mellow-osity

Scooters in DC?

So, I'm looking to secure my hotel and I'm looking at some a little further away than I generally like, but I want to spend less on hotels this year. Now, I see that scooters have popped up in DC. Has anyone used them there? I used them while being in Denver recently, and they made getting around a breeze! Having a hotel a little farther away doesn't look so bad if these scooters are around. 

• Like 1

https://www.google.com/search?safe=off&client=firefox-b-1-d&q=dc+scooter+share&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiV39WU5K_iAhWBiOAKHT4DAa0Q1QIoAnoECAsQAw&biw=1680&bih=914

There are at least six different companies servicing DC; but I think which one you'd find depends on the location of your hotel.

Price is generally about $1(for the first minute?), then 15 cents a minute thereafter. Good for quick jaunts, but it would get pricey if you have it out all day...

• Like 1

I've only used scooters and bikes from the company LIME, and it's awesome and affordable. :)

• Like 1

Be careful if you do use the scooters. My friends and I saw one get stolen at a 7-11. Just watch where you put it or lock it up.

• Like 2

On Wednesday, May 22, 2019 at 11:38 AM, mellow-osity said:

So, I'm looking to secure my hotel and I'm looking at some a little further away than I generally like, but I want to spend less on hotels this year. Now, I see that scooters have popped up in DC. Has anyone used them there? I used them while being in Denver recently, and they made getting around a breeze! Having a hotel a little farther away doesn't look so bad if these scooters are around.

Just to give you some alternatives where you don't need a scooter, if you're interested.  There are hotels right off many metro stations.  The Crystal Gateway Marriott in Virginia is right off the Crystal City metro (on the Yellow Line) -- you don't even have to go above ground to get there.  Once you're on the subway train, it's about a 10-15 minute ride to Mt Vernon metro where the WEWCC is.  There's another Marriott there at Crystal City metro, but it's farther to get to (you don't have to go above ground for that Marriott too).  To get to the Crystal Gateway Marriott, when leaving the Crystal City metro, you'll be going up some escalators and will see doors on the left and right, and you'll see more escalators ahead of you.  Take the doors to the right.  There's a small mall with a convenience store, a Rite Aid store and restaurants.  Near the Rite Aid store you'll see a small tunnel which goes to the Crystal City Marriott.

To get to the other Marriott, you'll take the doors to the left (instead of the right in the instructions, above), and you'll be walking down many long, long hallways to get there.  (Not really great, late at night, IMHO.)

There's also some hotels close by the Bethesda metro (on the Red Line, so you'd have to transfer to the Yellow Line to get to the Mt Vernon metro for the WEWCC).  The Hyatt's right above the Bethesda metro.  And about 2 blocks away are the Marriot Residence Inn and Hilton Garden Inn.

I've been to all these hotels, and they're all great to stay at.  The Crystal Gateway Marriott would probably be the most handy since it's right on the Yellow Line for the WEWCC, and has a Rite Aid (for hotel room supplies) and restaurants and other stores right next to it.  (The last time I was there, about a year ago, just some of the stores were open on Sundays.  The Rite Aid store was open on Sundays).

Anyway, you've probably got your hotel all set, but thought to post this info, just in case.

Edited by EdKitten
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, EdKitten said:

Just to give you some alternatives where you don't need a scooter, if you're interested.  There are hotels right off many metro stations.  The Crystal Gateway Marriott in Virginia is right off the Crystal City metro (on the Yellow Line) -- you don't even have to go above ground to get there.  Once you're on the subway train, it's about a 10-15 minute ride to Mt Vernon metro where the WEWCC is.  There's another Marriott there at Crystal City metro, but it's farther to get to (you don't have to go above ground for that Marriott too).  To get to the Crystal Gateway Marriott, when leaving the Crystal City metro, you'll be going up some escalators and will see doors on the left and right, and you'll see more escalators ahead of you.  Take the doors to the right.  There's a small mall with a convenience store, a Rite Aid store and restaurants.  Near the Rite Aid store you'll see a small tunnel which goes to the Crystal City Marriott.

To get to the other Marriott, you'll take the doors to the left (instead of the right in the instructions, above), and you'll be walking down many long, long hallways to get there.  (Not really great, late at night, IMHO.)

There's also some hotels close by the Bethesda metro (on the Red Line, so you'd have to transfer to the Yellow Line to get to the Mt Vernon metro for the WEWCC).  The Hyatt's right above the Bethesda metro.  And about 2 blocks away are the Marriot Residence Inn and Hilton Garden Inn.

I've been to all these hotels, and they're all great to stay at.  The Crystal Gateway Marriott would probably be the most handy since it's right on the Yellow Line for the WEWCC, and has a Rite Aid (for hotel room supplies) and restaurants and other stores right next to it.  (The last time I was there, about a year ago, just some of the stores were open on Sundays.  The Rite Aid store was open on Sundays).

Anyway, you've probably got your hotel all set, but thought to post this info, just in case.

Awesome info for those not from DC Metro area! Thanks!

• Like 1

On Saturday, June 08, 2019 at 8:44 AM, GasparAKAShiggitay said:

Awesome info for those not from DC Metro area! Thanks!

Thanks!  There are many hotels near subway stops, but these are the ones I really like, and are in good areas.

• Like 1

There are about six different companies serving DC with scooters (and one with electric bikes). Prices range from 15c a minute (jump) to a dollar to start then ten cents every subsequent minute.

Rather than downloading each individual app for them, what I reccomend is an app called transit: https://transitapp.com/

It shows every scooter/bike in the area. Thumb/click one and it'll open or download the necessary app for it. It also shows all nearby buses and trains, with arrival times. You can also use it like google maps to plan trips or to show any of that information for a location elsewhere.

• Like 2

There are about six different companies serving DC with scooters (and one with electric bikes). Prices range from 15c a minute (jump) to a dollar to start then ten cents every subsequent minute.
Rather than downloading each individual app for them, what I reccomend is an app called transit: https://transitapp.com/
It shows every scooter/bike in the area. Thumb/click one and it'll open or download the necessary app for it. It also shows all nearby buses and trains, with arrival times. You can also use it like google maps to plan trips or to show any of that information for a location elsewhere.

I'm 99% sure LIME BIKE is one of the providers... They're popular up here in Boston as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I drive nights for Uber in the DC metro area and can confirm that there are a LOT of rentable electric scooters in DC that are in use at all hours of the night. Metro is an alternative option up until midnight or so - when Metro service stops for the night. Uber/Lyft, etc. are other options, but if you're looking for one in the midnight to 3:30 am time frame you will probably be in a "surge pricing" area and the rates will be higher than you are normally used to. The majority of the NW DC night scene (especially Adams Morgan) on weekends becomes surge pricing as closing time approaches. For DC, closing time is 3:00 am for alcohol establishments.

The following are some of the recent article headlines in the Washington Post (sorted newest to oldest) regarding scooter usage in DC:

• DC suspends Skip scooter service after second fire within a month. (June 19, 2019)
  • More Washingtonians say drivers are bad than say the same of cyclists, walkers, scooter riders, (June 10, 2019)
  • Nearly 1 in 6 D.C. residents use e-scooters, poll finds (June 7, 2019)
  • Boom in electric scooters leads to more injuries, fatalities (June 6, 2019)
  • Skip suspends e-scooter service while it reviews fire (May 31, 2019)
  • An electric scooter caught fire in downtown D.C. (May 30, 2019)
  • Red Line trains no longer single-tracking after scooter left on track (May 29, 2019)
  • Two thieves on scooters rob victim of purse in D.C. (May 18, 2019)
  • CDC study urges helmet use to prevent severe head injuries while riding scooters (May 2, 2019)

• Like 1