Otakon 2021 AMV Contest/Theater FAQ

Oh boy, here I go AMVing again!

Otakon 2021 is back open for business, and so is AMV Theater.
AMV Theater will be running all convention-weekend as-normal.  The con itself has to run reduced hours, as they need 8 hours to clean the building each night, but if the con's open, we're open.

AMV Contest Finalists:
AllyKatAVR
BecauseImBored1
BleachShippu5678
CrackTheSky
drewaconclusion
Gina Nelson
HagarenViper
hamstar138
HiddenWhiteFang
Ileia
JMI Productions
Kireblue
Lelani
lokkiclu
Mycathatesyou69
Nekokitkat
Opner
PiercedSky
Ramen Noodle Productions
Rider4Z
SailorTardis
SasukeChanx
SilkAMV
Speedy180
Synaesthesia Productions
TarageAMV
TheLazyDaze
Toon Addict Productions
Trenzilla
Troubleclef
Tsunderbird Studios (Pikapwn)
Under The Box Productions (Davis 51)
UnluckyArtist
Xyik AMVs
Yuka770

AMV Contest Non-Finalists (Didn't make the contest, but also didn't get disqualified):
AbyssBreaking Studios
Aly-san
AMVs with The Franxx
Andee Griffeth
AngelicWraith Studios
Autumn Eichhorn
Azukano
Casual-Swimmer
Cosplay Joe
danthemanred
Dapple Deer Production
Dexter
DJ Jonny Blaze
Drabaz
Dragon Girl Sam
Elena
fairylily
G-ryu Productions
GoldnJeans11
Jeffrey Rolek
Kazemon15
KeiichiFace
L33t4rtist
MadMegatax
Maxikot
Melee!
MidnightWolfCry14
Mihanbao
MiraKayla
Mysunsai
Nuke
One Day til Deadline Production
PantsAMV
PerkyPastry
petersyams
Princess Mareep
Prostrate Constantly
Rurounigatts
shorisquared
Silent Hero
SleepySaiken
SonsofKorhal9
Spec Spider Ken
Starbug AMVs
Tasha
The Light Music Club
Tsunderbird Studios (PieAndBeer)
TwigglyFiggly
Tyken
Under The Box Productions (Krigen)
Visual Reality Studios (VRS)
whitormiss
Xerxes Productions
ZeonicFreak

The AMV Contest:
Unfortunately the convention center took away the "big room" that we used for featured events (The AMV Contest) and turned it into a broadcast studio.  As such, the AMV Contest will be restricted to AMV Theater.  We will have 3 screenings, one Friday evening, one Saturday late morning, and one Saturday early evening.  All 3 will have voting.  This should allow us to seat 1,400 people.  AMV Contest Awards (Sunday) will also take place in this room, with the first place winners also being screened during closing ceremonies.  It's not ideal, and it's something we'll re-evaluate for 2022, but when you've only got 60 days to program a con, you stick with the devil you know 😕

AMV Contest Entrant Perks
If you entered a video in this year's contest and weren't disqualified (so...everyone above), you're entitled to 3 ribbons (one for you, two for your homies).  You can pick up these ribbons at PROGRAMMING OPS (WEWCC 209A-C, there's a sign outside).  Bring some form of ID that says you're you.
These ribbons entitle you to reserved seating at any of the 3 AMV Contest screenings, and the AMV Contest Awards presentation.  Because we expect each event to completely fill, we will start giving away seats in the reserved section 10 minutes prior to the event starting, so be sure you show up with at-least 10 minutes to spare.

Non-Finalist Screenings
Every video that we received that did NOT make the final contest, will be shown during one of our three non-finalist screenings sprinkled throughout the weekend.  Videos will be screened alphabetically by studio name, so if your studio name starts with A, you might want to show up to the Friday non-finalist screening.  Regardless of where you sit in the alphabet, if you're present, you're more than welcome to come to the booth and let us know that you're in attendance, and if we haven't played your video already, we'll move it to the top of the list so you get a chance to see it.  We have just enough time to show each video once!

-------------------------------------

Iron Editor:

i6EFyJ4.png
Who:
Two new challengers appear as we reboot Iron Editor: Otakon, again!  JMI Productions takes on Mysunsai!

What:
It's Iron Editor Hostess Mel's birthday, so she's throwing a dance party.  Otakon's not allowed to have a dance, so instead, each contestant will have two hours to create their most dance-tastic AMV they can. Only one editor will emerge victorious.  Things will probably still get sweaty, gross, and loud, so it's almost like the real thing!

How?
Each contestant will be given 5 anime sources, and all five must be used. Each contestant is allowed to cut their audio ahead of time and bring it with them to the event. They may bring multiple tracks if they so desire, as no audio will be provided during the event. In addition, each editor must use at least 1 second of the secret ingredient.

Sources:
Aikatsu Stars!
IDOLiSH7
Princess Tutu
D4DJ
Welcome to the Ballroom
Plus a secret ingredient too awesome to list!

When and Where:
Saturday, August 7th, 2:45pm, AMV Theater (time and date subject to change).

Why?
Free badge if you compete. Free medal if you win!

-------------------
OLD THINGS
-------------------
Vlad.  Also...

AMV Contest Rules: https://www.otakon.com/activities/amv-contest/

Very important takeaway in regards to our "anti-trolling policy".  We've always ignored awards issued by online contests, and that doesn't change this year, but it's especially important to note that this also takes into account cons that would have normally held in-person events, but couldn't this year.  Ex: AWA 2020 was virtual-only.  Even if your video won "Best in show, life, the universe, and everything", since it had no live in-person screening, we're treating it like any other online contest.  This should hopefully result in fewer removed entries as I'm pretty sure the planet, much like an EA PC game, has been "online-only" for quite a while.

AMV Contest deadline is July 4th.  I'll be celebrating with burgers, beer, and MP4s  :?

POTENTIAL PANELISTS:
DON'T HESITATE!  The deadline to sign up is 6/20!
Otakon panel signup: https://www.otakon.com/activities/panels/
Put "AMV" somewhere in the panel title or description so that I can find it easier.

Edited by VicBond007
AMV Contest Finalists
On 6/8/2021 at 11:41 AM, VicBond007 said:

Oh boy, here I go AMVing again!

Otakon 2021 is back open for business, and so is AMV Theater.

Went ahead and submitted my form, however when I registered on the FTP server, I didn't receive a confirmation email with a password so I'm unable to login and upload my video. 

I sent an email (to you I think😁) earlier today to see if I need to try something else.