Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tachibana

Question about Concert Queueing

Question

I only attended a concert at Otakon once before, the Aya Hirano one, and it was coupled with her signing so as a result I lined up two hours ahead of seating. But, it seemed like plenty of people managed to make it in past me who lined up later. So I wonder, is that typical for Otakon concerts? Would I be able to line up an hour and a half, an hour, a half an hour ahead of time to get seated? I want to try to catch one of the FInal Fantasy concerts (not sure which yet, waiting for the schedule to be more finalized first and see what conflicts, but likely the Sunday one), so, just want to make sure I have my best shot WITHOUT missing out on too much of the rest of the con! 

2 answers to this question

On the current schedule there appears to be a designated line up period, so my guesses are that there is a designated time and place to line up for the major events since they tend to create the longest lines and draw in the biggest crowds and that can cause fire hazards. But I'm sure an actual staffer will comment soon with a better answer.

I just hope they have signage showing where the line should be and staffers ready to improvise. I once went to Sakuracon years ago, and con-goers naturally created a line waiting to go in. But because we weren't lined up the way they wanted us to be (there were no signs or anything in the schedule saying where to be and what to do), they made us all disperse which caused people who'd been waiting in line for a long time to lose all of that waiting (I was one of them). Yeah, there was no guarantees or promises, but a little sympathy would be nice, especially considering the fact that we were cooperative. And then last year when trying to get into the con, there was some miscommunication on where the line was going and where people could enter the building (they had to momentarily redirect the line I think?) and the staffers at the door told us we couldn't go in the way we were told to go in and tried to send us to the back of the line despite the fact that we were the front of the line at that moment.

There will be more details about the concert lining soon.  They just finalized the maps and lining plans on Saturday, so once we have everything tied off internally, we should be able to get the word out to our members. 

For those who were there last year, the top floor is where the concerts will be held, along with a number of other main events things.  We'll be following a similar model (since  there are VIP seats for concerts) with a split line (VIP vs General Seating) where appropriate for these events, and should have well-marked lining areas waiting for you.  We'll do our best to get the word out well in advance, as we want to spare you -- and our staff -- any anxiety about lining.

As for the miscommunication last year, there were a lot of factors in play -- mostly, though, it was new venue blues, plus last-minute changes that didn't get conveyed to all staff.  We'll do our best to do better this time.