CocoFaerie

The 2019 Otakon Goer Roll-Call Thread

The tradition is back hons.  This is a thread by this faerie where Otakon goers can announce their presence for the 26th Otakon (25th anniversary edition).  The format in which members should reply has been pretty much the same over the years, but I like to throw in a new ? with every new roll-call.  2019 is no different.  The format is:

PREFERRED NAME:
HOMETOWN:
# OF OTAKONS ATTENDED
The BONUS ? for 2019:  What was the awesomest or most unique cosplay or crossplay you have seen and/or worn at an Otakon?  Please note that J-fashions (lolita/ouji, gyaru, fairy-kei) are excluded unless part of a character costume like Shinku or Ciel.

PREFERRED NAME: Larry
HOMETOWN: Nokesville, VA
# OF OTAKONS ATTENDED: 6
The BONUS ? for 2019: "Halo Kitty" - a mashup of the Master Chief from "Halo" and Hello Kitty... resulting in a pink camo Master Chief with cat ears built into the way-oversized helmet.

PREFERRED NAME: Mark
HOMETOWN: Va. Beach, VA
# OF OTAKONS ATTENDED : 7?
The BONUS ? for 2019: lol i didn't know i was cosplaying trolololol

PREFERRED NAME: Gaspar
HOMETOWN: Boston, MA
# OF OTAKONS ATTENDED: with 2019 included it'll be 11
The BONUS ? for 2019: Since 2016 I've been cosplaying a Genderbent Senbonzakura Hatsune Miku from Vocaloid (original female version is my avatar), but starting in 2018 with Anime Boston I've also added a semi-genderbent Street Pop Hatsune Miku (an obscure outfit/module from the Hatsune Miku Project Diva F2nd song "Kagerou Days" or "Heat Haze Days").  I say "semi" because in the PV of the song Miku is technically dressed as  guy, but I'll leave that up to your imagination to determine. My SenBon Miku has been misidentified as a "Kawaii M Bison" from Street Fighter, and as hilariously wrong as that is I take that in stride. No one has guessed or even cared about my Street Pop Miku though.... I hereby challenge the Otakon population to guess it correctly, but if you don't, that's okay. Cosplaying obscure versions of characters / obscure characters altogether is also part of the fun.

• Like 1

I'll just ask what you are :3

Just now, Kewshi said:

I'll just ask what you are :3

I'll say F off... lol jk

Danny's got me beat!

Preferred name: Revengel (I have a few names, actually)

Hometown: Rockville, MD (born in D.C.)

# of Otakon's Attended: 22 (every one since 1997 and counting)

Bonus: Dressed as Priss from Bubblegum Crisis in a homemade hard suit. Extra bonus, Charlotte (my motorcycle) was in costume as my Motoslave.

PREFERRED NAME: Tyler
HOMETOWN: I tell people in Maryland, Towson. I tell people outside the area, Baltimore.
# OF OTAKONS ATTENDED: 14 (the Sunday of 04 and everyone since, except 2016, when I had a schedule conflict)
The BONUS ? for 2019:  I'm no good at cosplay--I did a budget Green Ranger twice. But the best I've seen at Ota... man, I'd have to think a while on that.

• Like 1

Preferred Name: Hey, you! (I end up putting Revan on the badge mainly because I liked the name from KOTOR. I use it when I'm stuck with a character name in RPGs.)

Hometown: Suburban Philly (close enough for traffic to really screw my drive home)

# of Otakons attended: This is my first, please be gentle. :wub: (Actually, this will be #26, as you can sorta-kinda tell from my avatar.)

Bonus: I do a great cosplay of someone on vacation in the summer. Last year I did 'Otakon Attendee Figure'. Best I've seen: I'm not sure, as they all jumble together at this point, but there was a guy in the early cons (1996-98?) who did some amazing cosplay as Buzz Lightyear and Disney's Hercules. (He won a couple of the Masquerades, but would get booed by the attendees with shouts of 'It's not Anime!!!'

On 4/3/2019 at 9:54 AM, Revan said:

Bonus: I do a great cosplay of someone on vacation in the summer. Last year I did 'Otakon Attendee Figure'. Best I've seen: I'm not sure, as they all jumble together at this point, but there was a guy in the early cons (1996-98?) who did some amazing cosplay as Buzz Lightyear and Disney's Hercules. (He won a couple of the Masquerades, but would get booed by the attendees with shouts of 'It's not Anime!!!'

I remember the Buzz Lightyear one. My sister took a picture of him with my very young nephew at the time. My nephew thought that he was only a statue when he was posing next to him. My sister snapped the shot just as Buzz was reaching down to shake my nephew's hand. The look of my nephew's face was priceless! :P

PREFERRED NAME: Since I go with my online buddies, I like the nickname Triela. :3
HOMETOWN: New York
# OF OTAKONS ATTENDED: This will be my 3rd year!!
The BONUS ? for 2019:  I've seen a lot of awesome cosplay over the years, (have been going to cons for 15 years or so now) so I can't think of just one. I myself have crossplayed and (in later years) genderbent as Ellis from Left 4 Dead 2. It was my favorite cosplay and I did that for 4 years, I should bring that back someday...

PREFERRED NAME: Thomas
HOMETOWN: near Bristol, VA
# OF OTAKONS ATTENDED: 8 (2019 will make 9)
The BONUS ? for 2019: I can't really think of a single cosplay off the top of my head. Way too many awesome cosplays over the years!

PREFERRED NAME: Steph
HOMETOWN: Rockville, MD
# OF OTAKONS ATTENDED: 2019 will be my 12th
The BONUS ? A perfect Van Pelt from Jumanji. 

Okay, really, this time:

The BONUS ? for 2019:  What was the awesomest or most unique cosplay or crossplay you have seen and/or worn at an Otakon?

Prolly a friend's Kamen Rider cosplays. He was Fourze Base States one year, and I *think* OOO PuToTyra Form another year? I'm not certain...

I was supposed to attend last year but couldn't make it since I loved to Japan that weekend. Since I'm still in Japan I won't be able to attend this year as well. But I figured I'd say hello and answer this for the sake of tradition:

PREFERRED NAME: Joel
HOMETOWN: Downingtown, Pa. Currently residing in Tokaimura, Ibaraki prefecture
# OF OTAKONS ATTENDED: 7, the last one being 2017
The BONUS ? for 2019: The most unique cosplay I've worn was a tentacle monster. I wore it at Katsucon once and at Otakon a couple times. The awesomest I've seen was a transforming Optimus Prime at Zenkaikon in 2014.