Jump to content
Aresef

'Far From Perfect': Fans Recount Unwanted Affection from Voice Actor Vic Mignogna

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, KyoKyo said:

What I don't understand is how this was going on for so long without anyone coming forward sooner or the issues being addressed. The anime dub industry is small and closely-knit and doesn't in any way resemble a large-scale Hollywood power structure that would protect someone like a Kevin Spacey or Harvey Weinstein. I know there were rumblings for years about how his behavior was "misrepresented" at best and he seemed to have dropped off the con circuit for a number of years. I'm not sure if its a glowing recommendation of the industry if other VAs knew that innocent people, their fans, were experiencing this and did or said nothing about it to Mignonga's team. Maybe the corporate side of Funimation wanted this downplayed. Maybe they did, maybe they didn't and we just don't know.

There are some socially/politically vocal VAs within the dub industry that were unusually quiet up until now. I'm surprised Jamie Marchi wasn't shouting this thing from the rooftops earlier judging by how outraged she is on Twitter. 

Who knows. Maybe I need to "take his [Vic Mignonga's] d**k out of my ears so I can hear reality" as Marchi suggests.

This whole thing has left a sour taste in my mouth from both sides. I've unsubbed from Funimation and am going back to CR subs. As soon as I give western anime localization/adaptation a chance, this sort of thing happens.

 

 I'm curious if this will be brought up by attendees at various industry or VA panels during the upcoming convention season. 

 

I think it has everything to do with redefining what harassment means.  Honestly, I con, but I don't follow voice actors. I wouldn't know him from a Joe Schmo from Kalamazo, so I've never heard anything about him.

But think about it from way back in the day. Everyone had a Creepy Uncle Lester who would hug you and kiss you at Thanksgiving. You took it, accepted it, and then talked about them behind their back after about how weird he was.  While I'm not familiar with the allegations being brought forth now, the one's I've seen are of the creepy variety.  People are just now being comfortable with the fact that they can come forward and say they are uncomfortable, and people are starting to support them.  It's no longer acceptable to invade someones personal space.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, KellyMae said:

I think it has everything to do with redefining what harassment means.  Honestly, I con, but I don't follow voice actors. I wouldn't know him from a Joe Schmo from Kalamazo, so I've never heard anything about him.

But think about it from way back in the day. Everyone had a Creepy Uncle Lester who would hug you and kiss you at Thanksgiving. You took it, accepted it, and then talked about them behind their back after about how weird he was.  While I'm not familiar with the allegations being brought forth now, the one's I've seen are of the creepy variety.  People are just now being comfortable with the fact that they can come forward and say they are uncomfortable, and people are starting to support them.  It's no longer acceptable to invade someones personal space.

the main problem is the laws and courts dont change with the times.   We should honestly try to make a social media version of law enforcement or something.   Where if something like this happens or something very concerning gets posted report it to whoever so its there job so sift through accusations contact people confirm stories and deem it valid enough to pass it along to the courts or police.  Would stop all of these people screaming about evidence or due process at least and reduce alot of the toxicity 

Edited by Something Clever

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KyoKyo said:

What I don't understand is how this was going on for so long without anyone coming forward sooner or the issues being addressed. The anime dub industry is small and closely-knit and doesn't in any way resemble a large-scale Hollywood power structure that would protect someone like a Kevin Spacey or Harvey Weinstein. I know there were rumblings for years about how his behavior was "misrepresented" at best and he seemed to have dropped off the con circuit for a number of years. I'm not sure if its a glowing recommendation of the industry if other VAs knew that innocent people, their fans, were experiencing this and did or said nothing about it to Mignonga's team. Maybe the corporate side of Funimation wanted this downplayed. Maybe they did, maybe they didn't and we just don't know.

There are some socially/politically vocal VAs within the dub industry that were unusually quiet up until now. I'm surprised Jamie Marchi wasn't shouting this thing from the rooftops earlier judging by how outraged she is on Twitter. 

Who knows. Maybe I need to "take his [Vic Mignonga's] d**k out of my ears so I can hear reality" as Marchi suggests.

This whole thing has left a sour taste in my mouth from both sides. I've unsubbed from Funimation and am going back to CR subs. As soon as I give western anime localization/adaptation a chance, this sort of thing happens.

 

 I'm curious if this will be brought up by attendees at various industry or VA panels during the upcoming convention season. 

 

Without naming names, I'm going to paraphrase a voice actor I've heard from. Not speaking specifically about the Vic situation, if you speak up about something, you run the risk of directors and higher-ups getting antsy about casting you in the future. Suddenly, there goes your health insurance.

But after the spreadsheet and the ANN piece, people like Monica Rial and Jamie Marchi must have judged that the cost of speaking up was now far less.

I'm not staff at Otakon or anywhere else, but I'd put money on question screeners being more common.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Aresef said:

But after the spreadsheet and the ANN piece, people like Monica Rial and Jamie Marchi must have judged that the cost of speaking up was now far less.

Jamie Marchi's Tweets were very disappointing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, GasparAKAShiggitay said:

I know I said I wouldn't participate in this thread, but I just found this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn5ftKntbfk

 

 




edit 2- i just saw the other video you posted that basically said the same exact rhetoric yeah i have my answer never mind.  You believe the accused are victims of the big bad sjw boogyman not the people coming foward as victims got it.

Edited by Something Clever

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, KyoKyo said:

What I don't understand is how this was going on for so long without anyone coming forward sooner or the issues being addressed.

Just goes to show how hard it is for victims of sexual harassment/assault to come forward, no matter where they happen to work. Whether its sports, the culinary industry, church, etc.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jamie Marchi's Tweets were very disappointing. 

 

I don’t think so. There are just people who would like to read into them things that are obviously not there, because there’s a case they want to make that is not supported by what is public.

 

Here’s a post from Samantha Inoue-Harte reflecting on the internal probe, including evidence of Vic’s behavior around a Japanese guest at a con:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Something Clever said:




edit 2- i just saw the other video you posted that basically said the same exact rhetoric yeah i have my answer never mind.  You believe the accused are victims of the big bad sjw boogyman not the people coming forward as victims got it.

I never said anything like that. I posted that video solely to contribute to the conversation... Calm down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, GasparAKAShiggitay said:

I never said anything like that. I posted that video solely to contribute to the conversation... Calm down.


why did you come back?  Oh and thats basically the same video as earlier well same theme behind it.  Also you constantly replying to everything i say when you could just ignore me post you video and leave makes it seem like your just a tad defensive if you must reply to everything i say which is unnecessary

 

 

 

Edited by Something Clever

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Something Clever said:


why did you come back?  Oh and thats basically the same video as earlier well same theme behind it.  Also you constantly replying to everything i say when you could just ignore me post you video and leave makes it seem like your just a tad defensive if you must reply to everything i say which is unnecessary

 

 

 

Honestly, the same goes for you. Just accept that all I was doing was trying to do was add to the conversation and that I'm indifferent to the situation as a whole. YOU'RE the one being defensive. Had I not have found that video (of which is an opinion of one YouTuber, even if the theme was similar to the one I posted before) I wouldn't have posted again. TheQuartering brings up some points that LostPause(Noble) did not. I found it interesting and found that it might be something people could talk about in a civilized, adult manner... With you it seems like that's not possible. Again, I am indifferent to the situation, and I hope Vic learns from this situation. I am not a fan of his work generally because I'm not a huge fan of dubbed anime. I wish him well, and let's see if he can bounce back after this ordeal.

Have a good one.

Edited by GasparAKAShiggitay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×