Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OtakonOtaku

Where is Parking?

Is it just me or does parking suck in DC!? I'm looking for parking that is not going to cost me the same as another day in the hotel! Am I missing something?  I was trying to look on parking panda. But valet parking is everywhere and costs way too much. (Actually it seems some hotels don't have parking at all.  )  I would really be thankful for some help locating parking that is in walking distance. ( DC frustrates me..... It's makes going to Otakon more stressful than before)

Try using Spot Hero. We do have event parking through them, and there are some good deals (I found $20 for Saturday and $10 for Sunday)

You could also park at a metro station that has parking and take Metro to the Convention Center. That's what I'll be doing coming from Northern VA.

If you want to save a little extra, reserve through Spot Hero and use code STARS15 through the end of July 4th for 15% off up to $5!

I used SpotHero! I got a space at the hotel from Thursday-Monday for 150 (And if its your first reserve you can get 5$ off if you use their app) - so 30$ a day.  Not too bad when you consider how much Valet is ^^;

Thanks so much. I see that spot hero isn't doing a discount for Thursday?  do you have to add each day individually for the Otakon rates?

Metro isn't really an option I don't think...

Yeah, definitely use SpotHero. Last year, I got a reasonably priced space in the Safeway garage through Parking Panda (which they now own).

21 hours ago, OtakonOtaku said:

Is it just me or does parking suck in DC!? I'm looking for parking that is not going to cost me the same as another day in the hotel! Am I missing something?  I was trying to look on parking panda. But valet parking is everywhere and costs way too much. (Actually it seems some hotels don't have parking at all.  )  I would really be thankful for some help locating parking that is in walking distance. ( DC frustrates me..... It's makes going to Otakon more stressful than before)

That's why I decided to take the bus, instead of driving over.

Thought out the Bus thing before... it's almost a 10 HR trip. because for some reason they go to flipping NYC first ?? where I have to transfer??? ( I hadn't looked it up in a while so I did it just now XD there is no direct bus to DC?? train is not much better) ... I only live in Delaware. by car about... 3 hrs max

( I remember back in the day  my first few time driving to Baltimore parking right at the hotel and it was 20$ ... so I will look into everything you might toss at me information wise)

If you *can't* find reasonable parking and would just be leaving your car in one place over the weekend, I'd recommend taking the train down from Wilmington. Considering what you'd otherwise spend on gas and tolls, it would probably be a good deal.

You could also park at a metro station that has parking and take Metro to the Convention Center. That's what I'll be doing coming from Northern VA.
On the Maryland side is the Silver Spring station with county parking (NOAA campus). However, there may be Red Line issues

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, OtakonOtaku said:

Thanks so much. I see that spot hero isn't doing a discount for Thursday?  do you have to add each day individually for the Otakon rates?

Metro isn't really an option I don't think...

I sent the person who handles the Spot Hero arrangement for us a question seeing if we could get Thursday added to our rates.  (not that you can't just go directly to them, but it'd be nice to have it all in one search).

I reserved a parking spot using Parking Panda (which then sent me thru Spot Hero) at City Center Garage on 870 9th Street (pretty much right in front of the convention center) for Otakon weekend Thursday thru Monday for only $72. It's indoor, monitored, and 24/7 access (no in/out though). That was about the best deal I could find this year which seems great to me. Last year we parked at the Uline Arena garage for $28 but I couldn't find that this year and it was probably just a deal for the Uline Arena mall grand opening.

I’m planing on parking at union station and taking metro to the hotel. 

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 9:27 AM, Kyo said:

I’m planing on parking at union station and taking metro to the hotel. 

Awesome!  It's so much easier getting around via metro.  And Union Station is a great place, because it's like a mall, with lots of restaurants on each level, especially the food court on the lower level.  Walgreen's is also located on the lower level, next to the food court (very handy for supplies).  I won't bore you with a monotonously long post like last year.  But the comic book store isn't there anymore.  They do have a small used book store on the top floor called Carpe Librum -- which also has a very small selection of mangas, like maybe 10 of them (a few of those are "Negima").  They also have a small selection of CDs and DVDs (am not sure if any are anime related or not).

I'll be parking at the Safeway garage again, this year. Only about a quarter mile from the convention center. Was only $72 when I reserved it at the beginning of the year for Thurs-Sun, but it's now going for $125+ on spothero.

When reserving a parking spot, particularly on Spot Hero, remember that your start and end times matter. If your end time on Sunday is after your starting time on Thursday, you will be charged an extra day as you are staying there for more than 72  hours (3 full days). If you can swing it where you are coming in later in the afternoon after your expected departure time, you can save on parking.

For example, the Safeway garage for 72 hours of parking is $94.50 instead of $126 which you get if you are staying more than 72 hours.

Can anyone recommend any lots/ does anyone know any places that will do overnight parking for thursday too? The parking garages I found on Spot Hero only did overnight parking for friday-sunday. 

I sprang for valet last year because it was only $15 (total) more than using the closest parking garage with Parking Panda. If I can make it next year, I'll likely spring for valet again because I'll be with a 1yo infant.

On 7/2/2018 at 10:06 PM, .taro. said:

I sent the person who handles the Spot Hero arrangement for us a question seeing if we could get Thursday added to our rates.  (not that you can't just go directly to them, but it'd be nice to have it all in one search).

And Thursday has been added to the SpotHero pricing!

https://www.otakon.com/info/special-deals/

Did you click on Nick's link or directly through the site? I can get in from his link, I see the Thursday.