Just wondering what other cons people go to or if you have any thoughts on smaller cons?  

I’ve only ever been to Otakon, so I was thinking about checking out AnimeUSA (also in D.C.) or maybe even NekoCon (in VA). 

I've went to Otakon 8 years in a row now and it was my first con as it was one of the closest ones to me (still a 6 hour drive though). Now there are small cons popping up everywhere near me and I've tried out several of them. One really good one is Yama-Con in Pigeon Forge, TN. It's a fun, smaller con (about 3K-4K attendance I think) with tons to do outside the con and everything is super cheap compared to a trip to Otakon. Conapalooza in Kingsport, TN, is about the size of Yama-Con now but it's only a couple years old and it's a 3 day, 24 hour con with a good guest lineup and fun things to do. I love the rush of a big con like Otakon, but I also love hitting up small, growing cons and seeing first hand their growth and progress. It's a lot of fun!

I try to support my local cons as much as possible  these are all new york city based

Liberty city anime con( pretty small compared to otakon)
Anime nyc which i missed its first year due to medical issues but i heard its attendance was 20,000.  im making it a personal issue to make it this year.
And the newest one its anime fest which seems to be a offshoot from comic con for the anime nerds.  more specifically comic con seems to have absorbed it but im guessing cause of how crowded cc is they spit it back out to help with the crowds.

Have heard good things about Anime USA.  I LOVE attending cons!

Katsucon is a large anime con, held at the Gaylord Hotel, National Harbor, Maryland.  Date:  February 2019.  Url:  katsucon.com

You can find lots o' cons listed in the events/calendar links at:

Animecons.com

Upcomingcons.com

Dcconvention.com (WEWCC’s webpage.  Their events/calendar lists shows going on at other locations too.)

CaiaWar, when you mentioned “other cons people go to” I wasn’t sure if you just meant anime?  If so, then sorry about the list below, but perhaps others might find it interesting?  Anyway, here goes:

Small Press Expo.  Large-ish expo.  Emphasizes comic books and graphic novels.  LOTS of vendors.  Have only seen a handful of cosplayers there.  Held at the Marriott across from the White Flint metro, Rockville, Maryland.  Date:  September 15-16, 2018.  Url:  smallpressexpo.com

Capclave.  Small SciFi / Fantasy con, emphasizing small press editors, publishers, writers and books.  Usually just one or two cosplayers are there.  Held at the Hilton across from the Twinbrook metro, Rockville, Maryland.  Date:  September 28-30, 2018.  Url:  capclave.org

Magfest.  Large gaming and music expo.  Held at the Gaylord Hotel, National Harbor, Maryland.  Date:  January 2019.  url:  magfest.org  (Their Maglabs con will be held this weekend September 7-9, 2018 in Alexandria, Virginia.  url:  labs.magfest.org)

Awesome Con.  Large comic con, held at the WEWCC.  Date:  April 2019.  Url:  awesome-con.com

Totally not anime but really interesting and different:

Natural Living Expo.  Large-ish expo.  Alternative medicine, metaphysics, meditations, angel readings, tarot readings, psychic readings, jewelry, vitamins & supplements, workshops, etc.  Date:  September 23, 2018 in Falls Church, Virginia (also held in the Spring, usually in College Park, Maryland)  Url:  naturallivingexpo.com

Edited by EdKitten

Sheesh -- how could I forget about Balticon?  Was there ages ago, but usually can't fit it in the ol' budget nowadays.  It's a large SciFi / Fantasy con, held at The Renaissance Hotel, at Baltimore's Inner Harbor.  It'll be held in May 2019.  Url:  balticon.org

Edited by EdKitten

See my signature... haven't been to Ota in a while, but hope to go next year...

I attended two 1st-year cons last year: Colossalcon East (spun off from Colossalcon in Sandusky, OH), held a 20 minute drive from home at the Kalahari Indoor Water Park & Resort in Pocono Mtns. PA (much smaller than Ota)...and Anime NYC, which, while fun, I am not sure I will return to this year.

Aside from those, my con experience has been all Otakon, New York Anime Festival (until NYCC swallowed it up), NYCC the 1st year it was combined with NY Anime Fest (2010, i think...again, see signature) and one Katsucon (1999)...

22 hours ago, EdKitten said:

....when you mentioned “other cons people go to” I wasn’t sure if you just meant anime?  If so, then sorry about the list below, but perhaps others might find it interesting? ....

I did, but I’m intrigued by the fantasy con! Definitely something to consider - thanks for sharing. :3

• Like 1

I do think I want to check out AnimeUSA, but it doesn’t look like they have a running forum in order to find roommates to split the hotel cost. :/

And I forgot about Katsucon! I think I’ll have to take another look into that one as well  :)

If all else fails, NekoCon is within acceptable driving distance, so I wouldn’t need to rent a hotel room for that (which is a lot better for my wallet). 

Been going to at least one anime convention each year since 2003, although lately I've been going to more than one each year (big or small)

2003 - Big Apple AnimeFest (My first convention which was around the same location as Liberty City Anime.  Was discontinued)

2004-2018 - Animenext (Most Consistent Convention choice for me.  4 different locations including Atlantic City.  Also first convention I decided to hotel stay)

2010-2014 - NY Animefest, NY Comic Con (Not too far away for me so I went for a few years. Not sure if it was Comic Con being too big or trying to get a ticket, but lost interest)

2015-current - Otakon (Finally decided to venture alittle more having heard about Otakon.  After thinking about it whether I should start limiting my conventions, I'll go next year as well.

2017-Current - AnimeNYC (Not as big as Comic Con, but still an active convention / Liberty City Anime (Even smaller than AnimeNYC but the choice of panels plus a few concerts considered my last minute decision to go this year.)

On Tuesday, September 04, 2018 at 11:59 PM, CaiaWar said:

I did, but I’m intrigued by the fantasy con! Definitely something to consider - thanks for sharing. :3

It's a really fun con!  Whichever cons you go to, I hope you have an awesome time!  And am so glad you started this thread -- I'd definitely like to check out some of the other cons people have mentioned.  :)

I don't do as many cons as I used to, but the ones I usually go to are MAGFest and Power Morphicon. I'm doing Anime NYC this year for the first time.

I used to habitually attend AUSA, staffed it once, but something had to give. I used to do Katsu, too, but there's nothing to do at Katsucon anymore. I've also made trips to Anime Central, Anime Boston, T-Mode (volunteered), Anime Mid-Atlantic and Anime Expo, but those were all ages ago.

I'd recommend MAGFest. Aside from the Colossus roar, there's really nothing to complain about. They get some really neat guests, too, like Jun Senoue's Sonic Adventure Music Experience and Saori Kobayashi and Yumiko Takahashi and Yuzo Koshiro. There are also plenty of video game cover acts like Rare Candy.