Another Chance for an Otakon Video Game

Hi everyone.  After hearing about the success of a recent side-scrolling beat-em-up game by WayForward called "River City Girls", I was thinking that maybe we should ask WayForward if they could help revive the idea for an official Otakon game.  I understand that the previous attempt for an official Otakon game didn't go so well.  But I feel that with WayForward's reputation, as well as the talent that it has on its side, we could have our dream of an Otakon game turned into a reality this time.

The game could feature elements from the con's history past and present.  From its early years to its Baltimore era to its current D.C. era.

I'll understand if this project won't be for another few years.  But I thought I should bring it up while its still relevant.

Thank you for listening.

As someone who lost $200 from the game back when it was done (and I only paid that much money because Otakon was supporting it). I would first like to have my money back before any other project was announced as this would be a kick in the teeth for me. Or at least have the people who backed the game have our original ideas and tiers done. Having another game would feel as if Otakon is trying to sweep it under the rug, which they seem to have done already.

4 minutes ago, Konacha said:

As someone who lost $200 from the game back when it was done (and I only paid that much money because Otakon was supporting it). I would first like to have my money back before any other project was announced as this would be a kick in the teeth for me. Or at least have the people who backed the game have our original ideas and tiers done. Having another game would feel as if Otakon is trying to sweep it under the rug, which they seem to have done already.

All indications are the money is gone.

https://www.otakujournalist.com/future-hazy-for-crisis-heart-brawlers-clash-at-otakon/

I should disclose I am quoted in this story.

Edited by Aresef
23 hours ago, Konacha said:

I feel ya.  But I don't think any of that money is coming back.  That's the risk of kickstarter and other crowdfunding. You don't know if the projects will come to pass, and you may not see your investment pay off. That's simply how it works.  The money was spent, and the project failed to produce. We said what we could legally at the time and the statements are on record. There was no sweeping under the rug.

Let me clarify something here to the best of my understanding, and with the disclaimer that I'm NOT making a statement on behalf of the corporation here -- this is my personal recollection and most of it's been public for a while.

Otakorp, the organization, provided some seed money (I don't recall the exact amount, but it was thousands of dollars) and licensed our mascot characters and some concepts to the team making the game.  We didn't own the process or have access to the kickstarter process other than as a participant -- that was all the studio making the game. And the folks behind that had a long association with the community and nobody had a reason to doubt their intentions.

You may notice that my avatar here is "Evil Doctor V" from the concept art.  Fred "Piro" from Megatokyo did some of the concept art and was one of many creative types (including voice actors) who committed to or helped build the prototype.  (My inclusion as a boss was going to be a surprise until our lawyer pointed out that they had to get me to sign off on using my likeness, so the first I heard of it was when I was asked to approve and sign off on the art.)  Since other folks paid to be included,  once the KS launched, I forked over the appropriate donation for that tier (I want to say $400 or $600), since it only seemed fair.   At least I got this out of it, which is a lot more than most folks got.

Disclaimer:  I have known Fred for like 15-20 years and I certainly could have paid a lot less to be captured in his style.  

Further disclaimer: Most folks in the industry understand that projects don't always pan out and I think they've written it off long ago. For Otakorp a lot of the value came from the announcement buzz -- but the negative impact of its failure was no picnic.  But for the staff who chipped in, that's money lost just like it is for any members who supported it.  

And I don't speak for everyone on this, but I suspect that we're a little hesitant to get involved in another game project.

Still, we're up on MOST conventions in terms of video game credibility:  Otacon, of MGS fame, is named after our event and many MGS materials credit us with allowing them to use the name -- and we always credit Dr Hal Emerich as our scientific adviser in our program book.

Edited by alabaster
On 9/12/2019 at 4:39 PM, alabaster said:

I feel ya.  But I don't think any of that money is coming back.  That's the risk of kickstarter and other crowdfunding. You don't know if the projects will come to pass, and you may not see your investment pay off. That's simply how it works.  The money was spent, and the project failed to produce. We said what we could legally at the time and the statements are on record. There was no sweeping under the rug.

Yeah, I admit that I could have choose those words "under the rug" a bit better, more like "pretend it didn't exist". Since all we heard from Otakon years ago was that it was handed to the lawyers, the licensed was pulled and that was it. I was hoping for some official statement on something other than what we got. When I heard the quote "handed to the lawyers (I believe this came from an old feedback panel)" I was hoping that we get at least a statement about what happened. I just felt like everything was quiet and that was it. As I said, if another game was announced, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't back it just because of how bad a taste the old one left in my mouth.

On 9/16/2019 at 1:59 PM, Konacha said:

Yeah, I admit that I could have choose those words "under the rug" a bit better, more like "pretend it didn't exist". Since all we heard from Otakon years ago was that it was handed to the lawyers, the licensed was pulled and that was it. I was hoping for some official statement on something other than what we got. When I heard the quote "handed to the lawyers (I believe this came from an old feedback panel)" I was hoping that we get at least a statement about what happened. I just felt like everything was quiet and that was it. As I said, if another game was announced, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't back it just because of how bad a taste the old one left in my mouth.

*Nods*  Just to clarify, there really isn't any new information, so the old statement stands.   As I understand it, It's on Studio Nasu and Kickstarter, legally and ethically, to deal with any remaining fallout.  That's just a risk of crowdfunding, really.

1 hour ago, alabaster said:

*Nods*  Just to clarify, there really isn't any new information, so the old statement stands.   As I understand it, It's on Studio Nasu and Kickstarter, legally and ethically, to deal with any remaining fallout.  That's just a risk of crowdfunding, really.

Indeed. I was only $15, so I'm peeved, but still just out $15. Other people were taken for way, way more and it sure seems like that money's long since been spent. On what? Anybody's guess.

22 hours ago, Aresef said:

Indeed. I was only $15, so I'm peeved, but still just out $15. Other people were taken for way, way more and it sure seems like that money's long since been spent. On what? Anybody's guess.

Oh, I think it was probably spent on developing the game, because there were some prototypes and some functionality on display at the time.   At a guess -- and it's purely a guess, I have no insider knowledge about it -- I think they may have lost a key partner on the dev side OR just underestimated what it would really take, and people only work for you for so long on promises and fun.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.