Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TnAdct1

Cheaper Badges for 2018

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, I'm going to bring it up here.

While at Katsucon, I did notice Otakon doing some at-con registration here. One of the big things that came out of this: cheaper badges will be offered this year.

How it works is like this: outside of Sunday, Day Badges are not being offered. Rather, there's going to be three tiers of badges:

1. The regular badge, which will be offered at regular price;
  2. The Saturday and Sunday badge, which will be $70;
  3. The Sunday only badge, which will be $40.

This is likely going to be good news for those who only plan to attend on either Saturday or Sunday and don't want to pay the full price for just one day.

I think otakon did away with day badges 

Scratch that it's on the otakon site under registration my bad!

Technically, we still don't sell "day badges" (as those would be like 'tickets', which would potentially incur IRS taxes).  After research, we have determined that we can give you all what essentially is a prorated membership options so you can still attend the annual membership meeting (ie Otakon).  ;)  With the change from Balt to DC it left too many uncertainties that we couldn't implement this sooner.  But again, you all spoke and we listened and finally found a way to make it work for you!

I'll be curious about the details on this, which I'm sure will be talked about at the 'State of Otakorp' panel this year.

On the one hand, I'm glad this will mean more people attending the con. It can only help in keeping it going strong. On the other hand, more people will be a personal inconvenience to me, so I am against that. (I'm a very selfish, lazy man. :P)

10 hours ago, robotzor said:

Possible to prorate that membership for Friday and Saturday? The Sunday meeting is usually pretty lame. 

Not at this time, but perhaps in the future. We want to see what the general interest is with these options first before we branch out.

How many membership renewals were there last year? How many are projected to be renewals this year? Just trying to get a sense of how much Otakon stands to gain by not extending the renewal discount this year. Is that to help offset a potential decrease in income due to Saturday/Sunday and Sunday now being available at a reduced rate?

Typically we would get around 1/4 to 1/3 of folks registering using the renewal discount. Note that we actually have more folks who could be renewing, but more than I would have expected just created a new account and left the discount on the table. This practice has been pretty consistent year to year, and while the $5 incentive was helpful in reducing duplicates in our records, it wasn't quite the solution we were hoping for.

Since it wasn't completely effective, the discount was indeed removed to help offset the lower rates for the trial memberships. If you do some back of the envelope math and assume there were roughly 6,000 renewals last year, that leads to an estimated increase $30,000. Which would then offset the income loss from 1,000 Sat+Sun memberships as they are $30 less than the full weekend rate.  Obviously as this is our first year doing this there is going to be some guesstimates made that will need corrected as we go.

Thanks, as always, for the detailed response. It's always nice to hear the reasoning behind decisions made which affect me as a member.

Does this mean there is no return con go-er discount?   I thought that had been a thing....(other than early reg. obviously)

On 3/2/2018 at 6:42 PM, CaiaWar said:

Does this mean there is no return con go-er discount?   I thought that had been a thing....(other than early reg. obviously)

Yes, the $5 discount we had offered before for returning members has gone away. 

Ugh wish there was a Friday and Saturday option. I don't get the Sunday only decision at all. What options are there for people who just want to show up on Friday, now? Last year my brother wanted to attend but when he saw that it was $100 at the door just for 1 day he stayed home. You guys are losing more money that way tbh. 

9 hours ago, Takeva said:

Ugh wish there was a Friday and Saturday option. I don't get the Sunday only decision at all. What options are there for people who just want to show up on Friday, now? Last year my brother wanted to attend but when he saw that it was $100 at the door just for 1 day he stayed home. You guys are losing more money that way tbh. 

If they did a Friday/Saturday only option, that would make Otakon a ticketed event, which would incur the wrath of the IRS upon ALL sales, theoretically. My guess is that no where near enough people would show up to offset how much they would theoretically have to pay in taxes by making that change or the potential loss of of sales due to what would effectively be raising the "ticket" price.

7 hours ago, Hainiryuun said:

If they did a Friday/Saturday only option, that would make Otakon a ticketed event, which would incur the wrath of the IRS upon ALL sales, theoretically. My guess is that no where near enough people would show up to offset how much they would theoretically have to pay in taxes by making that change or the potential loss of of sales due to what would effectively be raising the "ticket" price.

Are you talking about selling badges at the door for single days? If so, then I understand that. 

What about having a Friday and Saturday only badge as an option like they do for Saturday and Sunday?

You are buying a membership not a badge so if they did a Fri sat as the other person said it wouldn't be a membership I'm taking it and then everything gets changed

2 hours ago, Kewshi said:

You are buying a membership not a badge so if they did a Fri sat as the other person said it wouldn't be a membership I'm taking it and then everything gets changed

Okay I'm so confused. Why is having Friday and Saturday going to mess everything up but the Saturday and Sunday choice is perfectly fine?

I'm only speculating

Totally understandable how from the outside it seems a bit crazy.  Some of it involves the bylaws of the organization and how memberships are structured.  Bylaws can be changed to make all sorts of things possible, but for this year (and since it's a bit of a change for how things have been done recently), this way didn't require big changes.

So you're purchasing a discounted membership on Sat / Sun.  Since there are less days remaining for your membership to be valid, there's less "value" there, so we can discount that rate.  We don't (currently) have a membership option that would allow you to purchase on Friday and no longer be a member on Saturday.

So membership has to end on a Sunday?  As long as Sunday is involved the status of being a member will stand. Thats how I'm understanding it. Sorry if it feels like I'm being difficult. 

Well it's slightly more complicated than that. Membership actually ends on January 31st. 

What we are currently doing is pro-rating the price by when a membership starts.  So if you buy a membership online right now,  you are a member from the point of purchase until Jan. 31, 2019. When you buy a membership that grants you access to Otakon on Sat+Sun, or just Sun, your membership starts on Aug 11th or 12th respectively, and ends on Jan 31, 2019.