Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OtakonNews

[Otakon News]Otakon's official statement regarding proposed rally near the convention

Hello Otakon Community,

We are reaching out to notify you that we are aware of the proposed rally which would be located 2.1 miles away from the Walter E. Convention Center. The information that we have received from DC is that the rally will be well monitored as to have minimal or no effect on Otakon.

We assure you, the Otakon Community, that your welfare and safety is our number one priority during the convention along with having an enjoyable time. Currently, we are discussing and closely monitoring the situation. We will take action to help promote a healthy experience for all of our members.

We, at the Otakon Convention ask that you please take time to plan accordingly for your travel and time with us, and that you please read over the following; Otakon Convention Safety, Convention Safety Tips, and Washington, D.C. Safety Information.

Thank you everyone for passionately participating in our mission to appreciate and promote Asian Culture, and ensuring that the community is having a fun and safe time.

We are looking forward to seeing all of you soon!

Take care and best regards,

Otakorp, Inc. Board of Directors
Otakon Convention Staff

This may be nitpicking, but I wouldn't consider something 2 miles away to be "near" the WEWCC. Regardless, thanks for the heads-up. :)

This may be nitpicking, but I wouldn't consider something 2 miles away to be "near" the WEWCC. Regardless, thanks for the heads-up.

It’s a ~15 minute walk. In the grand scheme of things, that’s not far.

Anyway, this news should probably serve as a reminder to get travel insurance. Yes, I trust Otakon, WEWCC and MPD, and you should, too. But we all know what happened the last time these backwards troglodytes got together.

DC is a totally different animal compared to Charlottesville. A lot was learned then about what these people are capable of, and there is no way the city isn't prepared for it. Also, you can expect counter protests to pretty much restrict their movements so much so that they won't be able to get too far outside of their designated areas. City ordinance also will limit things that were emblematic of Charlottesville like torches and such.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, OtakonNews said:

the proposed rally which would be located 2.1 miles away from the Walter E. Convention Center

Uh, guys, I hate to have to point this out and alarm people, but Lafayette Square is less than a mile from the Walter E. Washington Convention Center.  You should really update your messaging to be factually accurate.

1Sy6EwI.png

Original reports we saw said the mall, then it was moved to Lafayette Square.

The news post was updated to read "between 1-2 miles".   We'll try and update that news post if other corrections are needed as new information comes in.

We also added a list of hotels and their walking distance from the rally, for those who might feel more comfortable a little further away.  That information was provided to us from Events DC.

8 hours ago, .taro. said:

The news post was updated to read "between 1-2 miles"

Is the designated entrance to Otakon still at MT Vernon Pl NW?  I ask because the entirety of Lafayette Square park falls within 0.9 walking distance of where everyone will funnel.  The statement ought to read "within a mile". Saying it's "between 1-2 miles" seems to exaggerate the distance, and people ought to be given the most accurate information in order to make an educated determination of safety.

14 hours ago, The Eva Monkey said:

Is the designated entrance to Otakon still at MT Vernon Pl NW?  I ask because the entirety of Lafayette Square park falls within 0.9 walking distance of where everyone will funnel.  The statement ought to read "within a mile". Saying it's "between 1-2 miles" seems to exaggerate the distance, and people ought to be given the most accurate information in order to make an educated determination of safety.

To that point, I'm no expert on managing foot traffic, and I know why the entrance by the Metro can't be used, but--just spitballing here--could there be somewhere else to provide for ingress, bag check and what have you? Eyeballing floor plans, unless you wanty to try to bottleneck everybody through the Marriott, probably... not?

Gosh, I posted under the "White civil rights rally" thread before reading this one.  Can someone please remind me why the entrance by the Metro can't be used for registration?  At another expo, they did use the rooms next to the Metro entrance, and those were HUGE rooms.  One huge room was used for bag inspection, and across the hall from it was another huge room used for registration.  They had a ton of people in the rooms and it worked out fine.

On 6/26/2018 at 2:43 AM, EdKitten said:

Gosh, I posted under the "White civil rights rally" thread before reading this one.  Can someone please remind me why the entrance by the Metro can't be used for registration?  At another expo, they did use the rooms next to the Metro entrance, and those were HUGE rooms.  One huge room was used for bag inspection, and across the hall from it was another huge room used for registration.  They had a ton of people in the rooms and it worked out fine.

1. We already use that entire area extensively for panels and other programming -- there isn't space to set up another reg area.

2. We are probably at our limit for multiple entrances effectively in terms of personnel or required bag checks.

1 hour ago, alabaster said:

1. We already use that entire area extensively for panels and other programming -- there isn't space to set up another reg area.

2. We are probably at our limit for multiple entrances effectively in terms of personnel or required bag checks.

Thanks so much for the info!