Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Something Clever

Otakon stop being stupid

This is not someone upset at otakon venting.  This is a rant by a consecutive 13 year attendee who would rather not have stupid choices made by otakon be its death.

The simple fact is otakon needs to be far more transparent with behind the scenes info.  It's not hard to communicate info nowadays but ota almost refuses to do that to spite itself and rather have people be mad and not wanna go anymore.  Random announcements on facebook trying to be cute or relaying useless information isnt what people want.

i have trouble understanding why a con with such experience acts like they dont know what there doing half the time.  otakon isnt trying to make a profit so i cant figure out why they cant communicate with us about anything.  if there was a explanation its not easy to find at all.

From the beginning of this year it took FOREVER to get any info about the hotels or even a statement.  And even then the statement was along the lines of were working on it
No explanation as to why the marriot wasnt used at all this year.
Dbz panel being cancelled which is just inexcusable that the promo for it was played on every tv and you just went with a oh its cancelled now leave.
the my hero academia panel just flat out disappearing
cancelling the voice actors after dark with once again no real explanation.
And so on

And so on

There is no real source of information at all for anything otakon does unless you get the i heard it from a guy who knows a guy or have to search the internet and maybe youll find a announcement but no explanation as to why.  Otakon has serious history and should be using that to its advantage by talking to the fans and asking them to be understanding.  Instead of just shrugging its shoulders have at least one person in charge of just keeping people updated on any big changes or events or something.

all it takes is one tweet and people will be far less mad but no for whatever reason you would rather get everyone upset.  And when you do tell us something we have the bare effing minimum of information.  And there is plenty of competition now that in alot of cases have more appealing stuff for people.  And otakon is still acting like its just them and they can get away with mistakes like this.  In new york there is 3 anime cons now when just a few years ago there was nothing. one that is usually a few weeks after ota and one is october and another in november.

Morty said it best  Get your ---- together

I assumed the marriot wasn't used since attendance numbers don't really justify it yet. But yeah, more clear communication in general would be nice.

To be blunt, there are a lot of things we can't elaborate on due to our industry partnerships and other internal factors when it comes to things like certain events being cancelled. If we don't explain something, it's not because we like keeping you in the dark, there are other factors at play that prevent us from doing so.

Overall though, we dropped the ball on a lot communication wise this year, and I sincerely apologise for that as it was inexcusable. We appreciate your feedback, and we will try to do better.