Anime Boston 2021 Cancellation Notice

I do not wish to say it but i suspect you can go Through December again this year with that. Remember, conventions only occur with local government approvals. Until they can feel unaccountable for the normal activities of society, you will not see said government reopen society. They have seized control so to speak of that civil liberty from society & will fight very hard to never give it back. Society has to push back & prove with overwhelming evidence that the control needs to be released. Stay safe & help keep others safe.

6 hours ago, kalyoth said:

Until they can feel unaccountable for the normal activities of society, you will not see said government reopen society.

For heaven's sakes, what governments are doing is following the advice of doctors.  You know, the people who are supposed to know what's best for our health.

6 hours ago, kalyoth said:

Society has to push back & prove with overwhelming evidence

That overwhelming evidence will come from doctors.  So unless you're one of them, I don't think you're in much of a position to claim that mass gatherings are safe.

• Like 2

Taking the extreme emotion of your response out of it - I never suggested I was a medical doctor or that mass gatherings were currently safe. Having local experience through the Boston Marathon events, I have seen government using situational control upon the population.

For me in MA having been through having the actual bug, there is significant involvement of medical doctors in my local town & their opinions are being followed appropriately. For my family in other parts of the state, their officials have been subject to the opinions of titled or academic doctors opinions & not actual practicing medical professionals. They have had to fight in court to reopen their society similar to steps available to others with actual medical data collected by the state medical doctors. This was in an environment where public data was better or lower than open areas in other communities in the state.

I'm not suggesting you have to go out & exceed normal avenues of public engagement & dispute resolution. Sometimes government just gets it wrong & you have to present it to them again so they can re-evaluate. Government is not infallible, nor do they have a track record of doing anything right, on budget or on time. It's the citizen's responsibility to help them be what we elect them to be: responsible.

14 hours ago, kalyoth said:

Taking the extreme emotion of your response

Oh, and you displayed none at all, huh?

14 hours ago, kalyoth said:

Sometimes government just gets it wrong

Well, I'll admit our national government certainly made a hash of things early on by not doing nearly enough; the same goes for numerous states.  But now that we finally have some adults in charge at the federal level, we'll finally start seeing the aggressive moves that should have been taken right from the get-go.  And this will be because the guys now in charge are the ones who take DOCTORS seriously.

Now can you please, please, PLEASE stop dragging these threads off-topic?

Honestly, 2021 is going to be another bust for anime conventions and as mentioned in other posts, I'll be impressed and pleasantly surprised if many of them come back at all.  This pandemic has permanently changed the fandom and not for the better. 

On 2/8/2021 at 9:58 PM, Zeeba Neighba said:

And this will be because the guys now in charge are the ones who take DOCTORS seriously.

You mean Fauci, specifically....

2 hours ago, KyoKyo said:

You mean Fauci

Given he actually knows his stuff when it comes to things like COVID-19, it's certainly understandable.

2 hours ago, KyoKyo said:

This pandemic has permanently changed the fandom

It's always darkest before the dawn.  I'm positive the fandom WILL make a comeback; we all just need to be patient.

• 4 weeks later...

Certain states are already pushing for full capacity events right now so its really going to be DC's call again on whether Otakon can happen.  I am going to be cautiously optimistic and hope that the vaccine rollout goes as planned and we can have a proper Otakon this year.

Here's a potential good sign: Gen Con is postponing their date for a month, but it's still set to go on this year.

They plan to have:

• Smaller attendance numbers to comply with public health mandates and enable safer-attendance procedures.
  • Potential combinations of social distancing, mask wearing, and vaccination requirements as determined by public health guidelines.

I wonder how they plan to pull off the latter, especially in areas like the Dealers Room.

Here's hoping we have an Otakon this year. (I could really use the vacation.)

Edited by Revan
4 hours ago, Revan said:

Here's a potential good sign: Gen Con is postponing their date for a month, but it's still set to go on this year.

They plan to have:

• Smaller attendance numbers to comply with public health mandates and enable safer-attendance procedures.
  • Potential combinations of social distancing, mask wearing, and vaccination requirements as determined by public health guidelines.

I wonder how they plan to pull off the latter, especially in areas like the Dealers Room.

Here's hoping we have an Otakon this year. (I could really use the vacation.)

Well, Otakon can begin by limiting the number of attendees, for one (people who rolled their pre-reg from the year before should have priority). Much wider aisles in the Dealer's Room. Having chairs spread further apart in the Videos and Panel rooms. Skip the Concerts, Dance, and Cosplay shows this year (Hall cosplays can still go on). Have "Arcade-style" controllers in the Video Game room that can be wiped down with disinfectant after every use.   

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Daniel Perales said:

Well, Otakon can begin by limiting the number of attendees, for one (people who rolled their pre-reg from the year before should have priority). Much wider aisles in the Dealer's Room. Having chairs spread further apart in the Videos and Panel rooms. Skip the Concerts, Dance, and Cosplay shows this year (Hall cosplays can still go on). Have "Arcade-style" controllers in the Video Game room that can be wiped down with disinfectant after every use.   

While all that is good and dandy in theory, it'd be super hard to enforce. I'm ofc not staff, but I just think it'd be irresponsible to run an Ota this year, as much as I want it to happen. I guess we'll see how it all turns out closer to the con.. We're still in March with many months to go.

Anyway, yeah.. AB not happening this year was a bummer... It didn't hit me as hard as it did last year (when I was a literal emotional wreck for no rational reason), but still a c-c-combo breaker. I'd been going since 2009 nonstop, so tradition breaker too...

Edited by GasparAKAShiggitay