Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mellow-osity

Pics!

Again, my cammie was a real busy bee this Otakon, with again over 200 super sparkly snaps to ogle over!   As always with my pictures, NO resharing or downloading without my permission!!

FRIDAY Fotos

SATURDAY Fotos

SUNDAY Fotos

45 minutes ago, CocoFaerie said:

Again, my cammie was a real busy bee this Otakon, with again over 200 super sparkly snaps to ogle over!   As always with my pictures, NO resharing or downloading without my permission!!

FRIDAY Fotos

SATURDAY Fotos

SUNDAY Fotos

Omg, the Free! cosplayer with the body pillows made me crack up! :lol:

This was the first time I spent hours upon hours at photo shoots.  I've always been wandering around and throwing my money at vendors.  I decided since this year barely had any guest I wanted to see I would focus on my photography.  3 days and over 2000 photos.  Still going through them and editing them.

Me photos

Tales of Series photoshoot photos

Fate Series (Friday) photoshoot photos

Final Fantasy (Friday) photoshoot photos

Fate Series photoshoot photos at the Aniplex USA booth

Persona 5 photoshoot photos at the Aniplex USA booth

Overwatch (Saturday) photoshoot photos

Persona 5-only 3pm Saturday photoshoot photos

Fate Series (Saturday) photoshoot photos

Also, I uploaded videos to my YouTube channel with the Persona 5 the Animation Steals Otakon panel, the Sword Art Online Summer Festival 2018 event, Todd Haberkorn's Sunday Panel, Bryce Papenbrook's Sunday panel, and the full cosplay Masquerade Contest (still pending YouTube processing)

And finally, my con report for this convention

On 8/14/2018 at 4:37 PM, CocoFaerie said:

FRIDAY Fotos

SATURDAY Fotos

SUNDAY Fotos

Your photos, your rules, but these are all just random ass hall photos. When I saw that disclaimer I was expecting practice shots or something. What's up with the disclaimer? Just curious as it seems like there has to be something behind it, lol

Edit : Missing letters

No one got the proposal shot during the Saturday Fate shoot?  Mine came out blury cause I was in the midst of turning off my camera that I set my shutter to a slower setting.  

4 hours ago, F00LY said:

Your photos, your rules, but these are all just random ass hall photos. When I saw that disclaimer I was expecting practice shots or something. What's up with the disclaimer? Just curious as it seems like there has to be something behind it, lol

I don't like my pics being shared or taken from my albums unless someone asks for a certain pic er two.  That's why the disclaimer is there.

I passed a cosplayer on Friday morning and asked them for a photo. After I took the picture they asked for a business card. I was completely confused, and put my camera away for the rest of the convention. :unsure:

1 hour ago, Clutch said:

I passed a cosplayer on Friday morning and asked them for a photo. After I took the picture they asked for a business card. I was completely confused, and put my camera away for the rest of the convention. :unsure:

They want a business card so they know where to go to find the photo you took of them online or how to reach you for a copy of it otherwise, then they can also contact you to hire you as a photographer if they wish....many people who take pics nowadays are budding amateur or even professional cosplay photographers, many of whom present a business card automatically with each photo taken to promote themselves. Some cosplayers forget some people, like myself, are hobby photographers who shoot only for their own enjoyment and not to make money or 'get their name out there'.

Maybe I better get a small box of business cards just in case I am asked...

29 minutes ago, w-deremer said:

Maybe I better get a small box of business cards just in case I am asked...

We did this, just for fun, for our instagram this year! While most of the time it went (1) Take photo (2) Smile and thank them (3) Walk away remembering we totally forgot, it was cool in the cases where the people told us they'd follow, or even better, gave us one in return! It's so hard to remember who is who at cons that this winds up being great for those quick interactions you enjoy.

On 8/16/2018 at 8:13 PM, Clutch said:

That's kind of unfortunate that you didn't get any photos after just one person. I don't think they meant any harm. 

Here are my Otakon 2018 photos~ Link to Gallery 

I was running around as Fem!Luigi on Thursday, Sakuya (Touhou Project) and Rikka (Chuunibyou) on Friday, Sharo (Gochiusa) and Osana (Yandere Sim) on Saturday, and as Maya Fey (Ace Attorney) on Sunday. 

These are photos I took at Otakon 2018~ Feel free to reupload/share! If you want to credit me, feel free to credit me on Instragram @sunfloradesuu 

On 8/16/2018 at 3:21 PM, F00LY said:

Here's the TL;DR. Unless the photo says that you can copy it, don't risk taking it and using it on your own publicly available medium. Really, you shouldn't make any copies; but, nobody will find out if you made our phone wallpaper something.

Technically speaking, copyrights do not need to be explicitly stated in order to be enforced in a court of law. All photos are the copyrighted property of whoever takes the image, and they have any and all rights to restrict their usage any way they want.

And, for $39 or so, you can electronically submit batches of hundreds of photos to the copyright office, and this can be done 90 days after initial publication. Not registering with the copyright office doesn't prohibit you from making copyright claims; but, courts tend to be much more liberal on the financial awards. A claim for a non-registered item will likely result in being awarded fair compensation for the image. If you would have charged $200 for the shoot, you will probably be awarded $200. If you registered, the sky's the limit on statutory damage awards  (up to $150,000 per claim).

https://corporate.findlaw.com/intellectual-property/are-punitive-damages-available-under-the-copyright-act.html

https://www.copyright.gov/registration/

The funny thing is, I know all of this stuff, and yet, 99% of everything I post online, I post as creative commons with the only restrictions being citation, share-alike (if you make your own modifications, whatever derivative works need to maintain this license), and a non-commercial use only.

On 8/16/2018 at 3:31 PM, Hentai said:

No one got the proposal shot during the Saturday Fate shoot?  Mine came out blury cause I was in the midst of turning off my camera that I set my shutter to a slower setting.  

Dang, did this happen at the very end of the shoot? I had to bail about 10 minutes before the end of the shoot to run to my next event.

On 8/20/2018 at 12:59 PM, dragonmastr said:

Dang, did this happen at the very end of the shoot? I had to bail about 10 minutes before the end of the shoot to run to my next event.

Yeah. On the final shot the "organizer" forgot what he was called, came out and said "we have one final request. It's a special one so if we could please have Shiro and Sakura come out and pose" the crowd "awww" and as Shiro bent on one of his knees and pulled out that ring we all went wild

At the risk of cross-posting:

#Otakon photos AND VIDEOS are done, lots of #cosplay and the #masquerade. Will be sharing some to instagram, as well, for tagging purposes.
http://piwigo.orobouros.net/index.php?/category/435

700+ photos, 30+ videos.

On 8/16/2018 at 8:13 PM, Clutch said:

Odd, my brother does do photos semi professionally and he's never been asked for a business card at Otakon in all the years he's been there.

On 9/3/2018 at 9:30 PM, windseeker said:

Odd, my brother does do photos semi professionally and he's never been asked for a business card at Otakon in all the years he's been there.

It's becoming more of a thing. In my experience, it's just that people want to know where to look to find the pictures you take. I've never paid too much attention to when it happens; but, I personally feel like I've been asked for a card almost entirely when I show them the back of the camera preview of the picture, they see that it's better than the average snapshot (still a snapshot, just better than average [I mean, remember, by definition, half of the population should be below average in any field:P]) And they want to be able to get their own copy of it.

2 hours ago, bobwill said:

It's becoming more of a thing. In my experience, it's just that people want to know where to look to find the pictures you take. I've never paid too much attention to when it happens; but, I personally feel like I've been asked for a card almost entirely when I show them the back of the camera preview of the picture, they see that it's better than the average snapshot (still a snapshot, just better than average [I mean, remember, by definition, half of the population should be below average in any field:P]) And they want to be able to get their own copy of it.

i am more 'old school' in my photo-taking... I don't show them the picture on the screen (even though I have a DSLR) because 1) I don't ask them to pose any special way or try to take 'artistic' photos (but more power to those who do hold professional cosplay shoots), I just take personal snapshots to enjoy myself, plus it is likely I stopped on my way somewhere or stopped them on their way somewhere so we need to take the photo and move on 2) I do not post any of the photos I take online and 3) I am not looking to 'get my name out there' or make money. Back in the day, you could just take a photo and that was it, you moved on, the subject of the photo never asked for a copy or anything (then again, in the film days, getting them a copy was way harder)...