Guest Beau Murphy

Otakon 2018 Guest Request

As I've been watching Dragon Ball Super I wish Otakon would finally get Ryo Horikawa. I know he has been at other conventions but I really want to meet him. Plus Legend of the Galactic Heroes is also finally legally available in the US. 

But other top Seiyuu

Kamiya Hiroshi 

Sakurai Takahiro 

Sakamoto Maaya (also a great musical guest)

There are plenty of other Seiyuu I would be more than happy with too but trying to limit to my choices. 

As for directors 

Rie Matsumoto 

Takahiro Omori

Akitaro Daichi

Hiroshi  Nagahama

Morio Asaka

Hiroyuki Imaishi

Junichi Sato

Sayo Yamamoto (and the rest of the Yuri on Ice staff)

Polysics hasn't been in the states, I don't think, since Kayo graduated. They've also never done a con before that I'm aware of, and they are fantastic live.

On 9/21/2017 at 10:13 AM, DeathJester said:

My request every year is always Asian Kung Fu Generation

I'd love to see them live! 

I recommend Ani-Mia. She is a Cosplay who has been a guest at over 100 conventions across the globe as well as judged championship cosplay contests, appeared in both online and print magazines. As well as a featured writer for Otaku USA Magazine, the premiere print magazine about anime and manga in the United States; and an official video host for ComicWow and PreviewsWorld, covering comics, toys, movies and anime.

Facebook Page: http://facebook.com/Ani.Mia.Cosplay
Twitter page: https://twitter.com/AniMiaOfficial
Instagram: http://instagram.com/animiaofficial

Email Address: Animia.cosplay@gmail.com

Folks, I've moved some stray guest requests for 2018 into this thread.  I've also locked up some older threads in anticipation of upcoming archiving/housekeeping.

As for me, I'm taking a little break this year -- something I'd kinda planned last year, but I ended up overseeing the Anisong World Matsuri instead. This year, it's more of a proper break, so I'll pop in here occasionally and will be giving what advice I can to the new blood behind the scenes.  Hopefully he'll pop in soon to take stock of things.

Fact is, I've been doing this here in the forums since we launched them in ...what, 2003 or so?  And I've been in various leadership roles almost since I joined staff in 2002, and have been helping since 1999.

If all goes as planned, you'll see me at con (both at upcoming Otakon Vegas and at Otakon in DC), but until then I'll be keeping a much lower profile than usual.  Be good!

Guest Beau Murphy

For Special Guests ( English Dub voice actors ) I would like to suggest the following: 

- Josh Grelle 

- Luci Christian 

- David Matranga 

All three work at Funimation and Sentai Filmworks Studios, and have recently been in such popular shows like Attack on Titan and My Hero Academia. I am certain, that having them attend here in Otakon Vegas 2018 for the first time would make this convention more memorable and worthwhile for us fans. 

7 hours ago, alabaster said:

Folks, I've moved some stray guest requests for 2018 into this thread.  I've also locked up some older threads in anticipation of upcoming archiving/housekeeping.

As for me, I'm taking a little break this year -- something I'd kinda planned last year, but I ended up overseeing the Anisong World Matsuri instead. This year, it's more of a proper break, so I'll pop in here occasionally and will be giving what advice I can to the new blood behind the scenes.  Hopefully he'll pop in soon to take stock of things.

Fact is, I've been doing this here in the forums since we launched them in ...what, 2003 or so?  And I've been in various leadership roles almost since I joined staff in 2002, and have been helping since 1999.

If all goes as planned, you'll see me at con (both at upcoming Otakon Vegas and at Otakon in DC), but until then I'll be keeping a much lower profile than usual.  Be good!

Well, if this really is your break, then make the most of it.  We'll miss you, man.

Folks:  Please use the existing guest request thread, which we DO follow, and don't create new threads to request specific guests.  It's much easier to keep them in one place.

Shifting this to the other one.

Andrew W. K.

He has two on-mission albums: covers of popular Japanese songs, and a Gundam tribute album, which would fit with the giant robot theme.

Sent from my YP-G70 using Tapatalk 2

Hmm...

Music: Granrodeo, Minori Chihara, OLDCODEX, Isao Sasaki, Mitsuko Horie

Production: Sunao Katabuchi, Yasuko Kobayashi, Sho Aikawa, Toshiki Inoue

Think Asuka from the WWE would work?

Sent from my YP-G70 using Tapatalk 2

Guest Brittany9451

Please have Austin st. John, jason david frank and amy jo Johnson there this year

Guest Bronte Loos

I’d like to request Sean Chiplock. He’s a voice actor that’s played characters in various games and anime. Characters that he’s played as include Kiyotaka Ishimaru from Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc, Revali from Breath of the Wild, Riehlvelt from Hunter X Hunter and more.

Voice Actors:

Johnny Yong Bosch

Chris Sabat

Sean Schemmel

Steve Blum

Mary Elizabeth McGlynn

Matt Mercer

Marisha Ray

Crispin Freeman

Travis Willingham

Laura Bailey

Wendee Lee

Grey Delisle

Phil LaMarr

Kari Wahlgren

Ben Diskin

Brina Palencia

Eric Vale

Creators/Writers:

Shinichiro Watanabe

Yasuhiro Nightow

Hiroyuki Takei

Ichiro Okouchi

Goro Taniguchi

Musical guests:

The Seatbelts

Asian Kung Fu Generation

LiSa

The faerie makes a guest request...animation director & character designer Mai Toda.

Guest weeb2018

I saw that he was invited once already for Otakon 2016 but I missed out that year so I would like to see him next year and get his autograph :(

Guest Raphael2885

Hello all ! :)

I'd like  to request  a cosplay guest!

I think  the Cosplay model Amouranth would be  a nice fun addition to  the Otakon  guest  lineup this year. She's really personable  and entertaining.  Of course does great  costumes as well,. Her  work as   costumed  children's entertainer prior to  getting into  more anime and  gaming cosplay  will make  a  a hit  with all con goers of all ages. She's expressed interest in going to more east coast cons since she is based in texas   and I think Otakon would be  a nice  welcoming for her. 

Thanks everyone!

Raphael 

Musical guests:

Wake Up, Girls!

I saw them at Anime Expo and was blown away by their performance! They were charismatic and their energy was infectious! All the girls can hold a note while doing difficult choreography. I also really like their songs, no duds at all. Reminds me of some classic AKB48, uplifting and has a message, they really got my heart and adrenaline pumping!

Aqours

I initially attended AX for Aqours (Hanamaru best girl :D) but I was the most awestruck by WUG (they were easily the best act that night).. However, Aqours was still great (they gave me a warm, fuzzy feel) and is a guaranteed crowd attractor so if you guys can bring them over here, then you really won the lottery ticket.

iDOLM@STER is also a good choice, they have a lot of US fans. 

Moving this to the existing request thread. 

Typically, Otakon has not invited cosplay celebrity guests, though some have obviously participated in our show as panelists, judges, or even (in the case of Yaya Han) as vendors in our dealer hall.

Don't know where else to put this, but I like the Todd Haberkorn video, if it isn't too much trouble, more of those would be cool. 

I think it'd be cool to see videos of announcements, as well.  They did that the Anisong World Matsuri guests for 2017.  And I'm very satisfied seeing Todd Haberkorn coming for the 25th anniversary.  One of the nicest voice actors out there.

I will say this however- I REALLY hope 2018's Otakon will have an improvement from last year's line up.  This is strictly my opinion, but 2017's Otakon, as I've said somewhere before had one of, if not the most disappointing guest line ups.  The only saving graces were the AWM performers, and Michelle Ruff.  And I say that Michelle Ruff is a saving grace, because Otakon needed someone who they haven't had for years, and Michelle was more than an excellent choice.  The problem was that the line up mainly consisted of repeats.  Some of which were guests the staff had a year or 2 ago.  I can't say for the Japanese side of the line up, but it was VERY evident with the dub actors side of things.  I strongly disagreed with the choices of having Stephanie Sheh and Mike Sinterniklass for a 2nd year in a year.  What was the reason for it anyway?  To further capitalize on the popularity of Makoto Shinkai's Your Name?  More Sailor Moon?  Popular demand?  If it's not any of those reasons, then which is it?  And I want to make this clear: I have nothing personal against either of them.  Mike is a good actor, just not someone I care too much about.  And while I do occasionally enjoy Stephanie's voice work, I find her to be quite overrated.  Both as a voice actress, and a con guest.

While I was happy with the staff having Michelle Ruff, Tyson Rinehart, and even having Vic Mignogna come back, 2017 was just one of those "meh" years for guests.  Honestly, I think it would've been better if they actually got some different people.  Like a couple of more folks they haven't had for years, and more of guests they haven't had even once before.

And since we're on the subject of repeat guests- In general, they're a double edged sword.  I believe I've said before that it always depends on the individual, and who the guest is, how familiar you are with their work, and how big a fan you are of them.  Sadly for me, the repeats from 2017 just didn't click with me.  Whatever reasons they had for some of them, I really think it would have been better (in my opinion, anyway) if they had a few previous guests who are more DESERVING to be brought back.  More so with guests they haven't had for 10+ years.

And sure, most reasons are the usual "the timing wasn't right", or "the guest was unavailable", or "the mixture of guests would be wrong".  I really do like to believe such of those reasons, but I'm just going to come right out and say it- These days, I can't help but feel that they're not actual reasons, but more like excuses.  For every guest announcement there was for 2017, some of my reactions ranged from- "meh, I'll wait for the next announcement" to "come on Otakon, YOU'RE BETTER THAN THIS!".  I just felt that it was just one of those years, where the guests had very little to offer me.

To top it all off, anytime I came on here to express my disappointments, and criticisms, there always has to be someone to reply to me and say something like "you're expecting too much".  Well hey, you can't expect me to be excited for EVERY guest they announce, can you?  And you can't expect me to agree with every choice in the guests, either.  I don't expect anyone to agree with me, and I'm not asking, either.  But if I can't disagree with anything, then how can I express whatever disappointments, or criticisms that I have?  Positives can't exist without negatives, everyone.  So what if I disagree with some of the choices in the guests?  My own opinion shouldn't have to reflect on how you feel about it.  I really don't like debating, and arguing with anybody, but it can be really hard when you feel attacked in some way, and people make you feel like you have no right to disagree.

I know that when some people (myself included) express their disagreements, and disappointments, we tend get quite vocal.  But it all boils down to that person's own personal tastes in guests, and what they'd like to see, and have more reason to want to look forward to the con.  But of course, it can't always be easy to get along all the time, can it?

I just needed to get that off my chest.  And like I said, this is all strictly my opinion, so please take it all with a grain of rice.

So real briefly:

On some level, it seems like you're just venting and don't want a response, and that's fine, but this is a guest request thread, on a forum designed for member interaction. Venting's fine, but if you vent *here*, it's only fair to expect a response, and in fact I'd argue we need to be responsive to complaints.

There is also a difference between being vocal and being needlessly abrasive and confrontational. If you find yourself constantly being challenged about your opinions, it's likely that *how* you express your opinions is what people are reacting to. I've been on this forum since it started and I try, as a rule, to be tactful and reasonable in my responses. (Full disclosure: I personally agree that the mix of guests felt a little off last year, but I'm privy to some of the reasons why particular calls were made, even if I can't discuss all of them here. It isn't my call to spill beans when I'm not in charge and didn't make the decisions, but I think you'll find that I have explained my own calls in the past, and hopefully that lends some credibility.)

Anyway, venting in public and then being upset when people push back on things you say or get defensive in response to your words?  That's not a healthy way to go, and will eventually lead to embittered troll-dom. It may be a hard lesson for all of us to learn, but other people have opinions and reasons that are different from ours, and the same right to share those as we do. This isn't anyone's personal soapbox for shouting unchallenged opinions into the ether, it's a forum for discussing and questioning and answering.

Look, you absolutely have the right to disagree with the choices made, but we (your fellow forum members and staff as well) also have the right to provide another perspective, and explain why a choice might have been made. Where things get unhappy is when someone claims that a decision they personally disagree with is either evidence of a laziness on the part of the organizers, or a terrible choice because of irrelevance -- and it is patently untrue.  A few popular but frequent voice actors get complaints from a vocal minority, for example, but routinely pack rooms and book new shows. You may personally be tired of them, but that's fine; they're still an excellent use of convention resources and a guaranteed draw. And there are a few friends that we can rely on to fill seats and fill in for a drop-out.

Because I wasn't in charge of guests last year (just the AWM show), I can't speak much to specifics, but I will say that there was a reliance on proven guests last year, and it wasn't necessarily the mix I'd have brought.  Nearly everyone we brought were folks I've known for  years, most of them friends, but none of them were my call. As you know, the only real exception to the "don't repeat guests two years in a row" rule has been Maruyama-san; for pretty much all other cases, industry has sponsored the repeat guest for their own reasons. Michael and Stephanie, and a few others, were here for that reason primarily.   (They're also personal friends, but I've tried very hard not to let that influence my decisions, and at any rate I had no say in their presence.)  Even so, Your Name was a big deal, and Gundam was having anniversary, and they're both knee deep in that stuff.

So to sum up:
* Lots of things go into the decision to bring a particular guest.
* The repeats were likely because of industry requests, or may have been replacements for other planned guests that you never heard about.
* The mix of guests last year was a little more reliant on prior guests than we usually are, but that's at least party because of the move and the need to have dependable draws
* It's fine to feel however you feel about a particular guest, but if you post a complaint in our forums and don't expect us to address it, and don't expect others to weigh in with their opinions, you're misunderstanding the point of a forum.

As I'm sure I've made myself clear multiple times over I exclusively come to conventions for Japanese guests, primarily and most importantly voice actors and anisong musical guests. Pretty much nothing in the English scene interests me. So I do completely agree that last years line up was mostly disappointing to me. The concerts were great and just barely getting TMRs autograph was absolutely amazing. But outside of that I mostly found myself just wandering around with not much to do.

I'm hoping that since next year is Otakon's 25th year and the line up for the 19th and 20th year was pretty great that next year will be just as great.

• Like 2

The faerie is going to make a musical guest request: "Fhana".  I think that band would be perfect to have over for the 25th con.

• Like 1

I'd definitely like to request Jeremy Inman. His last con was in Chicago, so he's in the travel area compared to other VAs. I contacted him on Twitter recently, and he's very much open to doing cons on the East Coast.

For other voice actors, I would like to request Robert McCollum (another primary East Coast VA) Wendy Powell and Candice Moore.

Guest Kaylee

Hiii everyone I and my group would love to see if we could invite either/both. Jess nigri/Kamuoi cosplay.   Or voice actor Bryce papenbrook!! Can’t wait for the con !

Guest Danielle

They are amazing cosplayers and uptown has done many panels in the past. She has done soul eater, miraculous ladybug, and she has done 18+ panel. 

It would be REALLY cool if twinfools and novavandorwolf (Fighting Dreamers Productions) could attend Otakon as guests. They have over 180,000 on YouTube and over 70k on Instagram combined. They have been guests at other cons and have done panels regarding Yuri on Ice, Final Fantasy, and Miraculous Ladybug. It would be awesome if they could attend as guests. 

• Like 1

--not staff--

First, guest requests go in the sticky. Second, they don't bring plain old panelists to Otakon as guests. However, certain fan panelists, like people on the level of a Charles Dunbar, are listed as featured panelists in the program. This might be an events question. Like I said, I am not staff.

I would like to take this time to explain my reasoning for certain guests I requested. 

Johnny Yong Bosch, Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, and Steve Blum have not come to Otakon in over 5 years(in Blum's case over 10). Grey DeLisle and Phil LaMarr have both done a little bit of anime, but also have had big roles in Asian influenced animation(Avatar: The Last Airbender, Samurai Jack etc.) It would be a nice change of pace seeing them there. Matt Mercer, Marisha Ray, and Kari Wahlgren have never been to Otakon so they are great options for fresh faces. 

Now for some more guest requests:

Monica Rial

Yuri Lowenthal

Tara Platt

Justin Cook

Chuck Huber

John Burgmeier

Cynthia Cranz

Dan Green

Patrick Seitz

Stephanie Young

Ian Sinclair

Luci Christian

Rob McCollum

Damien Clarke

Kate Higgins

Additional: anyone from Pop Team Epic. Of course, this could be interesting, as there are different seiyuu/VAs for the main characters in each episode(more like each HALF, really).

Or Bkub Okawa, if he ain't busy. ^^;

Masaki Tachibana - Director. Some of his works: Princess Principal, Barakamon, and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 

Daisuke Namikawa - Voice Actor. God Daisuke. Insane range and most versatile in the industry. I would pay big $$$ to see him. 

Aoi Yuuki - Voice Actress, she did the voice of everyone's favorite frog girl in My Hero Academia. She also voiced Diane in Nanatsu no Taizai and Tatsumaki in OPM amongst other roles. 

Tensai Okamura - Director and animator. Some of his works: Blue Exorcist, Ghost in the Shell, Nanatsu no Taizai and Wolf's Rain.

Shiori Mikami - Voice Actress. Krista's voice in Attack on Titan and Akari's in Yuru Yuri.

Masahiko Oota - Director. Some of his works: Himouto! Umaru-chan, Minami-ke, and Yuru Yuri.

Yoshida Reiko - Screenwriter. Some of her stuff: Aria, Bakuman, K-On and Non Non Biyori.

Shinya Kawatsura - Directed Kokoro Connect, Non Non Biyori, Tanaka-kun and more.

Ryo Horikawa - Voice Actor. Vegeta in DBZ, Heiji in Detective Conan, Reinhard in Legend of Galactic Heroes and the list goes on.

Megumi Hayashibara - Voice Actress. Living legend. Faye in Cowboy Bebop, Haibara in Detective Conan, Rei in Neon Genesis Evangelion, Musashi in Pokemon, Ranma in Ranma ½, Anna in Shaman King, Genkai in Yu Yu Hakusho and more!!

Edited by eternaltorture

The faerie makes another [relevant] guest request:  Justin Briner.  No need to explain.

On 1/30/2018 at 1:31 PM, CocoFaerie said:

The faerie makes another [relevant] guest request:  Justin Briner.  No need to explain.

I second Justin Briner.  He's slowly, but very surely becoming bigger, so I'd say he's already relevant enough.  His role as Deku on My Hero Academia was the role that definitely put him on the map.  If the staff decides to invite him, I'm all for it, since MHA in my opinion is probably the best shonen series in recent years.

It would be awesome to have guests involved with Fooly Cooly. Especially since the new seasons are coming out. I'd really like to see Kari Wahlgren, Barbara Goodson, and have the pillows perform.

I would love to see cosplayers Stella Chuu and Yaya Han back at Otakon again. Also, may I recommend some KPop acts doing a concert, or at least the Matsuri? I know groups like EXO, Bigbang or Blackpink may be big asks but it would be a welcome change outside of JPop performers/bands. Lastly, for the 18+, book some hentai writers/voice actors/idols for panels/Q&A/autograph sessions, Marica Hase for example?

On 8/15/2017 at 1:05 PM, xiutea said:

My biggest issue with this year's con was the abundance of English voice actors compared to Japanese seiyuu. So next year I'd like to see a lot more Japanese seiyuu and guests in general.

Seiyuu:
Daisuke Hirakawa
Yuka Iguchi
Hiroshi Kamiya
Takehito Koyasu
Rie Kugimiya
Mamoru Miyano
Daisuke Ono
Chiwa Saito
Maaya Sakamoto
Takahiro Sakurai
Kouki Uchiyama

English VAs:
Dante Basco (Really enjoyed his panel the year that he came!)

Creators/Authors/Directors:
Hirohiko Araki
Kouhei Horikoshi
Kazutaka Kodaka
Kiyotaka Oshiyama

(I know that the mangaka will probably be impossible to get but hey, let me dream)

Musical Acts:
batta
DAOKO
Utada Hikaru
THE ORAL CIGARETTES
Yui

(Would also love to see another k-pop act)

I would love to see yui id also like to see stereopony get back together or see scandal or maybe even baby metal at the con

I would like to throw out yet another vote for THE ORAL CIGARETTES ~!!  They are amazing~!

Also, I would love love love if Anisong/Lantis could be brought back ^_^

Hello~ I’m super looking forward to Otakon (like I am every year). 

I would love to see 

Sugita Tomokazu @SugitaLOV on Twitter. 

He is Gintoki from Gintama 

Kyon from Haruhi 

Katakuri from One Piece

and the list goes on. I don’t believe he has ever been to Otakon before either. 

Kappei Yamaguchi 

I think he was at an Otakon before but that would have been more than 10 years ago now. 

Any Seiyuu from One Piece

Musical Guests:

Bradio http://bradio.jp/

I love Bradio! They did the opening to Death Parade, but all their songs are great and they have never performed at an American Con  

Namie Amuro 

lol I know you guys aren’t going to get her, but she is my favorite singer and he is retiring in September  

Asian Kung-Fu Generation

Mai Kuraki

SID

Guest TaigaChan

I'd like to request a few guest, I understand not all of them will be able to be gotten however it doesnt hurt to try.

Morgan Berry- she is best known for voicing Yoshiko from love live sunshine

Luci Christian - alois from black butler, honey senpai from host club, medusa from soul eater and many more

CHRISTINE MARIE CABANOS- mako from kill la kill, minorin from toradora, silica from sao, and more

Popping back in briefly with a little info:

Rest assured that most of the folks you're requesting aren't avoiding us, but scheduling and demand and other things have kept them away.  Which sucks for me, because some of them are personal friends and it's a lingering annoyance to have not had them over for a while.

One factor in which guests we get is the cost of bringing the guest. And some guests are just more expensive to bring. High demand guests sometimes use higher fees to narrow down the requests; they can't possibly hope to satisfy everyone.  Quite a few folks pro-rate their appearance fees based on the size of the con, so they can still do a range of events without screwing over smaller events.  Sometimes industry covers the appearance fees, and sometimes they don't.  The fees overall have grown considerably in the past 5-10 years, and it wasn't all THAT long ago that it was rare for a voice actor to charge at all.  But it's only fair to pay for their time, especially since it sometimes comes at the expense of their main gig.

The typical "autograph show / comicon" model (which is the norm for many events, but not ours) is that a guest is offered a guarantee -- basically the event guarantees the guest will earn $xxx in income, and most of that income comes from merchandise sales, and the event pays the difference. Guests don't do free autographs as a rule, though some VIP packages include them.  So for example, a top-tier Marvel or Star Trek actor may charge $75k as a guarantee, but most of that will come from merch sales and photo ops.  But that has never been our business model, and we aren't currently set up to deal with things that way. We have experimented a little in Vegas, but again faced an issue of space and lining space in particular.

We've pushed very hard to avoid that model, primarily so you'd still have a free autograph option.  We also don't want to be handling money on behalf of the guests, which can get tricky and open up liability concerns.  One *other* reason, however, was that in Baltimore we didn't have space to set up autograph lines and merch tables, and the scheduling of the available space was such that there wasn't really an option to let a guest run late. We did experiment with dealer-hall based autographs, but again, Baltimore was too cramped for that to make sense.

Space is no longer an issue in DC, and I know it's been discussed.  I don't know how Ethan and company are working through the options there, but I know that we are trying to find the balance that still gives as many people as possible the chance to get an autograph or meet the guest.

And just to make things clear, I certainly do not begrudge guests being paid for their time -- it may not look it, but they work extremely hard and entertaining a live crowd and being "on" for autographs sessions are demanding, exhausting work. It has nothing to do with their love for their fans, and nearly all of them are quite appreciative of you guys.  But anime guests, and US voice actors in particular, are working actors, and the work is competitive and not particularly lucrative.  It gets trickier with crossover artists like Steve and Mary Elizabeth, who are in higher demand because of their Star Wars and video game work.  When they appear at anime cons, it's because they really do want to. But the reality is they've got bills to pay too.

On 11/8/2017 at 10:29 PM, Guest Brittany9451 said:

Please have Austin st. John, jason david frank and amy jo Johnson there this year

You can have 2 of 3. One will demand veto power to keep another from coming. Frank has been to Otakon before, but I'd personally rather Otakon stuck closer to its mission. But St. John is a personal hero of mine (and not in the just-on-TV way).