Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ashlynx

Prop weapon question (gun)

Question

I want my character to have a gun for his cosplay (it just wouldn't be the same without), but his gun is a realistic looking one. I know fantasy guns that could clearly never be seen as "real" are one thing, but I got a cheap-o water gun and spray painted it black. It came with a pretty large bright neon orange tip, which I removed before spray painting and put back on after (the trigger pull is also orange, which I covered with tape before spray painting). It actually looked a lot more realistic than I was expecting before I spray painted it though. I'd still need to do a bit of other work to make it look like the character's gun, but I just want to confirm that an empty water gun, spray painted black, but with the bright orange tip + trigger, would still be acceptable.

8 answers to this question

Under our revised weapon/prop policy this would be permitted if it is empty & incapable of squirting water.  So you would have to modify it in some way that's not functional (plug the barrel, immobilize or remove the trigger, would be two examples).

Here is the current policy concerning these specific prop weapons:

NO PROJECTILE WEAPONS OF ANY KIND will be permitted. Examples include, but are not limited to:

• Real or antique firearms (to include replica or “demilled”)
  • Air rifle, air gun, air pistol, B-B gun, spring gun, blowgun, bowgun, bean shooter, sling, projectile, dart.
  • Airsoft (or similar type) guns, regardless of whether functional or not, are strictly prohibited. A non-functional Airsoft gun with no moving parts is still an Airsoft gun.
  • Stun guns and Tasers
  • The ONLY exceptions to this rule are: nonfunctional nerf and water guns (that cannot fire and contain no projectiles/liquid). Functional versions of these will be immediately removed from the convention space.

https://www.otakon.com/info/general-policies/

Ok, so, the prop is done, I have the orange tip and I straight up removed the trigger (lucky for me, it just pulled right out), but the problem is.... it honestly looks too realistic, especially at a distance... I had no idea that a $1 water gun combined with a $1can of spray paint would result in this....

So, sure, it might pass Otakon standards, but it's kind of failing on "common sense" standards. Any suggestions to make this thing look more... fake?

IMG_20180718_200342.jpg.44ec85bbb303c03e8275e9b771d6ccf2.jpg

I think this should be ok, especially inside the con.  Unless posing for a picture, I'd keep it tucked away or in a bag when outside the convention center.

On 7/19/2018 at 5:54 PM, ashlynx said:

Ok, so, the prop is done, I have the orange tip and I straight up removed the trigger (lucky for me, it just pulled right out), but the problem is.... it honestly looks too realistic, especially at a distance... I had no idea that a $1 water gun combined with a $1can of spray paint would result in this....

So, sure, it might pass Otakon standards, but it's kind of failing on "common sense" standards. Any suggestions to make this thing look more... fake?

Just don't flash it when outside the con, put it in your bag if you go outside. I had a cosplay a few years back that also had a realistic looking gun (I had to hot glue parts of it to make it non usable, when I got it I found out it made a loud sound when the trigger was pulled) and only took it out for pictures. No issue.

Ok, thanks! I figured that outside of the con, I'd keep it hidden away.

However, what about when coming INTO the convention center? They do a bag check, I don't want the poor people working the bag check to freak out about a "gun", so what do I do when coming into the con itself?

When you have a prop that needs to be check you get sent to a special line, where Otakon Staff (along with possibly a MPD officer) check the weapon to ensure it meets our rules (and/or laws).  So when you get to bag check area, tell them you have a prop weapon that needs approval, and they should direct you down to us.  We're already expecting you to pull out a prop gun or sword, etc so it won't really faze us ^_^  They will give it a once over, and if approved (which it should be), they will provide a way to indicate it's been checked.

Ok, cool, thanks! Will the prop need to be check every day/every time I reenter, or just once and after that, it will have the indicator on it?