Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ueda

Otakon 2018: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Adding to the smartphone discussion:

Though I work as a PC tech and keep a school's tech running, I'm a bit of a Luddite when it comes to my own tech. I don't upgrade my computer until the I either run it into the ground or it's so old that current tech cripples it. I had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the smartphone world.

My current phone plan runs about $90/month for two people. We have two smartphones for free with a 2-year contract and 4GB of data. The plan also has rollover, which means whatever data we don't use is rolled over to the next month. We both barely use 1GB, so the rollover is great for conventions where we have heavy data usage. I often use my cell phone as a wireless hot spot (because the convention center and hotel wireless often sucks) and use GPS to navigate unfamiliar areas, which can eat a lot of data.

I use about 60-70gigs of cell data amonth on the low just me and I have 2 phones on my account

Seeing as I drive for a rideshare service I had to switch to an unlimited data plan (the phone is constantly sending my location to the rideshare service via the internet). As a consequence I didn't even pay attention to the amount of data that was being used by Guidebook.