Otakon 2021 Guest Requests

I'm pretty sure this is probably still too soon to do this, but someone's gotta get the ball rolling sooner or later.  While it's definitely unfortunate for 2020's Otakon to get canceled, at least there's more than plenty of time to prepare for next year.  And hopefully this pain in the rear pandemic will be done and over with by then.

Since Steve Blum, Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, and Laura Post were originally invited for what would have been this year's edition of Otakon, I hope their invitations can roll into next year's.

So here are the following people I would consider having guests for 2021:

Dub Actors

-Jamie Marchi

-Monica Rial

-Eric Vale

-Justin Briner

-Yuri Lowenthal

-Tara Platt

-Xander Mobus

-Billy Kametz

-Faye Mata

-Chris Hackney

-Kira Buckland

-Karen Strassman

-Crispin Freeman

-Matt Mercer

-Keith Silverstein

-Charlet Chung

-Keith Ferguson

-Brittney Karbowski

-Spike Spencer

-J Michael Tatum

-Brandon McGinnis

-Erica Lindbeck

-Xanthe Hyunh

-Zach Aguilar

-Aleks Le

-Briana Knickerbocker

-Sean Chiplock

Seiyuu

-Yoko Hikasa

-Yoshisugu Matsuoka

-Haruka Tomatsu

-Ai Kayano

Musical Acts

-Fripside

-Linked Horizon

-Eir Aoi

-Lenny Code Fiction

-Lyn (she sang some of the songs on Persona 5)

-Madkid

-Myth and Roid

And what if we had a Power Ranger actor or two?  What if Austin St. John, David Yost, and/or Walter Jones (original red, blue, and black rangers respectively) could be guests?

That's all that comes to mind at the moment.  I hope there can be a little consideration in at least one or two individuals I've listed.  And I can't make any promises, but I'll at least try not to get my hopes up this time.

• 3 weeks later...

Here're my annual requests for:

Seiyuu:
The (5) original Sailor Moon Sailor Senshi Seiyuu (or as many as possible / who's available, but at least the OG 5 would frickin' LEGENDARY):

Mitsuishi Kotono (Tsukino Usagi/Sailor Moon)
Hisakawa Aya (Mizuno Ami/Sailor Mercury)
Tomizawa Michie (Hino Rei/Sailor Mars)
Shinohara Emi (Kino Makoto/Sailor Jupiter)
Fukami Rica (Aino Minako/Sailor Venus)

Seeing the voices of Usagi and Rei on-panel stage performing their famous to the series tongue fights... That'd be too funny. Any other kind of in-character dialogue between the characters would be awesome too, and my Otaku self would be so happy!

Musical Guest:

The awesome, the one... the ONLY... DO AS INFINITY! I've been wanting to see them live for ages. I almost got a chance to go to Japan to see them, but that never happened. They were here in the US at San Japan in San Antonio, TX last year, but that's not a con I can get to easily.  Please bring them to Otakon 2021 or some year soon!!

I think sakuraflorr would be a great cosplay guest maybe with workshops or possibly a panel with deathstrike cosplay

• 1 month later...

Dub VA:
would be nice to see Laura Bailey and Travis Willingham again (2015 i think was their last appearance at Otakon)
Alexis Tipton
Aaron Dismuke
Matt Mercer (the larp will probably close for a while if you get him though XD )

Seiyuu:
Nana Asakawa
Kanna Hashimoto
Hayato Sano

Musical Guest:
Monkey Majik
Oresakband (with their new band mates)
Joe Hisaishi (a huge reach but maybe)

Other guests:

Ilan Eshkeri and Shigeru Umebayashi, composers for the Ghosts of Tsushima soundtrack.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be down for Genie High as a musical guest, but given the nature of that group and everyone's obligations (particularly Ikkyu Nakajima's work with tricot), it might not be workable. I'd say "just bring tricot instead" but I worry that people might look at them and think they're similar to Spark Speaker even though they're not.

I would love is we could get scandal as musical guest or maybe flow would be amazing also I'd really like it if stereopony would get back together for a concert

• 2 months later...

I misread that last post as Masayoshi Soken, and I was all "HOLY CRAP YES". Now, I am disappointed in myself.

But seriously. THE FREAKING PRIMALS. y/y?

(I mean, if only to hear Under The Weight live...)

Edited by onsenmark
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/5/2020 at 6:22 PM, Kewshi said:

I would love is we could get scandal as musical guest or maybe flow would be amazing also I'd really like it if stereopony would get back together for a concert

I've seen Scandal at ACen before... They're good!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, onsenmark said:

Atarashii Gakkou!

New School Term is what that roughly translates to, but it's a JRock band... I see.

Edited by GasparAKAShiggitay
Atarashii Gakkou = New School Term if roughly translated.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

With My Hero Academia's new season being released, I think it would be awesome to have some English VAs from the show! Ricco Fajardo (voice of Mirio in MHA) is in quite a few dubs that are currently airing including Dr Stone. Also, Sk8 The Infinity has been fairly popular as of late, and it would be cool to have the eng VAs from that as well! Jojo's Bizarre Adventure has just been confirmed for another season (part 6), so some VAs and/or animators who worked on the previous parts would be really cool too! As for musical guests, King Gnu would be really awesome to see! They did the ending theme 'Prayer X' for Banana Fish. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2021 at 10:25 PM, fslayer said:

Would you consider inviting D.C. Douglas the Dub and video game VA.

His three big characters are Yoshikage Kira of JoJo, Albert Wesker of Resident Evil for at least 11 years, and Kamoshida in Persona 5.

IIRC, he's not without controversy, somewhere along the lines of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. So if it were up to me, I'd give a "NO" to that.

• 2 weeks later...

I know I said this in my first post already, and I hope this isn't speaking too soon, but whatever guests that were to be a part of last year's canceled Otakon, I hope they can roll into this year.  It's already the case with Laura Post, and whoever else is set to be guests this year (hopefully).  Steve Blum and Mary Elizabeth McGlynn were announced as guests last year, before it was canceled, so I hope their invitations can roll into this year.  Only if their 100% okay with going, and fully vaccinated, that is.

For this time around, I don't care too much of who the staff invites for guests this year.  I'll just be happy that Otakon can actually be a thing this year.  IF it will be a thing, that is.

Until then, let's just keep doing what we've all been doing- washing our hands, staying 6 feet apart when we can, wear our masks, and get vaccinated.  I've already got my 2 shots of the Pfizer vac, and I encourage all to get vaccinated.

Sofia Alexander (creator of Crunchyroll’s anime inspired Onyx Equinox)

Tatsuki Fujimoto (Chainsaw Man mangaka)

Naoya Matsumoto (mangaka of Kaiju No.8)

Zombie Chang

Kumo Kagyu, author of Goblin Slayer

Fuse, author of the Slime LNs

Here is a list of Dub actors I would love to see be invited as guests to Otakon

-Erica Lindbeck

-Laura Stahl

-Khoi Dao

-Jamieson Price

-Billy Kametz

-Mela Lee

-Kira Buckland

-Zach Augilar

-Allegra Clark

-Kayli Mills

-Chris Hackney

-Joe Zieja

-Ben Diskin

-Sean Chiplock

-Cristina Valenzuela

-Amber Lee Connors 

-AmaLee

-Ricco Fajardo

-Alexis Tipton

-Brina Palencia

-Yuri Lowenthal

-Tara Platt

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I know Zach Aguilar mentioned hes open to guesting at conventions this year, Khoi Dao Griffin Burns and Erika Harlacher would be neat too! All english voice actors for popular characters in Genshin Impact. Vtubers is a neat accessible idea too but not sure how it would work.

• Like 1

Here's a few people off the top of my head for domestic guests I'd like to see:

- Caitlin Glass

- Colleen Clinkenbeard

- Brittany Lauda

- Matt Shipman

- Howard Wang

- Alejandro Saab

- Kaiji Tang

- Clifford Chapin

Honestly, really just hoping they can get some more people at all (esp when you look at who other cons like AnimeNYC have announced already)

• 2 weeks later...

I literally only made an account to request this and it’s probably too late to invite anyone new, but - as Genshin Impact is a relatively hot topic, I would love to request the following (especially since Zach Aguilar will be attending):

-Josey Montana McCoy

-Khoi Dao

-Sean Chiplock

-Griffin Burns

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, onsenmark said:

Yes. His name brings drama, thus we don't say it. Everyone has opinions, though.

That may be true, but honestly, anyone and everyone who stands with HIM should be ashamed of themselves.  This goes double for people on the staff.