Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EdKitten

Insurance For Non-Refundable Tickets?

Question

Saw on one of Awesome Con's registration pages, you can get insurance for non-refundable tickets for $9.82, if you can't make it to the convention for certain reasons.  The company's name is Ticket Guardian.  I've never seen this before and haven't looked up any reviews on them yet.  But seems worth it, as long as they don't hassle you about making claims.

url:  ticketguardian.net/standard-protection-tc

Do you think the Otakon Gods might wish to consider this for attendees in the future?  :)

4 answers to this question

So in short, you are asking if we'd consider adding an option fee that if paid at the time of registration would allow an unconditional refund on request?

We'd have to think about the limitations involved with doing something like this, but it could be worth considering.

21 hours ago, MattTheMinion said:

So in short, you are asking if we'd consider adding an option fee that if paid at the time of registration would allow an unconditional refund on request?

We'd have to think about the limitations involved with doing something like this, but it could be worth considering.

Hi Matt!  Yeah, I'd never seen any insurance for stuff like this, before last Thursday.  But not sure if enough people would be interested in it.  And am not sure of the exact coverage that people would have (I haven't read all the "fine print" at TicketGuardian's webpage).

I'm not staff and don't speak for Otakon, but I think it might be tough for them to do one of these things themselves since they offer legally distinct memberships and not tickets (unlike Awesomecon, where they are tickets and some is paid to the tax man).

Consider getting travel insurance. If you have to bug out for a covered reason (beyond "I can't afford to go anymore"). Per Allianz (a major provider), they'll cover non-refundable expenses for things like sudden medical emergencies, airliner bankruptcy, your layoff, terrorist incidents and jury duty.

I had several seizures in a row during a convention out in LA a few years ago and missed basically all of it. If I had had travel insurance then, my badge may or may not have been covered (since I did technically enter the event), but my hospital bill certainly would have been. BUT if I had known I were epileptic going in and simply didn't take my meds that day and did have travel insurance, the insurer would theoretically be within their rights to say "Well, what did you expect to happen?" I am not an actuary, an insurance agent or a travel agent. Talk to one.

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 9:09 AM, Aresef said:

I'm not staff and don't speak for Otakon, but I think it might be tough for them to do one of these things themselves since they offer legally distinct memberships and not tickets (unlike Awesomecon, where they are tickets and some is paid to the tax man).

Consider getting travel insurance. If you have to bug out for a covered reason (beyond "I can't afford to go anymore"). Per Allianz (a major provider), they'll cover non-refundable expenses for things like sudden medical emergencies, airliner bankruptcy, your layoff, terrorist incidents and jury duty.

I had several seizures in a row during a convention out in LA a few years ago and missed basically all of it. If I had had travel insurance then, my badge may or may not have been covered (since I did technically enter the event), but my hospital bill certainly would have been. BUT if I had known I were epileptic going in and simply didn't take my meds that day and did have travel insurance, the insurer would theoretically be within their rights to say "Well, what did you expect to happen?" I am not an actuary, an insurance agent or a travel agent. Talk to one.

Sorry to read that you have seizures.  And missed so much of the LA convention.  :( 

You make some excellent points!  Especially "memberships" versus "tickets" -- hadn't thought of those.  With all the loop-holes insurance companies use (that I've heard of, or read about), maybe insurance isn't such a great thing after all for conventions.