Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

windseeker

'White Civil Rights Rally' application approved for DC

3 hours ago, LittleHobbit13 said:

I ended up making a "heads up" post on tumblr about all this, and that was something I included. With any luck, Otakon will take up enough hotel space that it will be difficult for the Rally goers to find any single hotel to stay at in our usual radius en masse or closer to actual Otakon. That said, I had recommended to people that they call their hotels to find out if they're providing lodging to Rally goers. You may not be able to apply any pressure of "If you do, then consider my business gone!", but certainly people have a right to know if they're about to share space with people potentially prone to verbal or physical violence against certain groups. I recommended that people ask their hotels what measures they plan to take to ensure safety and peace of mind. They have that responsibility to you as a guest.

I think the Marquis and Renaissance will probably not have too much of a rally problem, as I'm sure most of the rooms have already been booked by Otakon attendees (not to mention rally goers may opt to stay at hotels that are close to the rally itself if they are staying in DC). It's the ones that still have rooms available that may be questionable.

Not sure if this will help make anyone feel better... but I work in DC. Today there's going to be a small protest outside of the building I work in from 12-2, and there are already tons of police present and it hasn't even started. My building has been getting numerous emails in advance and advising employees where to avoid/what to do, etc. I know it isn't the same, but as a life-time Northern VA/DC resident, I can safely say that DC does not mess around with rallies and protests. The one near me is going to be small, but the police presence is already very large.

EDIT: I just spoke with my friend, a DC Police Officer, to see what they may be doing for the rally:

2018-06-27 11_29_28-Google Hangouts.png

2 hours ago, Kristin Garrett said:

Not sure if this will help make anyone feel better... but I work in DC. Today there's going to be a small protest outside of the building I work in from 12-2, and there are already tons of police present and it hasn't even started. My building has been getting numerous emails in advance and advising employees where to avoid/what to do, etc. I know it isn't the same, but as a life-time Northern VA/DC resident, I can safely say that DC does not mess around with rallies and protests. The one near me is going to be small, but the police presence is already very large.

EDIT: I just spoke with my friend, a DC Police Officer, to see what they may be doing for the rally:

That's good to know. I think we'll be fine if the DC Metro Police are active when it comes to reacting to threats like this.

4 hours ago, Kristin Garrett said:

So great to know this!  Thanks for keeping us informed!  Do the emails include any areas to avoid near the WEWCC or hotels or anything nearby the convention center?  If you're not allowed to talk about the email contents, I understand and apologize for the question.  Stay safe!

17 hours ago, EdKitten said:

So great to know this!  Thanks for keeping us informed!  Do the emails include any areas to avoid near the WEWCC or hotels or anything nearby the convention center?  If you're not allowed to talk about the email contents, I understand and apologize for the question.  Stay safe!

The emails I'm referring to were talking about the specific protest that was happening outside of my place of work yesterday, but they did say areas to avoid, what to do, etc. I'm sure that buildings near the rally would do the same thing, but it's more for the employees of those buildings. But there were TONS of police out yesterday and the protest was VERY small - DC police definitely don't mess around, and they DEFINITELY will not be messing around with the rally in August.

Just my 2 cents

I honestly think everyone will be fine at Otakon like every year. I extremely dbout that people from the protest are going to interfere with con attendees. I know some of the people that would attend the rally and most of there are there just to make there voices known. There not there to start fights or cause issues.

Now weather you agree with them or not they do a legal right to be there, and at this time we look like instigators calling them and causing a big scene and are only reassuring there misguided beliefs. The wrong thing to do (as I have seen mentioned on the twitters) is instigate and "use our numbers to get rid of them". That would only make us and Otakon look horrible. Even worse could end someone in end jail or with a federal assault charge (that could ruin your life). Let the police do there job.

My advice is to stay inside the con and do not even think of going in the direction of the rally. Do not "be the hero" and approach someone from the rally, do not get involved in anything that antifa does (god I hope they don't show up), for the love of god don't bring any real weapons. 

Like I said we will fine, DC police is nothing to play with! and again do not instigate weather you believe your in the right or wrong. Please be safe and enjoy Otakon, life is to short for this.

20 hours ago, Kristin Garrett said:

The emails I'm referring to were talking about the specific protest that was happening outside of my place of work yesterday, but they did say areas to avoid, what to do, etc. I'm sure that buildings near the rally would do the same thing, but it's more for the employees of those buildings. But there were TONS of police out yesterday and the protest was VERY small - DC police definitely don't mess around, and they DEFINITELY will not be messing around with the rally in August.

You know after posting, I wondered if you meant a different rally -- sorry about the mix up, thinking it was for the August rally.  Where's my brain?  :blink:  But sure is great to know about the police presence!

I seem to remember people having the same fears when there were Freddie Gray riots in Baltimore the spring before the convention. I really doubt anything will happen.

Speaking of free speech, we should lock this thread down before it turns into a subreddit. 

7 hours ago, KyoKyo said:

I seem to remember people having the same fears when there were Freddie Gray riots in Baltimore the spring before the convention. I really doubt anything will happen.

Speaking of free speech, we should lock this thread down before it turns into a subreddit. 

I recall those fears too, but they were pretty different situations. The Baltimore protests happened in late April going into early May, and Otakon happened in late July, so fears were pretty misplaced. This 'rally' will be happening on the same day as Otakon. 

On 6/28/2018 at 1:22 PM, Yukimi Kazari said:

I know some of the people that would attend the rally and most of there are there just to make there voices known

...you know neo nazis?

5 hours ago, windseeker said:

...you know neo nazis?

There not “nazis” if you actually listen to what there saying. Misguided and wrong, obviously. But nazi is just a buzzword people use when they don’t listen. The rally orginizer said he’s kicking out anyone that has anything resembling nazi optics. White nationast, obviously. There’s a difference. I went deep into looking into this rally and even watched some interviews and asked some questions to see if there is any concern. If you actually want to hear what is going to happen I can link the live stream, but that only if you want to want to know.

As much as we don’t like it they have freedom of speech like all of us but where it crosses the line is when people get physical when you can remove yourself from the situation. It’s not about being right it’s being civil. 

Dont just throw that word around Willy Nilly, it’s not helping in trying to calm down this fear of the unknown.

Also the guy who runs the rally has no clue that that Otakon is going and didn’t even know that it was so close. (Only was able to figure that out because I was civil with him and was concerned)

24 minutes ago, Zeeba Neighba said:

IMOHO, not all voices are worth hearing.

That’s perfectly fine, we just need to not interact with them and don’t speak to them if were going to sperg out.

I wish more people would not try to get confrontational with these people when we expect no one is going to agree

6 hours ago, Yukimi Kazari said:

That’s perfectly fine, we just need to not interact with them and don’t speak to them if were going to sperg out.

I wish more people would not try to get confrontational with these people when we expect no one is going to agree

just move the date is all we want honestly

9 hours ago, Something Clever said:

just move the date is all we want honestly

there going to say the same to us. Both Otakon and Unite the Right have dropped lots of money running a event. I would be pretty messed up if Otakon said "hay were changing the date" and everyone out of state has to rebook hotels and flights. 

Is it really that hard to stay away and not walk the mile down there and start problems? Am I really that crazy to suggest everyone just stay away, I already got confirmation that UtR is not going to interfere and has safety messes in place, and I'm sure Otakon as big as it is has LOTS of planning into safety.

3 hours ago, Yukimi Kazari said:

there going to say the same to us. Both Otakon and Unite the Right have dropped lots of money running a event. I would be pretty messed up if Otakon said "hay were changing the date" and everyone out of state has to rebook hotels and flights. 

Is it really that hard to stay away and not walk the mile down there and start problems? Am I really that crazy to suggest everyone just stay away, I already got confirmation that UtR is not going to interfere and has safety messes in place, and I'm sure Otakon as big as it is has LOTS of planning into safety.

just because you know people who are going to the rally doesnt change the fact they are the problem

You keep talking about us bothering them and never acknowledge  the fact they could go and bother us. 

So the guy in charge of it gave his word so what?  Does that mean several hundred people are going to all listen just because he gave his word?  No it doesnt and all it takes is one extremist with a gun and a plan and we have at least a few dead no matter how much security.

Thats the core issue is that nowadays its easy to cause mayhem and why we want the dates moved. 

But you keep talking about the otakon con goers like we are the threat to them. 

So answer me this what it a few people who attend the rally spot a con goer who is black,mexican,trans or someone else who they hate before the rally?  So you can assure everyone they wont verbally assault them?  Or if there a women sexually harass them?  Or physically try to hurt someone?  Or if there in the same hotel follow them around and make them feel scared and unsafe?

And stop talking like the people are the rally havnt given us a reason to not want them around.  I never here a news story about con goers holding torches and screaming about con pride and have a anti race view.  But guess what i hear plenty of news story about the people in the rally.

You try to spin this as a neutral issue where both sides share the blame but its not that way at all.  We have never instigated violence or hate against another race and the rally people have.

From what you posted you obviously have ties be it friends or whatever to the rally but that doesnt change who they are which are ugly close minded racists and in some cases modern day nazis.

14 hours ago, Yukimi Kazari said:

There not “nazis” if you actually listen to what there saying. Misguided and wrong, obviously. But nazi is just a buzzword people use when they don’t listen. The rally orginizer said he’s kicking out anyone that has anything resembling nazi optics. White nationast, obviously. There’s a difference. I went deep into looking into this rally and even watched some interviews and asked some questions to see if there is any concern. If you actually want to hear what is going to happen I can link the live stream, but that only if you want to want to know.

As much as we don’t like it they have freedom of speech like all of us but where it crosses the line is when people get physical when you can remove yourself from the situation. It’s not about being right it’s being civil. 

Dont just throw that word around Willy Nilly, it’s not helping in trying to calm down this fear of the unknown.

Also the guy who runs the rally has no clue that that Otakon is going and didn’t even know that it was so close. (Only was able to figure that out because I was civil with him and was concerned)

People who chant "blood and soil" and "you will not replace us" are nazis cut and dry.

Anyways. I hope everyone is safe at the con, I'm taking extra  safety measures for myself since I'm traveling to and from Baltimore and DC 

On 6/27/2018 at 10:57 AM, Kristin Garrett said:

Weirdly, I'm less concerned with while the rally is happening, because I'm sure DC takes their security seriously, and I'm more concerned about the off-hours. People getting revved early in the morning, or people still on their hate high after the fact. I'm less concerned with us having incidents while their thing is going on, with the police present, than I am about the off-hours interactions we may have with them. People in the outskirts hotels having to share close space in elevators with them, or any of them deciding maybe they'll come over to Otakon to give people a hard time as a way to fill their time. Hell, we had that one guy last year, no connection, who stood outside of Otakon shouting loudly for hours about people going to hell or whatever. That's one random guy, and now we've got people right next door who are there specifically looking to condemn people different from them? If history and psychology teach us nothing else, it's that even if organizers want one thing, you can't always stop the attendees of these types of rallies from taking things too far in zealous.

I think we can count on the DC police for a lot around rally hours, but not for every inch of DC for the whole weekend. People need to be careful and make plans ahead of time for how to ensure their own safety and peace of mind if an unpleasant interaction occurs. It'll be great if people plan for how they'll handle things and then don't have to use those plans. It could be potentially dangerous in this instance the other way around. "Hope for the best, prepare for the worst" is all I'm saying.

1 hour ago, Something Clever said:

just because you know people who are going to the rally doesnt change the fact they are the problem

You keep talking about us bothering them and never acknowledge  the fact they could go and bother us. 

So the guy in charge of it gave his word so what?  Does that mean several hundred people are going to all listen just because he gave his word?  No it doesnt and all it takes is one extremist with a gun and a plan and we have at least a few dead no matter how much security.

Thats the core issue is that nowadays its easy to cause mayhem and why we want the dates moved. 

But you keep talking about the otakon con goers like we are the threat to them. 

So answer me this what it a few people who attend the rally spot a con goer who is black,mexican,trans or someone else who they hate before the rally?  So you can assure everyone they wont verbally assault them?  Or if there a women sexually harass them?  Or physically try to hurt someone?  Or if there in the same hotel follow them around and make them feel scared and unsafe?

And stop talking like the people are the rally havnt given us a reason to not want them around.  I never here a news story about con goers holding torches and screaming about con pride and have a anti race view.  But guess what i hear plenty of news story about the people in the rally.

You try to spin this as a neutral issue where both sides share the blame but its not that way at all.  We have never instigated violence or hate against another race and the rally people have.

From what you posted you obviously have ties be it friends or whatever to the rally but that doesnt change who they are which are ugly close minded racists and in some cases modern day nazis.

They “could” but its unlikely, when they don’t even were going to be there. He literally said “what’s ahhtacon” lol. I’m pretty open minded when my safety is concerned.... No one is going to come with a gun, if think that’s happening, then why even leave the house. If you live your life in fear you will never experience anything. If someone approches you, you..... dont interact. Ignore. Does it suck? Ya but fighting hate with hate only ends in hate (MLK). 

If anyone should be scared it should be me, Dark Skin and Cross Dressing. I know how to ignore people.

There not going to do anything, the reason i say someone on our side is going to do something is because if litteraly theses types of posts. All this hate and aggression when I dont see this on the opposite side. What happened last year was caused by thinking like this and people going to attack because they dont like peoples ideas. They admitted the torches was silly lol.

Sure there ideas are wrong and racist, but they have a permit and they have freedom of speech so they can do as they please. What we need to do is act as if there not even there.

Every year something happens, stop living in fear. You can only control what you do.

1 hour ago, ChesapeakeCannibal said:

People who chant "blood and soil" and "you will not replace us" are nazis cut and dry.

Anyways. I hope everyone is safe at the con, I'm taking extra  safety measures for myself since I'm traveling to and from Baltimore and DC 

That’s called a white nationalist, that’s not what a nazi is. 

Um a White Nationslist & White Supremacists shares the exact same ideology with a Neo-Nazi. Neo-Nazi is a subset of that group so is the KKK and many other white nationalist groups. 

So yes they actually are Nazis. I mean the fact that a lot of them were carrying Nazi flags at the Charleston rally didn’t clue you in.

Whatever they are a hate group: they hate Blacks, Jews, Immigrants etc and blame these groups on their problems and think the US should belong to White ppl only. Individuals in the large group may have different views but that is by and large what they think. 

2 hours ago, Yukimi Kazari said:

They “could” but its unlikely, when they don’t even were going to be there. He literally said “what’s ahhtacon” lol.

Well, he knows now.  It won't take much to figure out how to spell it.  Why did you tell him about Otakon?  I do agree with a lot of what you said in your posts, and I think you have good intentions.  And of course, Otakon's not a secret.  But why did you mention Otakon at all, instead of maybe just talking about other peoples' conventions in general?  Just curious.

2 hours ago, EdKitten said:

Well, he knows now.  It won't take much to figure out how to spell it.  Why did you tell him about Otakon?  I do agree with a lot of what you said in your posts, and I think you have good intentions.  And of course, Otakon's not a secret.  But why did you mention Otakon at all, instead of maybe just talking about other peoples' conventions in general?  Just curious.

I mentioned it because people on twitter were sayin they were “filling tere voice mail” and sending death threats to the organizers and that only makes us look like crazy people. At that point I had to step in because people on Twitter and really making us look bad.

2 hours ago, Kirarakim said:

Um a White Nationslist & White Supremacists shares the exact same ideology with a Neo-Nazi. Neo-Nazi is a subset of that group so is the KKK and many other white nationalist groups. 

So yes they actually are Nazis. I mean the fact that a lot of them were carrying Nazi flags at the Charleston rally didn’t clue you in.

Whatever they are a hate group: they hate Blacks, Jews, Immigrants etc and blame these groups on their problems and think the US should belong to White ppl only. Individuals in the large group may have different views but that is by and large what they think. 

Ok get back to me when you know the difference. The people in charlotons vill were LARPers that like to act edgy. I’m gonna call them as they are defined. Nazi and the KKK dont like each other. 

6 minutes ago, Yukimi Kazari said:

I mentioned it because people on twitter were sayin they were “filling tere voice mail” and sending death threats to the organizers and that only makes us look like crazy people. At that point I had to step in because people on Twitter and really making us look bad.

Ok get back to me when you know the difference. The people in charlotons vill were LARPers that like to act edgy. I’m gonna call them as they are defined. Nazi and the KKK dont like each other. 

I don’t really care if they don’t like each other. Stop arguing semantics they all come from the same cloth. They are hate groups who think the US and Europe should have a white majority and other people are inferior. 

Also it’s clear you don’t know much about Neo-Nazi ideology if you think there is any real difference except what they call themselves. 

Also they are not innocent. Stop trying to act like they are peaceful & non-violent because that couldn’t be further from the truth. 

25 minutes ago, Kirarakim said:

I don’t really care if they don’t like each other. Stop arguing semantics they all come from the same cloth. They are hate groups who think the US and Europe should have a white majority and other people are inferior. 

Also it’s clear you don’t know much about Neo-Nazi ideology if you think there is any real difference except what they call themselves. 

Also they are not innocent. Stop trying to act like they are peaceful & non-violent because that couldn’t be further from the truth. 

Doesn’t matter what we thing. stop fighting hate with hate, were supposed to be bigger more mature and right now we look like children that are mad that everything is not going our way. If someone starts a issue from our side and its recorded, we are all going to look horrible and could even give the staff a harder time.

Like i said before do not engage, ignore them, act like a adult. I dont care if you dont like them, be the bigger person. They could say the most nastiest stuff to you and you still need to stay way becuyase if you touch them and they can prove it, there going to charge you. This is why you never hear them getting charges because they know who’s going to strike first. 

I can handle being called names and such, not the first year someone comments about a boy dressing like a girl when in or out of the con.

If you cant do that then i dont know if you can handle this or any year of Otakon. This expicaly i dont want to hear of a fight breaking that contains anyone from Otakon. If they hit you, you call the cops. If you hit them well I’m sorry. 

Like before weather you like it or not. UnR and Otakon and happening the same time and there nothing you can do about it besides act appropriate. They both have permits and have paid, there “we were there first” because there more then a mile away from us. We should show how little there words mean and continue as if nothing going on. If you cant do that, then your never going to win.

18 minutes ago, Yukimi Kazari said:

Doesn’t matter what we thing. stop fighting hate with hate, were supposed to be bigger more mature and right now we look like children that are mad that everything is not going our way. If someone starts a issue from our side and its recorded, we are all going to look horrible and could even give the staff a harder time.

Like i said before do not engage, ignore them, act like a adult. I dont care if you dont like them, be the bigger person. They could say the most nastiest stuff to you and you still need to stay way becuyase if you touch them and they can prove it, there going to charge you. This is why you never hear them getting charges because they know who’s going to strike first. 

I can handle being called names and such, not the first year someone comments about a boy dressing like a girl when in or out of the con.

If you cant do that then i dont know if you can handle this or any year of Otakon. This expicaly i dont want to hear of a fight breaking that contains anyone from Otakon. If they hit you, you call the cops. If you hit them well I’m sorry. 

Like before weather you like it or not. UnR and Otakon and happening the same time and there nothing you can do about it besides act appropriate. They both have permits and have paid, there “we were there first” because there more then a mile away from us. We should show how little there words mean and continue as if nothing going on. If you cant do that, then your never going to win.

You should never be tolerant against the intolerant . Sorry but these people are not a joke to me. Their ideology  is a very real threat to this country. 

Also these people are not peaceful (one of them rammed a car into protestors & killed a young girl last year or this https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/05/02/607663487/white-man-convicted-of-beating-black-man-at-charlottesville-white-nationalist-ra ) so people have very legitimate concerns for their safety beyond just being called bad names. The rally is in walking distance to the con. 

12 minutes ago, Kirarakim said:

You should never be tolerant against the intolerant . Sorry but these people are not a joke to me. Their ideology  is a very real threat to this country. 

Also these people are not peaceful (one of them rammed a car into protestors & killed a young girl last year or this https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/05/02/607663487/white-man-convicted-of-beating-black-man-at-charlottesville-white-nationalist-ra ) so people have very legitimate concerns for their safety beyond just being called bad names. The rally is in walking distance to the con. 

Ya i dont think MLK or anyone that actually got us to this point would agree with you. No one has gotten anywhere by fighting.

I know what happened last year, this is what happens when you allow antifa to show up and stir issues. Instead of citing NPR watch the full live stream of what happened and you would know how it unfolded, but your not going to because you want to believe something is going to happen. I’m not dense I know what happened at UnR 1. It’s VA they were not prepared. This is D.C. they dont take anything in the capital lightly. Maybe if this was Baltimore then sure I can understand the scare, but its not.

Sure it is, but are you planning on walking there? I dont think so, stay insides the con (which i assume everyone is going to a con todo...) and dont engage. People are working there selfs all up over something they have no control over. When i was almost jumped in Balitime my first I didn’t stop going just because things got a little dicey.

I said it a million time now, be the bigger person. Act appropate. Even if they hit you, you are not allowed to hit back. Call the police

Mark my words, nothing will happen. If anything some small tussle may happen but the likelyhood it will happen to you or I is slim to none (if you don’t instigate or respond)

2 hours ago, Yukimi Kazari said:

Thanks for your post -- that makes perfect sense.  I wasn't aware of the twitter posts.  You know, even though we probably don't see things the same on some issues, thank you for the advice about what to do if there's ever an encounter between the groups or one-on-one.  That's good advice.  It's hard as h*** not to fight back once you've been hit, but legally it's good advice, as you and some others have mentioned here.

10 hours ago, Yukimi Kazari said:

Ya i dont think MLK or anyone that actually got us to this point would agree with you. No one has gotten anywhere by fighting.

I know what happened last year, this is what happens when you allow antifa to show up and stir issues. Instead of citing NPR watch the full live stream of what happened and you would know how it unfolded, but your not going to because you want to believe something is going to happen. I’m not dense I know what happened at UnR 1. It’s VA they were not prepared. This is D.C. they dont take anything in the capital lightly. Maybe if this was Baltimore then sure I can understand the scare, but its not.

Sure it is, but are you planning on walking there? I dont think so, stay insides the con (which i assume everyone is going to a con todo...) and dont engage. People are working there selfs all up over something they have no control over. When i was almost jumped in Balitime my first I didn’t stop going just because things got a little dicey.

I said it a million time now, be the bigger person. Act appropate. Even if they hit you, you are not allowed to hit back. Call the police

Mark my words, nothing will happen. If anything some small tussle may happen but the likelyhood it will happen to you or I is slim to none (if you don’t instigate or respond)

No where did I say I was going to go anywhere near them or physically try to fight them during Otakon. I just don’t like the incorrect attitude that it’s the other side that causes trouble & then they fight back. These are not peaceful people that you are trying to make them out to be. And even if it is not an Otakon attendee, I don’t want anyone hurt because of these nut cases. I am sure the police would have came in time from stopping that black kid from being beat up by a gang. 

Martin Luther King promoted non-violent protests against a racist system. He never said to stay silent or to ignore which is what you are implying. 

And yes these people are a real danger. Just ignoring them is not going to make them go away. 

Wow, glad and sad I'm missing out on this years Ota for the first time. Really want to see them try and pull that type of BS rally in DC. It is NOT going to fly with a lot of people especially since it's in DC. I expect madness to break out of it does happen.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Kirarakim said:

No where did I say I was going to go anywhere near them or physically try to fight them during Otakon. I just don’t like the incorrect attitude that it’s the other side that causes trouble & then they fight back. These are not peaceful people that you are trying to make them out to be. And even if it is not an Otakon attendee, I don’t want anyone hurt because of these nut cases. I am sure the police would have came in time from stopping that black kid from being beat up by a gang. 

Martin Luther King promoted non-violent protests against a racist system. He never said to stay silent or to ignore which is what you are implying. 

And yes these people are a real danger. Just ignoring them is not going to make them go away. 

At this point I don't think you should come this year if you are seriously that afraid of the possibilities of anything. Sure a lot fo stuff could happen but I'm not going to let some people of a differing option scare me or people of Otakon. You have fallen into the fear of racist, its to late they have won over you.

What MLK did was mostly that, you have pick you battles and this not one you need to fight if your so concerned about the other people attending.

@Yukimi Kazari I was trying to just skip over your conversation, but some of your stuff has me genuinely curious. Even if you want to label them as "white supremacists" rather than "neo-nazis", why are you working so hard to downplay and excuse the hateful ideology they stand for and the violence that factually they've been shown to support? Especially when you're doing it at the expense of Otakon attendees, trying to make us out to be the villains in this piece. "You like cheddar but I like provolone" is a differing opinion. "I think people who look different from me are less worth of 'my' rights" is a xenophobic agenda. Why are you trying so hard to downplay their words and actions? It's not morally equivalent to suggest "I'd rather they not do their fear mongering on the same weekend as Otakon" is just as hateful as "white people should always come first." Why are you trying to put Otakon attendees on the same level as that?

To get to the heart of it, nobody is happy about the protest, but we should try our best to keep from entangling Otakon with those people in any way.  Staff, gofer, or average con-goer, you are a part of Otakon and you believe in tolerance and inclusion.  We attend Otakon every year to celebrate different human cultures and the spread of ideas.  Nobody wants them there, but starting a fight here won't solve anything.

I highly doubt there will be much overlap in DC - but if there is a passerby or two that decide to spit hatred, personally I agree with Yukimi- ignore these people, don't give them any credit, report them to security if they're too close for comfort, but do not engage.  Keep yourself and those around you safe.

And thank you Kristen for sharing with us that DC police are already aware of the potential issues and are on top of the situation, that is very reassuring.

(Those are my two cents, I hope you all dissemble the semantics war before this discussion quickly dissolves into something regrettable)

Let's keep this topic on the topic of how it relates to Otakon.

Since Otakorp is a non-profit organization, it's important that we do not engage in political activity, even on these message boards.  While you can make arguments about is ideology = politics, let's focus on the convention and addressing people's concerns.

@CaiaWar - indeed, Otakon would not be Otakon without tolerance and inclusion.  We have a fantastic 2,300,000 square-foot venue and a 25,000 or so of our ota-friends where we get to show what our message is.   If I may quote Vash the Stampede: "This World is Made of Love and Peace!"

9 hours ago, Yukimi Kazari said:

At this point I don't think you should come this year if you are seriously that afraid of the possibilities of anything. Sure a lot fo stuff could happen but I'm not going to let some people of a differing option scare me or people of Otakon. You have fallen into the fear of racist, its to late they have won over you.

What MLK did was mostly that, you have pick you battles and this not one you need to fight if your so concerned about the other people attending.

I did not ask for your advice whether I should attend Otakon or not. 

On 6/29/2018 at 5:33 PM, windseeker said:

I recall those fears too, but they were pretty different situations. The Baltimore protests happened in late April going into early May, and Otakon happened in late July, so fears were pretty misplaced. This 'rally' will be happening on the same day as Otakon

I doubt this rally/protest/whatever is going to take the time to march in the WWCC and disrupt an anime convention. They'll be too busy slugging it out with antifa. 

I doubt this rally/protest/whatever is going to take the time to march in the WWCC and disrupt an anime convention. They'll be too busy slugging it out with antifa. 
Personally, I don't think people are concerned with rally goers "infiltrating" the convention (especially since you need a badge to get in). What's troublesome is what they may do to people (particularly marginalized people) out and about on the street, even if their targets are minding their own business.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

On 7/1/2018 at 1:09 PM, LittleHobbit13 said:

@Yukimi Kazari I was trying to just skip over your conversation, but some of your stuff has me genuinely curious. Even if you want to label them as "white supremacists" rather than "neo-nazis", why are you working so hard to downplay and excuse the hateful ideology they stand for and the violence that factually they've been shown to support? Especially when you're doing it at the expense of Otakon attendees, trying to make us out to be the villains in this piece. "You like cheddar but I like provolone" is a differing opinion. "I think people who look different from me are less worth of 'my' rights" is a xenophobic agenda. Why are you trying so hard to downplay their words and actions? It's not morally equivalent to suggest "I'd rather they not do their fear mongering on the same weekend as Otakon" is just as hateful as "white people should always come first." Why are you trying to put Otakon attendees on the same level as that?

At this point I don't really care about the politics of either side, all I care about is people staying away and acting like adults (not getting into fights and ending up in jail). Personally I could care less about what agenda they have, Sure there wrong about a lot but there normal people. Continuing to fight hate and hate only ends on more hate. Im not going to continue to contribute to the constant boiling of emotions and non-sense.

Stay inside the con. Don't fight anyone over words. Act like a adult.

5 hours ago, Yukimi Kazari said:

At this point I don't really care about the politics of either side, all I care about is people staying away and acting like adults (not getting into fights and ending up in jail). Personally I could care less about what agenda they have, Sure there wrong about a lot but there normal people. Continuing to fight hate and hate only ends on more hate. Im not going to continue to contribute to the constant boiling of emotions and non-sense.

Stay inside the con. Don't fight anyone over words. Act like a adult.

"Stay inside the con"

I guess that's my problem on the Otakon-front with your attitude toward this issue. You're essentially assuming that Otakon attendees will be the ones looking to start fights, and you're suggesting that we all confine ourselves in the absence of guilt on our part in deference to a white supremacist rally. Why should Otakon attendees, who have the longer standing reservation and the better reputation for non-violence, be the ones punished and restricted over this? What you're trying to pass off as furthered hate is actually valid safety concerns, which god forbid anyone should have given the nature of the other event. We have just as much right, if not more, to spread out into the nearby area to enjoy ourselves over the weekend. "Stay inside the con and act like an adult". That's a BS attitude toward this whole thing, IMO. You're essentially giving con-goers the presumption of guilt before anything has even happened. That's not cool.

6 hours ago, LittleHobbit13 said:

"Stay inside the con"

I guess that's my problem on the Otakon-front with your attitude toward this issue. You're essentially assuming that Otakon attendees will be the ones looking to start fights, and you're suggesting that we all confine ourselves in the absence of guilt on our part in deference to a white supremacist rally. Why should Otakon attendees, who have the longer standing reservation and the better reputation for non-violence, be the ones punished and restricted over this? What you're trying to pass off as furthered hate is actually valid safety concerns, which god forbid anyone should have given the nature of the other event. We have just as much right, if not more, to spread out into the nearby area to enjoy ourselves over the weekend. "Stay inside the con and act like an adult". That's a BS attitude toward this whole thing, IMO. You're essentially giving con-goers the presumption of guilt before anything has even happened. That's not cool.

I don’t care who starts the fight, don’t reciprocate. If a fight breaks out the cops don’t really care who started it, there going to arrest everyone involved. Don’t care who to blame. Just don’t do it. Don’t engage, don’t speak to them, don’t talk back, just don’t do anything if you know there from the rally. There not worth your time.

At this point I 3rd locking the thread at this point because everyone is set on there mind. I did my part, if your scared off by this then I don’t know how your going make it in life....

I really didn't want to lock this thread as it's important people have a place to discuss their thoughts and concerns about the rally.

That being said, if that's what it takes to get things back on track, locking this thread and a new one has been created here:

https://board.otakon.com/index.php?/topic/28989-rally-thoughts-and-concerns/