Will there be a maid café this year?

On 1/1/2021 at 10:46 AM, KyoKyo said:

I'll be happy if there's an Otakon at all this year...

I was wondering how it will be possible to hold Otakon, since the roll-out of vaccines is not looking good right now. How would you do Social Distancing anywhere in the rooms? How long would the line to the Dealer's Hall be with everyone 6 feet apart? I would be happy to keep my Otakon attendance streak going, but have my doubts about it occurring in 2021 safely. Time will tell.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2021 at 6:33 PM, Clutch said:

I was wondering how it will be possible to hold Otakon, since the roll-out of vaccines is not looking good right now. How would you do Social Distancing anywhere in the rooms? How long would the line to the Dealer's Hall be with everyone 6 feet apart? I would be happy to keep my Otakon attendance streak going, but have my doubts about it occurring in 2021 safely. Time will tell.

I'm thinking the same as well. I mean, AnimeNEXT already announced they're going to have an "Online" convention this year because the Atlantic City Convention Center is going to be used as a vaccination "mega-site" at the time the con supposed to be held. I speculate that this can also happen to the Walter E. Washington Convention Center as well. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2021 at 1:11 AM, Daniel Perales said:

I'm thinking the same as well. I mean, AnimeNEXT already announced they're going to have an "Online" convention this year because the Atlantic City Convention Center is going to be used as a vaccination "mega-site" at the time the con supposed to be held. I speculate that this can also happen to the Walter E. Washington Convention Center as well. 

At this point I'm hoping for Nekocon in November 2021 and that's it. I haven't bothered to register for Otakon and I doubt I will just to be disappointed again.

In regards to the vaccination "mega-site" I'm predicting a repeat of last year where the WWCC was "Desperately needed" as a field hospital then wound up sitting empty.

As much as I'd love to have Otakon this year I think it'd be best to have your expectations low, and just plan for 2022. Dr. Fauci is hoping that by the fall 85% of the population in the US is going to be vaccinated, and only then some sense of normalcy can return, but we'll just have to wait and see. There's a similar debate going on about Anime Boston on FaceBook in group Anime Boston Social (if not elsewhere as well). It's yet to be cancelled, but there would have been pre-reg announcements and hotel block releases/other forms of promotion by now if it was a sure thing to happen in 2021...  I assume it's similar for Otakon as well. 

At this point I'm hoping for Nekocon in November 2021 and that's it. I haven't bothered to register for Otakon and I doubt I will just to be disappointed again.

I've been wanting to hit up NekoCon as well since I have a friend in Newport News / Hampton Roads I could possibly stay with...

Edited by GasparAKAShiggitay
Added quote reply
On 1/22/2021 at 5:07 AM, GasparAKAShiggitay said:

As much as I'd love to have Otakon this year I think it'd be best to have your expectations low, and just plan for 2022. Dr. Fauci is hoping that by the fall 85% of the population in the US is going to be vaccinated, and only then some sense of normalcy can return, but we'll just have to wait and see. There's a similar debate going on about Anime Boston on FaceBook in group Anime Boston Social (if not elsewhere as well). It's yet to be cancelled, but there would have been pre-reg announcements and hotel block releases/other forms of promotion by now if it was a sure thing to happen in 2021...  I assume it's similar for Otakon as well. 

I've been wanting to hit up NekoCon as well since I have a friend in Newport News / Hampton Roads I could possibly stay with...

There is one piece of information that they are not discussing in regards to vaccinations: Are these vaccinations going to be an annual thing similar to seasonal flu? I suspect you will not be seeing international guests for 2 or more years as wise people will not leave their home country in an unknown environment - especially if they have any type of chronic medical issue. I would even move a step stronger - I would imagine you may see regulations denying admittance for those with medical conditions to conventions - restrictions in place from the government - due to their suscepitibility & increased medical requirements, as a form of precautionary measure. Welcome to the new police state.

As to Dr. Fauci, please consider more than his opinion as he has changed his mind, flip flopping more frequently than a ping pong match.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Zeeba Neighba said:

Whose opinion is more reliable than his?

Got a reliable source for that?

Never rely upon a single person for anything. You should look at many opinions & make an educated decision. No one person is 100% correct or an expert on everything. Where this has been on-going, this along with many other doctors, have been in one stance & then change as information is made available. I place higher value upon doctors that are not part of government, that have a reason to state a position as a term of their employment & not only as a term of their oath to patients.

As to sourcing: depending upon what you consider reliable, which would be based upon personal politics, I do have this one most recent: https://nypost.com/2021/01/24/dr-fauci-needs-to-be-held-responsible-for-mistakes-devine/ however, a simple search within Bing Google etc. seem to bring up in one instance over 15 million results to review.

At the end of the day - its up to the individual to research & make their decision. I am not responsible for anyone but myself.

2 hours ago, kalyoth said:

Sorry, but any opinion piece published by a Rupert Murdoch-owned source should be taken with several billion grains of salt.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/new-york-post/

2 hours ago, kalyoth said:

its up to the individual to research

Nope, it's up to the person who makes a claim to prove it.  It sure ain't my job to do your homework for you.  YOU made the claim that Dr. Fauci is unreliable, so the burden of proof is on YOU.  And you'll have to use better sources than some opinion piece from the New York Post.

Nekocon is a great convention. It's a big small convention. Great facility and incredibly easy to access since the HRCC has a massive parking lot, free of charge.

DO IT lol