30k of us to be able to see the first showing at all at once... The Saturday AMV Contest screening is at 11AM. The Anisong concerts are at 7pm on Friday and 3pm on Saturday.. I don't see the issues there. Also yes people might not have registered/gotten their pregged badged picked up by 1pm, but that's their bad luck... it shouldn't worry you at all.

Edited by GasparAKAShiggitay
  • Like 1

TnAdct1    17
26 minutes ago, GasparAKAShiggitay said:

Regarding the AMV contest at 1pm on Friday, there's usually a Saturday showing as well... as they can't expect all 30k of us to be able to see the first showing at all at once... The Saturday AMV Contest screening is at 11AM. The Anisong concerts are at 7pm on Friday and 3pm on Saturday.. I don't see the issues there. Also yes people might not have registered/gotten their pregged badged picked up by 1pm, but that's their bad luck... it shouldn't worry you at all.

For my personal issues about the contest screening, I do feel that this is more of a "first-world problem" for me (as that has to do with the schedule messing with my usual Friday afternoon at Otakon routine, resulting in what could be at most a pick-up of this year's shirt design before I have to leave the Dealers Room to catch the contest, with most of my actual shopping not happening until after the contest).

However, I do feel that the screenings of the AMV Contest this year are a little too early this year, and while I do agree that some people may catch the Saturday showing instead (although my current plan is to catch the Friday showing), it could be somewhat pushing it for some people who only plan to attend on Saturday.

Edited by TnAdct1

Wish they wouldn't group guests together in combined theme autograph sessions. One is okay for the people who are interested in that particular theme, but if I'm only interested in one of those guests I would rather go to the session just for that guest. I thought we were going to have tons more room at the new convention center so this sort of thing should be easy to accommodate. And yeah, no autograph sessions for the AWM guests is also pretty disappointing.

Edited by Dostovei Illuminas

mitamaking    6

I for one find Vic showing Star Trek Continues to be very important to promoting asian culture.

Since this is a first draft I will throw in my thoughts

That Saturday concert is killing me blocking Funimation, Crunchyroll, and PA Works panel

There are two industry panels on Sunday, Discotek and Media Blasters, both at 1pm come on, are you afraid if they are separate they would cause huge lines?

The yearly, where is Sentai's panel in the first schedule.

I KNEW THERE WAS GOING TO BE A HIGH EVOLUTION SCREENING, just for the love of god don't move it to against a concert.

What do you all think are the chances of me getting Michelle Ruff's autograph and being able to make the Friday concert, it looks close.

TnAdct1    17
45 minutes ago, mitamaking said:

There are two industry panels on Sunday, Discotek and Media Blasters, both at 1pm come on, are you afraid if they are separate they would cause huge lines?

I doubt huge lines if they happened at separate times would happen, as Media Blasters isn't the same major company it was back in the 2000's (while both panels are up against the Sunday concert and the AMV Contest Results Show). More than likely, unless one panel moves to one of the free spots on Saturday morning, this was the only places that Otakon can fit these panels into the schedule.

ueda    9

Literally nothing I'm even remotely interested in this year. Guess I'll be spending most of my time playing Pokemon Go/sitting in my hotel room honestly. Here's hoping next year's schedule is... better.

• Like 1

Tachibana    13

Hm, I don't see a Q&A panel for Stephanie Sheh. Does she simply not have one to herself? Just checking!

Also not seeing Voice Actors After Dark or something similar. That not happening this year?  I'm silly, it was right there. On Friday... My bad!

Love the idea of the women in anime panel hosted by some of the voice actresses. I've seen it happen before at other cons, good to see it here too.  Will definitely attend that one! 

Honestly while I'm not seeing something for every slot I want to see, I'm seeing a lot of good stuff, particularly some things I'll have to decide whether or not I want to, and in some cases having trouble deciding what to do when- in particular on Friday! Good schedule of events!

Edited by Tachibana

razisgosu    9
1 hour ago, ueda said:

Literally nothing I'm even remotely interested in this year. Guess I'll be spending most of my time playing Pokemon Go/sitting in my hotel room honestly. Here's hoping next year's schedule is... better.

I like how my industry panels literally always line up with other things. RIP Sekai Project and Mangagamer panels, you will be missed.

Tachibana    13

Yeah, I caught that right before you posted. My bad! :P

Also find it funny the TTGL fan panel and official panel are just 15 minutes apart. I don't think anyone will be able to go to both, haha.

Edit: Huh? I was replying to EdKitten below here... But I definitely posted after him. Weird.

Edited by Tachibana
  • Like 1

EdKitten    43
7 minutes ago, Tachibana said:

Hm, I don't see a Q&A panel for Stephanie Sheh. Does she simply not have one to herself? Just checking!

Also not seeing Voice Actors After Dark or something similar. That not happening this year?

Love the idea of the women in anime panel hosted by some of the voice actresses. I've seen it happen before at other cons, good to see it here too.  Will definitely attend that one!

Honestly while I'm not seeing something for every slot I want to see, I'm seeing a lot of good stuff, particularly some things I'll have to decide whether or not I want to, and in some cases having trouble deciding what to do- in particular on Friday! Good schedule of events!

Actually, there seems to be a Voice Actors After Dark on Friday, at 9:45pm.

Kirarakim    5

The Friday concert is the same time as the Tamago 2016 screening. Disappointed because that is one of the few things I wanted to do. But I do get why popular things are scheduled against each other. 

At least I can still see In This Corner of the World on Saturday. That is probably the number 1 thing that interests me. 

Also the 10th Anniversary Gurren Lagann panel sounds fun (although I do wish Aniplex had brought some Japanese guests) 

Besides that I guess the schedule is pretty free. A lot of time to check out the convention center and maybe discover something new. 

• Like 1

Krabstarr    29
11 hours ago, windseeker said:

No fan parodies?!?!

Unfortunately not. The Fan Produced Videos page on the website has had this message up for a little while:

https://www.otakon.com/activities/fan-produced-videos/

"We are very sorry to announce that Otakon will not be able to present either Fan Parody or Fan Film Festival screenings at Otakon 2017. This was a very difficult decision and was due to several factors, but it simply would not be possible to put on a quality show this year.   We hope to resolve the issues and return in 2018 with Fan Parody and Non-Parody screenings.

Thank you very much for years of support.  

-Scott A Melzer, Otakon Fan Films Coordinator"

So you may need to have your own screening of Evangelion: ReDeath if you need your yearly fix of "It's Gendo."

CocoFaerie    26

First revision to the SCHEDULE noted, and I don't necessarily like how there are three er four Industry panels & the lolita fashion show in the same slot as the Saturday concert.  I'm referring to the 4-6pm period.  Personally, I'd move the Sentai Filmworks panel to the morning slot as I had first thought.  At least they were quick adding it in though.

That aside, I'm still going to have a lot of free time, especially in the mornings, and I now have a better idea of when to eat according to this revision.  As always, schedule subject to change, but yes, do remember to allow time to get food, drink, and ice cold water.

Edited by CocoFaerie

Aresef    43

Video question: Garo is showing at 9 a.m. in Video 5. Are you guys sure you want to show it at 9 a.m.? I mean really really sure? There's nudity in the first 30 seconds and the show doesn't shy from gore.

Edited by Aresef

TnAdct1    17
32 minutes ago, CocoFaerie said:

First revision to the SCHEDULE noted, and I don't necessarily like how there are three er four Industry panels & the lolita fashion show in the same slot as the Saturday concert.  I'm referring to the 4-6pm period.  Personally, I'd move the Sentai Filmworks panel to the morning slot as I had first thought.  At least they were quick adding it in though.

You're not alone when it comes to wanting the Sentai panel to happen early, as the second half is happening around the same time as the ever popular Awesomely Bad Japanese Music Videos panel.

Bsus1412    9

I have three questions on this schedule.

1) Please add a listing of the guests for the "Pony Canyon Guests" and "Gundam Guests" autograph sessions, as well as the other ___ Guests sessions. It would be great to confirm who will be at the sessions.

2) Can you confirm whether the Charity Auction will be happening again this year, and will it be merged with the Art Show Auction?

3) Assuming that the Charity Auction will be held again, will it be Sunday morning?

Edited by Bsus1412

wolfy2005    5

I think I remember them mentioning it last year, but no Otakon Game Show this year? :(

Arion    3

Was eager for this so I could plan... Uh not sure if just me, maybe someone can clarify but is In This Corner of The World on both Friday and Saturday?? Meaning to see that and if it's on both days, gives me options to work with.

onsenmark    78
8 hours ago, Aresef said:

Video question: Garo is showing at 9 a.m. in Video 5. Are you guys sure you want to show it at 9 a.m.? I mean really really sure? There's nudity in the first 30 seconds and the show doesn't shy from gore.

Yeah. Garo is definitely NOT for the young'uns. ^^;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

As long as it's controlled as 18+ and they check for wristbands or whatever, who cares what time of day it is?

Now if the 18+ wristband distribution isn't open early enough to accommodate the schedule, that's a problem...

The Tsunami    14
1 hour ago, Arion said:

Was eager for this so I could plan... Uh not sure if just me, maybe someone can clarify but is In This Corner of The World on both Friday and Saturday?? Meaning to see that and if it's on both days, gives me options to work with.

Friday is a dubbed showing (the [D]) and Saturday is subbed (S). 

Edited by The Tsunami

Aresef    43
1 hour ago, Dostovei Illuminas said:

As long as it's controlled as 18+ and they check for wristbands or whatever, who cares what time of day it is?

Now if the 18+ wristband distribution isn't open early enough to accommodate the schedule, that's a problem...

True, but generally, the 18+ stuff has always been at night. And either way, Garo currently is not labeled 18+ as it most definitely is. Furthermore, the booth for wristbands typically is only open on Friday and Saturday, and people might yank it off when they shower at the end or beginning of their day.

TnAdct1    17
2 hours ago, onsenmark said:

Yeah. Garo is definitely NOT for the young'uns. ^^;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Reminds me of that one year Otakon showed Strike Witches during the Saturday morning hours despite the fourth episode having a bath scene where the girls' nipples are clearly visible.

• Haha 1

Interesting that there are group autograph sessions. For example, does this mean that Hidenori will be signing only In this Corner of the World material?

EdKitten    43
21 hours ago, Tachibana said:

[EdKitten edited to save space]

Edit: Huh? I was replying to EdKitten below here... But I definitely posted after him. Weird.

Cue Twilight Zone music.  lol.  That happened on another thread too.  Yeah, sure is weird.

Edited by EdKitten

F00LY    20
11 hours ago, TnAdct1 said:

Reminds me of that one year Otakon showed Strike Witches during the Saturday morning hours despite the fourth episode having a bath scene where the girls' nipples are clearly visible.

Are nipples more appropriate at any time of the day? o_O I'm not sure I fully get this conversation, Garo, this, or otherwise, lol.

If people dont like something they can avoid it, regardless of time of day, lol.

• Like 1

Bsus1412    9
Just now, F00LY said:

Are nipples more appropriate at any time of the day? o_O I'm not sure I fully get this conversation, Garo, this, or otherwise, lol.

If people dont like something they can avoid it, regardless of time of day, lol.

They're fully appropriate by the time Happy Hour rolls around. Of course, by then it's also appropriate to think the government is run by Floobar, King of the Mole Men.

• Like 2

Lum1n3s    49

Haven't had the chance to take my time with the schedule but I managed to see that Animes Craziest Deaths will be at the convention and with that alone everything is alright in the world. 

Bsus1412    9
1 minute ago, Lum1n3s said:

Haven't had the chance to take my time with the schedule but I managed to see that Animes Craziest Deaths will be at the convention and with that alone everything is alright in the world. 

That should be fun. I remember when Anime Insider ran that as a special for every issue. Of course, by now, most producers have viewed that as a challenge and upped the crazy.

• Like 1

Lum1n3s    49

oops double post lol

Edited by Lum1n3s

When is the GuideBook guide releasing? We're just over a week out and it's not up yet... Anyone know?

• Like 1

Lum1n3s    49
On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 9:55 AM, Bsus1412 said:

That should be fun. I remember when Anime Insider ran that as a special for every issue. Of course, by now, most producers have viewed that as a challenge and upped the crazy.

#truth, I noticed some new anime have come up with some crazy death scenes which I love. JoJo being the top one right now for me even though it was technically released a while back.

6 hours ago, GasparAKAShiggitay said:

When is the GuideBook guide releasing? We're just over a week out and it's not up yet... Anyone know?

Hoping it's soon, I'm sure it'll be this Thursday if anything if not I'm expecting early next week. 

• Like 1

Just now, Lum1n3s said:

#truth, I noticed some new anime have come up with some crazy death scenes which I love. JoJo being the top one right now for me even though it was technically released a while back.

Hoping it's soon, I'm sure it'll be this Thursday if anything if not I'm expecting early next week. 

I hope so... I'm getting antsy a little haha.

• Like 1

grimacedia    12

I wish the guidebook would post, I have a hard time processing all the possible events when they're packed onto the page like that. 

• Like 1

Bsus1412    9
1 hour ago, grimacedia said:

I wish the guidebook would post, I have a hard time processing all the possible events when they're packed onto the page like that. 

If Otakon's run anything like Awesome Con, the Guidebook should be going up next Tuesday, though they may state Monday.

• Like 1

Tachibana    13

Hm, I'm not certain if I should put this on the Q&A section or not, but I notice that the schedule has been updated to show who's signing during the grouped sessions. I recall in years past the Gundam sessions have been for only Gundam merchandise- thus, would the one for English voice actors on Sunday be like that as well? Or are things from within the guests' bodies of work outside of Gundam allowed?

wolfy2005    5
On 7/26/2017 at 4:48 PM, wolfy2005 said:

I think I remember them mentioning it last year, but no Otakon Game Show this year? :(

Found it, they moved it to Sunday, which works out perfect for me. They must have added it later because I'm sure I went over the whole schedule with a fine toothed comb and didn't see it.

DeskLaser    3
On 7/26/2017 at 10:25 PM, TnAdct1 said:

That's not near as bad as when Katsucon showed Attack Girls Swim Team vs The Undead, which is described as an erotic horror film, in the middle of the day, no age check, with the doors wide open, with some family conference going on also at the same time.

• Like 1

Aresef    43

When will the Guidebook be up?

• Like 1