Jump to content
Jefferson

2017 AMV Theater Feedback

Recommended Posts

Jefferson    4

Some points on the AMV Theater/Programming Track this year...

1. I liked that the Friday and Saturday main contest screenings were in the Marquis Ballroom this year.

2. Friday's time for the contest was way too early for my liking (I know the way scheduling worked this couldn't be helped).

3. AMV Theater proved to be popular...almost too popular.  Every time I wandered by, the room was full at max capacity.  And this was a bigger room compared to the one used at the BCC.

For the most part...okay, but there's always room for improvement...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Scintilla    3

The new room is definitely an improvement, but now that we know that it is still capable of attracting capacity crowds, would it be possible to have reserved seating for the editors at the awards showing next year?

...And is there any way we can get the awards moved back to Iron Editor?  I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one to want this.

Marquis Ballroom was definitely nice, even if the screens felt a little smaller (no idea if they were).  Having three across meant that you could almost always see at least one of them properly even if someone was crossing in front of you to get in or out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TnAdct1    20
11 hours ago, Jefferson said:

2. Friday's time for the contest was way too early for my liking (I know the way scheduling worked this couldn't be helped).

While scheduling was indeed part of the problem (with me having to hold off my regular Friday Dealers Room trip, save for the purchase of this year's shirt, until after the contest), the other issue had to do with the convention only having two huge rooms that could hold the bigger events, and with the main Ballroom being used for the concerts and masquerade and the various special screenings happening over the weekend, the only real time to fit the contest was during early Friday afternoon. Personally, I wonder if next year the Dance Hall could be used for bigger events during the hours when the rave isn't happening.

9 hours ago, Scintilla said:

The new room is definitely an improvement, but now that we know that it is still capable of attracting capacity crowds, would it be possible to have reserved seating for the editors at the awards showing next year?

...And is there any way we can get the awards moved back to Iron Editor?  I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one to want this.

1. Yeah, it would be smart to include reserved seating during the contest results if a number of events at the AMV Theater end up reaching capacity crowds (i.e. Comedy Videos, Best of Baltimore, Awesomely Bad Japanese Music Videos).

2. Personally, I wonder if the reason for the move for the contest results was so that way people who didn't want to watch Iron Editor didn't have to stay for the whole show just to find out which videos won the contest and thus be able to do other things on Saturday night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cyanna    5
27 minutes ago, TnAdct1 said:

1. Yeah, it would be smart to include reserved seating during the contest results if a number of events at the AMV Theater end up reaching capacity crowds (i.e. Comedy Videos, Best of Baltimore, Awesomely Bad Japanese Music Videos).

 

Awesomely Bad JMVs (it was the only example you mentioned that I attended so I'm jumping on that) really doesn't need reserved seating for editors.  It has too much universal appeal and something about my being an editor giving me the advantage to see "non-editor content" doesn't really feel right.  No AMV editors made the content.  It doesn't even have to be in the AMV room since I'm pretty certain most people are there for the "awesomely bad" part than the "music videos" part.

Iron Editor and the Awards Show?  Yes, I would say that reserved seating is appropriate for those events and the reason it is not is prooooobably more an issue of logistics than anything else.  IE features our peers and the awards show honors them.  If the editing community wants to turn out for those specific events to support their peers, they should have the chance if it's possible.  But I don't feel right asking for the same privilege for "outside" programming.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kir44n    0

I will echo the concern with the size of the AMV theater. While the Washington Convention center does have more aggregate space than the BCC, some panels (though not as many) are still ending up in rooms far too small.

The "Best of Baltimore" AMV showing was a brilliant choice however, showcasing Best in Show AMV's for Otakon. Sure, these can be found through diligent amv.org searching, but it is not the same as at the con. This (in my opinion), should be a recurring event for a few years, chiefly because the sizing of the room meant a lot of people were turned away at the door and couldn't attend this year.

My chief issue with the AMV contest though...was with the opening. I've been attending Otakon for a huge period of time, and have attended the AMV contest every time. The short intro clip played to "Twilight" provoked a powerful sentimental response every time. The footage was old, grainy, and of the old venue, but throwing out everything of the old intro was unfortunate. Anecdotally, no one I spoke to liked the new intro. It lacked that special punch the old one had. Even if its just bringing the same audio back, something should be done to make the opening to the AMV contest epic once again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TnAdct1    20
23 hours ago, Cyanna said:

Awesomely Bad JMVs (it was the only example you mentioned that I attended so I'm jumping on that) really doesn't need reserved seating for editors.  It has too much universal appeal and something about my being an editor giving me the advantage to see "non-editor content" doesn't really feel right.  No AMV editors made the content.  It doesn't even have to be in the AMV room since I'm pretty certain most people are there for the "awesomely bad" part than the "music videos" part.

Awesomely Bad JMVs isn't one of those events that I was considering when it came to reserved seating (I was thinking more about anything contest related in terms of that element like the Contest Results and Iron Editor). Rather, I was giving that as an example of an event that can easily pack the AMV Theater to capacity crowds, thus providing support for the need of reserved seating for those events related to the AMV Contest.

As for having the event in a different room, I definitely agree with that, as that is usually a really popular panel at the various cons that I attend (with it being better suited in one of the bigger panel rooms than the AMV Theater).

Edited by TnAdct1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, kir44n said:

My chief issue with the AMV contest though...was with the opening. I've been attending Otakon for a huge period of time, and have attended the AMV contest every time. The short intro clip played to "Twilight" provoked a powerful sentimental response every time. The footage was old, grainy, and of the old venue, but throwing out everything of the old intro was unfortunate. Anecdotally, no one I spoke to liked the new intro. It lacked that special punch the old one had. Even if its just bringing the same audio back, something should be done to make the opening to the AMV contest epic once again.

Seconded.  The AMV Contest just doesn't feel quite right unless it begins with the playing of "Twilight".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BrakusJS    8

The "Twilight" intro originally took nine months to prepare, from pre-production to post-rendering. The "Baba O'Riley" intro from this year was good, but it was only done with three weeks' preparation. I'm pretty sure next year's intro should strive to be as majestic as the "Twilight" intro we had for 9 years (2008-2016). 

I know we are bandying about ideas as to when (and where) the AMV Contest Winners should happen. The timeslot takes into account that it happens after hotel checkout times. Yet, everybody who saw the contest (or who had some kind of horse in the race) wanted to know the results. AMV Theater might be in a different (maybe bigger) location next year, and taking the Contest Winners showing to a bigger room is a possibility, but we'll know more once we get around to next year's convention. I wonder if other AMV Theater staff has any additional comments to add....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×