Anime-NYC Nov 15-17, 2019. Anyone here going?

I had a great time last year and I'll be there this year. I was ambivalent at first (because of one of their guests, and I'll leave it there), but then they announced the concert and I was all in.

Just now, Aresef said:

I had a great time last year and I'll be there this year. I was ambivalent at first (because of one of their guests, and I'll leave it there), but then they announced the concert and I was all in.

We should meet up! xD

Just now, Aresef said:

Yeah, though the weekend is gonna be a bit madcap.

Well we can try at least... I don't really have anything planned, so maybe we can work something out? Like meeting up for lunch/dinner one of the days?

1 minute ago, GasparAKAShiggitay said:

Well we can try at least... I don't really have anything planned, so maybe we can work something out? Like meeting up for lunch/dinner one of the days?

Maybe. I'm prepared to spend most of Friday in line like an idiot, and I'm hanging with a bunch of old friends after JAM's autograph session. I'm thinking Sunday might be the best bet, since the only thing I really want to fit in is the Shinkai screening. Play it by ear, I guess.

Just now, Aresef said:

Maybe. I'm prepared to spend most of Friday in line like an idiot, and I'm hanging with a bunch of old friends after JAM's autograph session. I'm thinking Sunday might be the best bet, since the only thing I really want to fit in is the Shinkai screening. Play it by ear, I guess.

Will do! You have my contact info (at least FB) :)

Hmmm..... looks like even with my planning for the convention, I couldn't quite keep the motivation going for all 3 days.  But I knew I was going to be ready for the Friday concert..... turns out I wasn't ready for the concert as well after it ended (that was a big positive though).

- Wasn't familiar of ZAQ by name (knew one of her songs).  Turned out to be an awesome performance.  (and to be a surprise guest MC at the LL after party on Saturday night, surprised I wasn't a fan sooner).

- (The main reason I was at the concert) All the delayed viewings I've been to for Aqours and the LL mobile game should have gotten me ready for Guilty Kiss..... to get that reaction just walking on the stage with no build up just before their 1st song.... I could tell right there being at a live concert was going to be far different than a delayed viewing.  

I admit I needed a time out after the Guilty Kiss performance and needed to sit down for awhile which left me not as active while True was on stage (although I was at her previous 2 anime nyc concerts).  Sounded like Jam Project got a similar reaction in comparison to Guilty Kiss but with a build up prior to walking on stage.  Also an excellent performance, but despite standing up trying to be more active, I wasn't quite as active as I should have.  

Awesome concert overall.  Also had fun at the convention while it lasted.

• Like 1
On 11/18/2019 at 12:32 PM, lightningneko said:

Hmmm..... looks like even with my planning for the convention, I couldn't quite keep the motivation going for all 3 days.  But I knew I was going to be ready for the Friday concert..... turns out I wasn't ready for the concert as well after it ended (that was a big positive though).

- Wasn't familiar of ZAQ by name (knew one of her songs).  Turned out to be an awesome performance.  (and to be a surprise guest MC at the LL after party on Saturday night, surprised I wasn't a fan sooner).

- (The main reason I was at the concert) All the delayed viewings I've been to for Aqours and the LL mobile game should have gotten me ready for Guilty Kiss..... to get that reaction just walking on the stage with no build up just before their 1st song.... I could tell right there being at a live concert was going to be far different than a delayed viewing.  

I admit I needed a time out after the Guilty Kiss performance and needed to sit down for awhile which left me not as active while True was on stage (although I was at her previous 2 anime nyc concerts).  Sounded like Jam Project got a similar reaction in comparison to Guilty Kiss but with a build up prior to walking on stage.  Also an excellent performance, but despite standing up trying to be more active, I wasn't quite as active as I should have.  

Awesome concert overall.  Also had fun at the convention while it lasted.

I still don't understand the appeal of LL, so I was kind of the opposite. Dream Solister and then JAM Project's entrance gave me life. I wish they had had a longer set, but such was the format of the event.

• Like 1

Hi folks!

It's been a week after the con. I been quite busy going back to work that I couldn't type my impression of the con.

Anyway, Here's a quick review:

The Good:

The con was well run compared to last year. The Exhibitors, Artist Ally, and Autograph Area was all in one Level with enough room to move around.

Most of the major Industry people had their huge booths and displays like the ones from New York Comic Con a month before.

Attendees was pretty well behaved as far as I can tell. Fascinating cosplays  the whole weekend.

Got reacquainted with a few people that I haven't seen for years (attendees and industry alike).  

The Bad:

The Industry panels on Friday. Most of them had their schedule overlapping each other that I was only able to attend to one.

The Ugly:

In one of the panels, there was a guy with a really annoying "Jerry Lewis" sounding voice that kept talking over the panelist. He was also the only one waving a glowstick during one of the presentation that had music in it. Someone in the audience even said "Will You Shut The F**k up!" to him at least once.

Overall:

I really did enjoyed this con. I don't know the numbers yet, but if they keep doing things right, they may become the "Anime-Expo" to the east like New York Comic Con is becoming the "San Diego Comic Con" of the east.

I just got the numbers as I was typing this: 46,000 unique estimate for 2019.  Way To Go!!!!

Edited by Daniel Perales
Attendance update

I was there all weekend for year 3 (my first year) and it was a lot of fun as Danny said. I sadly and admittedly was mostly in the "Video Game Room/Arcade" area of the Dealer's Room most of the weekend, but I did get recognized in my Senbonzakura Mikuo cosplay quite a few times, and that makes me happy.

On Sunday at 11AM I attended the Kugimiya Rie Showcase panel which was awesome, as it was her first time/year EVER in the US at a con (and I think overall her first time outside Japan as well). She live dubbed a scene from Toradora (ep 24 at the end) and it was awesome seeing her in-sync with Taiga in that scene but I was slightly disappointed she didn't say her fan favorite line of "Urusai!!" which means "you're noisy" but mostly translated by fans as "shut up!!". I really hope they bring her back to some sort of con somewhere that I go to (like Anime Boston or Anime Central) and she says "urusai" at some point in character. I've been requesting her for Otakon for many years, and I'm happy someone finally got her to appear at US con.

3 hours ago, Daniel Perales said:

The Ugly:

In one of the panels, there was a guy with a really annoying "Jerry Lewis" sounding voice that kept talking over the panelist. He was also the only one waving a glowstick during one of the presentation that had music in it. Someone in the audience even said "Will You Shut The F**k up!" to him at least once.

LMAO Really?!? I would have been laughing my ass off if I saw that guy get OWNED like that..

The only thing that I didn't like (and this not the con's fault, but 100% my own) is that I had to commute from almost the middle of Long Island to NYC each day because I was staying with friends in the town of Amityville, and I took up their offer because I didn't have to factor in the cost of a hotel room, but for 2020 I'm going to do just that, as it'll make things much easier and much more convenient if I wanted to take a break, or drop off accumulated merch from the DR/AA, or what have you.

All in all I did enjoy ANYC 2019 and its 46k attendance glory, and I plan on attending again in 2020. I loved walking the streets of NYC with friends when going to get food and then when I walked it myself going to Penn Station to catch my train. I had missed it... because as some of you may not know I used to live in close proximity to NYC, and I love it a lot.