Jump to content
lL0tus

Number of attendees?

Recommended Posts

lL0tus    1

Any word on the number of participants for Otakon 2017 as of yet?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OtakuCop    26

This information is not yet available.  Don't worry, once all counts are completed we will let everyone know.  However, that may not be until this weekend sometime.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I say it's safe to estimate between 25000 and 35000 people attended this year. We shall await the official numbers later.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd guess that it's easily AT LEAST 25-27,000. For its first year in DC and with it having had moved that'd be an excellent number. if we indeed had 30k+ it didn't feel like it thanks to the vastness of the WEWCC.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Msprintz    5

I'd go a little lower, thinking somewhere around 22,000-24,000 or thereabouts.  Which all things considered in the move for 2017 probably isn't bad.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a minimum of 20k pre-reg, so include locals and last minute congoers, a few randoms, probably doesnt add up to more than a couple thousand, I would be shocked if we reached more than 25k.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cant think of a name said:

honestly i think its gonna be around 23 to 26000 because the at door badges were colored differently.  i saw ALOT of different colored badges from mine i had mailed to me.

It seemed like all the mailed badged were red. Mine was blue, I missed the mailing date and picked up on Thursday before the start of the con. Those are the only two colors I saw really, minus the green dealer badges. I think the door badges were the same blue color so it would be hard to tell who bought ahead or at the door day of. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lum1n3s    49

Great thing about the numbers of this convention (which I know has to be up to 25,000 or more) was that it didn't feel cramped at all. The experience was phenomenal and is something that I thoroughly enjoyed so I'm glad Otakon went with DC for future events.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Revengel    19
12 hours ago, Lum1n3s said:

Great thing about the numbers of this convention (which I know has to be up to 25,000 or more) was that it didn't feel cramped at all. The experience was phenomenal and is something that I thoroughly enjoyed so I'm glad Otakon went with DC for future events.

I'd insert an Amen gif if the rules allowed . . .

I'll guess 27,594. We have a TON of room to expand and it's great to have everything *all in one place again.*

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RenjiNatsu    9

I watched a vlog about Bronycon because I was curious and they said that they had a little over 6500

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Krabstarr    30
1 hour ago, RenjiNatsu said:

I watched a vlog about Bronycon because I was curious and they said that they had a little over 6500
 

The official count for BronyCon, according to their Twitter account, was 6,319. That's about a 17% drop from last year.

Edited by Krabstarr
corrrect spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AnimeKen    25
2 minutes ago, Krabstarr said:

The official count for BronyCon, according to their Twitter account, was 6,319. That's about a 17% drop from last year.

I don't know anything about the brony fandom, but is it possible "bronyism" is dying off?

A 17% drop sounds pretty serious 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Krabstarr    30
14 minutes ago, AnimeKen said:

I don't know anything about the brony fandom, but is it possible "bronyism" is dying off?

A 17% drop sounds pretty serious 

It's possible. BronyCon peaked at 10,011 in 2015 and has gone down incrementally since. The current show started in 2010, so it doesn't have the freshness that it did in past years. Also, there is probably a non-zero percent chance that some people who would have gone to BronyCon went to Otakon instead since they were the same weekend.

Edited by Krabstarr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MoF    7
25 minutes ago, Krabstarr said:

The official count for BronyCon, according to their Twitter account, was 6,319. That's about a 17% drop from last year.

Did they move venues too? 

That almost sounds like what could be a baseline attendance drop for a new venue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AnimeKen    25
1 minute ago, Krabstarr said:

Also, there is probably a non-zero percent chance that some people who would have gone to BronyCon went to Otakon instead since they were the same weekend.

I think you may be right

It's funny because some people were thinking there might be less people at Otakon because they might have gone to BronyCon instead 

Guess we'll see next year how the numbers shake out 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Krabstarr    30
12 minutes ago, MoF said:

Did they move venues too? 

That almost sounds like what could be a baseline attendance drop for a new venue. 

No, they moved to Baltimore Convention Center in 2013 and have been there since. When they moved to BCC in 2013 from Secaucus, New Jersey, they more than doubled their previous attendance from the previous year. But that was when the fandom was in full swing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TnAdct1    20
7 hours ago, Krabstarr said:

Also, there is probably a non-zero percent chance that some people who would have gone to BronyCon went to Otakon instead since they were the same weekend.

As someone who has attended Bronycon in the past, I definitely agree with that (heck, I've seen some Bronycon cosplayers turn up the following week at Otakon back when the con moved to Baltimore). To me, Bronycon is more of a con that I'd go on a Saturday, whereas Otakon is one where, even if I live very close to the DC area, I'd still book a hotel by the convention center and devote my weekend to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AnimeKen    25
Just now, RenjiNatsu said:

They also said that Bronycon will start to allow non pony content.

Guess if bronyism is dying, anything to stay solvent 

If attendance keeps dropping off like it did this past year, they may not be able to continue for long unless they do something

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fadamor    45
4 hours ago, AnimeKen said:

Guess if bronyism is dying, anything to stay solvent 

If attendance keeps dropping off like it did this past year, they may not be able to continue for long unless they do something

Switch from ponies to fidgit spinners? ^_^

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bronycon and Otakon were on the same weekend which has never happened before looking at the wiki articles. So, that may have impacted both convention's numbers. I could actually see the floor of the Charles Street Lobby since ABC 7 News was covering it for some reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AnimeKen    25
19 minutes ago, ChaosFinaleX said:

Bronycon and Otakon were on the same weekend which has never happened before looking at the wiki articles. So, that may have impacted both convention's numbers. I could actually see the floor of the Charles Street Lobby since ABC 7 News was covering it for some reason.

That's probably because they've never had the BCC available the same weekend as Otakon before 

I actually wonder if BronyCon really put a noticeable dent in Otakon's numbers though

Sure there may have been some who chose Brony over Otakon, but enough to make a noticeable diffence?

Personally I doubt it

And if BronyCon keeps loosing attendance at the rate it did this year, it may not even be a potential issue for much longer anyway 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, AnimeKen said:

That's probably because they've never had the BCC available the same weekend as Otakon before 

I actually wonder if BronyCon really put a noticeable dent in Otakon's numbers though

Sure there may have been some who chose Brony over Otakon, but enough to make a noticeable diffence?

Personally I doubt it

And if BronyCon keeps loosing attendance at the rate it did this year, it may not even be a potential issue for much longer anyway 

True. Otakon is centered around Japanese Culture and Anime, while Bronycon was created to celebrate the fandom that is My Little Pony.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AnimeKen    25
Just now, ChaosFinaleX said:

True. Otakon is centered around Japanese Culture and Anime, while Bronycon was created to celebrate the fandom that is My Little Pony.

Not really sure what you were trying to say there

There's a lot of cross pollination when it comes to those two fandoms 

I know for a fact there are many Otakon attendees who also attend BronyCon, so this year it was a decision as to which they did since obviously they can't be at two places at once 

But a 17% attendance decline at BronyCon says maybe many chose Otakon 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Noel    14

Time to bring in the Steven Universe fans

Sent from my YP-G70 using Tapatalk 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We do have something together, just working on coordinating the announcement and such. 

Should be released soon. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MattTheMinion said:

We do have something together, just working on coordinating the announcement and such. 

Should be released soon. 

 

w00t

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
robotzor    2
On 8/18/2017 at 11:55 PM, AnimeKen said:

Guess if bronyism is dying, anything to stay solvent 

If attendance keeps dropping off like it did this past year, they may not be able to continue for long unless they do something

Check their panel list. It's a graveyard.

They need some kind of content, badly, and it ain't coming from horses, y'all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AnimeKen    25
Just now, robotzor said:

Check their panel list. It's a graveyard.

They need some kind of content, badly, and it ain't coming from horses, y'all

Horsey Time is clearly coming to a close 

I will say though, love them or hate them, the Brony fandom should be commended for managing to keep the con and the fandom itself going for nearly a decade 

It could easily have just been one of those flash in the pan fandoms that burned out and fell apart fast 

I certainly wouldn't have thought we'd still be taking about Brony in 2017, yet here we are 

I'm wondering if maybe Steven Universe is the answer 

A co-fandom covenetion might be the the way to keep it alive of the multicolored equine aren't bringing them in like it used to

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KyoKyo    14

I'm glad that the MLP content at Otakon has been kept to a minimum. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AnimeKen    25
8 minutes ago, KyoKyo said:

I'm glad that the MLP content at Otakon has been kept to a minimum. 

I agree 

I do remember when it was at its peak of popularity it was somewhat present, but I'm glad once Bronycon became more established they migrated more to there   

That said, I think a panel on the Japanese MLP fandom might be interesting 

Seeing how it's been filtered through the Japanese lense could be intriguing 

That way it could actually fit under the "Japanese culture" umbrella 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
alabaster    0
2 hours ago, AnimeKen said:

I agree 

I do remember when it was at its peak of popularity it was somewhat present, but I'm glad once Bronycon became more established they migrated more to there   

That said, I think a panel on the Japanese MLP fandom might be interesting 

Seeing how it's been filtered through the Japanese lense could be intriguing 

That way it could actually fit under the "Japanese culture" umbrella 

there are tons of ways to compare MLP to Sailor Moon, for a start. Tons of relevant panel ideas that can show the influence of anime on western cartoons like MLP, Steven Universe, Adventure Time, etc.

tons of ways to address Asian culture as represented in western media, from Doctor Who to Lord of the Rings to Teen Titans. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AnimeKen    25
8 minutes ago, alabaster said:

there are tons of ways to compare MLP to Sailor Moon, for a start. Tons of relevant panel ideas that can show the influence of anime on western cartoons like MLP, Steven Universe, Adventure Time, etc.

tons of ways to address Asian culture as represented in western media, from Doctor Who to Lord of the Rings to Teen Titans. 

 

I think those would be very interesting 

I wasn't trying to imply MLP content "didn't belong" at Otakon

As you correctly point out, there is a litany of content that could fit right into the mission statement, potential panelist have to just put in a bit of work into the presentation of it 

I mean there were literal anime references in the show itself

6F316264-E832-4E8A-B135-B67E5BCCB307-39301-00002BAC7F898799_tmp.png

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Krabstarr    30
On 8/21/2017 at 5:44 PM, MattTheMinion said:

We do have something together, just working on coordinating the announcement and such. 

Should be released soon.

Is it "Soon" yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless something pops up to hinder it, this will be going out on several channels tomorrow. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Revengel    19
22 hours ago, MattTheMinion said:

Unless something pops up to hinder it, this will be going out on several channels tomorrow. 

 

Is it tomorrow yet?

^_~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Revengel said:

Is it tomorrow yet?

^_~

I believe the question you really wanted to ask was "When will then be now?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CocoFaerie    28

per FB post:  24,894!?!?  That's notably less that I imagined!

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/17/2017 at 1:27 PM, strifycyberlox said:

There was a minimum of 20k pre-reg, so include locals and last minute congoers, a few randoms, probably doesnt add up to more than a couple thousand, I would be shocked if we reached more than 25k.

Called it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Msprintz    5
47 minutes ago, CocoFaerie said:

per FB post:  24,894!?!?  That's notably less that I imagined!

Pretty close to where I thought it would be.  Not bad considering the move to a new venue.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fadamor    45

It's a good starting point that we can build on now that there is space to do so. 頑張ってください!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×