Otakon.Online schedule is up!

First of all, thanks to Otakon for doing this. It sucks that we can't be there together physically, but we are together in spirit.

That being said, the schedule is here.

Initial impressions:

- I might actually catch a little bit of the opening ceremonies this year. I've been going since 1994 but don't think I've ever seen them, since I can't be in multiple places at once. Ditto Otaku no Video - haven't watched it this century IIRC.

- MAT3K is back again! Haven't missed one yet. I wonder what they'll do this year.

- Even now, with all this tech, I might still miss panels because they're scheduled against each other. (Would that all my problems were this trivial.) Good news is that I've seen a couple of them at previous cons, and there's nothing stopping me from 'flipping channels' to switch between them.

Conclusion: Since the pandemic started and quarantining, I've been spending my Saturday nights with my family for dinner and a movie. (Supporting local restaurants, not 'too lazy to cook'.) Looks like I'm missing it this weekend. They'll just have to go on without me.

That being said, there was mention that Otakon was looking into avenues to sell merchandise from this year's con. Was there any progress on that? Or a way to kick in via Paypal or the like?

Maybe I just expected it to run later than it apparently will. But I see myself hanging in the HQ room for the most part until mid-afternoon, maybe ducking out for my friend Daryl Surat's panel on the dark ages of 1990 then later checking out either the Toho panel or Spider-Man Has A Giant WHAT? before wrapping things up with the music panel. And then, I guess, I'll have the rest of the night to myself.

10 hours ago, Revan said:

Even now, with all this tech, I might still miss panels because they're scheduled against each other. (Would that all my problems were this trivial.) Good news is that I've seen a couple of them at previous cons, and there's nothing stopping me from 'flipping channels' to switch between them.

If you have multiple devices, you could possibly attend both panels simultaneously!

10 hours ago, Revan said:

That being said, there was mention that Otakon was looking into avenues to sell merchandise from this year's con. Was there any progress on that?

They said on the Otakon.Online announcement stream last night that there WILL be merch available!

I have to say I'm very much looking forward to this.

Each summer, Otakon is my de facto birthday celebration. That's true now even though I am in my 50s.

With this setup, we're going to have several screens to set up the different rooms and panels! I'll have one main channel on the big TV living room, another on a desktop computer in the same room, third upstairs in my wife's sanctuary, another will be on my phone. I think that covers almost everything.

Oh, and I'll be wearing one of my old badges to boot.

Otakon, I definitely want to thank you very much for this.

By the way, what is going on with the pigeon Channel?

On 7/27/2020 at 6:03 AM, Revan said:

That being said, there was mention that Otakon was looking into avenues to sell merchandise from this year's con. Was there any progress on that? Or a way to kick in via Paypal or the like?

Merch is up now on the Otakon.Online page (towards bottom)

I have to say, after a few hiccups it seemed to go pretty well overall. (Though the sound on at least one panel was...not good.) The panel mix was decent (which is what I really go for at the con), but the 30 minute limit felt kind of odd when I'm used to 45 minute - 1 hour panels. The biggest advantage was switching to another panel took a few seconds instead of schlepping across the WEWCC.

This is the 1st time I can remember actually attending the opening and closing ceremonies. I'm usually at a panel for the former and on the way home for the latter.

I bought a couple of tshirts and grabbed a pair of the large mugs for my brother and I (plus kicked in a little more to the CustomInk campaign, as was my intention). (Does anyone know how wide the 36 oz. mug is? I'm always looking for a mug for my tea and I'm curious if my strainer will fit it.) I probably spent more this year in the 'dealer's room' this year than in a long time. Speaking of the dealer's room, was Discover Teas going to have a booth this year? I would have probably dropped a good bit there, as I buy waaaay too much tea, but I just love trying new ones.

I'm off to GenCon online. Ironically enough, they have a MAT3K tonight as well. Thanks once again to everyone at Otakon for their efforts.

Edited by Revan