Sign in to follow this  
Generic878

Capacity of the Friday concert?

Need to know so I can decline a workshop (or not) based on risk of concert filling up?

BTW is there a pre-reg count? I didn’t see it online this year.

I am also wondering how long in advance you would need to show up for a seat in the accessibility seating section.

As per the schedule there's a line up time that starts at 4:30. I would assume that if you want to ensure that you can see the concert, your best bet would be to come by the area at around 4:29~4:45. Otakon is usually very good at turning away people who show up too early for lineup or at least saying "just because you're here this early doesn't mean you're a part of the line", so given it's a concert and not a signing or something, I wouldn't worry about showing up earlier than that. But definitely, imo, don't show up later than that if you can help it.

Sadly I'm not sure about accessability seating- hopefully staff can come in and clear that up (and correct me on anything I got wrong).

Edited by Tachibana

When Otakon staff turn you away - ignore - if I didn’t ignore and didn’t stand my ground I wouldn’t have seen Yoko Kano...

What matters here is capacity - does the main event room hold 2,000... more? I don’t think Otakon will break 25k this year... I don’t understand why they don’t post capacity online for planning purposes..

2 hours ago, Generic878 said:

I don’t understand why they don’t post capacity online for planning purposes..

I can tell you why. Until those seats are physically placed in the hall we don't have a solid capacity. We have a guess, but nothing definite. The capacity I knew as fact yesterday was different than what ended up working out, I took one look at the layout and know it changed slightly. One of the first things I planned in the morning was counting the chairs and setting up the room for the day. That is when we will have a true final count. 

• Like 1

What I love is the " No video, no photography" and no video monitors or webcast so you can't even experience the show secondhand!!  And the BIG hall next door which is completely empty!!

Mmm... Otakon never broadcasts their concerts or anime or movie premieres- basically, any of their performances or videos. This is nothing new. Most anime cons don't broadcast events, and those that do keep it to industry panels. You wanna see the concert? Come see it. If you aren't able to that stinks, but such is how contracts work, especially with  such strict people as Square Enix. I'm sure there will be another chance to see Distant Worlds in the DC area sometime!

I also kinda suspect the shape of a single ballroom with it's cieling might've been better for the acoustics than two. The wrong room shape can make even an amazingly well practiced orchestra sound a lot different.

An additional viewing room like I believe previous musical guests have had would have definitely been nice too. I got in fine by showing up right at 4:30 but I'd not be surprised if some people who showed up more towards 5:30 missed out in spite of the schedule specifying a specific lineup time. Something to think about.

It was a great concert though. I'm grateful Otakon was able to book such an impressive thing. 

9 hours ago, Tachibana said:

I also kinda suspect the shape of a single ballroom with it's cieling might've been better for the acoustics than two. The wrong room shape can make even an amazingly well practiced orchestra sound a lot different.

You can test that theory tomorrow with their second concert ;) 

• Haha 1

On 8/10/2018 at 7:25 PM, WackyBanana said:

What I love is the " No video, no photography" and no video monitors or webcast so you can't even experience the show secondhand!!  And the BIG hall next door which is completely empty!!

If we had had something going on in the second room, the sound would have bled through the wall and ruined the feel of the concert.  Trust me, there were events RIGHT before that, and events RIGHT after that, in that room.

How about the giant camera stands in the middle of the room? Was it really not possible to put them in the back? Camera lenses can zoom in, but my eyeballs can't, nor can they go X-Ray

34 minutes ago, robotzor said:

How about the giant camera stands in the middle of the room? Was it really not possible to put them in the back? Camera lenses can zoom in, but my eyeballs can't, nor can they go X-Ray

Cameras can only zoom a certain amount, it's not an infinite amount of zoom capability. The main point of the cameras is image magnification, which is those side screens. Their placement so that the video people can get clear shots with the ability to zoom as far in as needed, and if you've ever attended the masquerade, you know they sometimes have to zoom in far enough to find a potato on the floor.