Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Clutch

No 25th Anniversary?

Pretty much. I've been saying it for a while now that for what's typically a pretty significant milestone anniversary, this year was god awful compared to 2013s 20th anniversary.

25 is a pretty good number worth celebrating, or at least mentioning in the promotion of the event, however I don't recall hearing mention of it once until closing ceremonies, which had graphics commemorating 25 years of Otakon.  It seems like a missed opportunity.  That said, I felt like this year did a fairly good job adhering to the mecha theme, although, there definitely could have been some improvement as far as featured presenters along those lines. *COUGH COUGH*  :P

Yes! Thank you! I had more expectations for year 25 because they did some pretty awesome things for year 20, (one of only 2 years I had to miss since 2007... ) so I kept waiting for some sort of announcement leading up to the con. Then nothing. And there was very little acknowledgement of it at all during the con itself. Only one small mention at closing ceremonies.

Tbh it strikes me as very odd, especially since they made such a big thing out of year 20. And since that is a huge marketing opportunity to hype ppl up. So, tbh, it kinda strikes me as if there wasn't enough confidence about this year's line up? Idk. :(

Though I did have a great con, the miss of not properly celebrating year 25 was one underwhelming note.

I think they're still getting a feel for the new location and adding an extra detail like a 25th celebration on top could complicate things. 

It all comes down to what we want to celebrate.  While this was the 25th Otakon, it would only be the 24th anniversary of Otakon. 

2 hours ago, The Eva Monkey said:

25 is a pretty good number worth celebrating, or at least mentioning in the promotion of the event, however I don't recall hearing mention of it once until closing ceremonies, which had graphics commemorating 25 years of Otakon.  

There were supposed to be more of those graphics during opening ceremonies, but things happen, so we weren't able to get them up on screens for seating :(