ChaosFinaleX

How was your hotel?

I did not see this thread up anywhere yet, so... how was your Otakon 2018 hotel? I stayed at the Renissance this year and I really liked it! The room was spacious although the bathroom was small. There was a fridge in the room though! Also, free Wi-Fi. I found check in to be quick and easy. The elevators were also pretty quick. Check out was easy too. It's also very close to the convention center and some of the best food I've had in awhile in DC. Matchbox and Capital Burger for the win! I also got room service each day and when I would come back from the convention, the bed was made and fresh towels folded under the vanity.

• Like 2

Stayed at the Embassy Suites in a king suite. It was pretty nice. Close to the convention center, had a pool and hot tub in the hotel, complimentary breakfast and afternoon spirits bar. Price was pretty solid too. Parking was apparently $50 a night and vallet only though, so if you bring your own car its probably a different situation from a pricing perspective.

Have to say, pretty great

Missed out on the Marquis but got the Renaissance instead 

After years of the Hilton in Baltimore and having stayed in the Marquis last year I'd grown accoustomed to the shear convince of being in the con connected hotel 

I now had to go back to the days of actually leaving the convention center to get to my hotel, dark times 

But it was no big deal

It was still super close and was not an issue in the least to get back and forth from the con to the hotel and visa versa

The room was very nice and checking in and out was super easy

I really couldn't say I had any issue with it at all, and while I will still try for the Marquis next year to keep up the con connected hotel lifestyle I've grown accoustmend to I wouldn't hesitate to go back there again 

Were such a hung possible, the Marquis and the Renneisance would be my co-first choices for Otakon hotels    

I stayed in the Marquis this year and it was amazing. I don't think I even stepped outside Friday. ^_^ The staff are super nice and the hotel is just beautiful. There were even little goodie boxes in the hotel room with hi-chew. It is super pricey though. I stayed in a pretty packed room this year (6 people). I usually only go with one other person but they couldn't come this year, so I don't think it'd be worth it to split with just 2 people - I think at least 4 would be manageable. 

The previous year I stayed in an AirBnB and it was cheap, but I really missed the conveniences and comfort of a hotel. 

First year at the Marquis

Even with the bag/prop check issues you can't beat the tunnel.

No bath but really nice shower with good ventilation/little to no steaming up. Awful intense bathroom lighting though. Pretty spacious rooms. Comfy plush beds. Pretty Firm armchair/footrest. Charge Ports/outlets everywhere. Good Wifi. Minifridge + onecup slot keurig dealy. Similar to but a little better than the Gaylord's Rooms (fingers crossed they'll renovate to something like this eventually) If you're trying to cram a bunch of people in on a budget I'd stay here.

Elevators were hardly ever crowded (never had to go up to go down) but if the trend continues that may change.

No pool sadly. But a really beautiful lobby with lots of seating for small meetups & shoots.

We went to high velocity for dinner one night & drinks another. Nice con deals and good food & beer selection.

Their starbucks had crowds in waves. Nothing that terrible. Even when crowded incredibly fast & good service.

Valet may have been upcharged for the con. My account kept showing little micro charges all weekend and they said it was they could only process the valet on my room bill in increments of 50... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Valet also wasn't available for bag loading even early on Sunday morning. Best to do it on Saturday night.

Bag Check was a bit of a mess. Long line and it looked some were allowed to cut by using the upstairs elevator. Bags were left pretty out in the open and un(der)attended. Saw a post on twitter about a person's checked bags getting lost/stolen...Definitely loading up the car on Saturday next year.

I don't know what they expected. I'm not sure if the room block was smaller last year but I feel like they'll be changing a bit around next year.

Edited by Anti`

43 minutes ago, Anti` said:

First year at the Marquis

Even with the bag/prop check issues you can't beat the tunnel.

No bath but really nice shower with good ventilation/little to no steaming up. Awful intense bathroom lighting though. Pretty spacious rooms. Comfy plush beds. Pretty Firm armchair/footrest. Charge Ports/outlets everywhere. Good Wifi. Minifridge + onecup slot keurig dealy. Similar to but a little better than the Gaylord's Rooms (fingers crossed they'll renovate to something like this eventually) If you're trying to cram a bunch of people in on a budget I'd stay here.

Elevators were hardly ever crowded (never had to go up to go down) but if the trend continues that may change.

No pool sadly. But a really beautiful lobby with lots of seating for small meetups & shoots.

We went to high velocity for dinner one night & drinks another. Nice con deals and good food & beer selection.

Their starbucks had crowds in waves. Nothing that terrible. Even when crowded incredibly fast & good service.

Valet may have been upcharged for the con. My account kept showing little micro charges all weekend and they said it was they could only process the valet on my room bill in increments of 50... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Valet also wasn't available for bag loading even early on Sunday morning. Best to do it on Saturday night.

Bag Check was a bit of a mess. Long line and it looked some were allowed to cut by using the upstairs elevator. Bags were left pretty out in the open and un(der)attended. Saw a post on twitter about a person's checked bags getting lost/stolen...Definitely loading up the car on Saturday next year.

I don't know what they expected. I'm not sure if the room block was smaller last year but I feel like they'll be changing a bit around next year.

Yeah I argued with them about the valet I've never seen tax charged for parking and I'm sure it wasn't charged to me last year

Stayed at Embassy Suites and LOVED it. Loved having the door separating the rooms. Complimentary breakfast & snacks/drinks. Had a hot tub and a small pool which isn't very common for hotels around that area. Had microwaves and a refrigerator although our fridge made some odd noises. I plan on booking a room there again just in case I end up going next year.

2 hours ago, Anti` said:

I saw that on my way to the convention center on Sunday. I wasn't even a guest at the Marquis. There were so many bags just right out in the open. So many! I was seriously amazed. I've seen other hotels put them in dirty rooms if/when possible. Like even if they had to be out due to lack of space, maybe not somewhere that the general public has access to? Yikes. Or at least have multiple employees watching them.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mellow-osity said:

There were even little goodie boxes in the hotel room with hi-chew. It is super pricey though.

Correction! This was actually from one of my awesome roomies! ;) 

I put flat papers above a flat layer of things in my closed center console at.l the Marquis. I checked it when the valet brought the car... and it'd been rooted thru. A 50 mile drive didn't shift it... but parking mixed everything wildly? Really? Sticky fingered valets found nothing to take at least.

Renaissance. Stayed here due to missing the Marquis (set alarms, kids), status, and reviews from last year.

• Did not seemed decked out for the con like reviewers from last year mentioned
  • All wifi is included in con rate, so if you have gold or higher status, know you aren't getting special internet. Wifi was consistently awful in the 800 block, 500kbps or less
  • Managed to snag a Jr Suite 2 double sofabed upgrade. Just because you book a single bed, remember, if you do some legwork you can get some nice perks! 
    • Great room for the size, especially for a convention center hotel
    • Tons of towels from the housekeeping which was perfect for my cosplaying sisters
    • Sofa bed was extremely taco'd, but I was too tired to care each night
  • Breakfast and lounge are excellent if you are so fortunate enough to get credits for them. Otherwise, breakfast buffet absolutely not worth price of admission
  • Proximity to con can't be beat as runner up to con hotel. If you can't stand loud atrium-style hotels, this is the one you want

Stayed at Marquis. I was there last year. 

It's a wonderful hotel. Rooms are spacious, and this year it felt like we had no issue getting 2 doubles (last year there was a bit of an issue getting them and we ended up with a king+rollaway, and I know others weren't as lucky). 

The staff are wonderful and handled a kind of complex rooming situation on our part very well (one person chose to extend the stay in just one of our two rooms worth of people) and the room service was very accommodating.

Biggest gripe is that "because of traffic" they decided to only allow Valet and taxis into the main pull-off zone in the front of the hotel on Sunday. My husband was unable to bring our car through the place we were dropped off (and last year we were picked up there too) so we were told to take our no less then 6 huge suitcases over to the other side of the hotel to be picked up.

That should 100% be conveyed to people before they assume. If you are changing things up from the norm you should have staff notifying people or signage made. 

The location for having bags held was atrocious. They put them in the hallway near the tunnel that people are still trying to pass through to get to the convention center on Sunday. There seemed to be plenty of unused rooms in the M1 level so I'm confused why they made that choice to have them semi-unattended in the hallway. At least in a room you could somewhat secure them.

Still, the staff is great, the location is amazing, room very tidy and the price is fine since we're sharing rooms. Hope to be there again next year.

I still am going to complain about the noise, but it's less the hotel's fault and the fact that for some reason Otakon con-goers can't be mindful of each other after midnight. e_e

Edited by michira
  • Like 1

Hampton Inn

Room was clean, adequately spacious, and included fridge, microwave, and coffee machine. Bathroom had a bathtub. The 2 bed rooms have Queen beds, as opposed to Doubles in some other hotels. It was also quiet and I had no issues with any of the other guests in the hotel. The staff was friendly enough, though there was not really any special Otakon treatment.
Other amenities include pool, whirlpool, and gym.
One of the greatest benefits is the hot breakfast area included with your stay at a Hampton Inn. This includes scrambled eggs, a rotating prepared starch (roasted herbed diced potatoes 2 of the days, french toast) and a rotating meat (sausage patties one day, sausage gravy another, sausage links the last. They've had bacon before during a different stay at a Hampton Inn, but not these days, i guess). Also available are waffle irons to make your own waffle, various fresh fruit options, breads (toast, bagels, biscuits), and pastries. Cereal, yogurt, hard boiled eggs , and various juice and milk options round out your breakfast experience. It's the most important meal of the day, and a great way to get fueled up for a long convention day. (Can you tell I like breakfast?)

Location wise, it is very close to the convention center (0.4 miles), and is conveniently located near Safeway (for grocery shopping needs), CVS, and is the closest Otakon booking hotel to Chinatown.

I've stayed here the past 2 years and had a pleasant experience each time. When people talk about their hotels, I don't hear as many talk about the Hampton Inn, but don't over look it when booking your next Otakon trip.

Edited by Krabstarr

I concur about the Hampton Inn. I missed getting the Marquis this time, and the Hampton was the closest one that offered 2 beds in the room, so I booked there.

I have to say it was a good move. As pointed out above, the breakfast buffet was definitely worth it (Not having to buy breakfast for 3 days for 2 people does help keep spending down.), and my brother was telling me he wanted to take his bed home because it was so comfortable. I was pleasantly surprised that the Safeway was only a block away, and it wasn't that far to get to the Metro in Chinatown. (And the baked cookies on Thursday afternoon were nice too! ^_^)

If I can't get the Marquis, I'll definitely take the Hampton. Even if I can get the Marquis, I'll look at the Hampton Inn again.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, razisgosu said:

Stayed at the Embassy Suites in a king suite. It was pretty nice. Close to the convention center, had a pool and hot tub in the hotel, complimentary breakfast and afternoon spirits bar. Price was pretty solid too. Parking was apparently $50 a night and vallet only though, so if you bring your own car its probably a different situation from a pricing perspective.

That is why you use Parking Panda/SpotHero.  They are plenty of garages you can park from Thursday-Sunday for around $40-70 total for the weekend.  Prices are usually a little lower when booking further in advance.

Edited by jeremiahs23

I stayed at the Pod hotel and really enjoyed it. Just a short walk to the con, has a walgreens next door (that somehow had toothpaste and mouthwash but no toothbrushes???), metro across the street and plenty of places to eat nearby. I got a kick out of the tiny rooms (reminded me of my stay in Tokyo earlier this year). The only thing I'd complain about was the awful water pressure.

Edited by windseeker

2 hours ago, jeremiahs23 said:

That is why you use Parking Panda/SpotHero.  They are plenty of garages you can park from Thursday-Sunday for around $40-70 total for the weekend.  Prices are usually a little lower when booking further in advance.

I parked free by having someone drop me off and come back for me Sunday :p

Stayed the Marquis. Loved it. 

Room Got lucky and got an atrium style room, so being able to people watch was great. Others with a view were friendly, waving, showing off cosplay, etc. Room was clean-ish. I found a candy under the bed that was partially stuck, but otherwise everything was really good.

Internet : Surprisingly, my internet was fast and stable. I listen to a lot of podcasts at night, so I was thrilled there was no cut-outs throwing my to data.   

Check-In, Check-Out : The check-in and check-out were fast.  Pulling in to drop my stuff off, and them holding it while I parked in the garage was a life saver.  They even did the same on Sunday when I brought my bags down and had to go pick up the car. 

Staff : The cleaning staff was amazingly friendly, didn't touch our stuff, and dealt with makeup and wig hair from last minute changes being everywhere.  Check-In/Out Staff and the people for loading/unloading were all fast and nice, too.

Hotel Movement The elevators were, somehow, slightly less problematic than last year, but that may have been luck due to being on a lower floor.  The Starbucks was always busy, but they didn't mess up the orders, unlike all of the other local SBs.    

Price : Was a bit pricey, but worth it for all the conveniences I think. Only stepped outside when I absolutely needed to for food.  Definitely gunning for Marquis 2019.

• Like 1

Stayed at the Marquis again. No problems what-so-ever. Ended up on the 4th floor overlooking the lobby. Despite being so close to everyone, never really had an issues with the noise level. Checking in and out was quick and easy. Being connected to the con was fantastic as I wore 3 different outfits in the span of 2 hours on Friday. As with last year, my only real complaint is lack of breakfast options. You're basically stuck with the hotel's severely overpriced breakfast, starbucks, or waiting until Subway opens.

The Renaissance was good as usual although the parking costs nearly killed me... 

However, I am hopeful that the change in dates for next year means we will miss the formal ball/dance held on Saturday night in the Renaissance. Having drunks scream racial epithets and profanities in the hallway at 3am is a wonderful way to interrupt a good night's sleep, especially with an infant in the room. 

Stayed at the Marquis for second time. Hotel itself was great, but I had some issues with check-in and check-out.

Background to this: I had booked a room at the Marquis myself, and friend also had booked two rooms. Friend ended up being the one to pull a big group together, so I dropped my reservations and decided to room with him. I was set to arrive first so my name was supposed to be added to the other room so that I could check in.

Fast forward to Thursday early afternoon, I get to the desk after waiting in line and my name was never added to the reservation. None of my other roomies were going to be there for another 3 hours or so. Luckily, the person who had originally booked the two rooms was 15 minutes away, so after waiting for him to show up we went through the line again and explained the situation. Turns out the hotel had not only failed to add my name to the reservation, but they took his name off it as well when he transferred it to my other friend who was in charge of the room group. So it looked like I was double SOL, but since original booker had the confirmation numbers still he was able to prove that he had booked the rooms, so the person behind the desk had to go to the back and confer with a manager on what to do.

After about a 30 minute wait, they finally come back out and announce that since both room listings had one person listed twice, they could change the one for my room to my name and let me check in that way.

Later on in the weekend on Saturday, I requested an update to the reservation for a late check-out on Monday since the rest of the group was leaving Sunday and I was going to be the only one left in the room for Monday. Was told that this would not affect my roomies and everything was all set. A few hours later, both their key cards are no longer working. Had to go back down to the front desk Sunday morning and get new key cards made so that they could grab their stuff and clear out of the room while I went off doing the tourist thing.

As far as the actual hotel itself and the accommodations, everything was top notch. But woe betide those who have unusual booking arrangements.

I stayed at the Kimpton Donovan again, after having a good experience there last year. I still think it's a good hotel to consider if you don't mind a bit of a walk every morning and night. It's about half a mile west of the convention center. The price is very reasonable if you use their "third night free" deal - the only downside is that I don't think you can get that rate too far in advance (I booked in April; I wasn't seeing the deal available for summer dates in the fall/winter).

It's a nice hotel with comfortable beds, swanky shower, A/C, etc. Free wifi too, if you're an IHG or Kimpton rewards member. The front desk was very helpful, especially when there was a bit of a mixup at check in and check out. (Definitely check your bill closely - they almost overcharged at first, maybe due to extra guest fees? but everything was sorted out in the end and I ended up paying $100 less than expected.)

There's no free breakfast, but they did have coffee in the lobby every morning, as well as complimentary wine in the early evening. There's a CVS across the street and a Starbucks, Au Bon Pain, and Le Pain Quotidien just a short walk away. Rooftop pool and bar, too, if that's your thing.

Downsides... besides the 10-15 min walk, there's no fridge in the room besides the minibar. That didn't bother me, but it would have come in handy for some people in my group. One of the elevators was out of service, which meant there was often a wait. Also, my group had some issues with room keys being deactivated when new people checked in (we all came in at different hours, so left the key cards at the front desk for pick up).

Overall, I'd definitely consider the Kimpton Donovan again for next year, unless a cheaper/better option magically appears closer to the convention center.

11 hours ago, robotzor said:

Renaissance. Stayed here due to missing the Marquis (set alarms, kids), status, and reviews from last year.

• Did not seemed decked out for the con like reviewers from last year mentioned

More than likely, this was due to the hotel also hosting two big events the same time as the con (hopefully, there won't be any events there the same time as Otakon next year so that way the anime stuff will be back).

My notes for this year:

• This year, I stayed at a side room (i.e. one that is close to where the hotel wings connect and is around the corner from the rest of the rooms). On one side, my roommate thought it was smaller this year. However, one great thing was that rather than using the main elevators, the room was very close to one of the side elevators, which meant that checking out wasn't a hassle.
  • Internet was decent enough for the main things that I needed it for at the con (i.e. playing my tablet games, posting on forums while watching Toonami on Saturday night).
  • Yeah, breakfast was kind of a bust when it came to the hotel, with me preferring to pick up a donut at the convention center instead.

Stayed at the Cambria Suites this year! I'm only able to compare it to the Renaissance since I stayed there last year.  There wasn't anything crazy good or crazy bad about it so I had to dig deep for some points haha.

Pros: 

- Room was pretty spacious.  We stayed in the King Bed Suite and had no problems fitting all our stuff and had extra room to move/ lounge around.  For the same price/ room type last year, we just had space in front of the bed and bathroom to move in the Renaissance.

- Accommodating Staff.  Towels, blankets, etc.  were always brought up promptly and the concierge reactivated our room keys at no charge to check out when we were a little behind packing the car.  Same with Renaissance.

Cons:

- Distance.  It's about a 10 minute walk because it's 2 blocks behind the convention center, meaning we had to walk all the way alongside the building to get to the main entrance.  Renaissance was a 2 minute walk in comparison.

- No local groceries.  Had to travel out to get supplies for the room.  The closest CVS/ Walgreens were in Chinatown so about 15-20 minutes away.  

Side Notes:

- Union Market was on the way to the con and THE BEST THING.  Their breakfast sandwiches were really good and so were their lunch/dinner options.  It was perfect for grabbing a quick bite on the way to and from the con.  

- They use one bar/ lounge for breakfast, lunch and dinner, so expect to go out if you want some sports bar deals, such as the ones in the marriott and renaissance.

- The shower did not have a closable door, so water would spill on the bathroom floor a lot.  But on the flipside, the Renaissance didn't have a locking bathroom door, so people could walk in when you were using it, while the Cambria bathrooms did.

13 hours ago, Dostovei Illuminas said:

Stayed at the Marquis for second time. Hotel itself was great, but I had some issues with check-in and check-out.

As far as the actual hotel itself and the accommodations, everything was top notch. But woe betide those who have unusual booking arrangements.

That's a Marriott thing. Especially with the confusion around the SPG merger, some things aren't getting taken care of. The only way to deal is to call, call, and call again before the date. Wait for different shifts so you can get independent confirmation. Record your calls to play-back for the manager when they debate you if something does fail. I've been screwed out of upgrades or rollaway requests enough (guy thought he marked it down for my room but other staffer claimed it wasn't on there) that I now do this to be 100% prepared on check in.

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:17 AM, michira said:

Stayed at Marquis. I was there last year. 

The location for having bags held was atrocious. They put them in the hallway near the tunnel that people are still trying to pass through to get to the convention center on Sunday....

Yes, the baggage check at the Marquis was a disaster.  And I was not even a victim.

It took about 15 minutes standing in line to check baggage.  Not terrible, but longer than I have ever waited before, across 18 Otakons.

But getting the bags back...

I ducked out of the Final Fantasy concert at 3:00, during the applause before the encore, because we had to get to the airport.  When I got to baggage check the line was about 15 feet long, 2 people wide.  I had about a 15 minute wait, and it took about 10 minutes for me to help them find our five bags.  Much longer than it's ever taken before, even at the Marquis last year.

But when I got done and was ready to leave about 3:30, the baggage retrieval line was all the way back to the elevator (75 feet?  100 feet?), and about 8 people wide.  Those poor people...  I'm sure that some flights were missed.

23 minutes ago, shadowspawn said:

But when I got done and was ready to leave about 3:30, the baggage retrieval line was all the way back to the elevator (75 feet?  100 feet?), and about 8 people wide.  Those poor people...  I'm sure that some flights were missed.

The good news is that with all that rain, DCA was seriously backed up all night and LGA had a ground stop, so delays were rampant.

"Good news"

I stayed at the Westin Washington D.C. City Center which was about a 10 to 15 minute walk to the convention center. I got a great deal on the rate per night that was actually cheaper than most of the other hotels that Experient offered within close vicinity of the convention center.

Check-in was quick. Got a decent sized room with a queen sized bed, with a fridge, a 50 inch tv (I was able to hook up my PlayStation 4 Pro with no problem), and in-room complimentary Wi-Fi. The room was very clean and quiet, the bed comfortable. The bathroom was of average size with a tub/shower combination (the shower head was the "rain" type).

Besides the distance to the convention center, the only other negative thing about the hotel was the price of food and drinks within the place. Breakfast buffet was like $30 (!!!) for one, a bottle of water $7 (!). It was much cheaper to get food from the outside.

Anyway, will I stay there again? Probably, if the price is right.

I also stayed at the Pod Hotel. For any extremely wide cosplay props the small space might be an issue but I brought two sets of wing and had no issues but I also was the only person in my room. Loved the full size soaps instead of the small soap bars that look disgusting in 45 minutes. They provide  ear plugs and a noise machine for the rooms next to the street (mine was actually like next to the red sign which I thought was cool) because the traffic can get a bit loud. They also have a wall panel for hooking up pretty much anything to the tv right next to the bed; I used it to connect my phone to the tv for music. 

I'm definitely looking forward to staying there again as long as I plan on A) rooming by myself or B ) not needing bulky props.

Stayed at the Renaissance! Mainly due to all the positive reviews that were here from last year. Last year we stayed at the Day's Inn, which I would NOT recommend.

-Rooms were comfortable and clean and spacious. We also had a great view of the con right out our window.

-Had mirrors both inside the bathroom and a full length outside (important when more than 1 person is getting cosplay ready at the same time!)

-We were one block from the con, facing the entrance. Shortest walk to a con I have ever had!

-Generally quiet, no issues with noise.

-Bar was open til 11 or 12 most nights.

-Check in and Check out was a BREEZE, especially with their mobile app!

-Staff was all super friendly, and the room had cute personal touches, like a letter from housekeeping introducing herself and recommending a place to eat while exploring the city.

-They had on site self parking available for $35/night. This is about as good as you expect to find anywhere else, and it is right on site. We were able to load the car Sunday morning and skip the bag check line! ;)

-They didn't offer free breakfrast (I usually like to save money that way)  however, they DID offer room delivered breakfast and coffee, at a time that you select, which we took advantage of. It was delicious (I had an egg skillet), and I am also NOT a morning person, so it really helped us start the day right. Came to about $35 for two of us each morning. WORTH IT!

-I was disappointed that it wasn't as decked out as attendees described last year, but I am seeing that they had other events going on which makes sense. Hope we catch them on a less busy time next year. They did have J Pop playing in the lobby and elevator though. :)

i honestly have no complaints. We usually try to go the cheapest route and save as much money as possible. After our horrible experience with the Days Inn last year, we decided we would spend a little more this year. We got what we paid for. Prices weren't outrageous, and can't really beat the convenience of proximity, on site self parking, and breakfast in bed!

10/10 would stay again! ^_^

• Like 1

Renaissance for the win!

I loved it last year and loved it this year. For a small family of 3 we were able to get in/out of the hotel and the convention center quickly. My plan is to go for this hotel again (when do hotels open up again . . ?)

^_^

My group stayed at the Grand Hyatt Washington this year.

The Good:

- It was a quick walk to the convention center and to various food places in the area

- Staff was very polite and made check-in/out a breeze! They also didn't give us any trouble about having five people in the room, surprisingly.

- Housekeeping was also really nice. We had the privacy doorhanger up on our room, but they happened to see us as we were leaving the room, so they asked if they we wanted anything. Kindly gave us a few extra towels <3

- Lots of elevators, so for once, we didn't have to take the stairs just to get our luggage back to the ground floor on the last day lol

-Huuuuge lobby space, plus another level under that with more couches where their meeting rooms are located, so it's easy to find a place to settle down and play board games since the rooms are too cramped for that

The Bad:

- As mentioned, the room was kind of cramped. Plus everyone's luggage, swag, shoes, cosplay gear, and other miscellany taking up what little extra space there was, we were just trying not to trip over each other.

- No continental breakfast :c

Altogether, pretty good! I do think a better room could be found for the price they charged, especially since all that extra money seems to have been used on their fancy lobby, but it's still a pretty nice hotel and I had a great experience with the staff. The one thing I'll note is that there is a Japanese restaurant named Umaya around the corner from the hotel (we could see it from our room window). Don't fall for it! The food is overpriced and nothing amazing.

• Like 1

We stayed at the Marriott Marquis like we did last year.  If you can afford it, it's worth it for the nice restaurants and then the underground tunnel directly into the convention center.  However, they faulted on getting a roll-away bed to us.  We called and they said they were all taken but then my friend used the Marriott app and whichever staff was operating that had messaged him that one would come up shortly.  In the three nights that we stayed, not once did it show up nor were we contacted about not receiving it.  Since my friend booked the room, I don't know if they sent him a survey that he would've responded accordingly.  However, I was coming 2 1/2 weeks of San Diego Comic-Con so I had already prepacked an inflatable camping pad and a sleeping bag in anticipation of a shortage of beds and I was just as comfortable.  The rooms were spacious and had a fridge I could put the bottled waters I purchased at Sam's Club so that I had something to drink away from the convention.  Plenty of outlets to plug your gadgets into to either use or recharge and the complimentary wireless was pretty fast as I was able to stream live when I needed to as well as upload pictures and video to FB, IG, etc.

Check-in was pretty good like last year although they claimed my friend had booked for a reservation starting Friday and not Thursday, which they didn't seem to hold against us.  My friend checked the app and as well, saw that it was telling him check-in was for Thursday, not Friday.

Cleaning staff was excellent and we came back to a spotless room every day (although I've gotten in the habit of leaving a tip when we leave the room each morning; you just get that much more service if you leave a $5 every day).

There's the M Lounge on the 12th floor, which was nice if you were able to make it around breakfast, lunch or dinner time to either get a full meal or a small bite or even a snack.  Also a great place to chill if you're just looking for somewhere other than the lobby, just keep in mind they do have someone manning the door with a list of guests to ensure no one is taking advantage inadvertently.  

The main lobby has great areas for cosplay pictures that the convention center doesn't have.

Parking wasn't as hectic as it was last year.  It was relatively easy to get in as well as get out and I think the valet staff were more prepared this year.  I'm not sure if they drove hard or if the angle of getting into/out of their garage was steep but my mount for my GPS and phone was moved around or looked like it might have fallen and they put it in the wrong place on my console.

Overall happy minus the issue with the secondary bed and then the hiccup with what day we were supposed to check in.

Edited by djMINWAH

I stayed at the Renaissance this year, and I have to say I really loved it. I think I confused the staff to death by booking one room from Thursday to Sunday and another from Friday to Sunday, then showing up on Thursday and trying to book one more night, though. (I had intended to share Thursday with my companions, then decided at the last minute that I didn't want to.) But the woman trying to help me out was cheerful and helpful about it and it all worked out okay. And the next day they even let me stay in the extra room I booked instead of making me check out that night, then check in on my original reservation.

I also liked that the wifi was free, and I thought it was pretty fast. I was able to log in to FFXIV and run a raid without lag or anything, so that was cool.

I liked that you could order from room service, but go down and pick it up. I don't know if that's just a thing everyone does, but any other time I've ordered room service elsewhere, they never gave me that option. Also, the food was awesome, though the room service menu didn't seem to have much, unless I missed a page or something.

The staff were all wonderful and helpful (and I may have convinced the dude working in the gift shop to attend Otakon next year. XD)

Check in and check out were pretty simple (despite the weirdness I caused, described above), and the bag check was quite painless.

My only real issue was that perhaps Starbucks hadn't informed all of their employees just how busy things were going to get, because some of the staff there had terrible attitudes at the crowds. :( On the up side, some of the staff were very nice and quite interested, asking about cosplays and whatnot.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tabris said:

On the up side, some of the staff were very nice and quite interested, asking about cosplays and whatnot.

If last year was any indication, the Renaissance definitely is interested in Otakon.

Heck, if it weren't for it hosting a couple of functions the same time as the con, the hotel probably would have been decked out with wall scrolls and posters a la last year.

Edited by TnAdct1

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Washington Plaza; which was about 0.4 miles from the convention center, a 10-15 minute walk depending. We really enjoyed our stay. Last year we were farther out so it was nice to simply walk there instead of having to relay on ubers. The room was nice; nothing extravagant. Comfy queen size bed. Nice shower/bathroom. Wifi wasn't terrible but sometimes I would have to re-log into it because it would disconnect after being out of the room all day, some times its just automatically reconnected no problem. We ate in their restaurant on Thursday and the food was actually pretty good and not to expensive. They have a pool which was nice; they have towels for you to use. Somehow I overlooked this when booking but every night the maids would come around and give you two free complimentary water bottles. If we weren't in the room, the would come in and leave them on the dresser. It was a nice treat because we didn't buy any water so it was just something I didn't have to worry about. Certainly would stay again.

Stayed at the Renaissance, but was originally booked at the Comfort Inn

+ me and my other friends from Comfort were on the same floor!
+ We kept the Comfort Inn's price
+ room was clean, bathroom was well maintained
+ close to the con
+ elevator wait and checkout line were short
+ room could be pretty well lit easily (although one of our lights seemed to be broken, but it was a more minor light)
+ mini fridge

- beds were pretty small
- wtf was up with the sliding bathroom door? It felt like I was using a public restroom without a lock or something!
- $13 a day for wifi? Seriously? We didn't use it (though the lobby at least had the decency to have free wifi). Comfort would've had free wifi, for such an ungodly expensive hotel, they can't even spot you some wifi?
- during the second night, our damn hotel phone started blaring for no damn reason at like, 2 or 3 in the morning or something. And it did it twice!
- part of why I booked with Comfort was free breakfast. Here, they gave you $20 a day, but they didn't tell me that at check in and getting all the info about it was like pulling teeth (basically, if I didn't ask the right questions, they weren't gonna give any answers). I had zero idea that I had credit on thursday and it basically evaporated because they didn't seem to want to tell you about it. And $20 a day? That got you nothing, everything in their restaurants was too expensive for everyone in the room to get breakfast, so we basically just wasted it all in the mini mart (which was also insanely overpriced with poor selection). And it's not like the $20 would roll over so the room could get at least one breakfast during the weekend either!
- no microwave in room (if there were, I could've brought some microwave oatmeal with me for breakfast)

Overall, I'm probably still going to try for a cheaper hotel next year (if Comfort Inn is open again)

2 hours ago, ashlynx said:

$13 a day for wifi? Seriously? We didn't use it (though the lobby at least had the decency to have free wifi). Comfort would've had free wifi, for such an ungodly expensive hotel, they can't even spot you some wifi?

They did have free wifi

Myself, as well as others, availed ourselves of it through the course of the entire weekend

7 hours ago, AnimeKen said:

They did have free wifi

Myself, as well as others, availed ourselves of it through the course of the entire weekend

Only in the lobby, I used some of it myself. But I was straight up told at check in it was $13 a day to have it in the hotel room itself. Even their website said it's $13 a day to have it in the room. Thankfully these days, people can just make their phones and stuff a hotspot. $13 a day for wifi in the room is ridiculous.

26 minutes ago, ashlynx said:

Only in the lobby, I used some of it myself. But I was straight up told at check in it was $13 a day to have it in the hotel room itself. Even their website said it's $13 a day to have it in the room. Thankfully these days, people can just make their phones and stuff a hotspot. $13 a day for wifi in the room is ridiculous.

That is entirely incorrect

While it is true that it usually costs $13, that did not apply to Otakon attendees and we were given complimentary wi-fi

If you look in this very thread you can see several people mention that fact

And even if there weren't, I can confirm I used the wifi in my room the entire weekend and there was no additional charge for it on top of the normal hotel charges

What you might be remembering from check on was that the wifi was $13 but that fee was being waived for us, since that's what they told me when I checked in

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, AnimeKen said:

That is entirely incorrect

While it is true that it usually costs $13, that did not apply to Otakon attendees and we were given complimentary wi-fi

If you look in this very thread you can see several people mention that fact

And even if there weren't, I can confirm I used the wifi in my room the entire weekend and there was no additional charge for it on top of the normal hotel charges

What you might be remembering from check on was that the wifi was $13 but that fee was being waived for us, since that's what they told me when I checked in

Then frankly, the hotel front desk staff has clear problem with communication since I was told the exact opposite. I'm rather pissed off to know I had free wifi option available but was told the exact opposite by the staff (I remember the check in guy saying I would be charged for it). Perhaps since I was moved over from Comfort Inn, they thought it didn't apply to me or something? They didn't even tell me about the $20 a day stipend from the Comfort Inn thing, I had to find out from some other friends who were in the same situation as me and then ask very specific questions for more information like what time it expired each day and things like that (I kind of got the feeling they didn't want to tell me about it or something). I overall found Renaissance's hotel staff pretty clueless about their own policies.

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 11:29 PM, ashlynx said:

- no microwave in room (if there were, I could've brought some microwave oatmeal with me for breakfast)

If there is a coffee pot in the room, get the type of oatmeals that come in the prepackaged little bowls. Get some hot water in the coffee pot and pour it in the little bowl and you are good to go.

Wifi was in the block rate rooms. If you weren't assigned to a room in the block rate room assignments, it is very possible your room was missed (wifi status was built into the room notes). You may also have been booked in on a breakfast-included rate and not told anything about it.

All said, you were far better off than the comfort inn, having stayed at both. Rain can disable their elevators which to me is not a sign of a well maintained building.

• Like 2

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 7:35 AM, ashlynx said:

Then frankly, the hotel front desk staff has clear problem with communication since I was told the exact opposite. I'm rather pissed off to know I had free wifi option available but was told the exact opposite by the staff (I remember the check in guy saying I would be charged for it). Perhaps since I was moved over from Comfort Inn, they thought it didn't apply to me or something? They didn't even tell me about the $20 a day stipend from the Comfort Inn thing, I had to find out from some other friends who were in the same situation as me and then ask very specific questions for more information like what time it expired each day and things like that (I kind of got the feeling they didn't want to tell me about it or something). I overall found Renaissance's hotel staff pretty clueless about their own policies.

Sometimes I've had to change something after a trip with a hotel (like they overcharged me for something).  Most of the time they're willing to straighten things out.  So, if you want to, you could call the hotel and ask for the Sales Office and explain what happened, that you attended Otakon and didn't know you were supposed to get free wifi, etc.  If you get someone nice there, they might go into your reservation and refund the money.  Might be a long shot, but it might be worth a try.

On 8/14/2018 at 10:13 AM, robotzor said:

Did not seemed decked out for the con like reviewers from last year mentioned

On 8/17/2018 at 10:19 PM, TnAdct1 said:

If last year was any indication, the Renaissance definitely is interested in Otakon.

Heck, if it weren't for it hosting a couple of functions the same time as the con, the hotel probably would have been decked out with wall scrolls and posters a la last year.

The Renaissance's 2017 decorations were donated by Viz Media iirc, which wasn't at the con this year, so that was probably part of the reason. The other part is, as mentioned, the other events already being held in the hotel at the same time.

• Thanks 1

Anybody stayed at the Capital Hilton? 

On 8/20/2018 at 9:04 AM, robotzor said:

Wifi was in the block rate rooms. If you weren't assigned to a room in the block rate room assignments, it is very possible your room was missed (wifi status was built into the room notes). You may also have been booked in on a breakfast-included rate and not told anything about it.

All said, you were far better off than the comfort inn, having stayed at both. Rain can disable their elevators which to me is not a sign of a well maintained building.

Yeah, I think this is what happened. Agreed!!

Ashlynx--  So it wasn't altogether clear in your first post, but from your more recent one I think what I am understanding is that you booked at Comfort Inn, but they bumped you to The Renaissance because they were overbooked? Please correct if I am wrong on that!

So yeah, it definitely sounds like these problems stem from Comfort Inn not communicating with the Renaissance and booking properly, not the Renaissance itself.

If Comfort Inn was obliged to find you a room due to overbooking (I have been there, too. Not fun.) then they would have just grabbed a regular, available room wherever there was one. They didn't grab it inside the Otakon room block. They booked it as a normal room. Sounds like Comfort Inn didn't communicate that you were part of their Otakon block, so the Renaissance did not know to treat and bill you as such (waiving the wifi fee, etc.). I also think if you call and politely explain that you were part of the room block, but bumped from Comfort Inn, they may honor that and take it off your bill.

At Comfort Inn, I know you get free breakfast. So it also sounds like they paid for the $20/day voucher, on them as part of the coverage due to you from their overbooking mistake. They should have communicated this to you. Renaissance was probably unaware that they did not inform you, since Comfort Inn initiated the voucher. In their system it probably just showed as part of the room's booking, and most people would assume the person booked knows the details of their booking (as the staff  at the front may have been unaware of you being booked by Comfort Inn if it wasn't shown as obvious in their system).

I will say this... my friends and I had some nightmare experiences at Comfort Inn last year. Topped off with getting to watch as the valet backed our car into several parked cars and drove like a crazy person. That alone was terrifying. You are welcome to read the account of that stay in Otakon 2017's hotel review thread. We are determined to never stay there again.  I don't care that it is cheaper (and usually I am all about saving money for more merch).

So honestly, you didn't miss out on anything there, trust me.

The breakfast you would have gotten free at Comfort Inn is pretty poor. I could hardly eat it. I will say for $20 at the Renaissance my bf and I both ordered the egg skillet each morning and it was delicious. And the eggs were real, lol. I can say, having had both that and the free breakfast at the Comfort Inn, that the Renaissance egg skillet was well worth paying for.

Also, the fact that the Comfort Inn overbooked in the first place, when it was through the room block no less, is pretty obnoxious. If I were you I would be taking more issue with them on that, too. But that is your call! You are welcome to try out the Comfort Inn next time and see how it compares for yourself! I would just very much not recommend them, personally. :)

I was over at the Embassy Suites. I barely interacted with hotel staff, so I can't reliably say much on that front, but the breakfast and the omelette stand in particular went a long way, and didn't take a very long wait.

On 8/21/2018 at 4:53 AM, EdKitten said:

Sometimes I've had to change something after a trip with a hotel (like they overcharged me for something).  Most of the time they're willing to straighten things out.  So, if you want to, you could call the hotel and ask for the Sales Office and explain what happened, that you attended Otakon and didn't know you were supposed to get free wifi, etc.  If you get someone nice there, they might go into your reservation and refund the money.  Might be a long shot, but it might be worth a try.

I wasn't charged for it, because I simply didn't use it. I used some of the free lobby wifi, but if I had known I could use it in my hotel room....

And yeah, I had booked at Comfort, they moved us. I paid the cheaper rate though!

When I asked the front desk, at first, they didn't seem to know, but then, once I asked specific questions, they coughed up the info.

Also, it was $20 a day, but it didn't roll over (I didn't even get to use my thursday money, I had no clue it expired until it was too late), but the breakfasts were also like, $20 each, so it's not like everyone in the room could get something. I wouldn't have been expecting a *good* breakfast at Comfort Inn, just a free one.

Edited by ashlynx