Will you be comfortable to attend an "in person" con this year (2021)?

Hi All!

I'm just curious what everyone thinks about this. I mean, there are already cons that are either being canceled, postponed, or going virtual again at least for the first half of the year. I would like to assume that they may be a chance that enough people will be vaccinated for Covid-19 by the second half of the year. Then maybe, the powers to be will give the ok to resume large gatherings, again.  

The big question is: Will you be comfortable to attend?

The cons that I attend, AnimeNEXT already announced they're going "virtual" this year. I give Otakon live a very slim chance to happen this year. New York Comic Con and Anime-NYC has a much better chance to happen since it's going to be on the last quarter of the year.

After I'm vaccinated, sure. I'm in phase 2 so it shouldn't be that long.

That being said, and I've talked about this a bit in the Discord, it's not really up to me or us otaku or even Otakorp whether these cons can all go on. It's all dependent on the facts on the ground and the restrictions the District has in place (not to mention whatever travel restrictions remain in place on a regional, national or international level). One of my cons set for June in Los Angeles punted to August 2022 because there just wasn't any other option. And it's not even that big an event.

And then you have the no man's land of, you know, let's say WEWCC is open but they have to cap attendance at 20,000 or something. All of a sudden the math starts to fall apart. I don't speak for Otakon, obviously, but I know that they're thinking through the what if's.

I think it'll be a while before big cons like Ota and Mag and SDCC and AX and Anime NYC are really feasible again. I'm hoping to go to Otakon this year. I miss my friends. But I'm not getting my hopes up.

• Like 1
On 1/21/2021 at 7:34 PM, Daniel Perales said:

I hope I get vaccinated myself by then as well.

I don't plan on it unless I'm forced to in order to attend a convention and if that happens, then I might just ditch cons entirely.  My job exposes me to covid hazards every day and I haven't had so much as a sniffle since this whole thing started. Both my wife and mother-in-law got it and were asymptomatic. I was tested and came back negative.   Maybe I'm lucky and my cells are hard at work. Who knows.

I think the entire convention industry is going to undergo a massive "reboot" after this pandemic scales down. I personally don't think large fan-run cons like Otakon will survive in their current form, if at all, and the smaller ones like Nekocon will pick up the remains.  I hope I'm wrong but it looks like the direction we're headed in.

On 1/28/2021 at 10:57 AM, KyoKyo said:

I think the entire convention industry is going to undergo a massive "reboot" after this pandemic scales down. I personally don't think large fan-run cons like Otakon will survive in their current form, if at all, and the smaller ones like Nekocon will pick up the remains.  I hope I'm wrong but it looks like the direction we're headed in.

Yeah, and I think that after the fires are put out, we'll figure out what conventions look like going forward. I think we've seen the end of shoulder-to-shoulder dealer's rooms and any kind of raves for at least the next few years or more. But I don't think a lot of smaller cons are long for this world either. Look at what the prospect of two years sidelined could do to Otakon. MAGFest is hurting. Katsucon is hurting. AUSA's venue no longer exists.