Improving chances for 2021

According to the news the DC Mayor announced most venues can completely reopen without capacity restrictions on May 21, and large venues and sports arenas can reopen without capacity restrictions on June 11. The Mayor also announced that the District would start dismantling the overflow hospital in the convention center since it was never utilized.

Indoor mask restrictions will remain in place for the time being.

Excellent news for a chance for the convention to possibly move forward.

• Like 1

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/dc-aims-full-reopening-masks-june-11-77607262?cid=clicksource_4380645_6_heads_posts_headlines_hed

Pleasantly surprised by this news, though it is way too soon to celebrate (still, before this announcement I was simply waiting for the official cancelation). Just coming out of our worst wave since last spring here in Michigan. 

Edited by The Tsunami

I'm cautiously optimistic, I guess. But just because Otakon could theoretically be held at full capacity doesn't mean that anywhere near the same number of people will be comfortable going to an anime convention in August. A situation where Otakon has to run at a massive loss could be ruinous. But we don't know what all the staff is planning.

Edited by Aresef

That's good news. We'll be happy to attend regardless and I hope enough people decide to go so Otakon can recoup some of its losses. 

13 hours ago, Aresef said:

I'm cautiously optimistic, I guess. But just because Otakon could theoretically be held at full capacity doesn't mean that anywhere near the same number of people will be comfortable going to an anime convention in August. A situation where Otakon has to run at a massive loss could be ruinous. But we don't know what all the staff is planning.

I have a thread going asking this same question.

https://board.otakon.com/index.php?/topic/29760-will-you-be-comfortable-to-attend-an-in-person-con-this-year-2021/

Thinking on this today; I realized that barring another major spike that could trigger a new lock down, it's almost a certainty that Otakon will take place this summer. With no state of emergency the convention is locked into its contractual obligations and would have to pay for the convention center regardless of whether or not they use it.

Hopefully the trends continue positive, the fans show up, (and Otakon pinches a few extra pennies just to be safe).

• Like 1

I wonder what the actually registration number has to be for it to not be that bankrupting experience for costs. I know real numbers get shaky when people try to deep dive into them. Figure I'd try for a vague number that has no true reason to be spun like the balance sheet is normally.

As of this Friday, Maryland Governor Hogan is removing all indoor COVID requirements (minus masks) ranging from restaurants to large-scale ticketed events like sports and conventions. He said he hopes to remove the mask mandate by Memorial Day once the state hits a 70% vaccination rate of at least 1 round of vaccines per adult over 18.  Maryland is currently sitting at 65%. 

On 5/13/2021 at 7:17 PM, Hainiryuun said:

My hope is that if Otakon does happen, it being the first of the "big cons" to actually go on in person will drive people that normally wouldn't attend to attend.

The tack being taken by Reed and by Awesome Con (which is also in August) is potentially instructive. LeftField, which runs Awesome Con, also runs ANYC. It just happens that, of all of these, Otakon is first out the gate.

Edited by Aresef
The tack being taken by Reed and by Awesome Con (which is also in August) is potentially instructive. The same people run both Awesome Con and ANYC.

AnimeNYC isn't ReedPop... It's Left Field Media, consisting of former Reed members.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just now, GasparAKAShiggitay said:

AnimeNYC isn't ReedPop... It's Left Field Media, consisting of former Reed members.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know that. I could've been clearer though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2021 at 8:21 AM, Daniel Perales said:

I bet the cosplay folks are going to be really creative to integrate masks into some of their costumes. 

Lots of Overhaul cosplayers lol

7 minutes ago, TnAdct1 said:

For those who didn't see it on Facebook: Otakon 2021 is a go, although with some obvious changes this year due to the pandemic (i.e. no international guests, possible earlier close times).

Yeah with the restrictions that could be put in place it'll be interesting to say the least... I'm still on the fence on attending partly for that reason, but we'll see.

Edited by GasparAKAShiggitay
17 hours ago, TnAdct1 said:

For those who didn't see it on Facebook: Otakon 2021 is a go, although with some obvious changes this year due to the pandemic (i.e. no international guests, possible earlier close times).

I think I have speculated this somewhere. People shouldn't expect international guest (since COVID is still strong in other parts of the world). I've also mentioned that there should be no "Dance", and I think the seating's in both Panels and Video rooms should be placed at least 6 feet apart. Dealer's room should have wider aisles to minimize congestion.   

Yeah I'm technically gonna be fully vaccinated by June 15th, as I just a few days got my 2nd Moderna "Fauci Ouchie" as I like to call it... I did go out with friends here in Boston for the first time in almost 2y last night though... it was nice.

Edited by GasparAKAShiggitay