Otakon T-Shirts from 1994-Now?

Question

I know I remember seeing all the t-shirt designs from 1994-Now at the Ota Museum the past few years, but are any of them re-create-able for sale? I started going to Ota in 2009, and I'd love to have con merch (like the shirts) from 1994-2009 and beyond that I don't have. Can anyone shed any light on this?

6 answers to this question

Short answer: some of the earlier ones are complicated by copyright issues, which we discovered when we tried to arrange something cool for our 10th.  At least one of the early ones is probably not reprintable at all, if memory serves because it uses a character we don't have rights to. In other cases it's likely that either we don't have access to quality version of art, or don't have the correct agreement in place for reprint -- it was a few years before we got the hang of that stuff.  But I've seen the odd shirt show up on eBay.

13 hours ago, alabaster said:

Short answer: some of the earlier ones are complicated by copyright issues, which we discovered when we tried to arrange something cool for our 10th.  At least one of the early ones is probably not reprintable at all, if memory serves because it uses a character we don't have rights to. In other cases it's likely that either we don't have access to quality version of art, or don't have the correct agreement in place for reprint -- it was a few years before we got the hang of that stuff.  But I've seen the odd shirt show up on eBay.

Thank you for that thorough answer, Jim. I appreciate it and I'll look out for the odd shirt up on eBay.

2 hours ago, Revan said:

For the record, this is the T-shirt in question:

0901201601-00a.jpg.7d45853ddc04dd105b2803a5267dc823.jpg0901201601-01a.jpg.2d4225e24d6b77aca025e5665e5d0907.jpg

As I've said before on this forum, it's my favorite shirt I never wear.

I was not sure which year it was, but that is also my favorite. Alas, it sits in a drawer never to be worn again because I don't want to wear it out.

Edited by Clutch