Jump to content
Daniel Perales

Major "Cons" postponed or canceled

Recommended Posts

Hi people!

               I thought we should have a thread listing of cons that are either postponed or cancelled because of this health emergency we're having here in our country.

 

Anime Boston - Cancelled    https://www.animeboston.com/news/article/817

 

Sakura-Con - Cancelled       http://sakuracon.org/

 

A-Con 31 - Postponed        https://www.a-kon.com/

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Daniel Perales said:

Hi people!

               I thought we should have a thread listing of cons that are either postponed or cancelled because of this health emergency we're having here in our country.

 

Anime Boston - Cancelled    https://www.animeboston.com/news/article/817

 

Sakura-Con - Cancelled       http://sakuracon.org/

 

A-Con 31 - Postponed        https://www.a-kon.com/

 

 

 

I can do better: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ChCKFvR7hF_eh3BWdquxavLO_BThhUHvTvoEGdPw6bY/edit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Daniel Perales said:

Another major one...

 

Anime Central - Cancelled              https://www.acen.org/cancellation-of-anime-central-2020/

 

 

 

Yup.. I saw it going down. People got so butthurt.. it was ridiculous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Attendance wise, Anime North looks like a major convention, so it can be added to the list of cancelled or postponed conventions until next year.  

(Anime Frontier, a convention that was going to debut this year will also have to wait until next year.  Both conventions would have been scheduled for May).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lightningneko said:

Attendance wise, Anime North looks like a major convention, so it can be added to the list of cancelled or postponed conventions until next year.  

(Anime Frontier, a convention that was going to debut this year will also have to wait until next year.  Both conventions would have been scheduled for May).

Hi!

     You're right. Anime North falls under the "Major conventions" category, but it's in Canada, and I was leaning more on conventions in the US.  Anyway, it seems like May is the outer fringe of dates when the cancellations or postponements of cons and events are taking place.

      I haven't seen or heard of any cons cancelling or postponing from June on yet.

 

 

 

 

Edited by Daniel Perales

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/25/2020 at 5:54 PM, Daniel Perales said:

Hi!

     You're right. Anime North falls under the "Major conventions" category, but it's in Canada, and I was leaning more on conventions in the US.  Anyway, it seems like May is the outer fringe of dates when the cancellations or postponements of cons and events are taking place.

      I haven't seen or heard of any cons cancelling or postponing from June on yet.

 

 

 

 

E3 (Electronics Entertainment Expo) was cancelled and that's in June....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2020 at 7:17 PM, Daniel Perales said:

Yeah that sucks for those that wanted to go... I didn't want to, but it still sucks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, TomDent said:

Wow! 

  Supposedly like a week before Otakon, too. It's getting there. If Otakon cancels, that would leave me with only 2 conventions left to go this year (New York Comic Con & Anime NYC).

20 minutes ago, TomDent said:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just reading an article on Variety about the cancellation of SDCC. The governor of California is also saying that:

“The prospect of mass gatherings is negligible at best until we get to herd immunity and we get to a vaccine,” Newsom said. “So large-scale events that bring in hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands of strangers, all together across every conceivable difference, health and otherwise, is not in the cards based upon our current guidelines and current expectations.”   

Newsom acknowledged that expectations can change, and he resisted setting any sort of timeline.

But, he added, “When you suggest June, July, August, it is unlikely.”

 

Which I take it means that it's most likely that Anime Expo will be cancelled as well.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Daniel Perales said:

I was just reading an article on Variety about the cancellation of SDCC. The governor of California is also saying that:

“The prospect of mass gatherings is negligible at best until we get to herd immunity and we get to a vaccine,” Newsom said. “So large-scale events that bring in hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands of strangers, all together across every conceivable difference, health and otherwise, is not in the cards based upon our current guidelines and current expectations.”   

Newsom acknowledged that expectations can change, and he resisted setting any sort of timeline.

But, he added, “When you suggest June, July, August, it is unlikely.”

 

Which I take it means that it's most likely that Anime Expo will be cancelled as well.

 

Anime Expo cancelled, too.

 

http://www.anime-expo.org/2020/04/17/anime-expo-return-los-angeles-2021/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SDCC and AX cancelled for this year. I hate to say it, but  it's not looking good, folks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, onsenmark said:

SDCC and AX cancelled for this year. I hate to say it, but  it's not looking good, folks.

I guess we'll wait and see what Otakorp says and decides... we still have a little over 3 months to go. Things can change drastically (yes either way) by then. I'm not giving up hope just yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It really would be news when and if a con does go on as scheduled at this point.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Daniel Perales said:

New York International Auto Show Cancelled. It originally was supposed to be held around April, but then it was posponed for August. It may not be an "anime" con, but it's still a major show:

 

 

https://www.autoshowny.com/

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yeah it was being held at the Javits where NYCC and ANYC happen... I'm just hoping that by some MIRACLE AnimeNYC still happens... If it's not cancelled by like September I'm preregging and going even if I have to wear a mask the entire con (of which I hope won't be the case by then). Daniel are you going to ANYC? We could meet up and get lunch or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still no word locally (from my area), about Liberty Anime Con. Meanwile, ReedPop, who does New York Comic Con has yet to mention anything new, but they were having a series of "virtual" panels from time to time. Also, just to mention, it was sometime earlier last May when they had their first "pre-sale" for their 4 day badges. This year, nothing so far.

 

I did hear from Anime-NYC. They said that it still a go so far, but they are keeping aware and  will let us know if something drastically changes.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, GasparAKAShiggitay said:

Yeah it was being held at the Javits where NYCC and ANYC happen... I'm just hoping that by some MIRACLE AnimeNYC still happens... If it's not cancelled by like September I'm preregging and going even if I have to wear a mask the entire con (of which I hope won't be the case by then). Daniel are you going to ANYC? We could meet up and get lunch or something.

Yes. I've already bought my badge some time ago. But I also told them if they do have to cancel, just roll it over for next year.

 

 

Edited by Daniel Perales
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Daniel Perales said:

Yes. I've already bought my badge some time ago. But I also told them if they do have to cancel, just roll it over for next year.

 

 

Yeah all major cons are making exceptions to their "no refund" policies for this year. I've yet to prereg for AnimeNYC 2020, but I will soon.. I wanna give it time to see how things unfold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Miku Expo in DC will be next on the chopping block

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Daniel Perales said:

You just had to say it:

 

 

https://mikuexpo.com/usaca2020/

 

 

Yeah seriously... It'll be interesting having a Miku Expo concert happening on an odd numbered year... it's usually every other even numbered year...

Edited by GasparAKAShiggitay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean it was bound to happen. Miku Expo DC was in the heart of covid-19 territory in PG county. With all the turmoil this year, it's probably for the best anyway.   Here's hoping Nekocon in November goes on, but I doubt that too. 

On 6/10/2020 at 12:24 AM, Daniel Perales said:

You just had to say it:

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KyoKyo said:

I mean it was bound to happen. Miku Expo DC was in the heart of covid-19 territory in PG county. With all the turmoil this year, it's probably for the best anyway.   Here's hoping Nekocon in November goes on, but I doubt that too. 

 

I'm hoping the same to happen with AnimeNYC, but yeah let's see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're expecting a second wave to happen this fall, so don't get your hopes up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, windseeker said:

They're expecting a second wave to happen this fall, so don't get your hopes up.

Yeah I heard that as well, but let's see what happens. If it runs I'll try and go... If it gets cancelled? Then that's okay too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like "Liberty City Anime Con" here in NYC is done. They sent a twitter out about 19 days ago:

 Ea4eT7wWsAI1-41?format=jpg&name=small

 

Honestly, I don't think they're going through with it. Here in NYC, we're still dealing with the "social distancing" because of Covid-19.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...