Guest Beau Murphy

Otakon 2018 Guest Request

Guest Guy Spaid III

Is there any chance you could invite the voice of Ash and May from Pokemon (Veronica Taylor) to Otakon 2018? She knows a thing or two about Asian culture and anime.

Okay, I guess it's time to throw my hat into the ring.  I'm fully aware that plenty of the names I'm about to toss out here don't stand a snowball's chance in hell of making it here, but here goes.

Voice actors (Japanese):

Kouichi Yamadera

Unshou Ishizuka

Kotono Mitsuishi

Aya Hisakawa

Emi Shinohara

Miki Itou

Michie Tomizawa

Sayaka Ohara

Miyuki Sawashiro

Shizuka Itou

Rina Satou

Satomi Arai

Ryuunosuke Kamiki

Miyu Irino

Yukari Tamura

Natsuki Hanae

Kana Hanazawa

Toshihiko Seki

Soma Saitou

Sora Amamiya

Haruka Tomatsu

Yuuki Kaji

Ami Koshimizu

Voice Actors (North American):

Crispin Freeman

Colleen Clinkenbeard

Tara Sands

Cristina Vee

Bryce Papenbrook

Shelley Calene-Black

Jerry Jewell

Monica Rial

Corey Hartzog

Patrick Seitz

Erica Mendez

Mary Elizabeth McGlynn

Creators/Authors/Directors:

Sayo Yamamoto

Kunihiko Ikuhara

Yoshiyuki Asai

Michiko Yokote

Yoh Yoshinari

Masahiko Otsuka

Range Murata

Hakua Ugetsu

Yoshiaki Kawajiri

Mitsuo Iso

Hiromasa Yonebayashi

Ichiro Itano

Hiroyuki Imaishi

Akitaro Daichi

Shinichiro Watanabe

Musicians:

The 5 6 7 8s

Guitar Wolf

SiD

Whew!  There you go, folks.  Let the chips fall where they may.

On 2/14/2018 at 3:47 AM, Kewshi said:

I would love to see yui

Well, Yui gave birth to twins a couple of years ago, so I'm kinda doubtful on her, alas.  If not for that, I'd be requesting her too.

Edited by Zeeba Neighba

Guest Sammy

I am making this post to request that Somethingwitty Entertainment be invited to Otakon 2018. They make fantastic abridging content on youtube and it would be fabulous for the anime community to have them there!  Please take this request into consideration! Thanks a million!

Musical Guests: 96neko, Sayuri, Kenshi Yonezu, Aki Toyosaki (also seiyuu), Yanagi Nagi, Radwimps, ClariS, Choucho, fripSide

Seiyuu: Ayana Taketatsu, Kana Hanazawa, Eri Kitamura, Mai Nakahara, Maaya Sakamoto, Miyuki Sawashiro, Rie Kugimiya, Daisuke Ono, Mamoru Miyano

Creators: Jun Maeda (Visual Arts/Key), Nisio Issin (Monogatari Series), Ryogo Narita

Series-related guests (anyone would literally do): Monogatari Series, fate/stay night Heaven's Feel, Steins;Gate

Please post guest requests in the main guest request thread. (Moving there now.)

Edited by alabaster

I'd love to see Goose House as a musical guest. Not sure how easy it would be to rope them in but it would be an awesome experience. 

Here's a question for both sides of attendees and staff- Is anyone willing to see Overwatch voice actors as guests?

One thing I've noticed ever since Overwatch was released 2 years is that while Overwatch is a video game, a few anime cons have hosted at least one or two actors who work on Overwatch as guests.  For example, last year at Katsucon 2017, they had Darin De Paul (Reinhardt), and this year they had Keith Silverstein (Torbjorn), Josh Petersdorf (Roadhog), Anjali Bhimani (Symmetra), and Johnny Cruz (Lucio), and at the last Anime NYC, they had Charlet Chung (D.Va).  Not only that, but at least a few of the actors do plenty of anime already, like Keith, as I've mentioned, and even Matt Mercer (McCree), and Crispin Freeman (Winston).  While we know you guys have had Crispin Freeman a couple of times already, but even Matt and Keith are good choices for dub guests outside of working on Overwatch.  Even Fred Tatasciore (Soldier: 76) has dabbled in a little bit of anime dubbing.  Though I know it'd be a real challenge.  Like Matt Mercer is often busy juggling between voice work in anime and games, and his duties with what he does on Critical Role.  And Fred, as good as he is tends to keep super busy.  But even so, I think it'd be nice to see them as guests at Otakon someday.

Sure Otakon is an anime con, and Overwatch is just a video game, but as we all know, anime and video games are VERY synonymous with one another.  So is anyone on the staff open to hosting any Overwatch actors like the ones I've mentioned?  While the answer is probably what Alabaster has just previously said, I thought it wouldn't hurt to know what some other people think.

3 hours ago, UzumakiWarlord said:

Here's a question for both sides of attendees and staff- Is anyone willing to see Overwatch voice actors as guests?

One thing I've noticed ever since Overwatch was released 2 years is that while Overwatch is a video game, a few anime cons have hosted at least one or two actors who work on Overwatch as guests.  For example, last year at Katsucon 2017, they had Darin De Paul (Reinhardt), and this year they had Keith Silverstein (Torbjorn), Josh Petersdorf (Roadhog), Anjali Bhimani (Symmetra), and Johnny Cruz (Lucio), and at the last Anime NYC, they had Charlet Chung (D.Va).  Not only that, but at least a few of the actors do plenty of anime already, like Keith, as I've mentioned, and even Matt Mercer (McCree), and Crispin Freeman (Winston).  While we know you guys have had Crispin Freeman a couple of times already, but even Matt and Keith are good choices for dub guests outside of working on Overwatch.  Even Fred Tatasciore (Soldier: 76) has dabbled in a little bit of anime dubbing.  Though I know it'd be a real challenge.  Like Matt Mercer is often busy juggling between voice work in anime and games, and his duties with what he does on Critical Role.  And Fred, as good as he is tends to keep super busy.  But even so, I think it'd be nice to see them as guests at Otakon someday.

Sure Otakon is an anime con, and Overwatch is just a video game, but as we all know, anime and video games are VERY synonymous with one another.  So is anyone on the staff open to hosting any Overwatch actors like the ones I've mentioned?  While the answer is probably what Alabaster has just previously said, I thought it wouldn't hurt to know what some other people think.

Again, disclaimer:  I'm speaking from prior experience and not for Ethan, who's making the calls this year.

There's no particular reason why an actor known for video game work would be excluded from consideration. But we've typically aimed for guests who EITHER are tied to a specific hot new property (and thus are possibly supported by industry) or tick multiple boxes. Crispin's a great example -- he's a very popular guests, he brings good content, and he's in a ton of anime, video games, and other cartoons. The more boxes someone ticks, the greater their draw tends to be, and the more they have to contribute to the overall mission.  Many voice actors also direct, adapt scripts, etc. which means they have plenty to discuss, and we've never really wanted to be an autograph show (not that there's anything particularly wrong with those). The more ties to our cultural and educational mission, the better.

I've usually said we're an East Asian culture convention; many of our voice guests do a wide range of voice work including video games, Disney shows, etc.  Nearly all of them are based in LA (because that's where most of the work is, excluding Funimation's Texas studio and a bit in NYC), and some are pricey to get,  partly because they're being competed for by events focused more tightly on video games or Disney properties.   For example, we tried several years back to get the voice of Solid Snake (David Hayter) for MGS's anniversary. If memory serves, he was already booked too close to our dates for us to score him, but I think another time he was unable to commit due to work as a scriptwriter.

In some other cases, the work is frequent and short-notice enough that some folks are reluctant to take bookings that might conflict with likely work -- and our usual timing is one reason it's sometimes difficult for us to get seiyuu guests from Japan as well as guests who do non-anime US shows. In both cases we tend to fall close to the end of the deadline for fall launch projects and that can make it difficult to get firm commitments.

That said, I'm sure Ethan's aware of the draw of Overwatch, but it is worth noting that the game itself is not a Japanese or Korean developed game, but one developed by Blizzard, which is firmly US-based, so the connection to east Asian culture's a bit more tenuous. 

Edited by alabaster

Guest Sprucey

Please invite Bryce Papenbrock and Johnny Yong Bosch to Okaton 2018!!

I can't believe both concerts this year are final fantasy. That is utterly disappointing. Not a single Jpop/Jrock group for the 25th anniversary. I sincerely hope there are some solid Japanese guests coming this year to make up for the fact there won't be Japanese musical guests. Hoping for some high quality current female seiyuu (Hana Kana, Yuuki Aoi, Touyama Nao, Ogura Yui, Taketatsu Ayana would all be great picks) , but I definitely won't be holding my breath.

6 hours ago, razisgosu said:

I can't believe both concerts this year are final fantasy. That is utterly disappointing. Not a single Jpop/Jrock group for the 25th anniversary. I sincerely hope there are some solid Japanese guests coming this year to make up for the fact there won't be Japanese musical guests. Hoping for some high quality current female seiyuu (Hana Kana, Yuuki Aoi, Touyama Nao, Ogura Yui, Taketatsu Ayana would all be great picks) , but I definitely won't be holding my breath.

Don't you think it's much early to jump right to complaining?  While even I do think having a J Rock band be invited would've been another excellent choice, I welcome the Final Fantasy concerts.  It's been a dream of many (myself included) to want to see a live orchestra perform Final Fantasy music.  And also consider it fitting for the con's 25th anniversary.  Even if you're not a fan of the franchise, you can't deny that it has very great music.  And also, IT'S STILL MARCH!  It's still 5 months until the con, you know.

It's march and the concert announcements have been confirmed to be a huge bust for me. If i wanted video game music I'd go buy the games. 

I absolutely don't think it's too early for complaining. 5 months away and some of the biggest draws to a convention for me have just been confirmed completely useless to me. 

I'm a HUGE Final Fantasy fan and was very excited to find out that the Friday concert was Distant Worlds, but I'll be honest, I was a little concerned when I saw that A New World was the Sunday Concert. I know that Final Fantasy and orchestral music is not everyone's cup of tea, so to double down on those things for 2 concerts, while great for me, makes me feel bad for my fellow Otakon goers who aren't into either of those things. Hopefully something will be announced in the coming months which will be good news for those of you who weren't excited at the prospect of Final Fantasy music played by a live orchestra.

Personally, I was hoping for something like Wagakki Band for one of the concerts.

Edited by Krabstarr
Change video link

4 hours ago, Krabstarr said:

I'm a HUGE Final Fantasy fan and was very excited to find out that the Friday concert was Distant Worlds, but I'll be honest, I was a little concerned when I saw that A New World was the Sunday Concert. I know that Final Fantasy and orchestral music is not everyone's cup of tea, so to double down on those things for 2 concerts, while great for me, makes me feel bad for my fellow Otakon goers who aren't into either of those things. Hopefully something will be announced in the coming months which will be good news for those of you who weren't excited at the prospect of Final Fantasy music played by a live orchestra.

Personally, I was hoping for something like Wagakki Band for one of the concerts.

I don't think so, the facebook post said, "It wouldn't be Otakon if we only had one musical performance" which seems to imply this is it for musical guest. 

I have to admit doubling up on the same music guest for Friday and Sunday and the lack of Anime World Matsuri it seems this year does make me a bit worried for Otakon 25 guest wise.

His name has been brought up quite a bit recently but to see Crispin Freeman return to Otakon after five years would be really awesome! It seems like he mainly attends west coast cons but-- it would be really really awesome if he wound up coming to Otakon's new location! :) Troy Baker is also high on my guest request list but I am not sure if he still tours at anime cons anymore!

As I mentioned to Ethan, few things are as predictable as the March Complaints. 

Most years, we're charging ahead on the guest front months early, and while some stuff has been in the works for ages, one big question that wasn't really resolved until quite late last year was what the actual costs were for our first year in DC. This past year was always going to be one where we had to assess the impact of massive changes, new contracts, new people, and various growing pains. So the budget was not settled until later than we'd hoped, and we still had Vegas to sort out and assess.  And while Otakon's guest budget has been pretty stable for some time,  the costs of bringing guests, and the sort of assistance we've had from Industry, have changed considerably in the last five years. Also, there have been changes in visa requirements (or in how they're scrutinized) in the last 2-3 years as well, which has some impact on availability of some guests -- especially musical acts from Japan and Korea.  All of which has been felt behind the scenes, but probably won't be noticeable by the time con hits in August.

But if you look back, we'd typically have maybe 2-3 guests announced by now (usually an early-signed popular US voice actor -- check -- and a musical act -- check), and quite a few others in the works.  Historically, our March trip to Japan was where we cemented a lot of the J-guests but it still takes a while to get contracts and other arrangements sorted.   And as for US guests, the specific assortment is always partly dependent on decisions that don't get made until early in the year when companies reassess their promotion plans for various shows, a lot of which happens after AnimeJapan/TAF in March.  Historically, we'd expect to find out about US releases of new shows that would be timed appropriately to splash big at Otakon right about now, as well. April and May have historically been pretty big months for announcements, but some years we've been announcing new guests up until the print deadline in July!

It is *FAR* too early to be worried.

My main disappointment revolved around the double orchestra announcement primarily, not so much the timing. If you're still looking for more potential concerts my complaints vanish. But typical otakon itinerary is 2 concerts, Friday and Sunday with sometimes a guest appearance at the masquerade. So with that being said my complaint comes from my perspective of not having a concert that i would find enjoyable to go to. 

I'll certainly look forward to your future announcements for the convention. I'm not worried, just voicing my own disappointment in what I can see and know is typical from years past.

I have to echo some of the sentiment of seeing the two FF shows being announced. I love orchestral concerts, especially for anime. I'm fine with games too. And the Final Fantasy team do a good job. But the shows by Roth and Nobu are sooooo played out across the US that I've given up chances to see them even when they're playing in the local area, just because I've already seen them a handful of times in these parts of America. Like, compared to Fanime getting Hisaishi, this is like extremely second fiddle... It's not a good look for an anime con that is supposedly big on its music guest, and one of the biggest cons in America.

On 3/28/2018 at 12:12 PM, rotinoma said:

It's not a good look for an anime con that is supposedly big on its music guest, and one of the biggest cons in America.

Let me preface that I've never played any of the Final Fantasy (FF) games and therefore can't tell the difference between part of the FF soundtrack and a song by One Republic. (Well, I suppose one would have words and the other... but I digress.)

It's my understanding that the annual Otakon meet-up is about Asian culture, not just anime. Sure, there are a lot of Otakorp members who are really only interested in things relating to anime, but is it really fair to try and limit Otakon to ONLY anime-related content? Ignoring the fact that there actually was anime created based on the FF franchise, you can't deny that since 1987 when the first FF game was released the FF franchise has expanded to the point of firmly integrating itself into Asian culture through novels, movies, manga, anime, and yes, music. Personally, I see no issues with the choice of a Final Fantasy music concert for Otakon. To me it seems like a perfect fit for Otakorp's stated mission.

Just my two cent's worth.

Edited by Fadamor

^ Sure there's nothing wrong with Otakon getting a Final Fantasy concert (that I won't be attending), but getting TWO is a bit much. They haven't announced any plans for additional concerts (which seems unlikely, as much as I'd love another Anisong World Matsuri) which is a shame considering this year is the 25th anniversary. But we'll see what happens. As of now, my friends & I have agreed this year will be our last Otakon due to the guests getting worse every year and less things going on, etc.

5 hours ago, Fadamor said:

Let me preface that I've never played any of the Final Fantasy (FF) games and therefore can't tell the difference between part of the FF soundtrack and a song by One Republic. (Well, I suppose one would have words and the other... but I digress.)

It's my understanding that the annual Otakon meet-up is about Asian culture, not just anime. Sure, there are a lot of Otakorp members who are really only interested in things relating to anime, but is it really fair to try and limit Otakon to ONLY anime-related content? Ignoring the fact that there actually was anime created based on the FF franchise, you can't deny that since 1987 when the first FF game was released the FF franchise has expanded to the point of firmly integrating itself into Asian culture through novels, movies, manga, anime, and yes, music. Personally, I see no issues with the choice of a Final Fantasy music concert for Otakon. To me it seems like a perfect fit for Otakorp's stated mission.

One, fine. Two? Excessive and unnecessary. All the standard concerts have now been filled by orchestra music, from a single IP at that. If your goal is to spread Asian culture, why would your spread include two orchestra concerts from a single IP?

As always, there will be folks who are loudly disappointed about specific guests that are announced , or specific guests they wanted that aren’t announced. Nobody gets everything they wanted. But....

I also look forward to watching many more people say “wow”. There are a few things in the hopper that will knock some socks off. Every year this plays through similarly.  Trust me, unless we hit some really unfortunate luck, there will be stuff worthy of the anniversary.

8 hours ago, razisgosu said:

If your goal is to spread Asian culture, why would your spread include two orchestra concerts from a single IP?

This is just a guess, but perhaps because there is the ability this year to purchase only a single-day badge? People not coming for all three days would have a better chance of attending the concert the day(s) they're there if the concert happened on more than one day. I also think that now that Otakorp has a better handle on the expenses involved with operating at the WEWCC, perhaps their historical 2-concert format might be expanded to 3 or more? Don't quote me on that, though, because I know nothing of Otakorp's actual plans.

I don't think banking on selling day passes is the way to do things. So if that's the strategy at play here, I'd call it a bad one.

Bringing up expenses and thinking more concerts might be the norm is interesting, because I've been looking at it for a few years now ever since attendance has continued to drop and the move to DC was coming up. Normally your plans revolve around attendance increasing and continuing to put on a bigger and better show year over year. But Otakon has had to deal with years of dropping attendance, and that's including moving to a larger con center in a location that likely costs more than renewing a contract with the BCC. (Obviously this is me talking out my behind because I don't know a darn thing about the logistics and dealings behind the scenes) From my perspective, I don't see how funds could be in a happy spot right now as far as expanding the show is concerned. But again I reiterate that I am without a doubt talking out my butt here. 

Anyways, I'll probably bow out for a while for guests to roll in, as I said prior my only reason to complain was lack of a concert that appealed to me and express my disappointment in it. If another concert is announced, or a "halftime" show at the masquerade (which has happened before) that I would be interested in attending, I'll happily change my stance.

On 4/1/2018 at 10:00 AM, Fadamor said:

Yeah, I think these shows do fit Otakon's mission. But so do cosplayers, dub voice actors, anime youtubers, web comic artists, etc etc... The main complaint is that this particular act is very accessible as they have toured America for over 10 years now? It's not something fans of Otakon has come to expect it to bring, because they've played at basically most of the major cons in the Northeast. Hardcore fans likely have already seen them multiple times in the States already. And it's taking up limited "slots" that Otakon has.

Of course until that AWM announcement or whatever this is going to get complaints. 

I can understand why some people aren't exactly interested in the Final Fantasy concerts.  While I am interested, having 2 of them does make it seem excessive.  Even though I am interested, I'm not too big of a Final Fantasy fan (I'm more of a casual fan).  Even so, I did bring up in a previous post on this thread that anime and video games are very synonymous with one another.  While even I also think having a J-pop/J-rock artist be the other musical guest would be good, I've got open enough mind to say yes to the orchestral concerts.  Because I'm sure you all know that music in anime IS more than just your favorite J-pop/J-rock artist singing an opening or ending to your favorite anime, right?  Not to cause an argument with anyone, of course, but trying to make a point is all.

And while I understand that Otakon is an event to teach people about east Asian culture, would anyone on the staff feel offended if I said that they come off as preachy with that?  As much as I understand what the con's mission with that is, at the same time, you guys are an event dedicated to the fans of the medium we all know and love.  No offense to anyone, but I feel it comes as a tad too preachy.

On 4/3/2018 at 12:33 PM, UzumakiWarlord said:

And while I understand that Otakon is an event to teach people about east Asian culture, would anyone on the staff feel offended if I said that they come off as preachy with that?  As much as I understand what the con's mission with that is, at the same time, you guys are an event dedicated to the fans of the medium we all know and love.  No offense to anyone, but I feel it comes as a tad too preachy.

Etou... Was that directed at my comments in this thread? I ask because I'm not on Otakorp Staff and I never have been. What I've typed on these boards since I first became a member has always been my thoughts only and I've never once attempted to speak for Otakorp. If you think I'm the one being a bit preachy, fair enough. Even I catch myself doing that from time to time.

I dont think I had the chance to say "wow" yet, so "woooowwwwww!"  I agree that not everyone likes the concerts they are offering for 2018, but it's still a major deal and I actually have some interest in learning more about these guys (I listen to classical & orchestral music on occasion).

Meanwhile, I'm hoping these new VISA requirements isn't going to mean less foreign guests.  I like it when there's a good balance between foreign & domestic, though it seems like one of my requests won't be fulfilled in 2018 (not complaining too much).

All that said, I'm going to file a late guest request:  If you can track down any former Industry heads from this side of the Pacific, I feel that could give Otakon goers a great perspective of just how far the business of anime has changed over just 25 years.

1 hour ago, Fadamor said:

Etou... Was that directed at my comments in this thread? I ask because I'm not on Otakorp Staff and I never have been. What I've typed on these boards since I first became a member has always been my thoughts only and I've never once attempted to speak for Otakorp. If you think I'm the one being a bit preachy, fair enough. Even I catch myself doing that from time to time.

No, no, I wasn't talking about you.  My last comment wasn't directed at anyone at all.  I actually meant some of the staff in general sometimes.  But hey, I do get where you're coming from, and apologize if I really made you feel that way.  Again, I don't want to cause a debate/argument with anyone.  I do want to be honest with what I say, but I guess there's fine line with how honest you can be.  Hope there's no hard feelings.

These are the following requests for guests. The top group are the people who has done voice acting in English, the middle one contains Japanese guests, and the bottom one are other guest requests.

English language Voice actors (anime industry mostly)

Cristina Vee (Sailor Mars, Homura Akemi, Nanoha Takamachi, Kotori Minami, and Marinette Dupain-Cheng & Ladybug)
Larissa Wolcott (Momoko Hanasaki & Wedding Peach, Emilia from Romeo x Juliet, and Itsue Aasu & Kotono Mitsuishi from Puni Puni Poemy)
Christine Marie Cabanos (Madoka Kaname, Squid Girl, Mako Mankanshoku, Yukiho Kousaka, and Hotaru Tomoe & Sailor Saturn & Mistress 9)
Monica Rial (Sakura Kinomoto from Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card, Helly Kitty from Hello Kitty's Animation Theater, Amy Yeager, Misao Shinohara, and Renge Houshakuji)
Luci Christian (Duck & Princess Tutu, Nami from One Piece, Mitsukuni "Honey" Haninozuka, Wrath & Psiren from Fullmetal Alchemist, and Mitsukuni "Honey" Haninozuka)
Mela Lee (Saint Tail, Rin Tohsaka, Rachel Alucard, Yuki Cross, and Tikki)
Bryce Papenbrook (Red from Pokemon Origins, Kirito, Bearmon & Coronmon, Kijin Shinokawa, and Adrien Agreste & Cat Noir)
Max Mittelman (Saitama, Soby form Doraemon, King from the Seven Deadly Sins, Yunan from Magi: The Kingdom of Magic, and Plagg)
Rachael Lillis (Utena Tenjou, Danny from Sonic X, Misty & Jessie & Jigglypuff, Princess Charlotte from Berserk, and Ryoko Miyazono)
Amanda Brown (Ichigo Momomiya and Mew Ichigo, Belinda Higgins from Magical DoReMi, Starlee Hambrath, Leo & Luna from Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's)
Julie Maddalena (Hikaru Shidou, Reese Arno, Sayaka Shinomiya, Yumi Omura, and Silvia from Mao-chan)
Wendee Lee (Umi Ryuuzaki and Princess Emeraude, BlackRose, Sayoko Uehara, Queen Serenity, and Saki Arima)
Bridget Hoffman (Fuu Hououji, Patamon, Inori Hiiragi & Yukari Takara, Raquel Casull, and Irisviel von Einzbern from Fate/Zero)
Colleen Clinkenbeard (Rachel Moore, Riza Hawkeye & Rose Thomas, Angela from Black Butler, Shima Takami, and Monkey D Luffy)

Japanese

Kanae Ito (Amu Hinamori, Yui from Sword Art Online, Mega-nee Akai from PriPara, Mito Takami, Ai Ebihara, and Supreme Kai of Time)
Sakura Tange (Sakura Kinomoto, Haruka Ono from The Irregular at Magic High School, Kasumi, Caeda/Shiida from Fire Emblem, and Violet Amaretto from Dog Days)
Kotono Mitsuishi (Sailor Moon, Maki Matsumoto, Tamako Nobi from Doraemon, Delusion Eucliwood, and Hitomi Tachikawa from Detective School Q)
Makiko Ohmoto (Yui Kasuga, Bone Demon, Makino & Tamanegi & Miss Monday, Mai Kirisaki from Super Yo-Yo, and Kirby & Rick & Hohhe from Kirby: Right Back at Ya!)
Miyuu Sawai (Noah from Fullmetal Alchemist: Conqueror of Shamballa, Reira/Layla from Black Cat, V form GR: Giant Robo, and Sailor Moon from Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon (live action))

Other Voice actors

Ashleigh Ball (Sanri Wakana, Yukari Hirai, Hansel Maki from Black Lagoon, Ayame Sarutobi from Gin Tama, and Applejack & Rainbow Dash)
Melissa Altro (Pippi Longstocking, Muffy Crosswire, and some cast of Supernoobs)
Eden Sher (Star Butterfly)
Cara Theobold (Overwatch character Tracer)

Artist

Kazha (if we have not yet had this artist for Otakon)

There is this amazing cosplayer called LMCosplays who is awesome at making cosplays and is a streamer on twitch adored by many for the way she can brighten up anyone's day just by being herself. Her most notable cosplay is Ruby Rose from RWBY. Her social media is LMCosplays on twitch, Labbinak on instagram, and Labbinak and Mangoloo Cosplays on facebook. 

Guest Guest Daniella

I would like if vixx came back. They have been getting more popular and I feel like they would have a good time at otakon. 

I'd  like to request Amouranth  be  a cosplay guest  this  year  at Otakon.  I  think  her situations  fits  the typical Otakon Guest  as mentioned in the  FAQ  post " rising  stars that are on the cusp of  hitting it big" 

Amouranth's   following  and online  presence  has grown  tremendously on twitch , twitter and youtube just over the past  9 to 10 months. She is  a perfect fit  and easy to work with for a con like Otakon!

Guest 606

I would love to see CDawgVA and/or J. Michael Tatum at Otakon this year. CDawgVA is an anime YouTuber who does voice impressions of characters like Sebastian Michaelis, Kyoya Ootori, Tsukiyama Shuu, Shizuo Heiwajima, and many more, and J. Michael Tatum is a voice actor who has been the english voice of characters such as Sebastian Michaelis, France from Hetalia, Erwin Smith, and Rei Ryuugazaki

I just wanted to say that I’ve never really played any FF games but I’m very happy that there will be two concerts. If there was just one, it wouldn’t be able to hold all of the people that would want to go. 

Then people would be upset they didn’t get to go to the concert. The Otakon staff are thinking about what all con goers would like to see! Plus it’s still early. There will be more announcements. I never thought that the only musical guest would be just the FF concert. 

Also I think I already made my request for this year but just in care could we get 

Bradio

Tomokazu Sugita

So this is more so my personal opinion regarding the dual FF concerts.

At first I also thought it was slightly odd that we'd have two competing FF concerts. But after reading into "A New World" it actually fits into the main event scheduling pretty well.

Hear me out.

So there is no question that Distant Worlds would both sell out and hit capacity. Having a concert that is not only directly affiliated with DW but allows the opportunity for the meet and greet as well on a Sunday when the schedule is much more flexible seems like a solid cushion for those that couldn't make the Fri.

I'm hoping we get another concert for Sat that's a bit different...but we'll see

For my requests:

English VAs:

Chris Patton: especially with FMP! Invisibly Victory probably airing into the Summer

Luci Christian: same reason as above.

Maile Flanagan: was so enjoyable years ago at her panel!

Travis Willingham and Laura Bailey: again, they were fantastic years ago and unforgettable.

Japanese Seiyuu:

Junko Takeuchi (has made a U.S. appearance before, and will be popular with Boruto currently airing)

Haruka Tomatsu (popular right now with Darling in the Franxx, as well as SAO's past connections with Otakon)

Music:

UVERWorld

Teddyloid (known for doing U.S. Conventions!)

GOT7 (technically KPop however there was also VIXX as a guests a few years ago)

DJs:

Hyper Potions!

They've been doing lots of cons lately, so I hope they are able to do the rave here too!

• Like 1

Hello!  I just found out about Otakon recently, and I am hoping to attend possibly this year and future years for sure!

My request for this year or for future years if not possible this year:

Seiyuu:

Onosaka Masaya 

Katsuyuki Konishi 

Yasumoto Hiroki 

On 5/15/2018 at 10:08 AM, L0velaura said:

I'd like to request Sungwon Cho - ProZD as a guest.

That would be cool. However, he will be a guest at a con the week before that, and another one the week before that, so I doubt he would want to take on another con.

12 hours ago, Potchari said:

That would be cool. However, he will be a guest at a con the week before that, and another one the week before that, so I doubt he would want to take on another con.

Well you never know, him and his wife are fans of otakon ;)

Would Otakon ever consider doing something like this:

http://www.anime-expo.org/2018/05/21/30-voice-actors-join-ax-2018-premium-autographs-area-talent-cons/

By this, I mean holding a comic-con-style autograph area where guests just come to sign. This is AX's second year doing this with Talent For Cons. They only bring their local LA talent though, which makes sense from a cost and logistics perspective. Talent For Cons also has some East Coast (New York) talent. Of course, it doesn't have to be with this particular agency.

They did a few years ago with the original Sailor Moon dub actresses and the person who played Zuko in Avatar so it is possible.

I personally prefer what they did last year where everyone has one session at least free but could get a booth and charge for autographs at other times, I feel that is a good compromise.

3 hours ago, mitamaking said:

They did a few years ago with the original Sailor Moon dub actresses and the person who played Zuko in Avatar so it is possible.

I personally prefer what they did last year where everyone has one session at least free but could get a booth and charge for autographs at other times, I feel that is a good compromise.

But those guests also took part in panels. AX's arrangement that I linked to is autographs-only, and the guests only interact with attendees in the autographs area. They go to AX, make money from signings, then leave. Now that Otakon has tons of space, I'm thinking that maybe this could be possible too.

Forgive me for bringing up such a topic on this thread everyone, but there was a certain question on my mind that I've been wanting to ask for quite a while, now:

What's the staff's general stance and attitude regarding guests who have gotten themselves in trouble with the law in some way?  And I'm not talking about like breaking traffic laws, or something minor like that.  I'm talking about more serious offenses like possession of illegal narcotics, or even more serious than that.

I ask because looking at the history of guests the con has had in the past, they have hosted one or two that did get into some legal trouble.  This also includes guests they came very close to having one or two times.  Like, there was one dub actor guest they hosted in 2010, and 2011 who did get convicted for a serious offense a few years after this person's 2nd time he was guest.  And for the sake of keeping things tame, and an attempt to ensure  nothing goes out of control with the question I'm asking, I will not be saying this person's name, nor the offense this person has committed, either.  But I'm sure some of you guys know who and what I'm talking about, and put two and two together.  There was also a mangaka guest you guys came close to having a couple of times, and even that person got in trouble for the same thing as the other person I mentioned.

Basically, when deciding to invite guests, do you guys run background checks on guests, or something?  Like making sure none of them are a convicted killer or sex offender?  And if you do, do you guys distance yourselves from said guest, and just not want anything to do with them?

Now again, I apologize for bringing this kind of topic with this VERY serious question.  But like I said, this was something that was on my mind for a while, and just wanted to know.  No intentions of causing a controversy.  I hope you all can understand that.

9 hours ago, UzumakiWarlord said:

Now again, I apologize for bringing this kind of topic with this VERY serious question.  But like I said, this was something that was on my mind for a while, and just wanted to know.  No intentions of causing a controversy.  I hope you all can understand that.

Here's the impressions (right or wrong) that I got from this post:

1. People making Guest Requests should do background investigations on the people they want to request before putting the request in the Otakon Guest Request thread that appears every year.
  2. People who were incarcerated (i.e Robert Downey Jr.), or were even only investigated for incarceration, should continue to be punished for the rest of their lives.
  3. In order to truly "avoid controversy", a question like this would have better been presented in a PM to staff rather than in the Guest Requests thread.
Edited by Fadamor
Moved Robert Downey Jr. because of the dangling participle.

I'd still love to have Nobuhiro Watsuki as a guest. Heck maybe he'll be a lot easier to get now :D

Otakon also got Aya Hirano as a guest after she tanked her career with her numerous scandals.