Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Perales

Anime NYC 2018 Nov. 16-18, 2018. Anyone here's going?

Hi All!

I just got my badge for this con in the mail last night. This is it, my final con of the year. I hopefully wish that this will be a better experience than last month's AXNY@NYCC. I mean I did enjoyed the NYCC part, but the AXNY part left me kind of meh. Liberty Anime Con was almost a waste of my time, but that's another topic.

So, is anyone else here going? I hope to see some of you there.

Take care!

• Like 1

Yo. Gotta get a ticket to the other AWM (the one without Dani/Kage).

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 5:02 PM, lightningneko said:

Friday evening: I'll be at AniSong Matsuri 

Saturday/Sunday: I'll be at AnimeNYC both days

I wish I could go to the AniSong Matsuri, but my finances has been extremely tight these past couple of weeks. I paid for my 3 day badge earlier this year, and this, like NYCC and Liberty Anime Con, it's within walking distance where I live, so no extra expenses like hotels, gas, tolls and parking (yeah, I know it sounds like I'm rubbing it in).

I see that other cons like AnimeNEXT and Katsukon  will have a table at the Dealer's room. I'm surprised Otakon is not present. They did had a table last year but they were a "no-show".

Hi All!

Well, Anime-NYC has ended about 3 days ago. I have to say that it was better than AX-NY@NYCC that's for sure.

The Good:

Lively atmosphere. Seems that most attendees were upbeat.

Most Industry panels were all in the same room right behind after another. With exception of 1 room clear, there was 3 Industry panels in a row Friday all in the same room. I didn't have to get up and scoot to another room right after (with the exception of Saturday when I only had to do it one time).

Tokyo Attack Japanese Arcade. Enough said. :)

Quality screenings

The Bad:

Nothing really bad at all.

The Ugly:

The single most ugliest thing at the con was THE LINES from the initial start on Friday. It looked like the con was caught completely off-guard that Friday morning. So many showed up at once that Friday morning that people were eventually let in a half hour late. They eventually started to get the hang of it as the con went on.

Overall, I really did enjoy myself at this con. I just heard last night that the attendance was 36,000! That's extraordinary for a second year con! I think Anime-NYC just became the largest anime con of the east coast beating Otakon in a matter of 2 years!

I'm already looking forward for next year.

I think there are logistical things that need to be smoothed out, but I give ANYC credit for being cognizant of them. The multiple bag checks were apparently a venue thing--if they had the whole Javits Center, they could have done it more like Ota with the one bag check at the point of entry.

I think the programming schedule was a little thin, too, and lacking in fan panels. The AWM days, I maybe spent just a few hours at the Javits before going over to the Hammerstein, lining up, what have you.

But AWM was phenomenal. I wasn't too familiar with the Friday artists, but quickly it was like "oh, she was the one who did this song" or "oh, they're covering that song." The second night was unreal. I wasn't too high on Morning Musume, they're still not my cup of tea, but I appreciated the artistry. I guessed what the artists I was familiar with would do, and was mostly wrong. Like I thought Kageyama would do Beginnings, the English song off his new album. Nah, when he pulled out his acoustic guitar, it was to do Yume freaking Kounen with Shokotan. The only thing I was able to clock was, the moment he strummed, I knew his next song was going to be The Real Folk Blues, and I drank in the crowd's reaction.

There were a lot of adventurous selections. Kage and Dani covering "GO!!" or Dani soloing "We Can" or Kage joining MM for "Love Machine" or Shokotan and Dani doing Pegasus Fantasy or EVERYBODY doing THE HERO!! But to that point, I'm glad that the show was light on JAM selections, just that and Dani soloing Divine Love (which isn't something they typically do live).

And Shokotan, oh man, she is one of us. Came out with the penlight and joked she looked like Kamen Rider Ex-Aid.

You know? For a while I thought I was the only one here who attended Anime-NYC. ;)

The bag checks were a pain sometimes but I can understand why it was being done.

Fan panels? I think now is a good time for attendees to voice their opinions about this. Earlier this year I asked for video screenings and we got that somewhat. I heard that they will be working with the Javis to get more space the next time around.

Edited by Daniel Perales

Wasn't sure if I noticed enough (or was active enough at the convention) to actually comment.  But following up on the above comments:

- Work was light so I showed up Friday as well as Saturday/Sunday.  I must of missed the early crowds that day so lucky.

- Kind of light on the panels choices that interested me this time with 2 exceptions: one with a video screening/concert (Try sail), the other being the Fate Panel/Concert. 

- The exhibit hall/dealers room/DJ's held my interest the other times.  Good choice to expand on the exhibit hall and move the location of the panels.

- 4 locations that I knew of that had bag checks, interesting choice. 

- I knew there was a chance that I might not recognize most of the songs at AniSong Matsuri, but I went Friday anyway. I did know one cover song very quickly though.  I was at Diva's night last year at Anime NYC so I at least knew TRUE as a returning performer.  (I knew I was going to have trouble standing for an extended period because I was also at the Hatsune Miku concert a few months earlier so I sat in the back, but still an awesome night). 

I had a feeling if the convention expanded, the attendance would increase as well.  Turns out trying to expand in only two years was a good idea (and the plan is to expand even more next year?)

Edited by lightningneko

On 11/28/2018 at 2:10 PM, lightningneko said:

Wasn't sure if I noticed enough (or was active enough at the convention) to actually comment.  But following up on the above comments:

- Work was light so I showed up Friday as well as Saturday/Sunday.  I must of missed the early crowds that day so lucky.

- Kind of light on the panels choices that interested me this time with 2 exceptions: one with a video screening/concert (Try sail), the other being the Fate Panel/Concert. 

- The exhibit hall/dealers room/DJ's held my interest the other times.  Good choice to expand on the exhibit hall and move the location of the panels.

- 4 locations that I knew of that had bag checks, interesting choice. 

- I knew there was a chance that I might not recognize most of the songs at AniSong Matsuri, but I went Friday anyway. I did know one cover song very quickly though.  I was at Diva's night last year at Anime NYC so I at least knew TRUE as a returning performer.  (I knew I was going to have trouble standing for an extended period because I was also at the Hatsune Miku concert a few months earlier so I sat in the back, but still an awesome night). 

I had a feeling if the convention expanded, the attendance would increase as well.  Turns out trying to expand in only two years was a good idea (and the plan is to expand even more next year?)

Apparently the thing with the bag checks was a venue requirement. If they had the whole joint, they could do the bag checks at the point of entry instead.

Yeah, that was the case with me and the Friday AWM concert, that I wasn't so familiar with the artists, but the "oh they're the singer from that song" aspect was neat, as well as the covers of things like Aquarion and Sorairo Days

Peter Tatara personally responded to my complaint email about their interpreters, he said they were made aware and dealt with it in real-time.