otakuzod

Hotels 2018?

At the Closing Ceremonies it was stated that hotel info would be available "in the next couple of days", so you can start seriously monitoring Otakon's social media tomorrow.

Just a heads up, this may take a week or two this time around as we internally want to sit down and look at room block allocations and make some adjustments to how we set things up this year to improve how thing work next year.

7 hours ago, MattTheMinion said:

Just a heads up, this may take a week or two this time around as we internally want to sit down and look at room block allocations and make some adjustments to how we set things up this year to improve how thing work next year.

I'm all for taking the time to make adjustments.

I'm still riding my natural high from Otakon and have already marked the dates in my calendar for next year.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MattTheMinion said:

Fine tuning/tweaking is usually a good thing. Thanks for the heads up! ^_^

11 hours ago, MattTheMinion said:

Good to hear, how about a bigger block of rooms at the Marriott Marquis at a better price? I know this year the hotel sold out in seconds! I was lucky enough to have fast fingers, but I know a few were not so fast. :)

2 hours ago, Marajsky said:

Good to hear, how about a bigger block of rooms at the Marriott Marquis at a better price? I know this year the hotel sold out in seconds! I was lucky enough to have fast fingers, but I know a few were not so fast. :)

I don't think there is anything we can do about the price, between staff and members we already consume over 90% of the rooms in the hotel. However, we may look to shift where some staff are housed based on what's more efficient for us on the staff side - and that would of course free up more space in the Marriott for members. 

14 hours ago, MattTheMinion said:

Thanks for the heads up Matt!!

21 hours ago, MattTheMinion said:

I don't think there is anything we can do about the price, between staff and members we already consume over 90% of the rooms in the hotel. However, we may look to shift where some staff are housed based on what's more efficient for us on the staff side - and that would of course free up more space in the Marriott for members. 

This.  Most of the rates are locked in so we don't have as much control over that but we will keep you all updated as we work to get things together for 2018!

I'm keeping my eyes on the Marriott as my first choice and the Grand Hyatt as my second choice. I have zero issues booking directly at the hotel as that allows me to use another discount I'm able to get.

Anyone want to share what their estimated 2017 rates were? It might help with planning which hotel to try for, since we have so little time before they're sold out. My group stayed at the Marriott Marquis DC for about $213 a night without tax.

The Marquis is $150/night for Awesomecon. Did someone goof on negotiating prices lol You would figure with that many occupants they would offer a better discount...

• Confused 1

Yeah the costs of the Marquis were definitely higher than I was hoping for. I get it, but still praying as we stay there longer perhaps better deals will open up.

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 9:25 PM, Yuriko said:

The Marquis is $150/night for Awesomecon. Did someone goof on negotiating prices lol You would figure with that many occupants they would offer a better discount...

The only thing  I can think of is that Awesomecon has more leeway since it's a general comic/film/cartoon/everything convention with all sorts of stuff happening for everyone where as this is an anime convention. 

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 5:38 PM, grimacedia said:

Anyone want to share what their estimated 2017 rates were? It might help with planning which hotel to try for, since we have so little time before they're sold out. My group stayed at the Marriott Marquis DC for about $213 a night without tax.

I'm guessing around $180-240 from what I remember when reservations were up. My hotel was around $200 a night and was like a 5-10 minute walking distance to the convention, I'd expect hotels that are further from the place to go for a cheaper price. 

5 hours ago, Lum1n3s said:

I'd expect hotels that are further from the place to go for a cheaper price. 

Eh, not really the case here. It's DC, anywhere that's a touristy location in the city is going to be pricey. It's less about distance and more about location.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lum1n3s said:

The only thing  I can think of is that Awesomecon has more leeway since it's a general comic/film/cartoon/everything convention with all sorts of stuff happening for everyone where as this is an anime convention.

Another possibility: Otakon is happening during the busier months of the summer (i.e. when more people are on vacation), and as such, hotels are more expensive during this time to get more profit from the tourists visiting the DC area.

Edited by TnAdct1
  • Like 1

So after reading the hotels review thread, I'm wondering which would be best: Marriott or Renaissance

Pros of Marriott:

• Connected, which comes with all the conveniences that affords
  • Hub of activity where you will likely see the craziest cosplays frequently
  • THE con hotel. For a 100% completionist this is important for the full effect

Pros of Renaissance:

• Quieter, less paper thin walls
  • Still super close
  • Appears to embrace the con more than the official hotel does

Thoughts?

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 9:25 PM, Yuriko said:

Awesomecon is before the Tourist season more or less. Unless there is a very early spring the cherry blossoms will not have bloomed and its still cold and clammy in DC.

• Like 1

FYI, the Marriott Marquis is now taking reservations for the dates of Otakon 2018.  We have ours.  I usually think if this as an "insurance reservation" that can be cancelled if I don't get trampled in the 5-minute stampede when the Convention rooms open up.  However, using the American Auto Club (AAA) rate, it was not that much more expensive than the last convention rate, guarantees an Atrium view room (as opposed to a construction view room), and takes requests like "high floor", so there is some added value for the extra cost.

I might sit out the Convention room stampede this year, one more room available for someone else.

Edited by shadowspawn
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, shadowspawn said:

FYI, the Marriott Marquis is now taking reservations for the dates of Otakon 2018.  We have ours.  I usually think if this as an "insurance reservation" that can be cancelled if I don't get trampled in the 5-minute stampede when the Convention rooms open up.  However, using the American Auto Club (AAA) rate, it was not that much more expensive than the last convention rate, guarantees an Atrium view room (as opposed to a construction view room), and takes requests like "high floor", so there is some added value for the extra cost.

I might sit out the Convention room stampede this year, one more room available for someone else.

That is true, however when wanted to book I notice that it was about $80 more a night than Otakon does. Also, do they charge your card if you book though their website right now or is it like Otakon where you don't pay anything until check in time? As my credit card is a bit short on funds due to Otakon.

4 hours ago, Konacha said:

That is true, however when wanted to book I notice that it was about $80 more a night than Otakon does. Also, do they charge your card if you book though their website right now or is it like Otakon where you don't pay anything until check in time? As my credit card is a bit short on funds due to Otakon.

They don't charge your card in advance.  Cancellable.  Standard good hotel stuff.

As far as the price, I booked the AAA rate (I've been a member of AAA for years, because I like being able to call for their services if my car has a hissy-fit, plus all the hotel discounts that I get booking AAA rates way more than pays for the membership fee).  Marquis only require you to show your AAA card at check-in (so, theoretically, a person could book now at the AAA rate, and then join AAA next July).

In this case, the AAA rate is almost $50 less per night than the normal rate, so it was a no-brainer to grab it.  And yes, the Marquis is at least $80 more per night than the last convention if you pay the normal rate.

Note that hotel prices fluctuate weirdly, based on the algorithms and phase-of-the-moon that they use to price their inventory, so anything I say here might not be valid for more than a day...

Has anyone heard anything about hotels/rooms for 2018? I don't have accounts on all social media platforms but I do try to check here daily; I just don't want to miss anything. ^_^ Earlier in this thread, I did read they were evaluating the room blocks (etc.), which is great! I look forward to learning about the tweaks. But my anal-retentive-planning self is mildly uncomfortable that I don't have a room booked and it's already Aug 31. :lol: My full-time job is primarily event planning so I'm very used to feeling this way HAHA - but that doesn't mean I still like it! :P

Yeah it's going slower than we hoped, as one of our key hotel contacts went on vacation last week. 

Most of the room block allocations are for where we put staff and guests and the like, so you guys won't notice much of a difference - although it may open up more rooms in some hotels. 

When we are ready to announce it we plan to give you some lead time to be ready.

I made a reservation at a hotel that offered a government employee rate that was pretty good. Will see if the Otakon block offers anything better though.

40 minutes ago, windseeker said:

I made a reservation at a hotel that offered a government employee rate that was pretty good. Will see if the Otakon block offers anything better though.

Er, I believe you need a government travel order to get those rates when you arrive at the hotel?  For an office job, I used to do the reservations and paperwork (tons o' forms) for my bosses' travels.  When making the hotel reservations you didn't need to have the travel order, but when the bosses arrived at the hotel, they said sometimes the hotel clerks ask to see the travel order, and sometimes they don't.

Could you please double-check the rules with the hotel about those rates to see if you need a travel order?  I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I wouldn't want you to get in trouble.

Edited by EdKitten

13 hours ago, EdKitten said:

Er, I believe you need a government travel order to get those rates when you arrive at the hotel? 

It depends on the hotel. They vary wildly.  I've gotten the Government rate at some hotels just by showing my CAC Card, even on weekends, and government contractors were fine (e.g. Wyndham).  Others are more strict;  Marriott, for example, excludes government contractors.

Generally, on the hotel web site there will be a "Rate Details" clickable link next to the rate, which will usually pop up something that details the requirements.

Same with the auto club rates.  Some hotels won't book the reservation unless you input your AAA member number with the reservation.  Others (Marriott Marquis) just want to see a card when you check in.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, EdKitten said:

Er, I believe you need a government travel order to get those rates when you arrive at the hotel?  For an office job, I used to do the reservations and paperwork (tons o' forms) for my bosses' travels.  When making the hotel reservations you didn't need to have the travel order, but when the bosses arrived at the hotel, they said sometimes the hotel clerks ask to see the travel order, and sometimes they don't.

Could you please double-check the rules with the hotel about those rates to see if you need a travel order?  I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I wouldn't want you to get in trouble.

Already checked before I made the reservation since that's what I thought too. But they told me travel wasn't required, only an ID to confirm.

Edited by windseeker
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, shadowspawn said:

It depends on the hotel. They vary wildly.  I've gotten the Government rate at some hotels just by showing my CAC Card, even on weekends, and government contractors were fine (e.g. Wyndham).  Others are more strict;  Marriott, for example, excludes government contractors.

Generally, on the hotel web site there will be a "Rate Details" clickable link next to the rate, which will usually pop up something that details the requirements.

Same with the auto club rates.  Some hotels won't book the reservation unless you input your AAA member number with the reservation.  Others (Marriott Marquis) just want to see a card when you check in.

14 hours ago, windseeker said:

Already checked before I made the reservation since that's what I thought too. But they told me travel wasn't required, only an ID to confirm.

Wow -- Thanks for all the info!  I didn't realize these things.  Windseeker, that's probably a great rate you got, especially if that's the hotel you decide on!

Can't wait for Otakon 2018!

Edited by EdKitten

Was just wondering if there was any updates for this week concerning the hotels. Thanks in advance! 

Was just wondering if there was any updates for this week concerning the hotels. Thanks in advance! 
Nothing on my end, just keep an eye out for their Facebook/main website to stay updated

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Lum1n3s said:

Nothing on my end, just keep an eye out for their Facebook/main website to stay updated

I suspect the crashing of the internet will be a likely indication the hotel release date has been announced.

^_^

For the record it is still being worked on, as negotiating changes between several hotels takes time. 

On the bright side this should mean more rooms closer to the convention center for the initial opening. 

Again, when this opens it is not planned to be a surprise.

4 hours ago, MattTheMinion said:

For the record it is still being worked on, as negotiating changes between several hotels takes time. 

On the bright side this should mean more rooms closer to the convention center for the initial opening. 

Again, when this opens it is not planned to be a surprise.

I do miss the drama of when it used to be a surprise.  Having to compulsively check the web site frequently.  And then some groups would reverse engineer the previous years' URL and break in to get reservations days before it was announced.

Oh, wait, actually I don't miss that at all...

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, otakuzod said:

We're cruising through October pretty quickly.  Is there any news out there?  Any closer to a hotel release date?

Patience.

• Like 1

All of our patience is spent in lines.
Lol but that's during the convention, you have time to build up more patience.

Has it ever taken this long to announce hotels? I've been to 10 Otakons so far and can't recall it being so long before.

6 minutes ago, MattTheMinion said:

It probably hasn't, but that's part of the "fun" of negotiations with hotels in a new space.

Thanks for the hard work, the only downside of the move to DC was the increase in hotel pricing across the board.  Hopefully these negotiations will keep those rates steady for the next few years!

On 10/13/2017 at 9:38 AM, MattTheMinion said:

It probably hasn't, but that's part of the "fun" of negotiations with hotels in a new space.

I figured that might be the issue, but given how many people have booked already, I can't help but wonder if that will hurt attempts to get better rates...

I figured that might be the issue, but given how many people have booked already, I can't help but wonder if that will hurt attempts to get better rates...
Seriously. I've checked the hotel I stayed at last time out of curiosity and the dates have been sold out. No luck for other surrounding hotels, either...

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Hi Everyone :-)  I can assure you that the Hotel team is working quickly to try and get things set to open.  There are a few things that need to be taken care of, before we can make this happen, but we have been working as diligently as possible as we know you're ready and waiting.  We sincerely appreciate your patience and we are really close to keep an eye out for announcements!  Some of the blocks may currently be showing as "sold out" because they have not been opened for sale. 

Thank you and we look forward to seeing you at Otakon, 2018!!!