Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sora Senpai

Any Chance of a Backup Panel list?

Question

Is their any chance in 2018 or in the future where a Backup Panel list can be apart of the operations?

I noticed plenty of events were canceled last year, and being a potential panelist this made me very upset.

I think having a backup list would benefit people who still want to see something if their event has been canceled and the Person who now gets to run a panel.

Even if the panel was an over the top one, if most are being used through a Laptop it would be simple in my opinion to host a panel if the Panelist is prepared.

10 answers to this question

Quite a few panels seem to get canceled only after the convention is already underway. For a lot of people that might be too short a notice. But if they're willing to be notified at the drop of a hat and bring materials just in case, I don't see why not.

Yeah I remember last year a decent amount were canceled. But if you bring your materials with you I feel like if you are given an hour or two notice it can be done. Just an idea.

10 hours ago, Potchari said:

I feel like this is one of those scenarios where no matter what, a group of people will end up frustrated.

Thats a good point. I guess you have to look at which panel "takes priority" So people would be all "this Panel is more important/informative then mine?" Which I can understand

The programming department typically keeps a limited set of panels (usually from well-established panelists, most often from our Featured Panelists) in our back pocket for emergencies. For obvious reasons, they're going to prioritize people they know and content they can rely on, from people who are already on site.

How bad of emergency though? I mean last year I felt like there were a hefty amount of cancellations. Yet nothing was filled in those spots.

I agree, I sat and waited for 2 panels that never happened. I presented one and the one before mine did not show up.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

There were so many cancellations last year. Especially late night stuff. I specifically remember the late night hentai panels being almost exclusively blank.

On 6/1/2018 at 6:02 PM, razisgosu said:

There were so many cancellations last year. Especially late night stuff. I specifically remember the late night hentai panels being almost exclusively blank.

I remember that. My friends and I were looking at the late night panels to see if it was worth staying at the con that late and saw that a ton of stuff had been canceled. 

On 5/30/2018 at 3:46 PM, alabaster said:

The programming department typically keeps a limited set of panels (usually from well-established panelists, most often from our Featured Panelists) in our back pocket for emergencies. For obvious reasons, they're going to prioritize people they know and content they can rely on, from people who are already on site.

I have been called on to do this on at least one occasion.  I also provide the panels department with a short list of panels that are ready to go at a moment's notice.

Some panelists just don't show up, disappear, get stuck in traffic, oversleep, and for whatever reason don't tell the panels department.  When it's an hour or two out from their panel, and they still have not checked in, the panels department tries to get in touch with the lead panelist, but at some point, usually an hour from their time, they have to pull it from the schedule and try to find something to fill that gap.  The problem with a waitlist is that even when you're able to get in touch with someone on the waitlist on short notice, they may not have even assembled their panel, or aren't prepared to present their panel.  Hence why panels tries to contact someone like myself to do something from we've previously presented.  Oh, let's also not forget the panelists who show up, claim their badges, check in, and then don't show up to their own panel.  At that point, there's nothing that can be done.  That time is just wasted.

TLDR, if people could show up for the thing they requested we wouldn't have this problem.