Have you ever encountered Otakon attendees outside of the con?

I met my 2nd one yesterday when I went to renew my AAA membership. As he was scanning a DC guidebook I picked up, I commented how I was hoping that the con would be on this year. He asked which one, and when I said Otakon, he replied, "The one in Baltimore? I've been to it a few times." (Obviously not recently, as he didn't know about the move do DC.)

The other person who attended worked at a grocery store I frequent. She saw my Otakon shirt and asked if I was going, and we talked for a few minutes about the con while she rang out my groceries. I haven't seen her at the store for a while, so I don't know if she still attends.

So, has anyone else randomly found fellow con goers?

Met a guy on my UPS delivery route who runs a smoke shop. Talking to him one day when I delivered he mentioned how he was worn out from a busy weekend because he had a convention to go to. I casually said "oh, like some sort of tobacco industry con?" He hesitated before saying "no....uh an anime convention." I asked him was it Otakon. "....yes...."  Once I broke the ice he went full on fanboy. It was pretty funny.  I still see his car every now and then with a NERV sticker on the back and a Zero Two sticker with "WAIFU" written across her face. 

I did ran into Gaspar at a Hatsune Miku 2018 concert here in NYC.

Yup and it was a pleasure meeting you Danny (Or do you prefer Daniel?).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On 3/3/2021 at 8:21 AM, Daniel Perales said:

How could I forget Jim "Alabaster" Vowles. I ran into him in one of the New York Comic Cons a few years earlier. I remember telling him "Welcome to my neighborhood!".

I remember that!  I miss going to NYCC and variations thereof. Nice to have fun at a con with. none of the work. :)

I've run into quite a few of you here and there over the years.

On 3/4/2021 at 9:57 PM, alabaster said:

I remember that!  I miss going to NYCC and variations thereof. Nice to have fun at a con with. none of the work. :)

I've run into quite a few of you here and there over the years.

I don't think I've personally met you, not at least realizing it was you. haha.

Because I live in MA, I run into far more Anime Boston attendees than I do Otakon....but anytime I run into someone that likes Anime, I ask if they've been....and why they should go if they haven't!

9 hours ago, KellyMae said:

Because I live in MA, I run into far more Anime Boston attendees than I do Otakon....but anytime I run into someone that likes Anime, I ask if they've been....and why they should go if they haven't!

Well, I went to Anime Boston back in 2013, so perhaps we may have crossed paths then.  Or perhaps not.

I just remembered another one, and he should have been at the top of the list. I worked* with someone who used to go to Otakon, but he and his wife made the decision to go with Zenkaikon over Otakon when cutting back on expenses. (I remember one of the last years in Baltimore I heard him talking outside of Video 2 on Friday morning. I asked him about it the week after and he said that was him.)

*He's still with the company, but I haven't seen him since the corporate part of our business moved to another location over a year ago. Out of sight, out of mind, I suppose.

On 3/9/2021 at 9:18 PM, Zeeba Neighba said:

Well, I went to Anime Boston back in 2013, so perhaps we may have crossed paths then.  Or perhaps not.

Quite possible! I wasn't working the con back then, so I was a normal attendee.  I always ran the Sailor Moon panels among others ;)

On 3/9/2021 at 11:50 AM, KellyMae said:

Eyyyyyyyyyy I'm out in Boston! Cleveland Circle area! xD

1 hour ago, windseeker said:

I met a fellow cosplayer from Otakon at Anime USA, that count?

I mean you did meet them outside the confines of Otakon... I'd say that 100% counts haha.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/8/2021 at 1:58 AM, GasparAKAShiggitay said:

I don't think I've personally met you, not at least realizing it was you. haha.

Didn't you make it to Vegas?  Or maybe I ran into you in Panel Ops or something?  

Honestly, I've met so many folks over the years who knew me from being on stage or from here, the data is often left untagged in the hard drive of my brain. Especially because at con I'm so exhausted.... :)

9 minutes ago, alabaster said:

Didn't you make it to Vegas?  Or maybe I ran into you in Panel Ops or something?  

Honestly, I've met so many folks over the years who knew me from being on stage or from here, the data is often left untagged in the hard drive of my brain. Especially because at con I'm so exhausted.... :)

Haha no I didn't attend Ota Vegas at all, but maybe I "met" you at PanelOps? Not sure. And I echo the exhausted part when at a con, though for different reasons, but still.