Otakon Online 2020: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

The Good:

• Otakon still going on in some way, even though we could not be at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center together.
  • People willing to volunteer their time to entertain us. Much appreciated! 😀 🤜🤛 🙂

The Bad:

• The volume levels on the presentations were all over the map. You could barely hear one person, but have your ears blown off when changing to a different channel.
  • Would have liked to see a dedicated Anime channel, even if it was something we have seen 100s of times. Twitch has done Pokemon and Yugi Oh marathons, so it may be possible to get rights to broadcast something old or not very popular (original Ronin Warriors?).

The Ugly:

• COVID-19! 🤬
  • Like 1

I didn't actually partake in Otakon Online, but if it still counts for somethings, I'll still give my thoughts on it.

The Good

-It was better than nothing

-People among the staff who were willing to go out of there way to make Otakon happen in some form

The Bad

-The main reason I didn't take part in it was simply because there wasn't a thing they had going that even interested me.  And because of that, I chose to sit out on it.

-Although having it all happen online was definitely better than nothing, it's just not the same as when you're actually there at the con, being among your fellow anime fans, and celebrating the medium you love.

The Ugly

-The obvious one being the freaking pandemic.  I'm REALLY hoping that it will done and over with when we get into 2021.

-You guys didn't do a thing with Steve Blum and Mary Elizabeth McGlynn.  You guys planned on having them as guests before 2020's Otakon got cancelled, and you ended up not doing anything with them?  No virtual Q and A?  No nothing with Steve and Mary?  Unless they both had something else happening on their ends, there's no excuse.  Because I've seen several other cons do things with the guests they would have online such as live stream Q and As, and what have you.  I really, REALLY hope you guys will at least try to have their invitations roll into 2021's Otakon, because I'd hate to see their invitations go to waste.

The Good:

I was shocked that the Carole and Tuesday panel was live since it means those guys were in a studio at like midnight, so it was great that they took questions from the twitch chat.

Twitch moderation was also great- the staff did their best to address issues on the stream.

The Bad:

The usual technical mishaps- audio issues, video drops, etc.

The panel lengths were too short at 30 minutes.

The Ugly:

I'm not about to complain about you guys pulling an event together when the entire world is on fire.  You guys turned chicken poop into chicken salad.

Edited by DeathJester
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The mods were rockstars. The presentation was slick. It was really easy to move from "room to room," so to speak, on Twitch.

The volume was, yeah, all over the place. This was a huge problem with MAT3K, where I had to turn my TV way up to hear things clearly. And I wish some of the panels had had more time. I'm not sure if this was necessarily communicated to a couple of the presenters who mentioned things like "oh I only have 30 minutes."

As much as I love Otakon, attending it online never really piq'd my fancy... I had initially intended on doing a panel/streaming for Otakon.Online, but then I realized all the work I'd want to put into it and it was too short notice for me to do it in time. With all that said, I hope y'all had fun and let's hope we can all hang out in person in 2021.

I've been meaning to post my view of the Otakon Online since now I can compare with the ones I logged into the beginning of July (FUNimation, Aniplex, and Anime-Expo).

The Good:

Otakon made a good effort to get this thing together. It didn't feel like a telethon like the other virtual cons. I did enjoy some of the panels. Navigating from one virtual room to another was not difficult.

The "Carole and Tuesday" Screening/Panel was really great.

The Twitch Chat was great to ask questions and to chat with fellow virtual attendees.

The Bad:

First this is not a knock for the people who put this together, I know this wasn't easy. Having said that, not all panels was interesting, but it also happens at a live convention, too.

The Ugly:

This whole thing just reminds me that online conventions can't really replace an actual live one. 

I enjoyed all of the con I got to watch some of the things I wanted to see I didn't get to but that happens even at physical cons haha but I think it went well