Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DDR BIG C

Is there a chance that otakon could come back home to Baltimore?

Question

Is there a chance that Otakon could return HOME to Baltimore, MD? I really miss it in Baltimore and up until 2016, that was my home convention until 2017. So many memories.

7 answers to this question

--not staff, don't speak for Otakon--

Theoretically, yes. Practically, no. The political will and money to support a convention the size of Otakon and its future growth, it's just not there. Ask 10 local and state officials, you'll get 20 different opinions on the BCC. The arena is wrapped up in this, too, since it's old as dirt. One of the plans, in fact, involved knocking down the old side, knocking down the Sheraton, rebuilding the old side, putting the new arena there and sticking a hotel on top of it that the late Willard Hackerman would still own. Hackerman was cool with it but then he, well, passed away.

Supposedly the BBC is suppose to get renovations but being at the first dc one omg you weren't on top of everyone there was plenty of space it worked so well and will be even more streamlined this year . But maybe if the BBC gets bigger then yeah it's possible

10 hours ago, Kewshi said:

Supposedly the BBC is suppose to get renovations but being at the first dc one omg you weren't on top of everyone there was plenty of space it worked so well and will be even more streamlined this year . But maybe if the BBC gets bigger then yeah it's possible

Bcc* sorry phone auto correct

I sure do miss all the goodies at the Inner Harbor, but all the spacious elbow-room at the WEWCC is terrific.  Too bad we can't meld the two together.

Eventually we might, but we have a multi-year contract with the WEWCC, so we are going to be in DC for a while.

On 5/5/2018 at 1:48 AM, EdKitten said:

I sure do miss all the goodies at the Inner Harbor, but all the spacious elbow-room at the WEWCC is terrific.  Too bad we can't meld the two together.

The thing we did last year was fly into BWT, rail into Baltimore, get our fix of seafood and harbor (and.. Bronies?) then we took a train to DC for the con. Got a bit of both but it did add a lot of time.