Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
F00LY

Voice Actors After Dark Cancelled

Recommended Posts

Otakon decides to cancel one of its largest draws panelwise less than 24 hours before con start with 0 explanation.

Bold move. Disappointing it wasnt even replaced with more adult content, but rather another run of the mill borinf Q&A. Any ideas why?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been waiting for an answer to this. Just tweeted to them so hopefully someone will answer. There are at least 3 facebook posts about it from people. 

Someone suggested no interest from guests so that would make sense but why put it on the schedule if no one was interested in attending? If I remember right Todd Haberkorn and J Michael Tatum were the ones who started it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wasn't going to go since there were other panels I wanted to attend, but wow. Its such a huge deal every year!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't remember the last time Otakon didn't have this panel. Feels like they had it every year since I've been attending (2004). Although in year's past I haven't been able to even go to this panel because it's always mobbed and arguably the most popular 18+ panel.

I'm most likely assuming it was canceled because the guests didn't want to do the panel this year or there was some type of schedule conflict. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no idea if this was the reason for the cancellation, but multiple voice actors have to agree to do it, first and foremost. In the #MeToo era, the risk of inadvertently saying something offensive in the attempt at humor can be used against them in the court of public opinion. Events like "Voice Actors After Dark" cancelling may be an example of voice actors believing it's safer to stick to scripts than trying to be funny off-the-cuff and risk ruining their career. Again, I have no idea if this was the reasoning behind the cancellation. Just a supposition on my part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Fadamor said:

I have no idea if this was the reason for the cancellation, but multiple voice actors have to agree to do it, first and foremost. In the #MeToo era, the risk of inadvertently saying something offensive in the attempt at humor can be used against them in the court of public opinion. Events like "Voice Actors After Dark" cancelling may be an example of voice actors believing it's safer to stick to scripts than trying to be funny off-the-cuff and risk ruining their career. Again, I have no idea if this was the reasoning behind the cancellation. Just a supposition on my part.

...seriously? You want to blame #MeToo for this? That's pretty disgusting.

Edited by windseeker
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah. Ahem.

It's clearly because LAVA After Dark, tonight, is filling the exact same niche (all three members of LAVA are VAs). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doublepost because I can't edit.

Also possible people in charge of Guidebook and the Schedule messed up. I noticed several VA names show up under the VA After Dark panel and found that strange since it's always sort of meant to be a secret as to who shows up. And to be honest all the names I saw seem like the kinda folks who'd be up for some goofy R-rated questions off the record. But then because the names were put out, to be safe and fair to them, the panel was changed. Might just be the names were put up before the panel title got swapped out though.

Either way even if it's not Otakon run but guest run, there was an effective VA After Dark anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"I have no idea what the real reason was for the cancellation so I'm going to just project my own personal biases and use this convenient opportunity to complain about them without any evidence that the thing I hate was even tangentially involved."

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tachibana said:

Ah. Ahem.

It's clearly because LAVA After Dark, tonight, is filling the exact same niche (all three members of LAVA are VAs). 

Whats that? I didn't see that on the schedule.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, razisgosu said:

Whats that? I didn't see that on the schedule.

As per Guidebook and the online schedule

Quote
Friday, August 10, 2018
10:45 PM - 12:15 AM

Featured Events (Level 3 Ballroom C)

LAVA After Dark [G][18+]

Max Mittleton, Ray Chase, Robbie Daymond

Doesn't say anything else, but I guess, that's all you really need. 

On a second thought I suppose that also puts my theory about the "listing the names" down the gutter. So it's probably just those three were the only ones who were game and already planned to do such a panel. But I'll do enough of that theorizing. If the staff want to share what happened, they will, but for now, there was a VA After Dark panel and I know for a fact the online schedules were updated to reflect that, so, yeah. Perhaps Otakon should've mentioned such a panel being on Friday even if it wasn't their personal one, sure, but beyond that I'm not sure what more they could've done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, windseeker said:

...seriously? You want to blame #MeToo for this? That's pretty disgusting.

I believe you can attribute a cause for something without turning it into a "blame" for something. Yes I realize the #MeToo movement covers more issues than just what people say to or about others, but that aspect of it IS a part of the movement's points that they are trying to make. People all over the public spectrum (except for Trump, of course) have re-examined their tendency to speak/write/tweet without putting a lot of thought into what they are about to convey now that people have been digging back years to uncover embarrassing comments and exposing them to make the originator look bad. (just ask Trea Turner) People watching what they say is not a bad thing and therefore the #MeToo movement is also not a bad thing if it gets people to do this self-editing before putting things out there. I notice even you edited your comment after posting it. Not quite as admirable as self-editing before you posted it, but still commendable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Fadamor said:

I believe you can attribute a cause for something without turning it into a "blame" for something. Yes I realize the #MeToo movement covers more issues than just what people say to or about others, but that aspect of it IS a part of the movement's points that they are trying to make. People all over the public spectrum (except for Trump, of course) have re-examined their tendency to speak/write/tweet without putting a lot of thought into what they are about to convey now that people have been digging back years to uncover embarrassing comments and exposing them to make the originator look bad. (just ask Trea Turner) People watching what they say is not a bad thing and therefore the #MeToo movement is also not a bad thing if it gets people to do this self-editing before putting things out there. I notice even you edited your comment after posting it. Not quite as admirable as self-editing before you posted it, but still commendable.

I edited my comment due to a mispelling, actually, but that's a pretty weak insult attempt regardless.

The quote above in respinse to yours sums things up pretty well:

12 hours ago, Dostovei Illuminas said:

"I have no idea what the real reason was for the cancellation so I'm going to just project my own personal biases and use this convenient opportunity to complain about them without any evidence that the thing I hate was even tangentially involved."

Also, you were wrong to begin with :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my friends knows a staff person who asked someone higher up and the reason they were told is there weren't enough guests interested in doing the panel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The panel probably shouldn't have been on the schedule without bodies to want to do it. Just food for thought. If Otakon thought they had bodies and those bodies backed out then Otakon's not to blame. But I think Otakon is willing to take the PR hit than potentially call out guests.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only thing I will say if something offends you, DON'T GO!! Don't ruin it for everybody else!!! We were so pissed that someone must have complained about the panel so they cancelled it!! What else could it be??!!

Edited by Marajsky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am pretty sure it was cancelled because they didn’t have enough voice actors that wanted to do it. I doubt anyone complained. They can’t exactly complain about something that hasn’t happened and it’s not like Voice Actors After Dark is specific on what topics are going to be discussed beforehand 

 

But a lot of panels seemed to be cancelled last minute. Another panel I went to today (Yuri on Ice discussed by a figure skater) was also cancelled last minute. Maybe I just had bad luck but out of 4 panels I went to 2 were cancelled. That’s 50%. 

Edited by Kirarakim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

VAAD was pretty much an annual Otakon staple so they probably automatically inserted it into the schedule by default, thinking they would find out the participants as the convention arrived. If no voice actors felt like doing it, the only thing you can do is cancel the panel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/10/2018 at 11:05 AM, Fadamor said:

I have no idea if this was the reason for the cancellation, but multiple voice actors have to agree to do it, first and foremost. In the #MeToo era, the risk of inadvertently saying something offensive in the attempt at humor can be used against them in the court of public opinion

I can sort of see this as being a reason why. Last year's panel got a little too political for me. 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NOTE: I am speaking NOT as a staffer in this thread as I am in no way part of the decision process. Again, this is solely my guesswork.

From what I can guess with the list of voice actors, didn't some of them become affiliated with Disney? If that's so, Disney I know mandates anyone affiliated with them not engage in certain types of behavior to maintain the family friendly experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know Todd usually does these panels, but I can totally see with the current political and social climate them not wanting to do it.  Hopefully we'll get an official answer soon enough, but I'm willing to believe it really was just no one, or not enough, individuals wanting to do it.  

What was LAVA? I saw it on the schedule a bit later, but it didn't say what it was. Was it actually equivalent to VAAD? I can't imagine it was, or else they wouldn't have renamed it.  They've run VAAD in past years with only 2-3 guests, so it can't be that it wasn't enough guests to keep the naming convention, if so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like, the LAVA thing wasn't con-run. It was by the three voice actors who comprise LAVA (Max Mittleman, Robbie Daymond, and Ray Chase). So it'd be a bit... redundant of the three of them having TWO panels that are essentially the same thing. And it may be it was only those three who would wanna do such a thing. I personally didn't attend though, so it'd be great if anyone who did could possibly let us know if it was the same sort of questions and answers as you'd get at VAAD, or if the 18+ was for different reasons.

I will say the replacement for VAAD in its slot was... pretty much VAAD but PG-13 instead of R. And honestly it was a lot funnier than last year's, which is saying something given last year's was great!

... since it WASN'T R-rated stuff though, uh, are we allowed to speak of its contents? Or is that still verboten? Because man. :lol:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LAVA After Dark really needed a better description on the schedule besides the 3 names.

LAVA (Loud, Annoying, and Very Annoying) is the comedy troupe starring starring Ray Chase, Robbie Daymond, and Max Mittelman. Together, they perform silly improv skits, play games, and show off embarrassing videos from their early careers. It was a really fun time, but I only knew what it was beforehand because I looked them up and found the website. I wish more people could have know what it was and that the schedule better indicated what was happening.

http://www.lavatheshow.com

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh so they're ... actually a comedy group together? I thought they were just grouping themselves as voice actors. That's really cool!

Then, yes, this boils down to a really poor schedule (not poor SCHEDULING, the schedule itself) this year. Especially if they came AS LAVA and not as individual guests as ALL of Otakon's messaging implied.

Edited by Tachibana

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/9/2018 at 6:21 PM, Omiko said:

I've been waiting for an answer to this. Just tweeted to them so hopefully someone will answer. There are at least 3 facebook posts about it from people. 

Someone suggested no interest from guests so that would make sense but why put it on the schedule if no one was interested in attending? If I remember right Todd Haberkorn and J Michael Tatum were the ones who started it.

Nope, our Voice Actors After Dark began in 2004 with Richard Epcar, luci Christian, Chuck Huber, Chris Sabat, nd Chris Patton, IIRC, asking on Friday night if they could just goof off in an empty panel room, and we had one. I don’t think either Todd or Tatum were on the scene yet.

Over the years, participation has been entirely voluntary, and many of the guests have developed their own versions, while others tend to shy away from it because they don’t want YouTube showing clips of them saying something that could cost them work. It’s also occasionally an issue when actors opt in, because some agents get cranky about it. No cue precisely what happened this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2018 at 1:50 PM, Krabstarr said:

LAVA After Dark really needed a better description on the schedule besides the 3 names.

This is a problem I've been bringing up a ton this year, but in general for years.  Otakon, I presume, let's panelists right their own descriptions.  This means like 75% of them are inside jokes or literally tell you nothing about it.  It's even worse, when it's a guest panel that presumably Otakon is in charge of like this, and they can't be bothered to write anything but the people's names.  No idea if it's comedy, a Q&A, a skit, anything.

Don't even get me started on how their panel system works either. [F+], a panel by a featured presenter. Which of our 6-12 featured presenters is it? Show up and find out! :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×