Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aresef

TMR will be at the cherry blossom festival opening in DC

http://www.nationalcherryblossomfestival.org/opening-ceremony/

Joined by Akiko Yano, The 6821 Quintet, Shodo Girls (from a Fukuoka high school) and a DC-area taiko group.

NYC-based Kana Uemura will perform on 4/18. Performers for Sakura Matsuri haven't yet been announced.

I am really bummed that I will be otherwise occupied this time around.   Hard to believe we've known each other for 15 years -- I was his driver back in 2003. Mind you he looks maybe half my age, and I think I've only got a few months on him. :)

I know you all think that hanging with guests is my main job, but actually having some downtime to chat?  That's super rare, and usually managed only over guest dinners unless you're handling the guest directly *and* they feel chatty.

I believe he'll be hosting a live showing of some anime or other, too. His english is considerably better than it used to be, and he's a friendly guy. Probably worth going to that!

5 hours ago, alabaster said:

I am really bummed that I will be otherwise occupied this time around.   Hard to believe we've known each other for 15 years -- I was his driver back in 2003. Mind you he looks maybe half my age, and I think I've only got a few months on him. :)

I know you all think that hanging with guests is my main job, but actually having some downtime to chat?  That's super rare, and usually managed only over guest dinners unless you're handling the guest directly *and* they feel chatty.

I believe he'll be hosting a live showing of some anime or other, too. His english is considerably better than it used to be, and he's a friendly guy. Probably worth going to that!

Yes, Gundam SEED.

https://www.facebook.com/events/2006091596085936/

I have fond memories of seeing Satoshi Kon speak before an Otakorp-sponsored screening of Paprika many years ago. He is so missed.

On 2/27/2018 at 9:26 PM, Aresef said:

Yes, Gundam SEED.

https://www.facebook.com/events/2006091596085936/

I have fond memories of seeing Satoshi Kon speak before an Otakorp-sponsored screening of Paprika many years ago. He is so missed.

Because he's in SEED, if memory serves. (bites into green bell pepper)

As for Kon...yeah, a few of us staff raced down there after a staff meeting ran late, because we'd explicitly had seats held for us. We parked the car and ran across the mall to get to the screening mere moments before they let us in.  Kon and Maruyama were there already, and Tom, our Smithsonian contact, plus the Sony rep.  I remember the slightly demented glee of Kon's suggestion that we all "hang on, it's a roller coaster", and Maruyama's pride in both the film and the audience's response.  I have one of the posters on my wall, and our friend Maile, ended up with a signed one!