OtakonNews

[Otakon News]Notice: Addition of Bag Inspection

TnAdct1    17
23 hours ago, Aresef said:

The only points of entry are the front door and M1 anyway.

Exactly. As those are the only places to enter Otakon, any dangerous weapon will be removed before it could reach the underground tunnel, making a bag inspection point in that area unnecessary.

wackedkid47    1
3 hours ago, Clutch said:

Does Otakon bear responsibility for any damage incurred during bag checks? Can damage claim information be posted in this thread?

From the Otakon website 

Bag Policy

• Bag/Coat check: Opens at 8:00PM.  There is a bag check available for a charge at the door. You must check your bag or you will not be admitted.
  • Otakon Staff will not hold, watch or in any way assume responsibility for member bags left out side, beside, or near entrance to Dance.
  • Check your coat at your own risk. The WEWCC and Otakon CANNOT be held responsible for items checked.
  • Must retain ticket to claim items checked

Note. This policy is to ensure member safety and prevent sale or distribution of prohibited substances.

Hainiryuun    17
1 hour ago, wackedkid47 said:

From the Otakon website 

Bag Policy

• Bag/Coat check: Opens at 8:00PM.  There is a bag check available for a charge at the door. You must check your bag or you will not be admitted.
  • Otakon Staff will not hold, watch or in any way assume responsibility for member bags left out side, beside, or near entrance to Dance.
  • Check your coat at your own risk. The WEWCC and Otakon CANNOT be held responsible for items checked.

Note. This policy is to ensure member safety and prevent sale or distribution of prohibited substances.

I think they mean if security breaks something while going through/searching bags at the entrances, not the actual bag/coat check.

• Like 1

EdKitten    43
10 hours ago, Maydog said:

Just wondering were there long lines outside waiting to go in? Were they lines up around the building? How did it work?  We're there enough to inspect the bags to keep the flow moving? I'm hoping this will go smoothly. No long waits or lines

Please see the PM.  Thanks.

Not trying to hide anything -- just was a long post.  Basically said the line was long outside and didn't know how fast/slow it went, since I had a VIP badge which was a separate line.  The bag check actually went pretty fast.

Edited by EdKitten

Maydog    19
5 hours ago, EdKitten said:

Please see the PM.  Thanks.

Not trying to hide anything -- just was a long post.  Basically said the line was long outside and didn't know how fast/slow it went, since I had a VIP badge which was a separate line.  The bag check actually went pretty fast.

This is great to hear. Thank you for providing some insight into it. Hopefully it will be the same as when you attended that convention then. It is understood that Otakon is still in the process of working with the contractor to work out the kinks. I would think that when they are ready they will then post a general direction to all the members describing how it will work. The last thing Otakon would want is for any of the members to be waiting outside or anywhere else on long lines. 

• Like 1

kimmibeans    76
On 7/26/2017 at 4:33 PM, onsenmark said:

Well, gee. I guess this means I can't bring my bento in with me and have lunch at the con, then. 9__

Security will be checking for Weapons, not food.

On 7/27/2017 at 3:52 AM, StarCreator said:

Is the bag check contractor/staging area the same as Awesomecon's? That went over just fine the one day I went; was held up no more than 5-10 minutes at around 1 PM Saturday.

We are using the same security contractors, so most likely. I wasn't at Awesome Con though so I can't confirm that  

20 hours ago, Shadowfax04 said:

Can someone on the staff say whether or not people who don't have a bag will still have to wait in a line for bag checks at the entrance?

If you don't have a bag you will be able to bypass bag inspection. Please note there will not be bag inspections during Thursday pickup

On 7/27/2017 at 1:43 AM, Hainiryuun said:

On that note, will there be bag checks for people going back and forth between the Marriot and the convention center via the underground tunnel?

Like, it would be annoying as hell to have to go through multiple bag checks just to go between each building for panels, and on the flip side, if there isn't, then anyone can just circumvent the bag check by entering the convention center through the underground tunnel.

Nope. There is one when you enter the exhibit space in the Marriott and one on the convention center. You will not have to do it again at the tunnel.

14 hours ago, Clutch said:

Does Otakon bear responsibility for any damage incurred during bag checks? Can damage claim information be posted in this thread?

If an item gets damaged during bag inspection please come to Access Control in room 204A to fill out an incident report. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

kimmibeans    76
10 hours ago, wackedkid47 said:

From the Otakon website 

Bag Policy

This refers to the bag/coat check for the Otakon Dance, not the bag inspections at the door.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ewing46    1

Does this mean that we will have to go through the bag check process anytime we leave the convention and plan to re-enter throughout the weekend? Often times people head back to their hotel to take a break, change cosplay, grab something to eat, etc. So if that is the case, anytime we leave and plan to come back with a bag we need to budget an unknown amount of extra time to get through the bag check again before heading to a panel or other activity?

Neardawg    7

This is either going to add a significant amount of time to the line getting, especially since there's only two entrances, or the bag checks will be superficial.  There's no way this will make us "safe".  I'm just glad I'm old enough to remember what it was like to walk into a public venue without an exam.

EdKitten    43
4 hours ago, Maydog said:

This is great to hear. Thank you for providing some insight into it. Hopefully it will be the same as when you attended that convention then. It is understood that Otakon is still in the process of working with the contractor to work out the kinks. I would think that when they are ready they will then post a general direction to all the members describing how it will work. The last thing Otakon would want is for any of the members to be waiting outside or anywhere else on long lines.

Thanks!  That'd be great if Otakon posts directions describing how the lines are gonna work.  Have they done that in the past?  If so, I must have missed it.

Maydog    19
3 hours ago, EdKitten said:

Thanks!  That'd be great if Otakon posts directions describing how the lines are gonna work.  Have they done that in the past?  If so, I must have missed it.

I don't recall bag checks occurring in my history, But I know that Otakon will wait till everything is final before any announcement is posted. I am going to send a message to Kimmibeans on this point since she is graciously providing clarification on some posts on this subject. 

• Like 1

Maydog    19
7 hours ago, kimmibeans said:

Security will be checking for Weapons, not food.

We are using the same security contractors, so most likely. I wasn't at Awesome Con though so I can't confirm that  

If you don't have a bag you will be able to bypass bag inspection. Please note there will not be bag inspections during Thursday pickup

Nope. There is one when you enter the exhibit space in the Marriott and one on the convention center. You will not have to do it again at the tunnel.

If an item gets damaged during bag inspection please come to Access Control in room 204A to fill out an incident report. 

Hello Kimmibeans,

Would you be able Provide some info on approx when Otacorp will announce the full details for bag check addition for Otakon? This can then lay to rest what the attendee can expect when planning the visit. Thank you.

• Like 1

TnAdct1    17
2 hours ago, Maydog said:

Hello Kimmibeans,

Would you be able Provide some info on approx when Otacorp will announce the full details for bag check addition for Otakon? This can then lay to rest what the attendee can expect when planning the visit. Thank you.

While we're at it, any word on if they will be two separate entrance lines for the WEWCC on Friday and Saturday morning (one for those with badges, the other for those that need to pick one up), thus making things easier for those waiting to get into the convention center?

• Like 1

kimmibeans    76
16 hours ago, Maydog said:

Hello Kimmibeans,

There really isn't much. Have your bag open, don't carry any weapons. This isn't a TSA level inspection, it's a quick check to make sure there aren't illicit materials. If you have further questions I am more than happy to answer them, but there aren't many details beyond that, unless I am missing something.

13 hours ago, TnAdct1 said:

While we're at it, any word on if they will be two separate entrance lines for the WEWCC on Friday and Saturday morning (one for those with badges, the other for those that need to pick one up), thus making things easier for those waiting to get into the convention center?

Yes. As always, there will be a separate at con reg and pre-reg line. We should be posting details of that closer to con. There will also be another line for people with badges. I have attached a mock-up of what it will look like in front of the WEWCC for Friday and Saturday (subject to change).

IMG_0097.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Maydog    19

Thank you Kimmibeans for your quick response on this. Yes your info regarding the bag check certainly clears it up for me now and I hope for others also who have posted concerns on this topic. Doesn't seem like a big deal then and should move fast. Thanks again. 

• Like 1

KSweeley    40

Well everyone, be prepared that bag checks might be not limited to just this year's Otakon but all Otakons held in D.C.

I've been told by a Baltimore/D.C. area friend of mine that bag checks are required at all events held at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center, AwesomeCon since it's inception has had a bag check requirement due to the venue itself (the WEWCC) requiring bag checks according to my friend.

This is a new requirement as I've been attending Otakon since 2001 non-stop and while at the Baltimore Convention Center there weren't required bag checks.

This is understandable to me however, it is Washington D.C., they want everyone to be safe and protected as much as possible.

Revengel    17
On 7/27/2017 at 6:59 PM, Daniel Perales said:

You know, the bottom line is: DON'T BRING ANYTHING UNNECESSARY IN THE CONVENTION CENTER THAT YOU KNOW YOU DO NOT NEED!

Don't mean to shout at you personally.

This.

By the way I've been to several events there, and they've all run smoothly and had bag checks.

Have faith and patience.

Revengel    17
On 7/31/2017 at 5:53 AM, KSweeley said:

Well everyone, be prepared that bag checks might be not limited to just this year's Otakon but all Otakons held in D.C.

I've been told by a Baltimore/D.C. area friend of mine that bag checks are required at all events held at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center, AwesomeCon since it's inception has had a bag check requirement due to the venue itself (the WEWCC) requiring bag checks according to my friend.

This is a new requirement as I've been attending Otakon since 2001 non-stop and while at the Baltimore Convention Center there weren't required bag checks.

This is understandable to me however, it is Washington D.C., they want everyone to be safe and protected as much as possible.

Hey hey there. I have been going to Otakon since 1997, was born in Washington DC and have been attending things here my entire life.

Bag checks are not the end of the world. I have gone through bag checks with 17,000 people going into a Washington Capitals game, 80000 people to attend a Washington Redskins game, as well as various events at the convention center.

I'm not expecting Perfection. I don't believe anyone should. I think this is a great step and a wonderful heads up in advance.

For those who attempt to vilify Otakon because they are having a bag check? I will respect your opinion, but will state I am much More comfortable with the added steps for safety.

Nothing can be completely prevented. 

These are common-sense steps to be safer. Nothing more, nothing less.

• Like 1

Aresef    43
On 7/31/2017 at 5:53 AM, KSweeley said:

It's just good sense.

madokatan    0
On 8/8/2017 at 3:53 PM, Aresef said:

It's just good sense.

eh, honestly sounds more like a waste of time to me, they will either skim the bags and pretend to check them(accomplishing almost nothing) or check them seriously and in that scenario i imagine it'd be a VERY long wait. (they are very unlikely to do this though) 

Well bag check line for the tunnel is every bit as bad as I thought it would be. Haven't moved past the first escalators down from the lobby in close to 10 minutes now and more people just keep piling in. I'm completely surrounded by a large number of people in a small space and leaning against a glass balcony railing; how is this supposed to make us safer again?

Lum1n3s    49
On 8/8/2017 at 6:42 PM, Revengel said:

Hey hey there. I have been going to Otakon since 1997, was born in Washington DC and have been attending things here my entire life.

Bag checks are not the end of the world. I have gone through bag checks with 17,000 people going into a Washington Capitals game, 80000 people to attend a Washington Redskins game, as well as various events at the convention center.

I'm not expecting Perfection. I don't believe anyone should. I think this is a great step and a wonderful heads up in advance.

For those who attempt to vilify Otakon because they are having a bag check? I will respect your opinion, but will state I am much More comfortable with the added steps for safety.

Nothing can be completely prevented. 

These are common-sense steps to be safer. Nothing more, nothing less.

This, I would rather feel safe knowing people have their bags checked especially since that one incident at that convention where the guy went fully loaded so he could kill Tommy the green ranger. 

Im sure Otakon is trying their best especially since this is their first convention here.

Well after finally going through the bag check, what a joke. That was such a cursory glance that they probably couldn't even spot something in plain sight. Total waste of time.

• Like 1

razisgosu    9

Totally agree. That bag check was simple and honestly half the time i went through i really have to wonder if they were even looking in my bag.