OtakonNews

[Otakon News]Otakon 2019 Hotel Block Update

The Otakon 2019 Hotel Portal will open one day earlier on August 31st at Noon.  Visit our hotels page here for all the details.

Dang. Would have been SO much more convenient if it were on Saturday when I'm off work. Guess I'll have to try to disappear for a bit in the middle of the work day, lol.

So why was this changed? Why did it updated with little to no warning a few days before it goes online? I had to rearrange my schedule around like crazy to make Saturday work and now I have to rearrange my schedule all over again and I'm going to miss the MST3K panel I had planned to see at Dragon Con. This to me seems like a mis-communication going out or something, something Otakon is "famous" for I know that much.

2 hours ago, TomDent said:

Dang. Would have been SO much more convenient if it were on Saturday when I'm off work. Guess I'll have to try to disappear for a bit in the middle of the work day, lol.

Which some of us won't be able to.  :(

One thing I have to ask: will Otakon be attempting to get a room block at the Conrad Hilton (which will be opening in March)?

As my usual roommate has a truck that can't fit into most indoor parking garages, the Conrad would be another hotel alongside the Renaissance that is close to the outdoor parking area.

21 hours ago, Daniel Perales said:

I was barely able to last year and it's looking a bit worse for me this year.

On 8/28/2018 at 3:48 PM, Daniel Perales said:

Can't you say to your boss that you need someone to cover you for 15 minutes? That is not an outrageous request that they should deny. You could take your lunch break at that time, maybe?

2 hours ago, Clutch said:

Can't you say to your boss that you need someone to cover you for 15 minutes? That is not an outrageous request that they should deny. You could take your lunch break at that time, maybe?

Meanwhile, if you have a computer in your workspace, I don't see any reason not to make the reservations using that, as I've been able to use my work computer do some personal things (including making hotel reservations for Otakon) without a problem (as long as my work network doesn't block the site).

22 hours ago, Clutch said:

Unfortunately, the time when hotel reservation opens up, it will be at one of our peak times of work of the day (we can't even look at our screens, much less using the computer at that time). 

Was anyone able to sign in using their info for last year? There is that "returning users sign in" button but it doesn't recognize my emai address no matter what i do. I ran into the same issue last year and made a new account. Do our accounts just not save year to year? Anyone know?

Also, there is not yet the option to create a new one... will that option be there tmrw before the clock strikes noon, or are we going to have to create an account at noon as soon as we are also trying to grab our room??

10 hours ago, Clutch said:

Daniel, I think you are coming down with something. You had better take Friday off.  ;)

Unfortunately a few people are going to be out today. Of course my boss is pissed, but they did scheduled the day off months in advance. 

I try my best to see if I can get on by the time reservation opens. 

One thing I'm glad is that they are limiting rooms to 2 per session. At least it will somewhat slow down the immediate room hoarding problem.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Suika07 said:

Was anyone able to sign in using their info for last year? There is that "returning users sign in" button but it doesn't recognize my emai address no matter what i do. I ran into the same issue last year and made a new account. Do our accounts just not save year to year? Anyone know?

There are no "returning users" because the block has not opened up yet.  Experient does not save user information between shows and years, so you will make a new registration when it goes live today.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DeathJester said:

There are no "returning users" because the block has not opened up yet.  Experient does not save user information between shows and years, so you will make a new registration when it goes live today.

Ok awesome! Thanks for clearing that up!

Anyone else getting a 404 error?
Yep. Hoped to book a room on my lunch break but it doesn't seem to be in the cards...

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

At least I have off work today. The site was working fine last night but this morning the error was up. I tweeted at them so hopefully this can be fixed soon.

Edited by GoukaRyuu

Site worked fine for me. Just booked my room!

Just now, Eddie 2 said:

Site worked fine for me. Just booked my room!

what link are you using, 

Was there an error? It worked fine for me too right at noon. I'm happy that we didn't get waitlisted for booking Monday too! ♥ First year this happened, glad they finally let us do it without worry~

Nope still 404 error. This is going to suck, I won't be able to get a room at all...

Edited by GoukaRyuu

I was surprised the Hampton Inn wasn't on the list, but I was able to 'settle' for the Marriott Marquis. :P  (If Hampton becomes available later, I may switch.)

Another surprise was that after ~ 10 minutes it looked like the Marriott was still open. Maybe something to do with all the 404's.

Edited by Revan

Got the Marriott Marquis, but one or more of my nights (Thurs, Fri and Sat -- doesn't say which one(s)) is WAITLISTED...

Edited by w-deremer

Did the site overload? I have had a 404 error since 12:02. :(

2 minutes ago, w-deremer said:

Got the Marriott Marquis, but one or more of my nights (Thurs, Fri and Sat -- doesn't say which one(s)) is WAITLISTED...

Just got the notice, the 25th was waitlisted but now FULLY CONFIRMED... now to start saving for the SUPER EXPENSIVE hotel bill... nearly 800 bucks for 3 nights after taxes in a "Run of House" room, whatever that means...

Estimated Reservation Charges
$779.36

I only tried the site at 12:02 because that’s when I was able to go to lunch (as I’m at work). So, I don’t understand how people were able to book rooms? Usually, when a site crashes (if that is what happened) you get a different error, not a 404.

I guess everyone trying to book overloaded the site? I didn’t have this problem last year, so it’s very surprising.

Edited by Ashi

Well, for some reason the Hampton Inn (where I stayed this year) didn't show up in the reservation page, so I settled for the Cambria Suites.

Edited by Zeeba Neighba

Double beds are now waitlisted for the Renaissance 

Been 404 since noon for me. How are people able to book?? 404 means a missing directory. If it's just the servers being overloaded, it should be a different code.

I had to go the hotel's webite cause this damn website doesn;t work!! Comeon guys!!

3 minutes ago, Eddie 2 said:

Double beds are now waitlisted for the Renaissance 

Well, there ---- goes my plans. Thanks Otakon and Experient for ---- me over.

The link above is working fine for me. Hope that helps you guys.

Otakon, get your act together!!! I been trying for over 30 mins and keep getting an error 404, WTH???